Forum Name: The Work-Up
Forum Description: Game fishing related topics here
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=131434
Printed Date: 23 Jan 2021 at 6:07pm

Topic: Gamefishing Updates - Coromandel to BOP - 19/20
Posted By: Sezza
Subject: Gamefishing Updates - Coromandel to BOP - 19/20
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 4:05pm
Game-fishing reports, updates, and pics here. Good luck for the  season.

Replies:
Posted By: MATTOO
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 5:15pm
I. Ah be wrong but wasn't there a blue caught off the Aldermans....

-------------
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!

Posted By: viscount
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 5:07am
Herd of a small yellowfin caught in 350m on a skippy lure out the back of aldies.

-------------
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Schullery

Posted By: bite
Date Posted: 27 Dec 2019 at 7:40am
 2 friends of mine landed 2 y/fin   out the back of mayor yesterday ,  i was going out there today but my old stomach problem i have had for 20 years now bugger of a thing at times ,  has started to play up last night  so land lubed with that for a few days must drink more water at Christmas but the whiskeys been good  but not so for fishing lol the mercury bay club out of whitianga   and back of the auldis  are getting quite a few fins yesterday 

Date Posted: 28 Dec 2019 at 8:55pm
There were ****loads of yft coaught of Coro today
That school is moving fast south.

Record breaking I hear in numbers.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2019 at 7:58pm
 mates  boat i fish on some times , got 3  of mayor yesterday and lost a 60 kg job at the boat  , im going out tomorrow of mayor for one or 2 days hopefully they mit be still around , i love catching y/fin ClapClap

but this must be the best run  since the early 90s  heaps have been landed , hope they stick around 

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 11:06am
got out to mayor for 3 days pulling lures , result was 15 albacore and 1 y/fin  the y/fin 13 kg was part of a double hit the other fish was a albacore  sea rough as on the last day , word is a number of back marlin have been seen  around mayor  one in 40 meters  up by the reserve  ne side of the island, most of the albies we got  where right on top of the alderman rise , but talking to  a niwa scientist friend of the skippers when we got in,  he was saying the albies a really over the place even inside brewers shoal 

Posted By: Grunta
Date Posted: 06 Jan 2020 at 10:51am
Before this westerly flow 200-300m back of the Aldies seemed to be quite productive for YFT - best day was 27 about a week ago but there were a couple of trebs in that and quite a number of boats fishing. Also heard a double up round the Hook area so certainly a few about and worth a look when the weather settles.

Posted By: JK
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 10:55pm
80odd kg stripy weighed in at matarangi yesterday

-------------
LedgeNZ LBG

Posted By: the demon
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 9:47pm
Heard a blue weighed at Tauranga tonight , came very wide of the Aldies .

Posted By: the demon
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2020 at 9:15am
same guy, tag another yesterday . Ocean monach

Posted By: salty69
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 8:40pm
Did a few miles for not many smiles today out of Pauanui today. Initially headed towards Mayor out to 280m and although we picked up a few Albert's the water didnt get above 21.4.
Headed back to behind the Aldies where the water was 23.6.
Pretty quiet day to be fair but a visit from a few dolphins picked our spirits up.
Can change in a heart beat so we'll have anorher crack in a few days.

Posted By: Marligator
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 2:12pm
Took my step daughter Caitlyn out for a gamefish yesterday to try and catch her first marlin, also was the first days game fishing in the new boat. Went out through the Kaituna Cut and headed out the back of Plate Island, water was pretty green and lousy until we got to 150m where I slowed down and put the gear in the water at about 8am. Wandered on out and got into an area in 400m with a heap of Mutton Ducks wheeling around and it looked really fishy, so worked this area and just after 9am the RG1 Koheru on the short rigger got nailed. Well behaved fish which swam away with a tag in it about 35 minutes later, a nice little fish of about 65-70 kg. Not bad to have the first marlin for the boat hooked up in just over an hours trolling (previous owner had caught a heap of fish from it, so new it raised fish). Caitlyn was wrapped to get her first marlin and get that monkey off her shoulder, she just wants to get a bigger one now to hang on the scales.

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 4:02pm
That's just what the doctor ordered.
Happy family and even keener crew.

And a happy skipper with a new successful toy.

Got to be pleased with that.

-------------

Posted By: JasonEdward62
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 8:53am
Just wondering where is currently (pardon the pun) the best place to top up the freezer with skippies? Thanks people and may I wish you all good luck and safe returns to port.

Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2020 at 8:00pm
A couple of nice bluefin tuna for the Tauranga based vessel Leander with skipper Vaughan Mitchell at the helm.

These fish were caught between White Island and Waihau Bay for anglers Nick Peters, Dan Peters, and Arrum Ali on another boat.

Photo Credit and photography courtesy of Arrum Ali.

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2020 at 8:05pm

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Posted By: Fishb8
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2020 at 7:37am
Well done - the bibbed minnows seem to be working well + a lumo👍

-------------
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 2:25pm
Caught yesterday...Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 4:45pm
Do they look happy and ready for a tall tale and beer.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 2:44pm
Beaky bycatch for Hunter Bryce aboard Venator yesterday!!

Hunter, along with Captain Shannon Chambers were working the 1000m mark out the back of the Barrier targeting Southerns when they hooked this winter stranger.

Shot boys - good stuff!

To be weighed in today (18/06/20) - Tairua

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 4:37pm
Well done👍
There are always a few not too far away.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 9:00pm
i see some have posted up on tauranga fishing f/b what are thought to be slender tuna out tauranga 

Posted By: Structfab
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by bite bite wrote:

i see some have posted up on tauranga fishing f/b what are thought to be slender tuna out tauranga 
We got a slender as bycatch on a jig at Cuvier Island Sat 3rd Oct

Posted By: jakepitsville
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 7:14pm
Great catch!

Have found them schooling this time of year in 100 -140m of water.  They dont fight much but taste great if you get one with no worms.

Posted By: Structfab
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by jakepitsville jakepitsville wrote:

Great catch!

Have found them schooling this time of year in 100 -140m of water.  They dont fight much but taste great if you get one with no worms.

was riddled with worms Wink

Posted By: JasonEdward62
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 5:26am
You can try gutting them immediately on getting them aboard. I may be wrong but I think the worms burrow into the flesh from the gut.
Maybe someone can confirm if this is true or not...

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 10:44am
Pending NZ Record ClapClapClap

Wyatt Johnston
Black Marlin 364 Kg
37Kg
Lollipop

Weighed at Whakatane yesterday, would post the pic but site not cooperative today.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 4:18pm
Al, why is it a pending record.

-------------

Posted By: Muppet
Date Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 5:21pm
Junior

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

Cos there is a strict criteria the fish must go through with IGFA rules and NZ Sportfishing rules, so they will measure and scrutinise the line, double, leader, lure and hook rig, method of capture, flying gaff rope length and so on...

I think in terms of a NZ Record it has to be approved with the NZ Sportfishing council, previously NZ Big Game Fishing Council which most NZ gamefishing clubs affiliate to...

Big Fish Bob, Bob Gutsell President of NZ Sportfishing Council please add comments...Clap

PS, I do not know if Angler is a Junior (under 16)

-------------

Posted By: yknot
Date Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 5:58pm
Fantastic achiement for junior. Congratulations to Junior and crew

-------------
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.

Posted By: Muppet
Date Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 8:38pm
Saw it on FB but as usual not reliable until his name is in record I guess.

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 10:03am
Yes he was 15.

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/whakat-ne-15-year-old-hooks-360kg-black-marlin-despite-broken-collarbone?fbclid=IwAR1mZyK2wiQ5gPk8czpK7e4IGe609xRSBXe-ICnFpo-aXAyCupj6vS83JKY%20" rel="nofollow - https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/whakat-ne-15-year-old-hooks-360kg-black-marlin-despite-broken-collarbone?fbclid=IwAR1mZyK2wiQ5gPk8czpK7e4IGe609xRSBXe-ICnFpo-aXAyCupj6vS83JKY

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 4:11pm
Thanks.

Impressive achievement.

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 6:32pm
Very impressive, indeed! Well done👍
As someone who has broken both collar bones, I know how uncomfortable it must have been but using your legs is the proper way to play a fish. These are the strongest muscles of the body.

-------------

Posted By: shaneg
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 5:18pm
Did a day out to back of Cuvier and beyond on 30th Dec. 14 hour day in the 490 stabi and she wasn’t calm apart from small lee at back of Cuvier. Was good day with variety of fish and even had strike on the centre rigger, running 30 everol which wife landed a small albie off. Certainly got heart racing when it popped clip though.
Got a couple of  big grand daddy puka and few nice snapper, pulled hook on real big snapper on a butterfly jig that played a while before pulling hook near boat. Finished off with a nice king late in day jigged off never fail. As we made our way back to matarangi in a sloppy sea. There were big schools of large kahawai at back of mercs being harassed by big predators ... at least one big shark and few big kings. Wife took some nice photos as below.

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 7:22pm
Great day out Shane.
We're in toots first time for what, 12 months.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 7:51pm
Good luck Matt, toots too busy for me in the holiday park for while, but will be up soon. Am lookin doing Mokes on Tuesday from Leigh, looks like ok forecast for a day trip.

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 8:37pm
Quiet as up here Shane,
Struggle to see more than ten boats on the water today.

No fish around.though.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 9:17pm
classic mate, not many at boat ramp either, but few more fish about I would say than your post suggests.. go get em.

Posted By: Grunta
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2021 at 12:08pm
There's a few fish about between Aldies and North of the Hook. Stripeys and YFT and action area yesterday was from the Hook to about 5nm South. Depth 150-250m. YFT boated in ~100m depth off the Red later in the day.

Posted By: Bigfishbob
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

Cos there is a strict criteria the fish must go through with IGFA rules and NZ Sportfishing rules, so they will measure and scrutinise the line, double, leader, lure and hook rig, method of capture, flying gaff rope length and so on...

I think in terms of a NZ Record it has to be approved with the NZ Sportfishing council, previously NZ Big Game Fishing Council which most NZ gamefishing clubs affiliate to...

Big Fish Bob, Bob Gutsell President of NZ Sportfishing Council please add comments...Clap

PS, I do not know if Angler is a Junior (under 16)

Sorry for the slow response, I only had my phone with me on holiday, and I only use that for checking Facebook and Email...and occasionally doing phone calls! Strange but True!

There are separate application processes for NZ and International records, because the records are administered by two different organisations. There is quite a bit of information to be recorded on each application form, and also requires samples of line for testing, etc. So until all that is received reviewed and line tests complete, record applications are referred to as pending. It usually takes a few weeks for NZ records, but IGFA can take much longer, up to 6 months in some cases for no apparent reason. They certainly won't be any quicker with international shipping on a go slow.

-------------
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2021 at 4:35pm
Thanks,

Hope you get a result.

My pending question was originally for what type of record.
But all that answered now.

Cheers.
M

-------------

Print Page | Close Window