Print Page | Close Window

Frozen Zips

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: Hints,Tips and How To's
Forum Description: Rigs, tackle, baits, angling techniques, tips and hints & your DIY projects here
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=132200
Printed Date: 30 Mar 2024 at 12:54am

Topic: Frozen Zips
Posted By: Vundu
Subject: Frozen Zips
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 7:16pm
Hi people,

does anyone of you know a trick or what to use to stop the zips on my bags from freezing, after a day out on the boat. Can't always avoid the contact with saltwater and the bags usually land in a corner until the next day out. Takes a while to free them up again.

Cheers Vundu

Replies:
Posted By: Fish Addict
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 7:44pm
A silicone spray might be a solution. The zips on my boat clears used to seize up with the salt spray. Hot water would free them and then a spray with silicone has made them much better.

Posted By: pjc
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 8:01pm
Run some dry lube up the zip when open.type of lube you use car door stays.its like a wax.

-------------
Sex at 58.Lucky I live at 56

Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 8:06pm
Both those ideas are good.

-------------
Best gurnard fisherman in my street

Posted By: terrafish
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 9:47pm
As smudge says. and just stay fairly regular with the application

Posted By: Steps
Date Posted: 31 Oct 2019 at 8:02am
Be very  very careful applying.. clears and these products dont do well together.

My Bimmini/clear zips get a light lanocoate aerosol spray on a large elcheapo artist paint brush and rubbed in couple times a yr.. along with my wetsuit/ dive bag/ lunch bag zips etc.
 This is done 2 or 3 times a yr.

Also every 3 or 4 trips carefully spray the stitched canvas/ areas behind the clears with gone in 30 mins.. again dont get on clears surface.
 This stops that green mould forming behind clears around the seams.

Posted By: Vundu
Date Posted: 31 Oct 2019 at 5:01pm
Thanks guys, will try the silicon first. Another idea would be a suitable bag without zips. Might have a look what is out there.

Posted By: terrafish
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 9:19pm
Talked about something similar today regarding corrosion and salt. Mate said half half mix white vinegar and water should free them up. Apparently also good for removing green corrosion off of rod guides and reels. I'll have to hope the zip on my bag freezes before I can confirm that tho!!

Posted By: Fishinmad1
Date Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 8:13pm
Good stuff that’s what I use to clean my canvas tent when the birds crap on it.

Posted By: Steps
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 8:41am
 FMad  Make sure you re treat .. you remove all the anti rot/ preservative with detergents acids etc.
Good quick blast, soak light, quick scrub will have the tent/bimini last many yrs longer.

Side note on that, our canvas bimini on the boat.. it and the clears have been up for 10yrs from new, outside, much of the time full sun...
Originally I treated with canvas tent stuff...then since then few times a yr, good spray with a can of supercheap elcheapo blue can 3 for $10 tyre shine...
Not the clears thu
 They get meguires quick detail car polish, use as little as possible

Posted By: Fishinmad1
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 10:33am
No worries I do treat the area with canvas w/ proofing I get from the tent shop of K Rd

Print Page | Close Window