Forum Name: The Work-Up
Forum Description: Game fishing related topics here
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=131238
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 12:19pm

Topic: Electric Game reels
Posted By: the demon
Subject: Electric Game reels
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 10:50am
I see a bit of niggle regarding the use of them by some game clubs .
Some members dont see a problem using them on game fish and want to weigh and put a photo on F.B Up in lights .Some clubs have said enough is enough and wont weigh them .Only way  to weigh is pay $20 for a courtsey weigh .
Most game clubs goverened by NZSFC  and fish caught on electric reels are DQ . i see one club decided that there FB page is for members only or affiliated day members on a boat , no DQ fish to go on there page .
Lastley ,is using them to catch game fish undoing all the work NZSFC .LEGASEA do , are they the drag net of recreational fisherman and give a bad look ?

Replies:
Posted By: Grasshoppa
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 12:15pm
I think how people catch any fish and what they do with them afterwards is there own choice and power to them but anyone who catches gamefish with an electric reel and celebrates it as some sort of accomplishment on FB or whatever is showing the world their true character

Posted By: MATTOO
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 4:08pm
I think there is a category for this fishing style.

Don't think I want to brag about it since I can still hold a rod and wind the reel.

But consider the many individuals who don't have the skills or physical capabilities.

I think Matt Watson did a program on it showcasing a number of smaller electric reels so that some individuals had greater participation in a day's fishing.

So there maybe a sensible place for it if you are not physically able to fish by other means.

-------------
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!

Posted By: OuttaHere
Date Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 10:16pm
I saw a swordfish that got a lot of social media coverage caught in Florida recently. After much was made of the size of the fish and the epic battle that was fought, it emerged that it was caught on an electric reel, and the rod was fished from a rodholder throughout the fight.

At that point, it's a single hook longline being retrived by a winch and davit, in my book.

Are people really using them broadly for gamefish? I can understand it if you're just going out to harvest Bluenose in 400m or whatever....

Posted By: jakepitsville
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 8:08am
Still never used and electric on my boat - always winding and thats the end of it.

I hear the argument for people who are "unable" to fish normally but lets be honest - most people who have electric reels are still capable of winding they just choose not to.  Catching a big fish on an electric is cool that its caught but no achievement - like catching a 20lb snapper off your Kontiki - LOL!

Posted By: Rockstar from Mars
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 2:11pm
Used properly electric reels are a great way to catch sword fish. 

As anyone  who goes sword fishing will know most of the time you are winding up 4-500m of line, You may or may not have your weight still attached and often also be winding up one of the many undesirable species as by-catch. If you enjoy doing this 5-10 times a day then an electric reel is not for you. But if you want to fish smarter, Then you can use the electric reel when you are not connected to a sword fish, And use the handle and fight the fish exactly the same as the guy in the next boat who is using a Tiagra.

Using an electric will allow you to do more drops over the day as it is quicker to retrieve. And if you are unsure if your bait is intact after a bite you are more likely to check it.

In America it may be popular to use Electric only reels and fight fish from the rod holder but thats not the way we do it here in NZ. Having said that from some of the misinformed comments here a lot of you guys do your fishing from the couch

-------------
Winning.....

Print Page | Close Window