Forum Name: Gamefishing Updates and Reports Archive
Forum Description: Key info and threads from previous gamefishing seasons
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=131433
Printed Date: 30 Mar 2024 at 1:00am

Topic: Gamefishing Updates to Dec '23 - Tutukaka
Posted By: Sezza
Subject: Gamefishing Updates to Dec '23 - Tutukaka
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 4:04pm
Game-fishing reports, updates, and pics here. Good luck for the  season.

Replies:
Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 2:23pm
Reel Nauti, has landed 2 YFT todayClapClap

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Posted By: MATTOO
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 5:14pm
Oh my god, that school is moving down.
Great result, beautiful eating. Be off Tauranga soon

Season is shaping up to be full of food and great angling.

Yahoo

-------------
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!

Posted By: muppetshow
Date Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 8:22am
Tutukaka has been fishing okay for the water that is there lots of rat yellowfin tuna (yefalin). Boxing day 9-10 yefalin caught, 27th similar number, 28th we caught 2 yefalin 12 and 14kg and a marlin 106kg, 2 other stripes caught, a shortbill and another 10+ yefalin, lots not bothering to call them in as they are under 15kg. 29 th and 30th similar number of yefalin we fished and picked up 2 more rats 11 and 14kg. picture of marlin close to boat

Posted By: NZTurtle
Date Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 9:23am
Nice work MS. Were there birds on the tuna or just blind strikes. Giving it a nudge tomorrow, trying to target YFT.

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 10:52am
Thanks for the insights Muppetshow.

That's a nice fish.

Sounds like Gamefishing is going well for many.

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by NZTurtle NZTurtle wrote:

Nice work MS. Were there birds on the tuna or just blind strikes. Giving it a nudge tomorrow, trying to target YFT.

Good luck 2mro Davo.

Bite times and tides for toots 2mro are;

Low 0617 Hi 1236 Low 1855

Major activity 0548 - 0748, 1803 - 2003

Minor Activity 1211 - 0111, 1126 - 1226

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Posted By: 9628
Date Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 9:31am
Ran lures yesterday further south from Toots ocean beach etc absolutely useless heaps of dolphins though with workups by them no fish at all and no bites.

Posted By: DTF
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 11:59am
Cold Green water trapped inside the 200m line behind the knights has not moved in the last week (keeping the bait in that area) . we landed a Marlin in it last week along with a boat close by. Later in the day several YFT landed in 210 a little south.  The fish are definitely not eating the blue water at the moment WackoLOL

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 9:10pm
Any current Intel out of toots.
Hunting here tomorrow and Saturday.

Anything helpful appreciated.

M

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 10:39am
Not many boats been out with the wind we have been having. last day I fished was 2nd Jan and 200mtrs behind sth end of knights 4 stripes were tagged and some yefalin caught. water was rolling with fingers of Blue and green temps fluctuating from 18-19.5c

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 5:20pm
Thanks muppetshow.

Had a great day out with mate Geoff and his son Andrew.
We made some right calls.
Others dubious.
The v was alive and sedate water, the north end of Knights was lumpy and alive.
The return to toots was ****e.

We saw flying fish.
A good number of explosions. Sunfish and a shark in there. We caught skippies and albies. We found a concentrated patch of albies.
Know of two Marlin hooked and dropped, another landed a trailer seen and chased by two boats.

You'ld think from what I said you'd rush up here.

Honestly, very quiet really. Don't bust a gut to get up here. Genuinely not worth it yet.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 8:40pm
Nice evening in toots as the moon peers over the headland.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 12:34pm
Well if you hadn't made your way up then you would of missed out.

If you looked at the weather you would of seen that Today was good weather, moon in the right place, tides great, temps great although wide in conjunction with the blue water.

So if you looked at the opportunity and ignored my previous post above you should be have a great day.

As a fisherman you would of seen the actual opportunity.

Though toots car park would of been a nightmare with the emporium comp on.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 7:25pm
Did the Full Moon produce for you Mat?

-------------

Posted By: [email protected]
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 7:35pm
Didnt for a lot of people!!!

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 7:09am
There was a stack of life up there.
The first seven ks out of toots was full of flying fish, and lots of bird flocks.
The first zone we went to was full of albies and skippies. There were a number of birds.
This zone we saw a number of explosions of some size which we were unable to identify. This zone also showed good bait sign and in this general area there were two stripes caught.

So Al yes.

-------------

Posted By: Xtoad
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 3:45pm
There were a few fish off mumu and Brett as well, nice water outside 200/230.
Took a moon shot at the same time from Whangamumu.
Stu

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 8:38pm
Ran lures for 9 hrs today off toots for zip zero zilch
However watched a man battle a monster of a yellowfin tuna I think
in 230m east of the knights left him to it as he was making no progress for a long time in fact it was gaining string on him not vice versa hope he landed it as may be the best for the year it was a whopper show stopper at least 5 feet could be more didn't think
they grew that big anymore.

Posted By: Schmity
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 8:08am
Fished out of bland bay yesterday.
Went straight out and through the "v" . Very quite, water temp 19 degrees so headed down to the knights. Water temp picked up to 20.3 north of the knights and picked up an albacore. That was it for the rest of the day so stopped for a deep drop on the way home and picked up a good gem fish for dinner. Beautiful day on the water though,

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 2:15pm
anyone been successful with skippies yet cant seem to find them

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 4:23pm
There are plenty out there and albies.
And a few Marlin if your interested.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 5:40pm
Have not had any luck yet out from oceans and around toots was thinking of going south maybe little barrier for a crack next week any intel would be great to me this year seems dead as plenty of snaps but no ky trevs or the like have resorted to smoking snaps no sashimi woe is me

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 6:28pm
Probably a little early for Oceans and down towards 'Lil Barrier yet mate, I would be working the V area between Knights and Brett...

Mattoo may chine in as he was out there in the weekend.Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 6:42pm
Couple of nice YFT todayClap

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 6:47pm
Don't you love seeing al these yft Al.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 10:23am
yep agreed ky are just turning up at h and cs and in the harbour saw some today

Posted By: DTF
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 10:29am
Two years ago landed a stripey out of an area that had about 10 tailing marlin in the afternoon 70m north of little barrier on anniversary W/E - Cannot wright places like that off.

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 7:12pm
went north on Tuesday up to poor ks got 1 alby and lost a much bigger one things are warming up nicely in the zone saw a couple of intense workups and 3 big monster sharks around 2.5 to 3m just waiting to eat all those tagged stripeys coming down rather them than me.

Posted By: JESUSFREAK
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 7:58pm
Thanks for sharing that. Im dragging few lures on the way to PKs for a dive. Any updates on the action? What lures are the yft after?

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 8:06pm
Put a deep,diver in your mix or a rapala.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 8:30pm
Good ideađź‘Ť

Posted By: krow
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 10:14pm
Saturday spent finding the Marlin with no Action for us but 11 Tagged in the comp. 
Sunday had one (I think Blue) about 09:30 come in and have a couple of looks at the shotgun with it's back well out of the water. Not lit up and didn't bite. Later had what I think was another Blue come in and smash the short corner. Peeled about 500m off the 80w before surfacing and doing a few greyhounds still travelling away from us then dug in again. Travelled a hell of a lot of distance and the line got well down on the spool even though i was chasing it with gear still to clear. We had 2 boats drive completely over it trolling lures too but it was deep so lucky but the hook pulled after about 35 minutes with about 400m of line still out. Wasn't bill wrapped as just the slightest chaff near the hook that looked like from it's mouth. 
Plenty marlin and believe it or not Yellowfin tuna about. Most of the boats that came across the YFT on the weekend had multi hookups some landing up to 4. Sadly they avoided us. 
Probably over 20 Striped Marlin caught this weekend. Mind you there were a few boats out there. After we lost our one we had 25 boats in view. Two of them hooked up just after we dropped ours but they stuck and tagged them both. 

Posted By: Sambosi
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 11:33pm
Echo your comments Krow, great to see so many fish caught (tagged) in the tourney.  We fished most of today as well and finally found where they were, quite a few jumping all around us, good to see as I have not seen that many marlin this early for quite a few years.

We were off the radio by 4 but seemed to be no YF today.

Posted By: JustAnotherSpearo
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 5:50am
Many if any bait balls? I'm picking Ill have to wait till a little later in the season for them to be off oceans to try spear a unicorn.

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 5:27pm
Didnt see any bait balls just a few flying fish...oh and a massive shark that made the marlin it was eating look snack size, didn't 100% positive ID species but the snout was quite pointy.

Posted By: shaneg
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 8:45pm
Unlucky on the Blue, Doug.  Staying connected for first 5 -10 minutes is usually the hardest part.

I fished on Sambosi in weekend with Simon and Trev.  Thanks for great weekend on a very comfortable boat with excellent company.

The SHARK .... Simon is not exaggerating when talking about that shark, which when initially sighted under few hovering birds, I called as a big tiger shark.
On reflection and on our second of three passes we did around and over top of it - it was most likely a big mature white shark, as I have seen a lot of large  makos in my time and they ain’t that round,  or that coloration. This thing had an est 75 - 85 kg marlin in its mouth swimming it sideways. It had similar dimensions to rat king and a piper in its mouth. It was so round it looked like it had swallowed a large cow.
Absolutely awesome sight which will be forever etched in my mind, and hopefully only occasionally resurfaces when I am kayak fishing .... as it did yesterday morning after I got bitten off, in morning off the East Coast Bays.

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 9:11pm
Photos or video of the shark would be awesome please.

Posted By: Muppet
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 9:31pm
Sounds like a Great White. That would be quite a sight seeing it swim around with a take away Marlin.

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 9:42pm
Alas we were so in awe...  and arguing over what shark type it was no one took a photo, nor were there videos of the double yellow fin strike with both fish falling off, the splendid sights of free jumping marlin sighted, or a marlin jumping and being  played by nearby  boat.
Best part is seeing this stuff in person ,  rather than via a screen. Can highly recommend it- do it regularly and you don’t need photos, as the memories are permanently etched in your brain.

Posted By: Fishb8
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 7:44am
Bet the shark's lunch was a previously tagged marlin.

-------------
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken

Posted By: MB
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 8:19am
Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

Put a deep,diver in your mix or a rapala.

As a novice game fisherman, I would ask how do deep divers go when running surface lures on other rods. Is there more chance of line crossover/tangles when turning. 

Date Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 8:35am
Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

Unlucky on the Blue, Doug.  Staying connected for first 5 -10 minutes is usually the hardest part.

I fished on Sambosi in weekend with Simon and Trev.  Thanks for great weekend on a very comfortable boat with excellent company.

The SHARK .... Simon is not exaggerating when talking about that shark, which when initially sighted under few hovering birds, I called as a big tiger shark.
On reflection and on our second of three passes we did around and over top of it - it was most likely a big mature white shark, as I have seen a lot of large  makos in my time and they ain’t that round,  or that coloration. This thing had an est 75 - 85 kg marlin in its mouth swimming it sideways. It had similar dimensions to rat king and a piper in its mouth. It was so round it looked like it had swallowed a large cow.
Absolutely awesome sight which will be forever etched in my mind, and hopefully only occasionally resurfaces when I am kayak fishing .... as it did yesterday morning after I got bitten off, in morning off the East Coast Bays.

Love reading posts like this! Maybe not the night before a dive trip though!

Date Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 4:11pm
Know,
Sounds like you were in the right place.
That must of been exciting having that blue on.

I think that's the most Marlin I've heard of in one zone and actually with the yft probably the best zone this season.
At least you were in amongst it.
Next time they'll stickeh.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 4:16pm
Shaneg,

Bit of luxury Gamefishing never hurts every now and then.

I understand the gobsmacking nature of watching something of that awe.
At least you got to see it.

-------------

Posted By: Marligator
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 4:19pm
MightyBoosh - I run my deep diving lure back about the same distance as a long corner lure but because they are down deep the line goes in the water a lot closer to the boat more about the short corner position thus tangles are not an issue.

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by Marligator Marligator wrote:

MightyBoosh - I run my deep diving lure back about the same distance as a long corner lure but because they are down deep the line goes in the water a lot closer to the boat more about the short corner position thus tangles are not an issue.

Cheers Thumbs Up

Posted By: BFIST
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 9:45pm
Is the hotspot still behind the Knights? I'm heading up to tow some lures on Sunday hoping to nab a YFT or Mahi.

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 12:08pm
I've been told last weekend it was around the 180ish mark on the colour change. If that helps.

Posted By: BFIST
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 8:10pm
Cheers mate

Originally posted by JustAnotherSpearo JustAnotherSpearo wrote:

I've been told last weekend it was around the 180ish mark on the colour change. If that helps.

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 11:32am
Went to knights yesterday all day south, nrth and mainly east landed 6 skippies lost about a further 10 seem to be in small patches only which are hard to find.
No marlin seen pretty quiet but awesome day.

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 12:34pm
You wouldn't happen to be the blokes in the extreme first thing in the morning would you?

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 2:58pm
nah not us why
we saw someone look like they hooked up
fish jumped twice right on back of boat but may have been a mako
then they lost it.

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 4:11pm
Took mum out yesterday morn for a quick little mission. Just thought given there weren't many trailers parked out there may have been a small chance it was you

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 9:20pm
Saturday I believe one Yellowfin and 2 marlin for Tuts.
We did a short day on Sunday. 5 hours around the V. Good water. Plenty of bait but nothing big on sounder or sighted. Most of the skippies we caught had been eating red eggs. A couple had 8cm fish in their guts. 

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 9:39pm
Hooked up a marlin on Saturday up near Brett late in arvo after trolling all day. Came in on short corner dropped first time then came back after about 30 seconds and had another go and took off quite bit of line before dropping. Cool to see and probably means my Suzuki outboard doesn’t scare fish as much as I thought, as it was on our closest lure. The lure was a medium to large black magic lumo plunger that has never been hit before.  In fact all the lures I ran on Saturday had not been hit before, not just because I like to keep old favourites safe but I love figuring out what else works. And this was possibly most unlikely lure I thought would get attention in that position and as I generally like to run darker lures in close.
Anyway fish being unhooked may been due to my running braid on the tld 50 (the puka outfit) there on the short corner. Should have had an 80wide there with old fashioned nylon, and might of snagged it.

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 8:48am
Hard luck Shane. Doing small boats? I'm out this year as will be North. 

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 6:32pm
No Doug not doing small boats either... am off to Elton John with wife on the Sunday. But keen to get back up and have another crack soon as I can. Hopefully when few more fish are about.

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 7:03pm
Shane,
No shortage of fish species.
Just a matter of your placement.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 10:44pm
Yeah Matt, generally I am advocate of darker colours in close, but good splashy lure on SC seems to do trick in lumo as well.  Have had success a few years ago with an andromeda in ascension colours previously but that is a very big lure.
Never stop learning.

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 10:46pm
Mates were off tuts today reported very quiet day, apart from skippies.

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 8:37am
yep went to mokes yesterday ran lures all around them and far east nothing no skipps saw a few small kahawai workups.
Hit a large kingfish workup on way home at the hen had a treble hookup on small lures landed 2 lost the 3rd which was up for release made the day altogether awesome all around the 1m mark not sure why things seem so dead this year maybe the drought or too much commercial pressure.
Even the comms guys have not been around which sez a lot. This time of year the long liners and trawlers are usually very busy be interesting to hear where they have gone too anybody know?
There are a few birds around but even the dolphins seem to have departed.

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 8:10pm
Who else is doing the Toots Small Boats instead of going to Elton John valentines weekend?

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 8:20pm

Maybe I should be heading to the brett tomorrow, was that George?

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 8:21pm
I'll be up there but only enjoying the time.
Will be listenening to the excitement of the comp.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by Sambosi Sambosi wrote:

Maybe I should be heading to the brett tomorrow, was that George?
   yes it was... dont think got anything roday wither as would of heard.. good luck simon... hopefully few more fish start to bite.

Posted By: TM.
Date Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by Sambosi Sambosi wrote:

Who else is doing the Toots Small Boats instead of going to Elton John valentines weekend?

Yep Simon we are doing the small boats......certainly most action has been in the boi recently

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 9:43pm
some chomping starting to happen last few days by couple of accounts.

Date Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 10:38am
Went to BOI yesterday did cavs and nearly to stevies one good work up saw nothing picked up 7 good skippies on way home bright pink is in anything else useless. Good day

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 10:29pm
Back from 3 days at toots,  Thursday set the gear in the green water at about 140 south end, saw something about 5m below cruise beneath the stern, grab a sammie for breakfast, half a sandwich later marlin behind the short rigger comes and smacks long corner to come back again, run lure back to it and solid hookup.  Nice big stripey jumps so seeing as I hooked it got on the rod.  Took a friggen hour and a quarter to get it on the double, foul hooked behind pec.  Get it on the leader swimming in circles and leader breaks.  Not happy. 

Day two first day of small boats, same area we work all morning, at around 1130 one in the gear and manage to excite it to a bite winding lure quicker towards bite, no hookup and buggers off not looking at any other lures wtf.

Day 3 today, wind arrived a bit earlier, pretty ugly getting out and put in a day to 2pmish for zilch.

Nice to get the action we had but need to start converting one or two.

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 5:54pm
Awesome, we're they favouring a particular lure?

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 7:20pm
Zuker 5.5 PB, Mrs Palmer Daughter and a Frozen Tree in flying fish colours all got attention.

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 8:11pm
Zuker black and purple 5.5 (the old standby) and any frozen tree, would be two of my favourite lures.
It’s great to see you getting results on that frozen tree lure, as I understand they are quite hard to come by.

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 8:14am
Went to knights yesterday after a bit of mucking around lived up to their name POOR lol
Got 2 skippies western side saw a bit of action at 150m on the far side. Nice day out though rolling swell around 1m. After we gat some decent rain things should change as the upper reaches of the harbours are teaming with fish big and small so a good flush should change everything. Heres hoping!

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 9:54pm
I predict marlin fishing is about to go off at Tuts and thereabouts. I’m forecasting from Thursday mid morning till  late afternoon and through till Sunday afternoon one of hottest bites ever seen on the east and west coast will occur.  And be concentrated around and involving the little white stabi Obsession .. first day out of tuts this year (apart from one day shake down with wife off bland bay) it will be hot in amongst the action experiencing multiple hookups from Thursday 11am onwards through to Sunday afternoon. It will be epic, touch wood ...

We will be flying a large Coruba flag and I have a welsh master mariner as crew. While no one is on helm and during the multiple strikes,  please give us the usual wide berth. We will call in our strikes and will be unmistakeable. The stabi is built like an icebreaker and reinforced at the pointy end.

Date Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 7:09am
Been sacrificing virgins Shane.

Good luck.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 7:32am
I think you need to wait a month Shane.

Date Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 3:16pm
I will be joining the mayhem too I feel a big bite is on as there hasn't been one yet this year!!!!
On OJ will be single handed slaying them as usual.
Plan is sparrow fart start land a couple of KY maybe at Sail then run 2 slappers on the top with maybe a hot pink in the middle and do the damage. LOL

Date Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 5:10pm
I hear this bite is actually starting late Friday morning

Posted By: TM.
Date Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 6:07pm
good luck,   Personally If fishing the east coast I would be targeting BOI to Whangaroa....better still west coast if weather allows....hoki has been going off

Date Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 8:50pm
I'd be further North too if time allowed but I'll be in the queue at the ramp late friday morning for a short day off Oceans. Maybe another crack Sunday. 

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 4:28pm
Got nothing saw nothing dead as.

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 8:39pm
a boat got 3 today, 1 off back of mokes double by the knights

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 9:03pm
We saw nothing. Nice water but bugger all bait. Didn't venture past 130m

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 9:28pm
Triple strike yesterday outside north of knights for us. 3  x yellowfin at 24 kg, 25 kg and 26 kg. All landed. Half of which smoked today rest of which will make for sashimi and seared, and plenty given away.
Great few days with awesome company and the fishing seemed to be looking up too after a bit of a lean period, quite few marlin strikes and some captured. More bait than I’ve seen for a while. Quite few makos as well especially off oceans. Was calm water for smaller boats and good temperatures with fish in shallow as well as deeper.

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 4:55pm
Woohoo well done mate

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 7:57pm

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 7:59pm

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 8:00pm

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 8:02pm

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 8:04pm

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 8:33pm

Sashimi with sesame is best way to eat it as good as my smoking skills are Dan.

Posted By: reel crayze
Date Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 9:41pm
Looks good, well done.

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 5:50am

Sashimi with sesame is best way to eat it as good as my smoking skills are Dan.

Oh yeah agree there mate

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 5:47pm
What lures?

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 7:09pm
Thanks reel craze and muppet/Dan.
Good question 9268. 
We were running 5 lures including aloha Ezi nut on shot gun and small pukula  lumo sprocket on LR.  
Lures that scored on this occasion were:
Black magic manukau plunger lumo SC,  zuker 5.5 black and purple LC, black magic stripey2 (no longer made, great lure) in lumo SR. All medium to big lures run with larger single stainless hooks on 400llb trace as opposed to the lures further back on LR and SG which were on lighter trace and smaller jobu hooks.
All fish well hooked and weren’t getting away!

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 7:58pm
Very well done and great stuff Shane, see its not the sexy suzy mota!LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 8:27pm
Did you get one on the Everol?

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 9:24pm
Sadly no Dan. Left at home. Running 2x 80 tiagras and 3 x50ws mix of tiagras and 1 aletecnos... we were in blue marlin country where we hooked the yellowfin. The 30 everol only holding 500 hollow core and 100 50 lb nylon is bit light on line capacity. Will go and see Greg and reckon can top up top shot by another 100 to 150 meters as need 700 or 750 at least. Would be ok if only likely to hook a stripey. But there was a broady which was  taken in just over 100 meter of water in weekend on a lure so always a gamble. A big yft is way harder than a stripy, these were respectable smaller models, but still a handful with 3 on. Last one I gaffed near tail and it went berserk and pulled most of ligaments in my arm... just coming right now.
Al you are right ... gone back to old favourite lures mainly. And they all got hit. Picked up another today from GOFISH special bin $40. Old stock reckon will be a cracker.  Photo to follow. Still like zuker 5.5 bp though, was first to go off on Sat. New one is a zuker zm6 in black and purple- still to rig with a big stainless single

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 6:54am
Thanks for the info I have gone back to old school at the mo. Yesterday we had a small flying fish whizz by while fishing in the harbour and some gannets were having a feed too not the norm at the mo by any means.

Print Page | Close Window