Print Page | Close Window

Anchor Warp

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: The Briny Bar
Forum Description: The place for general chat on saltwater fishing!
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=132417
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 3:33pm

Topic: Anchor Warp
Posted By: Uffy
Subject: Anchor Warp
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 7:28am
Purchased approximately 1 year ago a 50m anchor warp (from a reputable source). Yesterday this parted mid water leaving anchor and chain on the bottom. Got home and checked the rope and found it to be virtually disintegrating in my hands. A good and intellegent friend thought it may be exposure to UV from the sun. I need to replace the entire rig and would appreciate any advice on the best rope to use. (I think the last was polyproylene).
Cheers, Uffy.

Replies:
Posted By: Derek F
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 7:47am
I definitely like nylon best.  It sinks, not that this should matter for anchor rope. It is way easier on the hands. It does stretch which I like because it takes the tension away gently (so less likely to ripe anchor free or snap)  

-------------
And the trouble is, if you don't risk anything, you risk even more...Erica Jong

Posted By: waynorth
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 8:54am
Nylon for sure. It's dearer, but also stronger, it sinks, has more stretch, and is far less affected by UV. Polyprop is one of the worst for UV degradation.

-------------
treat fish like fish

Posted By: Steps
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 10:02am
I have been under the impression anchor warps where nylon, not poly.
 because of the UV factor and with stretch, in chop/ swells etc it gives added spring without lifting the end of the chain as much.

The UV thing... it is only the chain thats left exposed on the deck 99.9% of the time....and what is exposed will not be the same length very often...

You sure its a UV thing?

Posted By: pjc
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 12:54pm
should end for end anchor warps every year,nylon is the answer not polypropylene

There is some cheap poly out there

THIS CRAP will break down 

Polypropylene Rope Anchor Warp Pack 12mm x 100m  ONLY $99.99

Anchor pack of nylon rope with a thimble spliced in one end. Suitable for boats up to 11m.

12mm x 100 metre

Price $199.99

Might seem exspensive at the time but whats a chain/anchor worth every couple of years??

-------------
Sex at 58.Lucky I live at 56

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 3:50pm
should end for end anchor warps every year,nylon is the answer not polypropylene

Never thought about reversing , certainly see the pluses espec on moored type boats.

Might seem exspensive at the time but whats a chain/anchor worth every couple of years??

Had my warp on the trailer boat .. its over 8yrs.. some of the chain over 10yrs plus.
 And the 'extenstion' warp to anchor over 60 m is also used for scallope dredge..not that we use even 1/2 of that.

And sure when got the 'extension' wasnt that much. Had to get it , anchor got jambed in rocks about 40m cut it free

Big danger with nylon is  never use it for towing  pulling stuff out , because it stretches and has memory it will come back at up like a whip.. poly doesnt .

Posted By: cirrus
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 4:03pm
Do they still make anchor rope from jute,coir ,sisal etc.

maybe a centuries old option.

And the alluring nautical smell of Stockholm Tar wafting through the cabin.

Posted By: MATTOO
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 4:16pm
Cirrus they do and it's still available.

But pretty pricy.

Nylon is a cheap bang for back option.

On my drum winch I used a dyneema to gain strength with reduced diameter.
Pricey option though.

And Steps.... yes UV damage because it's a very low grade warp.
Doesn't like water, warmth and 50 plus suntan lotion.

-------------
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!

Posted By: krow
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 9:22pm
Where are you Uffy? Might be the odd diver around that could reclaim your anchor. 

Posted By: CoastalStan
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 9:52pm
There is even various grades on nylon. I have tried a couple and now stick to the expensive stuff, from memory it’s about $7 a metre. Samson Pro-set. It doesn’t swell when wet, harden or break down. You really notice when the cheap ones swell and within 12 months they start to foul the winch. 10mm will end up 12mm and really bad at the splice. Go and see Chains,Ropes and anchors, they’ll definitely put you right.

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by CoastalStan CoastalStan wrote:

There is even various grades on nylon. I have tried a couple and now stick to the expensive stuff, from memory it’s about $7 a metre. Samson Pro-set. It doesn’t swell when wet, harden or break down. You really notice when the cheap ones swell and within 12 months they start to foul the winch. 10mm will end up 12mm and really bad at the splice. Go and see Chains,Ropes and anchors, they’ll definitely put you right.
and Grant will do the fancy splice on to chain for free.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 5:23am
Thanks for the feedback everyone. It seems nylon is the way to go. I have an older style Fryan with an anchor well in the bow. I have cover to keep the leaves an rubbish out but the well is still exposed to the sun. Might also be an idea to make up a cover for the anchor well also.
Cheers all.
Uffy.

Posted By: Garry 23041
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 6:11am
I went nylon but in an 8 braid instead of 3 strand.

Negative is it takes away the stretch which is a bit of a shock absorber but it is so nice to lay in loops and stays soft as, compared to 3 strand which can get pretty stiff...

It's even more money though.

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 8:44am
"fancy" splicing is quite easy.. espec loops.. just under  an over.
Back splice same...biggest problem and time factor, here is only do it once every decade or so, and rem which way the crown knot goes.

What has happened to all the old basic skills kids learnt in the 50s and 60s?

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

"fancy" splicing is quite easy.. espec loops.. just under  an over.
Back splice same...biggest problem and time factor, here is only do it once every decade or so, and rem which way the crown knot goes.

What has happened to all the old basic skills kids learnt in the 50s and 60s?
He does so it tappers through the chain,if using a gypsy it will ride through without tearing at the rope.

It is not the old chain sitting in the crown know doing a back splice as that creates a wear point.

-------------

Posted By: waynorth
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

He does so it tappers through the chain,if using a gypsy it will ride through without tearing at the rope.

It is not the old chain sitting in the crown know doing a back splice as that creates a wear point.

The slimline version you might be referring to PJC is a modified longsplice, and although definitely slimmer, the disadvantage is only 2 of the 3 rope strands go through the chain link and carry the weight. The 3rd strand gets unwound & chased up the rope. Youtube has videos as always.

I prefer the chain link sitting within the crown knot - theoretically 50% stronger & more chafe resistant, as all 3 strands pass through the end chain link. Although it's definitely a thicker splice, my gypsy transitions from rope to chain OK (tapering the last couple of tucks would help), and the wear from the gypsy doesn't seem excessive. 

-------------
treat fish like fish

Posted By: Big -Dave
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 9:45pm
I'm getting fed up with the 3 strand line on my winch twisting and not falling well in the locker. I know my height is a bit minimal, but seeing a nice cone of rope up the front is getting annoying..

-------------
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 8:12am
Noticing that my warp is sort of getting twists as well.
 I use a capstan and its laid side to side semi coils rather in round coil.
Its just getting to the stage laying it  it doesnt lay as well. Thinking about pulling it out lay it down the drive and un twist it soon.

Edit : there was a mention of reversing as best practice above somewhere..
 maybe just reversing would also reverse the twists.. and if does would mean it may last longer between becoming a nuance???

maybe is a reason why they should be reversed??

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 9:11am
Why I suggested(good practice) is on a 100m warp you use say 50m which is exposed,chaffing etc just because it looks good outside doesnt necessary mean the cores is good so why waste 50m when you can end for end it .The old yellow terylene? warps I have seen some that could be 30yrs old or more

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 11:27am
On my drum winch I used a dyneema to gain strength with reduced diameter.
Pricey option though.

Just got a notification from Marine deals

It this the stuff Mattoo?

https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/ropes/fineline-dyneema-advantage-rope-per-metre?sc_eh=5cfacef909db12cb1&sc_llid=36333&sc_lid=285063002&utm_campaign=04%2F12%2F2019+Midweek+Deals&utm_medium=email&sc_src=email_3818433&sc_uid=SD2C1raq5j&utm_source=MailingList" rel="nofollow - https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/ropes/fineline-dyneema-advantage-rope-per-metre?sc_eh=5cfacef909db12cb1&sc_llid=36333&sc_lid=285063002&utm_campaign=04%2F12%2F2019+Midweek+Deals&utm_medium=email&sc_src=email_3818433&sc_uid=SD2C1raq5j&utm_source=MailingList

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 9:48pm
[QUOTE=Steps] Noticing that my warp is sort of getting twists as well.
 I use a capstan and its laid side to side semi coils rather in round coil.
Its just getting to the stage laying it  it doesnt lay as well. Thinking about pulling it out lay it down the drive and un twist it soon.

Edit : there was a mention of reversing as best practice above somewhere..
 maybe just reversing would also reverse the twists.. and if does would mean it may last longer between becoming a nuance???

maybe is a reason why they should be reversed??

When I got it, it was second hand, and a bit tatty, so I reversed it..
It's been a couple of years now.
I've also had issues with the splice loosening up..time to do it again.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 6:31am
Did not realise I may have opened such a "can of worms".

Krow: I live at Urquarts Bay whangarei Heads and the rope parted in the "rip" at the entrance. Not too worried about the retrieval but thanks for the offer.

PJC: I have a mate with the yellow warp you refered to. Have been fishing with him regularly for a long time and the warp would have been there for at minimum 20 years (I should know as I am the one hauling it in ) . Not sure of its type but it has surely lasted the distance over many years of use.

Had a look around and there seen to be some reasonable deals available on nylon.

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 8:16am
I've also had issues with the splice loosening up..time to do it again.
Thats usually caused by the initial splice should have a couple more tucks, and/ or the tucks not pulled thru and splice rolled well under foot when finished before trimming tags.

Its the rolling that sets the splice which also makes foe a small diameter when pulled thru on each tuck.
 Once rolled ..then unravel the tags  trim but not right back then burn /melt the furry remains... and roll to extinguish/ form good finish if melting.

I picked this stuff up with the old man and in scouts early 60s

Posted By: Fishinmad1
Date Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 6:56pm
I’m a scout leader, I try to teach the kids how to do splices, whipping and knots and they don’t want to know. It’s boring they say. What I tell them is it may save your life or someone else’s one day. But I’ve got one step ahead of them now, I Chomecast Animated knots of my IPad to a TV because it’s on a device they seem to pay more attention.

Posted By: Alan L
Date Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 7:51pm
Funny how knots /splicing isn't important anymore. Until you need one.
Who you gonna call?
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Posted By: Garry 23041
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 6:12am
I have read on cruising forums that when nylon starts getting stiff from age and salt water you can wash it.

I think in warm water and detergent but It's been many years since I read it..mr google may help. (saltaway may be the go)

Anyway supposed to soften it up again assuming it was ok to start it's life.

These are all reasons I went to 8 strand braided.

Alan there is absolutely no use for knots in the virtual world bro!

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 8:49am
I Chomecast Animated knots

Suggestion have a look at a app  knots 3D  paid

Has a special Scouts section

Have given to 3 of the grandchildren on their chome books
They are in cubs scouts.. daughter (their mum) is a leader

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by Garry 23041 Garry 23041 wrote:

Alan there is absolutely no use for knots in the virtual world bro!

Maybe we will be doing virtual knots in the future. That should secure my virtual boat real well.
If they can't tie knots how is the next generation going to fish? Buy pre rigged gear?
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 2:50pm
Na! Just rely on good old SeaLord or maybe virtual fishing

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 4:13pm
How many time here, have people seen boats come in tied up.. well meant to be.. and drift away.
Or people have no idea how to drop a couple coils over a post to make a clove hitch?
Or even know which way aroun a cleat the 1st turn goes to form what id basically a clove hitch aound the cleat

or know what a cleat is?
Tie basic .. essential knots like a bowline or alpine.
 Even shoes dont have laces..
And if do know how to tie laces so they dont come undone..

The later used to be my 1st lesson to parents at the 1st soccer practice when I used to coach.
 And for those who dont know.. the lace knot undoes from the bottom not the top, because of foot movement in the boot/ shoe...which means the laces need to be pulled up tight.. from the bottom lace eyes.

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 4:48pm
I learnt to the all the essential knots in Scouts back in the late 60’s early 70’s if we didn’t get it right Skip used to give us a swift kick in the butt. Back then you payed attention otherwise you got a clip around the ear. Then in the Navy as a seaman same thing, I’m getting out of scouts at the end of this year as there is to much PC B/S you might hurt their feelings. I do a height safety refresher course every 2 years for my job and every time I end up helping the instructor on the practical stuff because the dip ****s can’t tie a figure 8 knot which is what they use nowadays. But I still use bowlines and alpine butterflies on my safety lines, plus I won’t use a safety line if someone else ties the knots. My line my knots.

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 5:12pm
"My line my knots."

Exactly same for my fishing gear.  Same reason I don't run my lures on other peoples gear anymore. But if I had a rope my life depended on, it would be my knots too. For sure.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 9:34am
Scouts back in the late 60’s early 70’s ......

....I’m getting out of scouts at the end of this year as there is to much PC B/S you might hurt their feelings.

That stuff started around '68 with  from memory  the " new look"
 Change uniforms.. The kaki was too military.. took away all my hard earned lanyards, sheath knife that went with the uniform up into ventures..
 Then local council though it prudent to build a pub car park over the scout den.. a group that had 2 cub packs  and 3 scout troops (4 patrols each) a venture and rovers groups.

My line my knots.
That was the std back then.. cant tie tie you dont bloody go..
can’t tie a figure 8 knot which is what they use nowadays
 That the old  reef knot?.. renamed?

They have no idea how to lace boots either.. so boot can be laid open , or dropped off in a single motion of a knife..

Or sharpen said knife.

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 2:28pm
figure 8 and reef knot 2 different knots, f8 used a stopper so rope wont pull out of pulley,reef knot to join 2 equal dia ropes together .

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 9:00am
Thats what I thought...one of the grandchildren was calling a reef a square cause of the even shape before pulled up...as per told at scouts..

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 9:09am
We where talking about the professional instruction thing last night over a BBQ gathering...1 person being being a school teacher of some decades out door experience in bush and rock faces.
He has to go to saftey instruction thing for the school.
 His opinion of the professional instruction is they are straight out of the book, no actual experience under stress, and far too often down right dangerous.
We just got to look back at those school children  (and families) that got 'caught out' and drowned in central nth island a few yrs ago...
Couldnt or didnt even check forecast for heavy rain the the hills behind..And those rains where predicted , on time 5 days before....
 All under professional safety guidance....
Basic basic stuff.
 And seems back to the same old now, accidents waiting to happen..

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 9:45am
to many relying on app things,no understanding how to read a map/chart,
Scouting today is a child minder sercice,most kids do not want to learn,i dropped out as cub leader 6yrs ago

You cant talk to my child like that."well they need to show respect" Oh it raining  and you are going camping."Yep its life" 
You are irresponsible letting them cook on a fire.Why if they get burnt lesson learnt and need to listen to instructions.

What do we want to that for ? this boring . etc

No wonder some youth are where they are today.Parents!

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 9:51am
I really do understand where you are coming from... Then we moved down here, 300m from the edge of Auckland..
 And the kids are very different...extremely very different.. including a different shape  (O to I shape)
 And so are the parents...except a handful who moved down to give the children a better life, and dont let them have it.

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2019 at 8:24pm
Back to this...
I went to redo my splice tonight, and found this...
I'm a bit over it, I want to try braided rope..
Anyone in Hamilton a wizz on splicing braid?

-------------

Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 18 Dec 2019 at 10:50pm
look it up on you tube Dave. I have found the hardest part is starting it. It's pretty obvious when you get it right. I do my own splicing and I'm kind of knot dyslexic. It takes me hours of practice to perfect. The problem is I don't do enough splicing to remember it.

-------------
Best gurnard fisherman in my street

Date Posted: 19 Dec 2019 at 9:35am
end to end is the simplest of splice..
make sure you have generous tail length ends
 1st tail over and under, next the same...
 A philips screw driver and long nose pliers help greatly.

once got enough spliced.
 lay it on the ground.. hard surface.. and roll it very vigorously back and forth under foot... shoes on
 This gets everything into a good shape
 Load it and re roll a few times.

now fray the tag ends.. light one up and when its melted burnt back close to not up to the main rope, drop it on the floor and roll it.

Print Page | Close Window