Forum Name: Fishing Reports
Forum Description: Share information about your latest fishing trip
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=130879
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 8:25am

Topic: Whakatane
Posted By: REIVER
Subject: Whakatane
Date Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 9:42am
After our near death experience on the last trip out it was great to have the boat up and running properly. Plenty of skippies still around the ten mile, we trolled for 1/2 an hour and got 6. April to October are my favourite months to fish, the tarakihi are easy to find and for us April/May are awesome months for kingis. 

We tried for tarakihi first and boom! Straight in to them. In the interests of conservation we stopped at 36. We got a couple of good sized ones but not the 2kg plus models we were getting through summer. The day was still young so we stopped on the way home for a snapper fish. Ended up with 12 pannies (best around 31/2 kg) and a couple of gurnard. Great weather as well, perfect day out.

Replies:
Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 3:48pm
Good results and nice haul there, what happened last trip...almost come a gutser on the bar??

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Posted By: Reel Deal
Date Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 10:27am
That’s a seriously productive looking chilly bin . Nice sized terakihi

-------------
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb

Date Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 6:07pm
Haha slight exaggeration for effect Catchelot. My motor stopped 100 metres from the bar on an out going tide a couple of weeks ago. I had just had the motor serviced and they didn't fill the filter with gas before screwing it on. Used up the fuel in the line and....... nothing. Frantically threw the anchor out and got a tow back to the ramp. It could have been much worse. Another 100 metres and well who knows. Would have been a good test for my boat though.

Posted By: Muzzfishing
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 8:11pm
Nice bin full there Reiver, after reading the first sentence thought another victim on the bar. A good ending for worrying time, dont think I would want to be testing my boat on the bar with no power.

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">     A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.

Date Posted: 12 May 2019 at 5:06pm
Perfect day out weather wise yesterday. Still some nice skippies around the 10 mile, we caught another 7 $16 dollar notes on the way out to our spots yesterday.

I don't normally take more than 3 people in the boat, it just gets too crowded, but a friend of a friend wanted to tick a kingi off his bucket list so 4 of us headed out targeting  tarakihi and hoping for a kingi. We ended up getting Bart a kingi, not a monster at 17kg but he was rapt. The tarakihi were biting well, we ended up with 75 plus a couple of pinkies to top the bin off. Nothing big like our last trips but an awesome feed.  No snapper this trip, we had a good bin full of fish and decided not to stop on the way back in. Flat out with work for the next couple of weeks, hopefully we will be able to get out again in June.

Date Posted: 20 May 2019 at 5:52pm
Making it sound easy catching those Taraki. What depth are you fishing in to get them.

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">     A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 8:47am
Sorry Muzz did not see this earlier. These were all around 130 metres. Found a nice patch of them and just kept working it

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 11:28am
First day out for a while yesterday. Bad weather, mechanical failure and work work work have conspired to limit the fishing opportunities.

I had to teach in the morning so didn't get to Whakatane until 11:00am but what a stunning day. Next to no wind and quite mild.

Straight out to one of our tarakihi spots and straight in to them. We got about 30 in a couple of hours and a decent (around 20kg) kingfish that had its tail removed by a shark on the way up. Tried another couple of spots for a co

uple

more tarakihi and a couple of sharks then fished a spot I have been wanting to target for a while. 6 snapper and 4 decent gurnard to round the day off. Awesomely 

awesome.

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 2:06pm
A good bin full there, well done. That kingi is a perfect fit for the chilli bin.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 7:33pm
Was a great day Muzz. Snapper in 105 metres! Never picked them up that deep before

Posted By: Snappa Geoff
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 6:03am
Nice Reiver! must of been great to get into them again after a break!

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 9:45am
Sure was Geoff. Really looking forward to Spring

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 2:34pm
Nice to get out again at last yesterday. Perfect conditions, the new Minn Kota works well. I haven't been out fo rages and was a bit worried I would have to work a bit to find them but boom, straight in. We ended up with about 50 fish Mostly tarakihi and other reefy things.

Not sure what this is. We caught it on the bottom in 120 metres.

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 10:21pm
Nice Reiver good healthy looking bin. Looks like an electric reel in the first pic making the fishing a breeze. How did you like the Minn Kota

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 5:41am
Nice fishing again Reiver! Wot are the red fish in bin like to eat?Beer

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 7:46am
Originally posted by Muzzfishing Muzzfishing wrote:

Nice Reiver good healthy looking bin. Looks like an electric reel in the first pic making the fishing a breeze. How did you like the Minn Kota
    Hi Muzz the Minn Kota worked well, still getting used to it. Makes life a bit easier. Had an issue with it cutting out/losing the connection with the remote. I will get it sorted eventually!

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 7:49am
Originally posted by Snappa Geoff Snappa Geoff wrote:

Nice fishing again Reiver! Wot are the red fish in bin like to eat?Beer
   Hi Geoff really good to be out on the water again for sure. The red things are red snapper, pretty good to eat (not as good as a normal snapper imo) . You catch some good sized ones at White Island.    https://www.seafoods.com/product/93-new-zealand-red-snapper" rel="nofollow - https://www.seafoods.com/product/93-new-zealand-red-snapper     PM me if you are still keen to catch a tarakihi, I should be free for most of January

Posted By: Motorhead
Date Posted: 27 Dec 2019 at 3:54pm
Does anyone have any updates on the Rahui currently in place in and around the Whakatane waters? Cheers

Date Posted: 27 Dec 2019 at 7:36pm
The latest I can find is "until further notice'.  Maybe just in time to go back to work?

Date Posted: 27 Dec 2019 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by REIVER REIVER wrote:

The latest I can find is "until further notice'.  Maybe just in time to go back to work?

Hope not! I’m all for respecting those that lost their lives but the lack of news regarding when this rahui is to be lifted is bit unusual.

Posted By: wayno
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2019 at 3:05pm
Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Awa advises that the Ngāti Awa rāhui (temporary ritual prohibition) that has been in place since the Whakaari eruption was lifted at 1pm today (28 December 2019).

Following discussions this morning between senior Ngāti Awa kaumatua and cultural experts, the appropriate karakia (prayers) were performed by Ngāti Awa tohunga at 1pm today, lifting the rāhui he placed in the late afternoon following the Whakaari eruption.
Consequently, temporary prohibitions on marine activities undertaken within the Ngāti Awa rohe moana (customary coastal territory) – including fishing and the gathering of seafood - have now been removed.
The Ngāti Awa rohe moana encompasses the Whakatāne, Ōhope and Ōhiwa coastlines, and Rurima, Moutohorā and Te Puia ō Whakaari islands.
Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Awa acknowledges residents, visitors and the general public for their respect and support of the rāhui following the eruption of Whakaari.

https://www.facebook.com/SunFM1065/photos/a.685961174800928/2782158865181138/?type=3&eid=ARCGpSbZFLPF8fxLy-5OTQaQI_WVfXKE0KdN-CyIqkrZJEZNjWylNjcAvOagjDDNfN1v-USNMD0abRZJ&__xts__%5B0%5D=68.ARBPukETHykSTVuf-QpT9HaDdX2a27JlWWcBg9sqeEzCbLsBX0FXYoTIjdTJC2BwCOJbIsiZOxXWtsehHayRUNKMHTON36YAX6rWnnhedm3oLyRvvVHn0SYkhC3dQFmfUHukT8hKLtalC_FHp7nVAHew7i47ifWZB7o0Q_fY9RGqUO3Rr1v2A--HYdk3NL_EqyU7zYOIH-PQXupk5sZE-wUO54D8FrrKRM9u2w5hSAo_h0lxALhsrllvvDnWVca6PBqC9F5UJuh5hSax2RSbck0QWSiGl5Fz2q6EeVggFMyqbwdVISEHDlsPK5D2dL9gjXyLw0rTiz2mIbn32dK66kffIF_g47VEDtIiDp9Dmhxzn5_XxoJkH61Q&__tn__=EHH-R" rel="nofollow">
Image may contain: possible text that says Te Runanga o Ngati Awa THE NGATI AWA RAHUI HAS BEEN LIFTED AS AT 1PM, SAT 28 DECEMBER. THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE & RESPECT OF THE RÄHUI

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">
To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid.

Date Posted: 28 Dec 2019 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by wayno wayno wrote:

<span style="font-family: inherit;">Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Awa advises that the Ngāti Awa rāhui (temporary ritual prohibition) that has been in place since the Whakaari eruption was lifted at 1pm today (28 December 2019).</span><div -testid="post_message" ="_5pbx user _3576" -ft=""tn":"K"" id="js_96o" style="font-size: 14px; line-height: 1.38; margin-top: 6px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; color: rgb29, 33, 41;"><div id="id_5e06b66c3e1443d21977280" ="text_exposed_root text_exposed" style="display: inline; font-family: inherit;"><p style="margin: 0px 0px 6px; font-family: inherit;">Following discussions this morning between senior Ngāti Awa kaumatua and cultural experts, the appropriate karakia (prayers) were performed by Ngāti Awa tohunga at 1pm today, lifting the rāhui he placed in the late afternoon following the Whakaari eruption.
Consequently, temporary prohibitions on <span ="text_exposed_show" style="display: inline; font-family: inherit;">marine activities undertaken within the Ngāti Awa rohe moana (customary coastal territory) – including fishing and the gathering of seafood - have now been removed.
The Ngāti Awa rohe moana encompasses the Whakatāne, Ōhope and Ōhiwa coastlines, and Rurima, Moutohorā and Te Puia ō Whakaari islands.
Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Awa acknowledges residents, visitors and the general public for their respect and support of the rāhui following the eruption of Whakaari.</span>

<div ="_3x-2" -ft=""tn":"H"" style="font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; color: rgb29, 33, 41;"><div -ft=""tn":"H"" style="font-family: inherit;"><div ="mtm" style="margin-top: 10px; font-family: inherit;"><div style="font-family: inherit; : relative;"><div ="_5cq3 _1ktf" -ft=""tn":"E"" style="margin-left: -12px; : relative; font-family: inherit;">[URL=https://www.facebook.com/SunFM1065/photos/a.685961174800928/2782158865181138/?type=3&eid=ARCGpSbZFLPF8fxLy-5OTQaQI_WVfXKE0KdN-CyIqkrZJEZNjWylNjcAvOagjDDNfN1v-USNMD0abRZJ&__xts__%5B0%5D=68.ARBPukETHykSTVuf-QpT9HaDdX2a27JlWWcBg9sqeEzCbLsBX0FXYoTIjdTJC2BwCOJbIsiZOxXWtsehHayRUNKMHTON36YAX6rWnnhedm3oLyRvvVHn0SYkhC3dQFmfUHukT8hKLtalC_FHp7nVAHew7i47ifWZB7o0Q_fY9RGqUO3Rr1v2A--HYdk3NL_EqyU7zYOIH-PQXupk5sZE-wUO54D8FrrKRM9u2w5hSAo_h0lxALhsrllvvDnWVca6PBqC9F5UJuh5hSax2RSbck0QWSiGl5Fz2q6EeVggFMyqbwdVISEHDlsPK5D2dL9gjXyLw0rTiz2mIbn32dK66kffIF_g47VEDtIiDp9Dmhxzn5_XxoJkH61Q&__tn__=EHH-R]<div ="uiScaledContainer _4-ep" id="u_ps_fetchstream_46_0_k" style=": relative; overflow: ; font-family: inherit; width: 500px; height: 262px;]Image may contain: possible text that says Te Runanga o Ngati Awa THE NGATI AWA RAHUI HAS BEEN LIFTED AS AT 1PM, SAT 28 DECEMBER. THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE &amp; RESPECT OF THE RÄHUI[/URL]

Thanks for the heads up Wayno. Cheers

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 12:13pm
Happy New Year everybody. Great to get out yesterday, perfect conditions on the water. 2019 was quite a year for not going fishing for me for lots of reasons (illness, breakdowns, a rahui, etc etc etc) looking forward to making up for it this year.

We set out at first light to avoid the rush at the ramp and went straight for tarakihi. I tried a few different spots for pretty average results, a couple here a couple there (we did get some nice gemfish and a couple of huge japanese gurnard though). Frostfish, barracuda, sharks (and more sharks) everything but tarakihi. I was starting to despair when I tried one last patch of foul I have marked on my plotter. Bang, straight in to them. Picked up 25 in the end plus a couple of nice blue cod and a small puka. From here we went back inshore for a quick snapper fish. Ended up with 6, a couple of nice ones but nothing massive. Ended up with a good feed in the end. Was good to hear of a few yellowfin caught by other boats as well. Spoke to one crew at the ramp who had caught a couple and heard of another one on the radio. Awesomely awesome.

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 3:06pm
Nice result Reiver.
Was out yesterday too, Found the Terakihi straight away but their mouths were tightly clamped shut for most of the day. 
Started off with skippy lures out behind Whale for absolutely nothing.
Over to Terakihi spot for as many Kahawai as Terakihi in the first 3 hours (and that wasn't many!), then managed to entice a few more and a solitary 35cm snapper from 90m.
Stopped at the 30m mark to try for a Gurnard on the way home, managed to stand on a skippy lure hook that had came loose from the shelf and fallen to the floor... 2 1/2 hrs at A & E later...
Posted on another old thread re Skeg repair - wasn't a great day overall... But still, a feed for myself, the cat, the parents and neighbours and frames going out to local families so not a total lost effort.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 3:35pm
Ouch for your foot and ouch for your motor. Did you hit a rock?

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 3:46pm

Ouch for your foot and ouch for your motor. Did you hit a rock?
No, couldn't drive with hook in foot so called my father to drive me home from the ramp. Got him to drive straight up as it can be a pr1ck to reverse into my driveway. After A&E I flushed motor, then about an hour later decided to get the boat parked where it normally lives before the anisthetic in my foor work off...
Couldn't see the motor to notice it was still down when I went out to move the boat and reversed out to the street, knocked the skeg on the road... Ouch is right!

Not sure if repairs would be covered by insurance? Might have to give them a call to check.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 6:17pm
Went out this morning as forecast looked mint. Forecast was not accurate however as crappy wind persisted.
Went behind Whale and limited out on snaps from 34cm to 40cm. Also had a bronzie of approx 1.5m take a softy that hooked his pectoral fin that took 45 minutes on 4kg to get along side the boat😂.

I must say people using the ramp at Whakatane appear to be better trained than a lot at Tga ramps.

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 2:47pm
Pretty average day yesterday. Lots and lots of berley for 10 snapper to 3.5kg, a couple of gurnard and a heap of sharks. We caught a thresher, a 7 gill, a couple of small bronzies,  a couple of hammerheads and a few doggies. Never seen anything like it. Great inshore conditions with the South Easterly, nice and flat. I decided to head out to try for a tarakihi at the new spot I found last trip. Did a few drifts for nothing then hit a nice patch. Ended up with about 25  plus a couple of blue cod and a couple of japanese gurnard. Nice to be out but the fishing seems tough at the moment.

We lost a few tarakihi while reeling them in, a massive run then nothing. Assumed it was sharks and then this thing popped it's head up. Never really thought about it before but I suppose they are capable of raiding your fish. 

Also id required . One of the japanese gurnard coughed up these in the boat. Never seen them before. Does anyone know what they are. Caught in around 150 metres.

Posted By: cirrus
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 4:32pm
Nice catch of mixed species. At a guess those two fish from the gurnard could be  Long nosed snipefish.

60-250 m. Usually have pink-red tinge above.

Posted By: CBF-Whk
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 8:21pm
Snipefish, find alot in snappers over winter.

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 8:20pm
Thanks for the id

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 10:56pm
Nice work, was occupied at the Seafood festival at the Heads yesterday.
Could only look at the boats going past with a tinge of jealousy Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 7:08am
Nice Reiver! Snipefish strange looking.....Beer

Posted By: CBF-Whk
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 9:49pm
Had a good time fishing meatballs NW of the Rau's this morning. No YF seen but heaps of skippies. Scooped a bin of bait with the little live dait net. May have to dig the anchovies net out again and the polling jigs.

CBF
Whk

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 6:52pm
40 tarakihi and 6 good sized skippies yesterday. Not really trying for skippies just popped a couple of lures out on our way to the tarakihi. Picked up a couple (tarakihi) at 3 different spots then found a good patch of fish and just worked it until we had our 40. 

Had to evade a couple of boats making a line for us. I think they were trying to get a fix on my fishing spot, but then again maybe they were just trying to be friendly and strike up a conversation. A bit of a nuisance but better to be cautious. People don't seem to appreciate you may have thousands of litres of gas and hundreds of hours on the water invested in where you fish.

Date Posted: 16 May 2020 at 6:53pm
Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes finally got out yesterday. The fishing was pretty average we got a dozen pannies and a feed of tarakihi (was hoping fo ra few more but couldn't find them) and other ooglies but oh so good to be on the water again.

Date Posted: 24 Dec 2020 at 10:45pm
Been months and months but finally got out. Pretty average fishing 20 tarakihi and 3 bonus puka, lots of toothy things (sharks, barras and frostfish) Got a good feed so happy. Lost a bit of gear so headed home. Super nice to get out again

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 10:57am
Months and no fishing given the fish a holiday on your spots good to see some Whakatane reports. Where you putting a new motor on your boat.

-------------

Posted By: Accident Prone
Date Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 11:51am
Plenty of snaps around in the 20m mark down of Matata at the moment. Didn't find much out of Thornton or Tarawera river but heaps beyond that area.

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 5:10pm
Hi Muzz yes I got a Suzuki 175 to replace my aging Optimax. They overpropped it though at set up, put a 21" pitch prop on it which was a bit ridiculous. Was ok on the lake running it in but out in the swell it just bogged down. It was horible.  I just got a 17" put on it so out to the lake in the next couple of days to see how it goes. It should be spot on. Looking forward to making up for lost time, I haven't had that good a run over the last couple of years but will be taking it out on the bluenose very soon.

There is some great country past the cliffs at Matata Accident Prone, lots of foul to prospect right down to Maketu. I fished that way for years and got some nice snapper and kings but head East on the sand now, might have to give it a nudge back down that way  

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 2:51pm
Hope you have a bit more success with the new prop, seen you post on a Suzuki FB page and guessed you were the same person.
Enjoy reading your posts as Whakatane is one of my favourite places to fish just dont get down there often enough. Interested to see how the new motor goes.    Hoping to up grade near the end of this year.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 5:17pm
Thanks Muzz, should be good now. If you are keen for a tarakihi fish  p/m me. March/April/May normally good months for us.

Posted By: Accident Prone
Date Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 6:58pm

There is some great country past the cliffs at Matata Accident Prone, lots of foul to prospect right down to Maketu. I fished that way for years and got some nice snapper and kings but head East on the sand now, might have to give it a nudge back down that way  

Cheers for that Reiver,
I'm fairly new to the inshore fishing out of Whakatane, I've spent most of my time at White and the surrounding seamounts. I am enjoying finding new areas mostly fishing soft plastics for snaps.
Is the 20m mark East pretty good also? Out off Ohope way or further down the coast?
Cheers!

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 10:11pm
Went out anniversary day for a bit of a run. 14 snapper down of Opape plus kept a couple of kahawai to start with. Nothing big snapper wise, all 35 - 40 cm. Great eating. Headed from there out to a tarakihi spot. Pretty hard work but we ended up with 21 plus a couple of nice big pinkies. I found a couple of schools but they seemed to be moving. Would drift through them a couple of times and load up then there was just nothing there on exactly the same drift. Got a feed anyway. Bit of a quick troll on the way home for skippies, ended up with a couple of small albies. Was good to give my new motor a good run in the sea with the new prop. Problem solved, 17" appears spot on. I have a 17" enertia from my Optimax in the shed, I might try that and see how it goes. They are are a great prop.

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 9:32pm
Nice Reiver, 
What depth are you going to for the Snapper always wanted to try my luck down that way but never made it. Good to hear the new motor is performing better with a different prop happy days.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 7:24pm
Out last Friday for the first time in ages. Pretty good day, just targeted tarakihi, ended up with 36 plus a nice kingi and a few other bit sand pieces.  Lost a few sets of gear to small makos so decided to call it a day. Looked like a few skippies still around, had a 30 minute troll on the way home but no joy.

Posted By: Coutta
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 11:31am
Hi Reiver, I normally fish out of the Kaituna or Tauranga. A mate gave me a gurnard mark and I did pretty well on a trip late last year. Being a bit sick of snapper (first world problem I know) I went out on Thursday and gave it a shot. Nothing. Picked up a limit of panny snapper on the drift in 90 ft. Any idea when the gurnard make an appearance.

Posted By: Coutta
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 11:32am
Sorry, omitted to say the gurnard mark is off Whakatane where I went the other day.

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 5:28pm
Well done Reiver, good to hear the Skippys are still around.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 6:38pm
Not sure where the gurnard mark is but have done ok 20/30 metres off the Ohiwa bar. Not much of a gurnard fisherman but winter/spring are meant to be the best months

Print Page | Close Window