Forum Name: The Work-Up
Forum Description: Game fishing related topics here
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=131271
Printed Date: 21 Nov 2019 at 6:54pm

Topic: Southern Bluefin Tuna Updates 2019
Posted By: Grunta
Subject: Southern Bluefin Tuna Updates 2019
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 12:59pm
Update from https://www.facebook.com/Ben-Carey-New-Zealand-Fisherman-138327377033599/" rel="nofollow - Ben Carey

*This just in by Graham Beaufill on the boat 'Lured' targeting southern bluefin tuna of Waihau Bay yesterday (11 June 2019) ££

Sent in by Graham Beaufill, Graham says
" Hi Ben, just got home from Waihau Bay.
"Had southern bluefin tuna porpoising and feeding at 2150 metres around the boat yesterday off Hicks Bay".

Graham says, " We got to within 50 metres of them but they sounded and stayed down deep around 150 metres".
"We are fishing wider and further east but there are definitely tuna there though.
"We found some bait from 300 metres out to 1400 metres out of Waihau Bay, but the best sign we found for bluefin tuna was further around , in 1200 metres of water out to 2400 metres off Hicks Bay.
Beyond 2400 metres the temperature was going well over 17.4 degrees but the bust ups of bluefin tuna was in 17.1 degrees.
There apparently was a southern bluefin tuna also caught by another vessel yesterday also.

So there you have it, take this information as you wish, and thanks to Graham Beaufill on the boat 'Lured' for the report.
A bit of interesting information for those planning on targeting tuna this weekend anyway.

Replies:
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 7:04am
From Waihau Bay GameFishing Club

If you are coming to Waihau Bay to fish for SBT please remember to show respect at all times. Keep the road clear for local traffic to get to the shop and Lodge. Do not dump any offal. Weigh masters will be able to help you if possible. Remember the allowance of one fish per person.
Today Club Talk weighed two fish 70.6 and 61.2 caught Azure Lures. Reel Game also had two fish both 78 kgs caught in Trophy Lures (NZ). Strictly Fishing had a strike of five fish, landed two, tagged two and lost one. Great effort with two on board.

Posted By: jakepitsville
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 12:24pm
awsome !! 

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 8:42pm
From Waihau Bay GameFishing Club:

Today about 14 boats and 9 fish.
If you are fishing here please try and get your fish in for weighing before dark. Definitely no dumping of any offal or frames on or anywhere near shore.
Take care out there
Cheers

Posted By: Muzzfishing
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 9:48pm
Going for a look next week hopefully the weather plays nice.

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">     A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.

Posted By: beer_cruiser
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2019 at 7:03pm
Any news?
Seems to be a lot of big trailer boats moving between Tauranga and Opotiki when I was down that way

Date Posted: 27 Jun 2019 at 9:11pm
Good action today @ the 1000m contour according to Trophy Lures

Posted By: the demon
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2019 at 6:35am
heard one caught had a sand paper tag in it ,very coolCool

Sand paper is Ozzy if you wernt sure lol

Posted By: RAMCO600
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2019 at 9:14am
Sure did we caught it on Wednesday, it's going to be cool to see it movements

Posted By: seawolf
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 1:38pm
1000 meter contour around the sea valley, see them on the sounder and lots of big albacore scools as well!

Posted By: MATTOO
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 5:37pm
Great fish, nice line weight result.

Where is sea valley?

-------------
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 5:42pm
We where fortunate to get one ourselves on a spur of the moment jaunt.
Looking forward to eating it.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 6:18pm
Nice work Matto. How deep. I have been down twice in the last 2 weeks first trip only caught a few skippys 2nd trip caught a few Albies biggest 19.2kg other were a bit smaller. Only kept a couple each and let a few go. You dont own a BT50 as I seen one day a BT50 had lights left on and the trailer had southern sport on it.

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">     A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 6:51pm
Thanks Muzz,
Can't afford a bt50, that would be nice.
Just an old landcruiser.
Approx 1800 m.
NNE of lottins.
First time to waihau and second day fishing for them.
Second to last fish on my list now, one to go.

-------------

Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 7:17pm
very well done Mattoo, what was the weight and any exciting story to tell the class?Clap

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Posted By: Tzer
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 7:19pm

Great to meet you Mattoo, apologies for not shaking your hand but diesel handshakes dont go down wellLOL. Good to see you got a fish, tried calling you on the VHF after we got our fish. 82.4kg and 130.8 from a double back at the ramp by 8.30 for weighing. Didnt bother carrying on trolling as 2 fish were more than enough.

-------------
www.tzercharters.co.nz
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tzer-Charters/254559404707318

Posted By: mangre 2
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 7:27pm
yo Mattoo

-------------
Beautiful is better than ugly, Explicit is better than implicit, Simple is better than complex, Complex is better than complicated.      http://oceanmobilemap.blogspot.co.nz/

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 7:29pm
Holy crap,
There amazing.
Not sure why I had such poor reception, that's unusual I'll have to check.

Diesel, an every day thing for me, The noise of your private refinery was my biggest challenge.

I'll have to call you and have a proper yarn.

Beautiful fish.
Nice rig you run too.

-------------

Posted By: yknot
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 7:34pm
Fantastic guys, some great looking fish

-------------
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 7:37pm
Yes Al,
Like most fisherman there's always a story.

I suppose there is a tail there, with newborns, unexpected leave passes, crew from kaitaia, non stop driving, lack of sleep,a crew full of flu, no idea what were doing, endless plan changes, Lady Luck in spades, epic environments and people, generosity of support received and given.
Tall tales lies and shattered bodies swathed in memories of satisfied success of goals achieved.
Yeah maybe a tale to tell.

-------------

Posted By: seawolf
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

Great fish, nice line weight result.

Where is sea valley?
go on fish grid waihau bay grid and theres a big chunk out of the 1000meter contour in aa smartfuels area. we call it the runaway seavalley dont know if it has any other names? fish all round it the other day! can be hot in the summer aswell.

Posted By: salty69
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 7:45pm
Well done and great looking fish you lot.

Mattoo - on ya fella. You'll never die wondering!!!!

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 8:04pm
Cheers Seawolf.
Trying to build that picture when conversation happens and your unsure of area terms.

Appreciated Salty.

There's a definetly an air of experienced fisherman down there.
Fantastic boats large and small with what I thought were clearly experienced fisherman, skippers and crews. And some tolerance to newcomers which was greatly appreciated from our group.
My crew made efforts of Koha, I believe that is the right term to many they met.
I was very humbled with the generosity of spirit from both sides.

Not sure this is a place locals or regulars suffer fools, The sea and coast certainly wouldn't.

Another outstanding environment in our country that has seared my memory with a great expierence yet again.

-------------

Posted By: Fish Addict
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

First time to waihau and second day fishing for them.
Second to last fish on my list now, one to go.

Well done Mattoo, always nice to tick another species off the list. What is the last?

Posted By: reel crayze
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 12:16pm
Well done fellas.

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 1:22pm
Thanks,
Sword.

-------------

Posted By: sid fishus
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 1:42pm
We were down as well fishing Saturday, first time ever. Went out Friday night and slept in bay, and headed out.  Got our first Bluefin, a smaller model at around 40kg estimate   :)

Got smoked by a bigger model coz some fool put out a lighter rod with a little alba lure on it, that something bigger hit..........    No comments on who that fool was.

Lesson learnt.

Our bluefin also caught on a D shackle, not in karma though. More a yellow black jobby.  Loved the trip, but F me, its a long way from Auckland  :)

-------------
I always tell the truth about things that never happened

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 7:45am

So here's the yarn  Matt

My wife and I just had new baby last Thursday. She decided she wanted to recharge and wanted some space to chill with my new son! So sent the 5 year old to a friends (Thanks Rach) and said to me GO FISHING! Go fishing she said Ok? To rough here so I'm off to Waihau.

A ring around lured Club member and good friend Aaron Mcloy and another few phone calls and Matthew Hemingway from Auckland was IN!  It was his weapon of a boat we would be on. A fantastic 7.5 southern called A Salt Weapon. The plan - Finish work and home by 7pm pick up Aaron 8pm meet Matt after midnight and drive through the wee hours, a total of 12 hours - to fish the mighty Waihau. We had many hours to plan and prep and tried really hard but unfortunately Nothing 1st day.

I rang around and Spoke to a Commercial skipper who gave me some info and we got halfway close to his Mark's we realised we are also very close to a zone from Paul oceanSST (the man)so we headed more that way.  I ducked in for a sleep but not for long as the boys were getting excited!    Whammo huge tuna smashing holes in water, dolphins following everywhere and gannets, surely surly we would be on!

We had a rigger pop and Aaron and I paper rocked scissored to see who had the first strike, I lost so Aaron was on the rod - Matt was yelling at us to clear gear and all in all we felt abit rusty after chasing swords, anyways that wee issue lasted for 20 minutes after what we thought was a bluefin was sorted. 

Aaron was then helming us away at 4 knots and we had no idea where the work up had gone, Matt set the short rigger back r when it popped, I saw the rod buckle then straighten - ill never forget the momentary look of surprise and bewilderment from Matt when that rigger popped and Im yelling Fish on, suddenly the situation took hold and we have a fish  YUSS we have a fish on.  As there was not much gear to clear things happened pretty quickly - one thing I remember is that it was lucky times for me as it was my turn on the rod and it was the Talica my wife brought for me  and wow it went from unloading line like a marloon does to stepping up and sounding like R2D2 on speed!  woohoo!!!   As this was our first fish for the trip and the boat we went pretty gently gently on it, with some fabulous communication between Matt and Aaron we had the fish on the surface I was calling it 30kg but the boys were nah bigger then that soon the gaffs went in, total time of about 30 mins - Boy are we so so happy  IM yelling at the top of my lungs, Aarons smile is liek Guy smileys and not leaving and Matt has his first game fish and a bucket list fish for us all. We weighed the fish dressed (gutted/gilled/iced and it went 44.5kg. Not sure how heavy it would have been green but from what some other lad have said they suggested add 10kg.  The rest of the day passed uneventfully and after a few quiet rums and a sleep and long  trip back to Auckland, clean boat then back to Kaitaia!   

From bottom of my heart thank you Casey as I had written off the BFT season, without you kicking me out of the house to recharge this would have never happened!   Thank you Aaron - boss as ever, Thank you Matt fabulous skipper and boat and most of all

THANK YOU Waihau!! You turned it on as always!

Some pics of our adventure

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 8:29am
Very well done Jake, Matt and AaronClapClapClap

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 5:01pm
Well done team, great effort.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 7:44pm
Well done Guys

-------------

Posted By: Fishb8
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by sid fishus sid fishus wrote:

We were down as well fishing Saturday, first time ever. Went out Friday night and slept in bay, and headed out.  Got our first Bluefin, a smaller model at around 40kg estimate   :)

Got smoked by a bigger model coz some fool put out a lighter rod with a little alba lure on it, that something bigger hit..........    No comments on who that fool was.

Lesson learnt.

Our bluefin also caught on a D shackle, not in karma though. More a yellow black jobby.  Loved the trip, but F me, its a long way from Auckland  :)

Sad you had to learn a lesson the hard way.
A lure may be small but make sure a decent leader/line weight and rod to land a marlin or in this case a SBT!

-------------
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken

Posted By: Snappa Geoff
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 4:26pm
Great Read and result guysThumbs Up

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2019 at 9:03am
Yep, lots of lessons learnt, including making sure to tell inexperienced crew not to touch the drag settings unless told to by the skipper.

Line was emptying fast off the spool and I was turning boat around to chase when the mainline parted.

Basically because the spool had got low and my crew worried about it and responded by tightening the drag UP........    Ouch  Thinking that would slow the run of the fish.    Rookie mistake.

So combination of tightened drag and low spool level meant.....  

stripped the remainder of the line off the reel last night there was still 80m on the reel.....  so we  still had a chance.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2019 at 4:43pm
Oh that's a bugger.

Out of interest what was the line weight and spool capacity.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2019 at 8:46pm
Was PE4 braid, and 2000 size overhead, so would have had close 275m ish on the spool. Probably had 50m out or so, as was running the lure out the back.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Jul 2019 at 12:30pm
I would say a 15kgmono set up of a TLD 25 would give you a better shot

Posted By: Marligator
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2019 at 6:13pm
Sid fishus - you are really asking for trouble with a rig like that, all you need is for the fish to go deep on a long run and you have real problems.

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 08 Jul 2019 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by Marligator Marligator wrote:

Sid fishus - you are really asking for trouble with a rig like that, all you need is for the fish to go deep on a long run and you have real problems.

yep yep agreed, which is why I said 'some fool put it out'   SmileSmile

BIG tuna will also hit very small lures it seems, summertime it would only likely be a skippy, alby or occasional mahi.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 7:34am
BIG tuna will also hit very small lures it seems, summertime it would only likely be a skippy, alby or occasional mahi.

[/QUOTE]

Marlin will quite happily go through a pattern of bigger lures to nail a 3 or 4 inch skippy lure at the back of the boat, so always run your skippy lures on an outfit than can at least give you a fighting chance when this happens.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 12:20pm

Marlin will quite happily go through a pattern of bigger lures to nail a 3 or 4 inch skippy lure at the back of the boat, so always run your skippy lures on an outfit than can at least give you a fighting chance when this happens.
[/QUOTE]

Ask Matt what eats skippe lures ! LOL he had a black a year or so back - landed it to, more due to light line angling skill rather then line wright and capacity

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by jakepitsville jakepitsville wrote:

Ask Matt what eats skippe lures ! LOL he had a black a year or so back - landed it to, more due to light line angling skill rather then line weightand capacity
[/QUOTE]

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 6:00pm
]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Too true, we had a full spread of lures out and this black came in and smashed the albie lure. I still tell my mate I was thinking about cutting the line as we would have no chance of landing it. We landed it, and learnt a lot about using drag, line belly, and fish was 10 to 1 ratio.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 4:54pm
I could not of landed that fish without a top crew, first mate and excellent skipper.
Rolled into one that's Ynot.
Great experience thanks Geoff.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 4:36pm
Hoping this works.
PEI Blue fin tuna,
The beginning of the comeback and an interview with Peter P.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=phzIOzw0Q14" rel="nofollow - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=phzIOzw0Q14

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 6:22pm
Yep it worked Mat,

Cool info and developments from 2011, I wonder how the tuna are fairing there today?

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 7:01pm
I believe the fishery is quite healthy for fish, charter, commercial and tourism.

Tony Orton is a regular up there.
It would be great dor his input here.

-------------

Posted By: anarchy
Date Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 7:03am

Managed a nice Eater on Wednesday (nice redemption after losing two èarlier in the season)

Water was the fishiest I've ever seen it down there full of birds bait and seals

Fish was in 1150m east of sea valley was one of 3 caught there and two lost Wednesday morning ( that I heard of anyway )

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 8:40am
Good to get an earned result.
And yum yum.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 9:04am
Well done on the BFT Mike, what weight did it go?

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 1:27pm
Hey Vance just a little fulla at 44kg but tasted awesome
There was only about 10 boats out so pretty good fishing think there were around 8 - 10 hooked / landed or lost

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 1:46pm
Any SBT is a goodie, and that was quite a good hook up rate too..

-------------

Posted By: Speedy
Date Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 3:00pm
Hey Guys,

I'm curious - when trolling for SBT, how far back are you setting lures? Which spot in the spread seems to be preferred?

Also - do you find that hook ups are more frequent when running down current, across the wind, east to west / north to south or any combination of the above!

Cheers

-------------
Proud supporter of Ronald McDonald House & the team at Legasea

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 3:28pm
Hey speedy we setting about 3 waves further back than we do for marlin best spots for us are long rigger and shotgun

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 9:12am
we hooked ours while resetting lures doing 4 knotts - fluro carbon traces - I wonder if there is anything in the yanks who troll alot slower for these guys then us.

Posted By: reel crayze
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 8:39pm
Slightly off topic maybe ?

Thoughts please... On where the SBT come from that head to Waihau Bay at this time of the year and where do they go after being there ?

Posted By: Titahi
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2019 at 6:30pm
Southern bluefin tuna consist of a single stock primarily distributed between 30ºS and 45ºS, which is only known to spawn in the Indian Ocean south of Java. Adults are broadly distributed in the South Atlantic, Indian and western South Pacific Oceans, especially in temperate latitudes while juveniles occur along the continental shelf of Western and South Australia and in high seas areas of the Indian Ocean. Southern bluefin tuna caught in the New Zealand EEZ appear to represent the easternmost extent of a stock whose centre is in the Indian Ocean.

http://https://fs.fish.govt.nz/Doc/23462/018_STN_November_2013.pdf.ashx" rel="nofollow - http://https://fs.fish.govt.nz/Doc/23462/018_STN_November_2013.pdf.ashx

-------------
"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"

Print Page | Close Window