Forum Name: The Work-Up
Forum Description: Game fishing related topics here
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=131035
Printed Date: 30 Mar 2024 at 2:23am

Topic: 8 hours of pain
Posted By: jakepitsville
Subject: 8 hours of pain
Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 4:39pm
Went out wide the other day with good mate Aaron Mcloy.  Initially we thought a feed would be good so we spend ages trying to get a feed of bass/blue nose.  On the 5th drop we finally got one.  We had noticed a pillar of bait up to 80m off the bottomand loads of other sign but a mirrad of drift errors and a gemfish and shovel nose shark things took awhile.

After that we deployed a bait 320m down and we didnt have to wait long.  10 mins in I noticed a small tap on the rod, Aaron said I was dreaming.  5 minutes later tap tap tap - and he says "mate your dreaming" - "again i reply how could you not see that!?"  Im messing with you he replys - sheeshh man having me on?  this is serious i reply.

Soon the fish takes the bait and we let em run for quite some time, slowly pushing the drag up it feels like its gone no weight?... hmm..... back to free spool....waiting waiting oh hang on there it is drag on again and yup were hooked up.  The fish is very heavy, and makes a couple of medium fast charging runs and we dutifully begin to follow.  over the next few hours of we make some small gains when the fish is swimming up usually 50-80 m off the bottom before charging back down against drag and really it goes where it wants, hangs out where its comfortable and nothing really changes apart from my legs start to hurt....  TBC

Replies:
Posted By: krow
Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 7:15pm
Thumbs Up sounds like a good read coming

Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 9:13pm

Posted By: Fishb8
Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 8:34am
Du dum......duh dum..du dum. du dum duh dum

-------------
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken

Posted By: Steps
Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 9:32am
So still hooked up and haven't seen the fish yet?

Posted By: NZTurtle
Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 11:03am
8 hours of pain - sound familiar Dougie?

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: MATTOO
Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 4:26pm
We can only hope you were successful.
I know the effort and hours you have put in so far to get a positive result.
They certainly don't come easy for most.
Waiting for the story of experience.
8 hours, I'd be crying out for relief two hours in.

-------------
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!

Posted By: terrafish
Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 4:34pm
Thresher shark hooked in the tail, is what I hope it isn't !!!!

Posted By: Marligator
Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 4:36pm
Or even worse 8 hours of pain only to lose it without ever seeing what it was, now that is the ultimate frustration I reckon.

-------------

Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by NZTurtle NZTurtle wrote:

8 hours of pain - sound familiar Dougie?

Yes, but the only thing that was in pain was Deirdre's electric reel!LOLClown

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 5:42pm
Catchelot,
Whose Diedrie.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 6:00pm
Im hanging here.. not sure if have this right???
 "Title is 8 hrs of pain.."
 ending with " TBC " At 4:49pm yesterday

then next post of the pic 20 hr 40 mins ago  that makes 
10 pm yesterday??

OK what happened , what is it.. or was?

Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

Catchelot,
Whose Diedrie.

Doug aka Krow LOL

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 7:23pm
Cheers Al.
I'll remember to use the call sign Diedre next time I call Doug.

Steps.
8 hours, would take me days to recover and type.
Though Jake is a much younger man than I.
We're all on tender hooks hoping for the best.
He's hopefully smoking it up now, I'm waiting the call for a pick up of broadbill.

-------------

Posted By: spin king
Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 7:31pm
**** I hope the story isn't in the title "8hrs of pain" as in broke an arm or got a spear through an appendage and it took 8hrs of slowly making their way in...... plz be a big swordy you tease

Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

Cheers Al.
I'll remember to use the call sign Diedre next time I call Doug.

Yep when he isn't fishing he is normally washing his hair and painting his nails, hence the name WinkLOL

-------------

Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 7:55pm
Sorry guys been in hospital. Not from broadbill. Long story short the fish smashed us for 7 hours doing what it wanted. Slowly but surely it started to be more erratic and make more crazy runs came up to surface but never broke jumped. Did circles. Made some power surges. Swam along the 200m line for a few hours then back towards canyon then more circles. Repeat with long runs that were completely unstoppable.

Slowly we were getting somewhere after being railed for 6 hours at times having 3 guides under the water. Finally we had it to the top shot and a flash of a big silver side and the lights before running steadily for again 5minutes while we chased along at 2 knots behind Darn fresh as. .   Then we thought it was dead after getting to top shot then it run heart breaking 220m down and not doing alot. We starting corkscrewing it up under big drag and locking down hands and we were WINNING. 50M UP. 100M UP. NOT FAR TO GO.

Deteriating weather forcast outlook was 20 or was it 30 knots NE WIND and 2m developing NE SWELL. IT HAD ALREADY BUILT TO solid white caps and every turn ment the wind catching and blowing the boat in such a way it made the fight hugely difficult.

At 840 just on 8 hours from hook up while desperately trying to get the last 40m my top shot bthe line parted. Turns out she was still alive and didnt want to come up.

Comptletly wrecked me.

Posted By: spin king
Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 8:02pm
fffuuuuuicccxkkkkkkk great one that got away story I'm sorry to hear that

Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 8:09pm
Aagghhh,
I guess that means no smoked broadbill.

I've never fought a fish that long.

Just don't what to say Jake, gutted for you.

Know you'll keep trying, I hope.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 8:11pm
Will go to 60kg top shot and give fish way more grief at beginning to hopefully shorten fight. Next one will prob be a toothpick that will be embarrassing hahahha

Posted By: Muzzfishing
Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 8:38pm
A good effort Jake, to fight it for that long then have the line break.                      Some fish just aren't meant to be caught.

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">     A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.

Posted By: White snake
Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 9:17pm
Hard luck Jake.Bloody gutting.Especially with all the effort you put in.The highs and lows of fishing.Its never a nice feeling when the weather ****s itself either.

Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 10:08pm
Top effort and RESPECT Jake, but thats fishing, you know that and I know you will be back for more, next time maybe with bigger guns!ClapClap

-------------

Posted By: reel crayze
Date Posted: 15 May 2019 at 7:47am
Hard luck, great read thanks for posting.

Hope you are better.

Date Posted: 15 May 2019 at 9:19am
Yeah back at work atm thinking about doing a heavier top shot and having another go on the weekend but emmm dunno.  And yeah some fish just are not ment to be caught.

Posted By: Titahi
Date Posted: 15 May 2019 at 5:56pm
Top marks for effort
Don’t fall into the trap of thinking “some fish aren’t meant to be caught”... that’s not why it got away.
Very good fisherman regularly chasing and catching records dont make excuses, they review, plan implement then review again....
sounds like you’ve figured out what and how for next shot, Catch em up!!!

-------------
"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"

Posted By: krow
Date Posted: 15 May 2019 at 7:31pm
Feel your pain Jake. I know what it's all about too. Sounds like it was the same fish I played with a couple of years ago. 23kg drag 1/2 the rod in the water and still peeled off 400m in one run.

Posted By: Alan L
Date Posted: 15 May 2019 at 8:03pm
Had a fish on for 5 1/2 hrs about 18 mths ago, stand up. Trace (80lb) finally broke. I don't feel bad - just happy to have fought such a beast - big as the boat. It is some achievement to do 8 hrs on a fish. landed or not (near irrelevant in my opinion). And my feeling is they are entitled to win some, when they fight like that. Landed or not, an experience to be remembered.
And thats what it is about - right?
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 4:41pm
Thanks all for the input - its one reason why I still post here is everyones shared experience!  Titahi  Iknow what you mean and we have upgraded, but on the day with the experience we had "the fish wasnt ment to be caught"  I dunno maybe we have to earn it more but one thing for sure it was a fish of a life time and we just were not good enough with fatigue building seas and i was not patient enough.    Aaron summed it up well the next day and said it was an experience he will remember for the rest of his life - mine to!

Posted By: yknot
Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 5:53pm
Awsome stuff jake, part of fishing is the planning. When we do the miles we get the smiles.

-------------
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.

Posted By: LBGer
Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 6:32pm
Call Peter Jackson and pitch the movie line.... not sure if it would be labelled a disaster movie or a drama..... 8 hours, mate that's hard.

-------------
A king on the bricks is worth 5 in a boat.

Posted By: Fishb8
Date Posted: 17 May 2019 at 8:52pm
Awesome stuff Jake and mucho commiserations.
Next time, eh?

I dragged a dead stripy out of 350 M and it took me 4 1/2 hours - I was totally shagged, utterly & completely.
Next time, if I get anything like that again, then 2 hrs max and hand rod over to someone else. At one point I let butt rest on gunwhale and within 10 seconds skipper tapped me on shoulder and made an upwards sign.....b....ard!
Respect!

-------------
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken

Posted By: widerange
Date Posted: 18 May 2019 at 8:23am
Mean rumble,not too many fish can rumble like that and can be a long time between hooking up to one that can.
!0/10 points for giving it your best shot and in less than ideal conditions,not cutting it off so you could get home in time for tea

Date Posted: 18 May 2019 at 9:29am
2hrs or 4 6 or 8hrs those are memories that I may one day experiance.
In the mean time can only sit back in respect of the person on one end the the fish on the other.
The odd fish, no where near this sort of league that have lost without seeing, and eventually seeing then lost, the latter has always been the most memorable and still satisifying in just getting it up.

Full respect for you and the fish.

Posted By: mozz
Date Posted: 19 May 2019 at 3:08am
I feel your pain! We lost a beast after 6 hours 2 weeks ago. I had it on the leader 5 times!

Posted By: Speedy
Date Posted: 22 May 2019 at 9:05pm
Tough break mate! But jeez aye, you gotta love the unknown feeling of setting off out to sea - you just never know what's going to happen...

Sounds like an amazing experience and no doubt you'll be wiser for it - as might a couple of us after reading this!

Cheers
Speedy

-------------
Proud supporter of Ronald McDonald House & the team at Legasea

Print Page | Close Window