Print Page | Close Window

Light stickbait rod wanted

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: Popper and Topwater Fishing
Forum Description: If you're into a bit of action on top, this is the forum for you
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=131004
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 11:33am

Topic: Light stickbait rod wanted
Posted By: Mono
Subject: Light stickbait rod wanted
Date Posted: 10 May 2019 at 3:04pm
After a rod to suit 5000 size reel with pe2/3 braid. The longer the better, pe 2/4,anyone got something to move on, really like coltsniper but $500rrp is out of my price range, have looked at importing same rod landed in nz for $260 any one else done simular?.

Replies:
Posted By: The Tamure Kid
Date Posted: 10 May 2019 at 4:23pm
I did almost exactly that, with a 9'6" Major Craft Crostage shore jigging rod from Japan - to use with 30lb braid and a 5000/6000 reel. For casting light poppers etc for smaller harbour/estuary kingies. It's a nice rod with Fuji K guides etc. Made in China, but most of the mainstream stuff is, these days.

The import experience was excellent. Rod was packaged expertly in a tube and arrived quickly.

As long as the total is less than NZ$400 you won't get pinged for GST and other import costs.

Date Posted: 10 May 2019 at 4:38pm
Thanks for that, I've never imported before preferring to support locally but price difference is nearly half, I know high end casting rods aren't common in nz but surely they could compete.

Posted By: Pico
Date Posted: 10 May 2019 at 5:29pm
Check out the daiwa lateo 1100mh. I imported one from Oz a while back. Really nice rod, until I high sticked it while unhooking a snapper....
Check out motackle, they have 15% off every now and then, and you also get 10% off if you’re buying from Oz.

Posted By: Pico
Date Posted: 10 May 2019 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by Mono Mono wrote:

Thanks for that, I've never imported before preferring to support locally but price difference is nearly half, I know high end casting rods aren't common in nz but surely they could compete.

Which site are you looking at for the coltsniper? On plat the coltsniper is a pretty similar price to nz when you take shipping and potential GST into account... but there is a much cheaper model, the ‘BB coltsniper’ on plat...

Date Posted: 10 May 2019 at 6:32pm
Nz Asian portal & Rakuten and yes possibly bb model but info was confusing showing s1000h but saying bb, perhaps I was seeing what I wanted to see haha.

Posted By: PE Pete
Date Posted: 10 May 2019 at 6:50pm
PM sent

-------------
Tight lines
PE Pete

Posted By: Polar_Kiwis
Date Posted: 10 May 2019 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by Pico Pico wrote:

Originally posted by Mono Mono wrote:

Which site are you looking at for the coltsniper? On plat the coltsniper is a pretty similar price to nz when you take shipping and potential GST into account... but there is a much cheaper model, the ‘BB coltsniper’ on plat...

Free rod shipping from PLAT on most rods now.

-------------
Here fishy, fishy fishy.... Nom, nom, nom

Posted By: tourleymunro
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2019 at 9:45am
Hey mate,

I've got a Dakau Longtail
11 foot
Pe3-4
Fuji titanium guides
X flock grips

Posted By: kaveman
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 7:27am
I have a model that we use for shore casting, 9' long Japanese toray carbon with nano composites, all fuji K guides and reelseat, 2 piece mid join in a neoprene travel bag brand new for $279 plus courier $10
pe1-3, lure 20-70g, max drag 11kg

Way better rod than some of the ones available in shops
I get them built for my KavemanTackle company

-------------
www.kavemantackle.co.nz

Posted By: kaveman
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 7:30am
Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

I did almost exactly that, with a 9'6" Major Craft Crostage shore jigging rod from Japan - to use with 30lb braid and a 5000/6000 reel. For casting light poppers etc for smaller harbour/estuary kingies. It's a nice rod with Fuji K guides etc. Made in China, but most of the mainstream stuff is, these days.

The import experience was excellent. Rod was packaged expertly in a tube and arrived quickly.

As long as the total is less than NZ$400 you won't get pinged for GST and other import costs.

All imports now get charged 15% gst, it is added on at all major storesWink

-------------
www.kavemantackle.co.nz

Posted By: Sufishent
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2020 at 11:03am
Revisiting an older topic:

Have just sourced a 6000 size Shimano reel that I want to become a back up Topwater set for inner Hauraki Gulf work - casting at shipping buoys etc. Will be using off my 15' tinny so can't be longer than 8'. Thinking in the PE2-4 range as don't want a heavy broomstick. Budget is in the $200-250 range.

Suggestions welcomed.

-------------
You can never have enough fishing tackle

Posted By: The Tamure Kid
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2020 at 6:27pm
Hi mate, hope all's well. I hope all of this is over in time to bump into you somewhere out by the islands in spring!!

That reel sounds perfect. I have a Shimano Biomaster in that size and it's a good one for 30lb braid. If you haven't got braid already, have a look at the Tasline Elite White that Kaveman has on his site. Very nice NZ-made and highly regarded by topwater guys overseas. He's got it at at great price.

I did a lot of looking for rods of the weight you're after, in a similar budget. I ended up getting a Samaki Vanquish 25-40lb rated rod from Australia which has turned out to be a very nice rod, but locally I reckon it'd be hard to go past the Penn Ocean Assassin in that size/weight range. It's 7'4" and certainly got nice guides and reel seat. Ideal for a smallish boat like ours. I reckon it'd go nicely with a 2oz jighead and a 10" Z Man Heroz, as well as lighter hard body lures. Smart Marine has it in stock. 

https://www.smartmarine.co.nz/product/16726/ocean-assassin-742mh-74-spin-rod-pe2-4" rel="nofollow - https://www.smartmarine.co.nz/product/16726/ocean-assassin-742mh-74-spin-rod-pe2-4

Posted By: MB
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2020 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

I reckon it'd be hard to go past the Penn Ocean Assassin in that size/weight range. It's 7'4" and certainly got nice guides and reel seat. Ideal for a smallish boat like ours. I reckon it'd go nicely with a 2oz jighead and a 10" Z Man Heroz, as well as lighter hard body lures. Smart Marine has it in stock. 

https://www.smartmarine.co.nz/product/16726/ocean-assassin-742mh-74-spin-rod-pe2-4" rel="nofollow - https://www.smartmarine.co.nz/product/16726/ocean-assassin-742mh-74-spin-rod-pe2-4

Agree!

Posted By: Snapper12
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2020 at 8:07pm
Have a shimano backbone elite 50 to 80lbs
Rod hardly used.
Will let go for $150 if u keen.
Located in manurewa 02108256334

Print Page | Close Window