Forum Name: The Work-Up
Forum Description: Game fishing related topics here
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=130519
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 9:36am

Topic: Tasman Delivery
Posted By: swordfishsteve
Subject: Tasman Delivery
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 6:06am
Just spent 6 days and nights on onboard this Maritimo52 delivery trip from Gold Coast Ausie to Auckland, some 1350nmls in the Tasman Ocean, not for the Fainthearted believe me.
Some nice weather, some not so nice, seen two free jumper marlin, one at north end of Wanganellas 300nmls NW off North Cape and one in 60mtrs off Surville Cliffs at North Cape.
Used 6000 ltrs of Diesel, we had 3000ltrs in bladders on deck and in Laz, not much left when we cleared customs into Opua.
My first Tasman crossing , perhaps my last, who knows?
Anyway all good, as no one died and boat is safe here in Auckland for new owner, thanks for great company Russel & Ron.

-------------
REEL REPAIR GUY - Swordfishsteve, That Is Who I Am and That is What I Do : See More At :www.reelrepairguy.co.nz

Replies:
Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 8:52am
It must have been a great feeling to see land again. Imagine how tough it would have been for the early European explorers, then step it up 10 times for the Polynesian explorers. It makes you wonder how any of them survived. I'm pretty sure I'd rather not do a trans Tasman crossing but it's not something you'd be likely to forget.

-------------
Best gurnard fisherman in my street

Posted By: Alan L
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 11:38am
Great trip. Did you hang a rod out the back? :-)
Or was your cruising speed too fast?
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Posted By: Titahi
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 12:45pm
I’ve transited in the opposite direction, flying the yellow flag at Newcastle, was taken aback by the amount of offshore traffic within 200NM of the coast.... needless to say your eyes get large at 3:00 am when the radar starts picking up multiple targets .......

-------------
"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"

Posted By: swordfishsteve
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 12:45pm
Alan
No rod holders, no fishing rods or reels or lures onboard, brand spanking new boat, average speed over 1350 mls was 10 knots. cheers swordfishsteve 

-------------
REEL REPAIR GUY - Swordfishsteve, That Is Who I Am and That is What I Do : See More At :www.reelrepairguy.co.nz

Posted By: SaltyC
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 1:00pm
Rather you than me in one of those Steve! Did you carry emergency covers for those hull portholes? Very scary in a big sea otherwise.

Posted By: Alan L
Date Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by swordfishsteve swordfishsteve wrote:

Alan
No rod holders, no fishing rods or reels or lures onboard, brand spanking new boat, average speed over 1350 mls was 10 knots. cheers swordfishsteve 

Hmmm 
No rod holders :-(, or rods :-(
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Print Page | Close Window