Print Page | Close Window

Black Soft Plastics

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: The Briny Bar
Forum Description: The place for general chat on saltwater fishing!
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=131074
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 7:15am

Topic: Black Soft Plastics
Posted By: FishingAlan
Subject: Black Soft Plastics
Date Posted: 18 May 2019 at 7:37pm
I’ve been getting asked a lot lately if Black soft plastics work so during the week I set out to conduct a short fishing challenge using only black soft plastics and had great results
The video can be seen at https://youtu.be/xeQ8IarAFGQ" rel="nofollow - https://youtu.be/xeQ8IarAFGQ - if you enjoy the video then please subscribe to the channel

We fished in a small runabout boat during high tide. Using only 5cm pro grubs in UV black with 1/8 jig heads we set ourselves 90 minutes to catch as many pinkies as we could. We caught plenty of pinkies and a couple of flatties.

Replies:
Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 18 May 2019 at 7:47pm
Hmmm, I doubt I'll be trying those

-------------
Best gurnard fisherman in my street

Posted By: Muppet
Date Posted: 18 May 2019 at 8:21pm
That is racist Smudge LOL

Date Posted: 18 May 2019 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

That is racist Smudge LOL

Actually the first time I used soft plastic type baits was in the late 80's or early 90's. I used some black worm type Mr Twisters that had a curly tail on them. I caught 2 or 3 gurnard on my 15kg stump puller rod. Actually it was a Penn 8500SS and Jellytip jigspin rod. a great shallow water set for gurnard Big smile

-------------

Posted By: Tonto2
Date Posted: 18 May 2019 at 10:02pm
LOLFFS, if you enjoyed that it's time to get a new hobby.

-------------
slowly going where everyone else has already been

Posted By: Uncle
Date Posted: 18 May 2019 at 10:49pm
Reckon a white one would be a better bet.LOLLOL
LOL

Posted By: MB
Date Posted: 18 May 2019 at 10:53pm
One memorable day, my fishing buddy outfished me 4:1 with black inchiku while I cycled through orange, green and blue and got increasingly frustrated.

Black is an important colour in the trout fisherman’s fly box and in other forms of lure fishing, so why not snapper?

Date Posted: 18 May 2019 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by MightyBoosh MightyBoosh wrote:

Black is an important colour in the trout fisherman’s fly box and in other forms of lure fishing, so why not snapper?

good point Boosh

-------------

Date Posted: 18 May 2019 at 11:20pm
But softies and jigs are usually on or near the bottom, trout lures/flies are mid to top water. If it works though ...

-------------

Posted By: cirrus
Date Posted: 18 May 2019 at 11:55pm
with trout was said,dark day or night use a dark lure. bright day a light colour lure.

Posted By: Steps
Date Posted: 19 May 2019 at 10:41am
I tie my own flashers. $2 shop feathers some flasher material of all colours. On ledger stray line and long line.
Sort of a very basic angry fish snood.
In shallow water dark browns and even black proved to be rather a surprise result.
I tried this after a angry fish program ages ago where he was going to very dark browns and blacks as primary colour.

I have really wondered for a long time now, how much of fishing lures marketing (like children's toys and books) isabout presentation on the shelf to be attractive to sell rather than actually catch fish

I have never fly fished.. But look at those Flys.. Made to look like an often camo insect. And not very neatly finished like a dropper flasher lure.

Dark/black in shallow water is like a shadow that stands out from the background.

A dark soft bait thrown out into boil up, from underneath becomes a distinct shape against the sun (even over casr) above.

Anyway that's my take on many yrs of tieing flasher /feather lures mostly for strayline

Posted By: Barbary B
Date Posted: 20 May 2019 at 12:45pm
The gulp vader is a great soft bait 

-------------
"Look ahead, look astern, look to weather, look to lea
Look down along the coast of High Barbary..."

Posted By: Fishb8
Date Posted: 21 May 2019 at 4:12pm
I remember a commercial tuna lure fisher who used to target albies saying they had more stripies on their black lure than on any other.

-------------
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken

Posted By: OuttaHere
Date Posted: 21 May 2019 at 9:14pm
I fished a black Docan slider in 60m the other day and absolutely slayed it. So shallow water blah blah is all out the window as far as I'm concerned, fish are happy to whack a black lure. Especially when it looks a bit like an octopus.

Posted By: FishingAlan
Date Posted: 29 May 2019 at 6:32pm
Good point, I agree

Posted By: Reel Deal
Date Posted: 29 May 2019 at 9:44pm
I towed a 6inch slim total black bibbed hard body lure in the tropics most weekends for years and often it was the biggest producer particularly tuna - long tail tuna would only go for that lure. I used it as short gun behind the larger qantas, mackerel and orange lures.

But the locals did ok in dug out boats towing condoms stretched out behind their hooks...

-------------
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb

Posted By: Stormbringer
Date Posted: 29 May 2019 at 10:24pm
black jigs work for kingies too

-------------

Print Page | Close Window