Forum Name: DB Export Fishing Reports
Forum Description: Share information about your latest fishing trip
URL: http://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=130993
Printed Date: 23 May 2019 at 8:51am

Topic: Mokau Fatties!!
Posted By: Snappa Geoff
Subject: Mokau Fatties!!
Date Posted: 08 May 2019 at 8:44pm
HI All, With the Flat weather window about to end and my Brother home, made the call  last night to ditch work for today and chase some Snaps insteadBig smile We were out by 8am in a slightly choppy sea from the offshore wind. Bait was plentyfull and had a bunch of Kahawai in no time! Whole fillets and heads were the go on our Straylines so out they went. Just wanted to mention i never use berley to attract the fish, i prefer to wait patiently for the bigger ones to turn up then start slowly unloading cut up pieces of kahawai frames over the side. This keeps them around and interested in the baits. With in an hour today we had a couple of good runs each and landed fish to 5kgs. Before finally i got a screamer of a run. Let it go and go then locked into itWink Big weight on rod i knew it was a good Snap. About eight minutes later a big fat Snap lay in the net! This one didn't make it on release as it had swallowed both hooks. Mick picked up a similar size one soon after that we let go. We both got our best Snaps for a while. mission complete. Got a measure shot for my first entry into this years measure comp as well. went 83.5 cm. We were the only ones out and in by 2pm. A few shots from a great day out with my Bro.Beer 

Replies:
Posted By: MacSkipper
Date Posted: 09 May 2019 at 5:55am
Those Mokau monsters - awesome Geoff!

-------------
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.

Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 09 May 2019 at 6:58am
Cracker day there Geoff! ClapClap

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Posted By: Muppet
Date Posted: 09 May 2019 at 6:59am
Mean

Posted By: CrayZfish
Date Posted: 09 May 2019 at 10:34am
Nice one Geoff.
Great to see you leading the way with the Measure comp.

-------------
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!

Posted By: tjm
Date Posted: 09 May 2019 at 11:15am
Definitely keepers !! Well done

-------------
Cant beat hunting and Fishing in N.Z

Date Posted: 09 May 2019 at 5:05pm
Thanks for Replies Guys! CrayZfish, Yep its good see it leading, but with the yearly Comp only a month old it wont last there long! Got to have one pushing 90cm to cement a top spot for a whileThumbs Up

Posted By: feeder
Date Posted: 09 May 2019 at 5:32pm
Nice Thumbs Up

-------------
The only bar to frequent is the Kawhia Bar

Posted By: Keith C
Date Posted: 09 May 2019 at 7:32pm
Is that a fresh couta on the floor Geoff? Bit early isn’t it?

Date Posted: 09 May 2019 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by Keith C Keith C wrote:

Is that a fresh couta on the floor Geoff? Bit early isn’t it?
Good Spotting Keith! Caught two smaller ones. Baited them, but not the usual interest....

Posted By: krow
Date Posted: 09 May 2019 at 8:14pm
Just BeerWOW

Posted By: Muzzfishing
Date Posted: 10 May 2019 at 7:11pm
Nice Snaps Geoff, go to be happy with that.Thumbs Up   
What depth are you targetting your Snaps.                                                              Thought I might of seen you at the WSFC big 4 comp in the Tron.

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">     A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.

Date Posted: 22 May 2019 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by Snappa Geoff Snappa Geoff wrote:

Thanks for Replies Guys! CrayZfish, Yep its good see it leading, but with the yearly Comp only a month old it wont last there long! Got to have one pushing 90cm to cement a top spot for a whileThumbs Up
As predicted my Snap didn't last long! for those interested in fish lengths, Andrew Hill has entered a Beauty Snap from the Far North coming in at 90.5 cm to take the lead in this years NZ Measure Comp! Thats going to be a hard one to beat.  High Fives Andrew!! 

Print Page | Close Window