Print Page | Close Window

great barrier family trip advice

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: The Briny Bar
Forum Description: The place for general chat on saltwater fishing!
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=131658
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 9:38pm

Topic: great barrier family trip advice
Posted By: spin king
Subject: great barrier family trip advice
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 11:42am
gidday, thinking about taking my little young family for a week at barrier any advice tips etc, I want to ferry and take my smartwave 3500 cheers

Replies:
Posted By: Don18025
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 2:42pm
That will be a great trip for the whole family and the kids will love it, plus you will get some fishing as well. You have a tow wagon and boat, so your team can travel around. The roads are not motorways, so take your time and ensure you enjoy the views. But the distances are not large. 
The Ferry will unload you at Tryphena. There are quite a few lodges, apartments and rentals around Tryphena, and it is a good place to base yourself, plus there is a shop and some local watering holes.  A strong westerly wind will not make Tryphena happy for boating, but you can drive to the East Coast to Medlands, which is a beaut beach especially for kids. The best weather tends to be November through to May.....these equinoxial winds make life tough at the moment. There is some great hiking and hotwater springs behind Whangaparapara - always plenty to do.
I have a mate who takes his caravan and boat and stays at the Medlands Camping ground, if the weather is not great for boating he becomes a beachcomber!. nice surf beach.
On the West Coast you should have no problem launching at Tryphena, Blind Bay and Whangaparapara Harbour. To visit Port Fitzroy you need to drive to Fitzroy (the only public ramp on that harbour).

Posted By: spin king
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 6:32am
Awesome thankyou for the Intel, exactly what I was after.

Posted By: lingee
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 2:44pm
take a pound of dak and all of the barrier people will help you. on a serious word a mate of my lives there and he runs star trek ,bennys his name ,look it up great star viewing for kids and your selfs.cheers

Print Page | Close Window