Forum Name: The Work-Up
Forum Description: Game fishing related topics here
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=131431
Printed Date: 05 Jul 2020 at 2:57pm

Topic: Gamefishing Updates - New Plymouth-Raglan - 19/20
Posted By: Sezza
Subject: Gamefishing Updates - New Plymouth-Raglan - 19/20
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 3:31pm
Game-fishing reports, updates, and pics here. Good luck for the  season.

Replies:
Posted By: Rainbow
Date Posted: 19 Dec 2019 at 9:25pm
Heard that albies have been caught off New Plymouth already.     Any more info??????
Rainbow

Date Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 10:06pm
The Albacore have arrived off New Plymouth and the tuna boats are parked up in the harbour.    Apparently they have been caught at the Nipple but with the water temperature 18.5 degrees and the blue water close in I would expect them to be closer too.     Last year I caught the first one on the 28th of Dec.    Unfortunately the weather is crap for the coming week to go find them.
Cheers

Rainbow

Posted By: Elcondor
Date Posted: 29 Dec 2019 at 9:46am
Went for a quick troll out to the nipple on boxing day. Sea was a bit confused and not very nice. Plenty of albies up to 8kg. Water temp out there was 19deg+. No sign of stick face.

-------------
AMF - Full Metal Jacket

Posted By: Troutzilla
Date Posted: 29 Dec 2019 at 11:00pm
We trolled for an hour or so North of Raglan in 45 - 55 metres on the 27th.

Water temp 19 - 19.6 degrees. We landed a double strike of albies in 48 metres.

-------------
It aint no use if it aint chartreuse!

Date Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 3:52pm
Cold water off North Taranaki at the moment.     At 70m 14.6 degrees.   The further out we paddled the colder it got.   On the SST chart it shows a very cold upwelling of no more than 10.2 degrees at 100+m.    No wonder we never saw anything out there this morning.     Even the dolphins came into the warmer water just around Moturoa.

Cheers

Rainbow

Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 3:20pm
Hope this doesn't effect the NP fishos...

https://www.stuff.co.nz/taranaki-daily-news/news/118558008/wind-driven-cold-water-blob-off-taranaki-coast-chills-bathers?cid=facebook.post&fbclid=IwAR0e9z7T0d8j2K6EnojubHZuh4fXsIUWjnnObAj8qV-B5ezrU-GshXpZ2Xo" rel="nofollow - https://www.stuff.co.nz/taranaki-daily-news/news/118558008/wind-driven-cold-water-blob-off-taranaki-coast-chills-bathers?cid=facebook.post&fbclid=IwAR0e9z7T0d8j2K6EnojubHZuh4fXsIUWjnnObAj8qV-B5ezrU-GshXpZ2Xo

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Posted By: yellafin
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 3:45pm
That's not good news

Posted By: MATTOO
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 5:43pm
Yellafin,

Nothing really wrong with that news.

What seems like a temporary halt is just that. Temporary.

That cold will suit a range of baitfish with an oncoming warm zone that will surround and not allow the escape of the baitfish.
Will be nervana for you.

-------------
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!

Posted By: Snappa Geoff
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 9:30pm
Marlin caught out from Raglan yesterday. Details- Bite Time Bait Whatawhata Facebook page.

Posted By: feeder
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 5:20pm
2 marlin weighed at Kawhia yesterday, congratulations to the crews on Albatross (136) and Heavy Metal (94) both caught at around the 100m line.

A couple of others dropped as well.

Cheers

-------------
The only bar to frequent is the Kawhia Bar

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 6:07pm
Great news.
More to come.

-------------

Posted By: FishR52
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 7:31pm
Yay, great news. I’m patiently waiting for you NP lads to start getting amongst them. Then I would like to head up your way from Nelson to give it a shot.👍

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 8:40pm
The good ship Albatross is running hot, tagged 2 marlin off Kawhia today

Cheers

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 9:01pm
Brilliant news.

The boys from the naki will be into it soon.

-------------

Posted By: White snake
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 9:23pm
Hope you are right mattoo.Been a big patch of cold water hanging around and cold southerlies.conditions more favourable from now on by the looks

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 9:55pm
Picking the cold will of held heaps of bait.
Been cold for a long long time.
That heat coming down, temp breaks, cool water, chloro and bait ,
Recipe for excitement.

Just my hunch.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 10:27pm
Trip report from a mate today.had a marlin in the gear in 44m just north of mokau.Heaps of work ups and bird activity.Boats further out at the trench saying not much bait at all.my guess first marlin for taranaki next few days

Posted By: Elcondor
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 9:59pm
Trolling north 20km past the bricks. Water was only just 20 deg. Nice and blue. No surface activity, just a bit of mid water bait and a sun fish.

Water still 19 deg off NP.

-------------
AMF - Full Metal Jacket

Posted By: Keith C
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 11:14am
So the ‘Naki got one this weekend!

https://www.stuff.co.nz/taranaki-daily-news/news/119048207/first-marlin-of-the-season-caught-off-mokau

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 5:34pm
Hi fellas, much happening on the marlin front up NP ways in last couple days?

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 6:48pm
English.

-------------

Posted By: terrafish
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 7:46pm
What do you mean by English Mattoo?
Seems like the chap is wanting to know if there has been any marlin caught off NP(New Plymouth) as he is wanting to bring his boat up from nelson in the SI(South Island) which is a long way, and is just trying to get some information about whether there has been any marlin(pelagic form of sportfish commonly inhabiting nz waters over the summer period).
Seems like pretty plain English to me

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 8:49pm
That's a modified post.
Thanks terrafish.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 8:52pm
So far this season there has been one fish weighed and one tagged.A few others been dropped.Been a bit of action straight out off port too.Report from today was very quiet with one local charter skipper saying he couldint even manage a tuna.Things due to heat up any day with the water temps between 20 and 21 degrees.If anyone wants any intel feel free to PM or ring me anytime.always happy to share info with anyone including those willing to travel.0274904268...Didint realise you were an english teacher mattoo😁

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 9:13pm
Thanks guys, hopefully not far away then for some action. It seems slow in Tasman Bay for the tuna compared to last year to.
Cheers White Snake, good fella. I will keep an eye on reports/weather then will give you a call, before I head north for a look between Fairwell Spit and NP.

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 10:38pm
White snake,

I don't waste my time on trifle.
As I,said the post was eligible.
That post has been edited since.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 8:16am
Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

White snake,

Let’s concentrate on fishing and leave the personal attacks.

(Have a look what “eligible” means in English.)

Posted By: Helmsy
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 9:36am

White snake,

* illegible

Try and at least use proper English if you're going to be a prat about it

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 11:15am
Been out three times since New Year and have not seen a tuna.     Yesterday to 86 m and all we saw was a kingfish workup at 70 m   Good blue water to 19.2 degrees.

Rainbow

Posted By: Fishb8
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 4:18pm
I lWinkike trifle!

Was in Raglan today, just for lunch. Was flat as but very few trailers at both town ramp or Manu Bay. The blue water was close to the bar.

-------------
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 4:25pm
My big foot in my mouth.
Apologies to all.

Not my usual style.
Arse self kicked.

I did have frustrating posting and have had to dump all my hiistory, cookies and reload every tool I have.
My last few posts were corrupted. I couldn't stop erasing rewording these.
I'm not savvy enough to know why.
Sought support and things seem fine again.

That's hopefully all from me on that subject.

Apologies for the trifle not having the proper sherry.

-------------

Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 4:50pm

My big foot in my mouth.
Apologies to all.

Not my usual style.
Arse self kicked.

I did have frustrating posting and have had to dump all my hiistory, cookies and reload every tool I have.
My last few posts were corrupted. I couldn't stop erasing rewording these.
I'm not savvy enough to know why.
Sought support and things seem fine again.

That's hopefully all from me on that subject.

Apologies for the trifle not having the proper sherry.

Have something stronger Mattoo and post againLOL

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Posted By: Marligator
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 6:53pm

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 7:32pm
Wrong thread Marligator?

Posted By: Marligator
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 10:31pm
Jeez, don't know how the hell I did that, but removed it now and have put it where it was supposed to go.

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 11:51pm
Newplymouth club boat reel tees caught a double of stripys today on the 100m line straight off newplymouth.They tagged one and boated one.it went 111kg.

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 7:39am
Kawhia One Base, Thursday was a no fishing day, too ruff, Friday Saturday was fishable (just) Saturday a little better, 6 stripies weighed, best 106, and 5 tagged, some nice albies were caught, best of these went 10.5.

Cheers

-------------

Posted By: yellafin
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 3:33pm
Thanks for the info guys. Helps us from out of the area wanting to travel up. Cheers.

Posted By: Muzzfishing
Date Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 10:37pm
Had a good day out yesterday at Raglan first real try this season for a Marlin. Waiting for that window of opportunity to line up with my days off.
Headed out to the area commonly called the 124, put the lures in the water at 70m. Hardly a boat in sight after seeing the carpark at Manu bay was pretty full for a Wednesday. Came across patches of Skippys and Albacore from 65 meters out put out a small feathered lure to check out what they were. Kept the Skippy for bait and let the Alby go. Stuck to the plan and kept on heading out further. Found more boats from the 100m line so thought this must be the area. Further out we seen a fish out on the surface, my first thoughts were it was a shark so kept my distance, my called it for a Marlin so went for a closer look, didn't take long before it took a liking to the purple and black Zuker lure and it was all on. Went on some good runs as we were both new to Marlin fishing get it to the boat didn't go to well, ended up breaking the leader close to the boat, manged to get a short video of it on the phone. Carried on trolling around the area for a few more hrs but no luck decided to go back to where the other boats were as were in 184m when we hooked up. There were still lots of fishing breaking the surface Skippys and Albies so kept us motivated to find another marlin. We kept the lures in the water most of the way back in as decided to have a Snapper fish at 58m started packing up the gear and then out of nowhere we had another strike in 70m on the Bonze D shackle. Fish went ballistic and took around 300m of line before we got it under control. Unfortunately after a very short fight it dropped the lure so guessing it might of been bill wrapped not actually hooked. Did 156km and used 72lts for the day and spent the best part of 10hrs out there. Were not using the light gauge hooks.

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">     A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.

Posted By: Tonyg26
Date Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 11:16pm
Nice muzz. Getting the bites by the sounds.

Looking good for up coming Raglan one base

Are tou running light or heavy gauge on the bonze D shackle?

-------------
http://www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz

Date Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 5:17pm
The local newspaper reports 2 stripies/day off New Plymouth in the past week. Water now up in the 20s and Port carpark was full this morning.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/119481249/striped-marlin-satellite-tagging-off-taranaki-set-to-start-as-sea-conditions-improve" rel="nofollow - https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/119481249/striped-marlin-satellite-tagging-off-taranaki-set-to-start-as-sea-conditions-improve

Date Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 6:18pm
Great effort there Muzz
Lesson learned there I'm sure.

-------------

Posted By: bluewakalures
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 10:05am
Was off New Plymouth chasing them on Saturday. Headed straight off port to the 100m mark and trolled north. Good signs of bait closer in on the 100 so after heading north to not much going on turned around and worked the 100 closer in where there was plenty of albacore. 
After boating 8 albies we put a small marlin lure on the shotgun, running 15kg... sure enough that was the one that went. Fought for about 20 minutes and got to the wind on. Was about half a metre from a gaff shot when it broke off at the boat. Straightened out the swivel clip so suspecting it might have come undone somewhere there. Nice fish, would have gone 100kg.
Gutted not to boat it but stoked on the action and it'll live to see another day!

Posted By: tjm
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 1:29pm
Well done Muzz,  Good friend landed a stripy @ 200 m Friday 125 kg

-------------
Cant beat hunting and Fishing in N.Z

Posted By: the demon
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 9:27pm
Good work muzz, great day had . The west is cool when exspect the unexspected !

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 4:38pm
Had another go yesterday, tried out behind Gannet. Had 1 strike at 95m took about 50m line then disappeared. Then seen a free jumper in same area suspect it was the same fish showing off, that it had its freedom. Spent a few hrs in the area then decded to go north as there didn't seem to be any bait fish in the area. Wasn't any better north, radio was pretty quiet most of the day although did hear a few call up for weighins at Raglan. Never seen it so flat out there was like a lake until we came back in to go home.

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">     A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 2:56pm
Be interested in the Raglan outcome.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by Fishb8 Fishb8 wrote:

Be interested in the Raglan outcome.
It was sweet as , never much fun in a small boat when it gets choppy as you get closer to land just have to slow down a bit.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 12:45pm
The fb RSFC page said that there were at least 4 weighed in, one going 128 kg

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 9:20pm
Went out last Wednesday spent about 9 to 10hrs did 163km, no action where I was, went South of Gannet but probably not far enough oh for a bigger fuel tank. May be more jerry cans. Didnt see any bait fish  during the day. So back to Plan A next week if the weather plays ball.

-------------

Posted By: tjm
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 11:50am
Raglan looking good so far for Sunday, any one venturing out? Has anything been caught lately?

-------------
Cant beat hunting and Fishing in N.Z

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 3:59pm
Go the F14 Frewza!

93.6 on 37 kg
Post on Taranaki Fishing Facebook
https://m.facebook.com/groups/1550781198568918/" rel="nofollow - https://m.facebook.com/groups/1550781198568918/

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 4:07pm
Good on them.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 9:37pm
Was at the Kawhia weigh station yesterday and to date there has been 40 weighed/tagged marlin so far this season, probably a club record for numbers, but there has been a sh*t load of out of town boats fishing so that may have some influence on those results.

Cheers

-------------

Date Posted: 26 May 2020 at 5:27pm
Sword weighed at Kawhia last weekend, first for the crew, saw the photo of it on the scales, that's all I know.

Cheers

-------------

Print Page | Close Window