Print Page | Close Window

First small boat

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: Newbies Corner
Forum Description: If you're new to fishing this is the place to ask any questions about getting started ...
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=131420
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 11:52pm

Topic: First small boat
Posted By: trick213
Subject: First small boat
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 5:39am
Hi guys,

Just purchased my very first small boat. Its a 3.4 allow hull inflatable with 15hp motor..both almost new. On trailor

Was going to take it out for my first time on saturday with a friend who also has no experience with boating..

Have come to my senses and wondering if anyone has any tips for my first time out.

Or if anyone with good experience would like to join me. Its easy to tow so can travel anywhere from pakuranga to north shore. I have two inflatable life jackets and might drop a line in if i get a chance.

I guess im abit weary of heading out with no experience. So any advice or someone who wants to tag along and show the ropes would be much apreciated.

Was also thinking or launcing either Bucklands beach or narrow neck saturday arvo. Both seem easy to launch places and i dont mind a little travel fir practice sake.

Thanks

Rick

Replies:
Posted By: MacSkipper
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 6:11am
don't get hung up on a day to go out - check weather forecast first (boating recreational metservice) make sure no wind warnings ideally with a small boat variable or 10 knot winds forecast and/or offshore wind (blowing out from land seas don't build up then).
Take a charged cellphone in a sealed plastic bag just in case.
Enjoy!

-------------
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.

Posted By: Steps
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 10:23am
My ist experience in a small boat with outboard , I was  about 10. smaller than yours, 9'6 home made dingy and a sea gull outboard.. in the Mangwhai harbour.
 Old man had shown me how to start and stop it.. and said start slow , slow for wakes logs.. now go for it.

As a above dont get hung up on it..the launching will in hindsight be the most stressful.
 choose a quiet day, local beach...and potter around till start to get the feel...then head out around a channel buoy, and maybe the next.
 Its like learning to ride a bike..same common-sense not to hit a fence or get run over with a bus.

Posted By: Ecko
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 1:10pm
Have a look here https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/tips-for-first-trip-out_topic129420.html?KW=" rel="nofollow - https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/tips-for-first-trip-out_topic129420.html?KW=

Posted By: cosmo
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 1:51pm
narrow neck would be a good starting point and just stay in reasonably close and some good sights around the cliffs there,join the coastguard and a mobile vhf should be a must have 

-------------
i just want to go fishing..........amd ignore all my adult problems

Posted By: Kevin.S
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 3:18pm
Definitely agree with Cosmo, join the Coastguard.  If anything goes wrong and you need a tow home it will be the best money you ever spent -and even if you never need them remember that money helps provide emergency rescues for when it really goes pear shaped.

If you can get on one a Day Skipper course will give you confidence on the water as well.

Posted By: Otto
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 3:55pm
First time, load it with b̶e̶e̶r̶  drinks & a snack and explore some upper reaches of the harbour. 
North of Greenhithe bridge or Heliers creek
Tamaki River
Even North of the harbour bridge and some of the creeks etc.

Remember, comms, life-jackets and speed.

These areas are likely to be less busy, less hazardous and should something happen you'll be drifting near land.

Just check the tides and make sure your kill switch is connected.

Posted By: Snappa Geoff
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 7:43pm
Hi Rick, sounds like a stable little boat. Spend a few extra $$ on a waterproof VHF as things do get alot wetter than big boat fishing. After a few trips and confidence builds your safe as to venture a few ks out. I generally fish between 2-3ks out West in a 3.6 but first sign of wind building to small whitecaps I head back in. Also being an inflatable use a landing not a gaff especially on Snaps as there spikes will puncture the tubes. Practice scooping them up away from pontoons. Seen a good Snap puncture an inflatable with a over excited anglerLOLCausing a quick trip back to shore. All the BestBeer

Posted By: Hookedline&sinker
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 9:04pm
Congratulations your first boat. Great plan taking experienced boaties out with you. I did that before adding family. used to go early to avoid the crowds as well - shouldn't be a problem in winter! Ditto on radio, mobile and coastguard membership checklist. if going early i do as much as possible the day before...fill totes, run the motor, put bungs in and hitch to car. less things to worry about. Also have grab bags of safety stuff and fishing stuff. if worried about reversing trailer, go practise in a supermarket car park outside busy times. Small movements help check you are going in the right direction. i still have my old check list and can email or take a photo. PM me with email or mobile.

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 10:17pm
Thanks guys, apreciate all advice givin and will definatley get a vhf and join coastguard.

A few things im trying to get my head around *reading marine forcast* Saturday seems not bad from what i can see?

Was thinking of launching closer to hi tide in the arvo,

Great advice re practicing reversing in carpark. And getting alot of things ready the night before.

Might ditch fishing this time and do abit of sight seeing around rangitoto or the island out from musik point.

Doing my homework on boating rules on the water. If im cruising along i stay to the right of the chanel?

Once again apreciate all advice. This site is a gem.

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 7:56am
Originally posted by trick213 trick213 wrote:

Thanks guys, apreciate all advice givin and will definatley get a vhf and join coastguard.

A few things im trying to get my head around *reading marine forcast* Saturday seems not bad from what i can see?

Was thinking of launching closer to hi tide in the arvo,

Great advice re practicing reversing in carpark. And getting alot of things ready the night before.

Might ditch fishing this time and do abit of sight seeing around rangitoto or the island out from musik point.

Doing my homework on boating rules on the water. If im cruising along i stay to the right of the chanel?

Once again apreciate all advice. This site is a gem.

cant comment re marine forecast (others here will know) but North West is great for Manukau Harbour where I boat Huia side - off shore wind.

-------------

Posted By: f1sh1ngDNA
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 8:02am
A good investment is doing your Day skipper course. will build your confidence and knowledge.

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

"cut me open and you will see me bleed fish"

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 9:07am

Been following forecasts for several decades now.. used keep an offical data weather station yrs ago.
 Watched different weather forecasts and noted their data bases used.. which are reliable.
 The Marine is far too general.
 The best I have found is Swell Maps (the maps not the data graphs) that use the NZ Met Ocean data bases.
Reasonably accurate 7 days out now. A window may move 8 to 24 hrs once in a while.
 Reliably accurate 5 days
 Accurate 3 days.

Note the iso bars for wind speed... If more than width of east cape to Taranaki and wider than nth cape t Taupo.. good to go.
Keep in mind tide changes.. wind against tide can chop up nasty very quick. As there are a lot of islands, coves, current directions watch the current against tide around each point

http://www.swellmap.com/forecast-maps" rel="nofollow - http://www.swellmap.com/forecast-maps

Make use of swell height and period, wind, rain buttons top of the map.

Posted By: Hookedline&sinker
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 1:58pm
Pending day skipper, check out https://www.maritimenz.govt.nz/recreational/rules/default.asp#give_way_rules" rel="nofollow - https://www.maritimenz.govt.nz/recreational/rules/default.asp#give_way_rules
The key rule is to lookout. if in doubt slow down and give way.

i use swellmap too. there is an app.

Posted By: Coastguard NZ
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 2:53pm
Hi Rick

Good to see you asking the questions here before casting off as it were.

There's a lot to learn for someone with no or minimal boating experience and the points above are all valid but to be honest - there is a lot more. Things such as equipment to carry, how to use it, weather, bouys and beacons, give way rules and dealing with emergencies just to start with. 

There is a reason why we offer new members a $100 discount for their day skipper course. We want to encourage people to invest a bit of time to get educated to stay safe and enjoy their boating with confidence.

Our volunteers often are called to assist sensible people with the best intentions who just didn't know what they didn't know. 

Competent boaties can make it all look so easy. But behind what you see can be years of experience, local area knowledge, courses, well established routines and checklists.

We would urge you to find someone to show you the ropes and also take advantage of the new member offer. $115.00 to join for 12 months. Included in this is one place on a Day Skipper course with $100.00 off. 

One of the main benefits our members enjoy is free assistance in non-urgent situations such as a breakdown. Non-members incur a charge of $280 per hour of rescue vessel time. 

Hopefully this is seen as constructive and not a hard sell - just really keen to see you enjoy your boating right from the start.  

Posted By: MATTOO
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 5:36pm
I strongly support the above .
And particularaly coastguard membership and courses.

I'll give you an offer.
I will take you out on your boat.
I'll check it over trailer and all.
I suspect all you see is dollar signs.
You'd better get used to that.

I'll give you my time and experience to start you off.
No charge but you have to come to west auckland.
Weather is not an issue.

If your interested.
Pm me.

Otherwise follow the excellent advice above and good luck..

-------------
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!

Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 6:03pm
Don't take your mates, your Mrs or your kids until you are fully confident and competent.

Listen to the advice above, get all the safety gear, do the coastguard boatmaster course and VHF Marine Radio, go with experienced blokes and ask lots of why fors...Thumbs UpClap

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Don't take your mates, your Mrs or your kids until you are fully confident and competent.

Listen to the advice above, get all the safety gear, do the coastguard boatmaster course and VHF Marine Radio, go with experienced blokes and ask lots of why fors...Thumbs UpClap

Great advice Thumbs Up

-------------
Best gurnard fisherman in my street

Posted By: bigred1
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 10:08pm
I’d agree with that too. Get used to handling the boat with a buddy, then do a sightseeing trip or three with family, then try fishing on your own. Take little steps so that everyone enjoys it. Even after having a 5.7m boat for years we rarely go out as a family (of 5) and fish (lots of wakeboarding though) although we take turns going out 2-3 at a time fishing for a variety of reasons.
I might be getting old but I actually enjoy watching/helping others enjoy the experience now.

Posted By: Otto
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 6:48am
Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

I'll give you an offer.

Weather is not an issue.

If your interested.
Pm me.

I'd take up this offer first of all !  
He's a good sort young Mattoo and you would learn a bit while having your gear checked.

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 11:04am

I'll give you an offer.

Weather is not an issue.

If your interested.
Pm me.

you would have to take up this offer and then coastguard  and day skippers.
i did day skippers before my boat was finished and is a fantastic course and membership is a no brainer.
and with some enforced time off work im actually about to do my VHF course this afternoon
knowledge is everything the sea can be very unforgiving and you have some great options here for the sake of going out west

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 4:29pm
Trick has contacted me.
We have a time to meet.

We will see if he rolls up.

-------------

Posted By: MB
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 5:37pm

I'll give you an offer.

Great offer, TAKE IT!

I did something similar with a buddy when I first got my ski. Lucky I did because it turned out that I didn't know how to reverse a trailer down a boat ramp. Embarrassing, but we're all here to learn!  

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 8:13pm
See you tommrw Matto!

Appreciate all the advice fellas and everything noted.

Lookimg to get into the day skippers coarse

Posted By: Ecko
Date Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 5:40am
Have a good day guys... Me? I'm getting ready for work! 😂

Posted By: JustAnotherSpearo
Date Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 5:46am
This is awesome. Mattoo if we ever cross paths im buying you a beer.

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 5:12pm
Well trick did turn up.
He's got a great small boat package.
We spent some time discussing the boat and trailer and associated boat skills.
Info overload I'm sure.

But Trick seemed welcoming of the input.
No water session as trick was a little time poor. He has family, which always comes first.

We do have an on the water experience under plan for tommorrow and we will see how that plays out.

Genuinely a nice young man with a lot he wants to learn.
With virtually no previous boating experience in his words I'm happy to guide him as best I can.

Mr Spearo, I do like a nice beer.
And I'm up north somewhat.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 5:19pm
Mighty boosh,

You'll be pleased to know as tricks first task I got him to reverse into my driveway.

He told me afterwards it was a bit of a sweat.
Not sure why he did an excellent job.

Everyone needs to be proficient at reversing, straight, right angles, curves, over blind humps..much like a ramp and in a variety of vehicles.
Don't be the muppet on the ramp using three lanes that you cut down to one.

And prep your boat for launching before you go down the ramp.
Busy ramps have busy people who can be most frustrated with your lack of prep.

It's a boaties courtesy and to be honest prep shows your skill level,

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 7:25am

Well trick did turn up.
He's got a great small boat package.
We spent some time discussing the boat and trailer and associated boat skills.
Info overload I'm sure.

But Trick seemed welcoming of the input.
No water session as trick was a little time poor. He has family, which always comes first.

We do have an on the water experience under plan for tommorrow and we will see how that plays out.

Genuinely a nice young man with a lot he wants to learn.
With virtually no previous boating experience in his words I'm happy to guide him as best I can.

Mr Spearo, I do like a nice beer.
And I'm up north somewhat.
Good on you and thanks for the update.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 7:48am
I agree. 5 years later and all good. 

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 10:04am
My old man taufght me to back.. then died before actually showing me.
 My 1st instance odf towing was a bout 17 yrs, EH Holden and a 16' caravan, and backing into a narrow postion in a caravan park.
 1/ take it slow, experienced or not...show offs and it screws up
2/ when starts to go wrong, pull forward 1/3 more than you think, re line up, then go back.
3/ turn gently..and further before the 'cnr' than you think.
4/ Once you get into several turns of the wheel, to correct, espec in a straight reverse, stop, pull straight and keep shallow corrections (usually caused by 1/ and 2/
5/ A slow reverse with little or no corrections/ realignments will be faster in the long term than a fast reverse and couple corrections.

And yeah I nailed that 1st caravan reverse, with allowance for the Awaning spot on.
 And nailed the reverse down the drive, around the house then opposite direction up the side of the garage.

In those days was all over the shoulder.

Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 10:20am
Good on you Mattoo!

-------------
Best gurnard fisherman in my street

Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 1:39pm
Once you are happy with reversing go to where you will launch and suss out the ramp to see where you can stop to remove strops, prop flag and prep the boat. As there is nothing worse than a newbie parking the boat in the middle of the ramp to do this, blocking traffic flow from coming off the water and trying to launch and fastest way to get a serve from the impatient Jafa boaties.LOL

Also have a good look at low tide of any hazards or really shallow areas, hopefully your chart will show this also to get an idea of the terrain and hazards and learn these as you go out and come in to the ramp area.

Then get to know what the tides and currents are like, again sussing out more boating hazards.

If you try beach launching, find out if the sand is firm,  carry a longer strop or length of tow rope if you have to unhitch the vehicle and pull the trailer wheels out of the sand as they can bury, but you have a small/lighter boat, so is much easier I presume two blokes could drag the inflatable down the beach. Carry a spade as well for the just in case.Wink

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 2:33pm
Something I wish someone had told me...

When trying to reverse in a straight line, keep one hand on the steering wheel in the same position on the wheel. It cuts out a lot of the over-correction. As soon as you’ve made an adjustment, straighten up. It's an ongoing process of small corrections until you end up in the right place. 

Maybe the OP is a double logging truck driver and is like “yeah, whatever”, but just thought I’d share this top tip from Boosh’s School of Trailering 🙂

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 7:31pm
good on ya Mattoo.

Had a friend call round and borrow my trailer last week to clean up her yard didn't realise she didn't know how to back one apparently left my place and went and taught herself because she didn't want to look like a silly blonde at the dump HAHAHAHA Good on her

-------------

Posted By: JustAnotherSpearo
Date Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 7:43pm
Being able to back a trailer comes in handy, boats a breeze.. but try doing the girlfriends horse float with her beloved horse in it. Eyes on you like a hawk watching every movement Pinch

and MATTOO, I have my house in Hamilton, but home is where the heart is so Whangarei is home home, I also have chocolate milk if you enjoy that more Big smile

And just going to be the first one to say it, I can't do trailers with mirrors, im over the shoulder out the back and if its a modern car like the audi Q3 with next to no back window and all I see is a bow, I just open the door up and plonk the head out.

Print Page | Close Window