Print Page | Close Window

Surtees 575 info

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: General Forums
Forum Name: The Boat Shed
Forum Description: Discuss all things boating.
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=130252
Printed Date: 17 Apr 2024 at 9:10am

Topic: Surtees 575 info
Posted By: peeda
Subject: Surtees 575 info
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 11:11pm
I am pretty dead set on getting the Surtees 575 around or just after the boat show this year. Just have a couple of questions for those that own them and kitting them out:

Drum winch - What brand/type would fit?

Is a double battery required? 

Trim tabs - Can these be retrofitted if required? Has windage affected the boat much for those that own them?

Motor option - I've been out and tested one which had a yummy 115 on the back and it was great. Any one have experience with the Suzuki or Honda?

Seating etc - Will be sourcing this from hitech plastics myself.

Replies:
Posted By: yknot
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 9:00am
Double battery will assist with electronics being used, being hard top they will let into wind, trim tabs can be retro fitted also solved by moving chilly bin or crew around. Really depends on how you want to use the boat.

-------------
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.

Posted By: Steps
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 10:03am
trim tabs can be retro fitted also solved by moving chilly bin or crew around.

not uncommon for a skipper to call " lets level this boat out guys"  be it simple crew standing in wrong places or a cross wind, even hitting chop at an angle....and may only mean 1 person moving sideways 1 step.
Driving a car that's going crab wise due to poor wheel/ alignment  is frustrationing and tiring.. same with a boat.

Posted By: Stonefish
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 11:34am
I’d definitely be getting dual battery and trim tabs.
Surtees will sort you out with a Lone Star drum winch to suit.

-------------
6.7m Surtees PureFisher - "Kraken"

Posted By: Schampy
Date Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 7:08am
Trim tabs can go on after.....The hull is very susceptable to crew weight, see how ya go if budget is tight. Moving fish bin sorts alot. You are better off putting the money towards hydro steering.
Seating is an interesting one.... The hull is quite narrow, and access to the cab is quite restricted with 2x pedestal seats. 
If I were to buy another I would possibly look at the passenger side to be a fold down so we can access dive gear up front better. (she rides alot better with weight up at bow)
But obviously all this depends on family situation....not ideal for kids unless back rest fitted.
Or rather going king/queen..... You would go with frame to hold up passenger seat so it allows a padded chillybin to slide under for a third seat.

Posted By: [email protected]
Date Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 11:27am
Definitely get the hydrolic seat. Great back saver.
My 5.5 has a 115 Suzuki. Amazing quiet economical motor.
Instead of a drum winch. Why not an upright one that you wrap the warp around yourself? Then you are not limited to a set amount of warp.

-------------
I miss killing things in NZ

Posted By: Muzzfishing
Date Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 10:57pm
Go for the Maximum power you can ie a 115, I have a  5.5 Workmate repowered last year now has 115 Suzuki 4 stroke quiet and economical on fuel.  Avg 2.5- 2.8km per litre on a fishing trip.  Fitted a new Capstan recently, looked at drum winches which are good but a lot dearer.  Drum winch may need a second battery.  You will need trim tabs for the hard top model. Not needed for the workmate, I just move the chilly bin around if needed.

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">     A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.

Posted By: :Hunter:
Date Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 5:59am
I've got one, done 450 hours in 2 years so had plenty of water time to suss it out.

Have the 115 Yamaha on the back, good motor, plenty of power, haven't had any issues. Have had 7 people on board and no trouble getting up planing.

Only have one battery, never had any issues there either and have done a lot of overnighting, Do carry a jump starter pack but have never used it.

Dont have trim tabs, they would be nice but not necessary, just shift a bag or two around or stand one way or the other if it's an issue.

My thoughts anyway.

Posted By: Troutzilla
Date Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 3:41pm
We have a 575 c.c. had it for two years now. Such a sweet rig!

We have a 100HP Honda and I wouldn't go any less. Great to have good pickup especially if crossing a bar which we do.

We have only used the anchor twice in two years preferring to use the Minn Kota. This is such a great addition especially if you like softbaiting in the shallows...

-------------
It aint no use if it aint chartreuse!

Posted By: MB
Date Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 3:52pm
I must admit, I am thinking about one as my first boat. Seems to be that sweet spot between not too big to launch/retrieve single-handed and a practical size for a couple of blokes fishing. 

Posted By: clank
Date Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 9:24pm
I can’t comment on that particular boat but I would say both the trim tabs and dual battery on any trailer boat 5mtr plus are a no brainer.

Yes, you can move bins and people around but really? In this day and age? The wind changes by the minute, you cross bays with different wind strengths, people get up and move around but with trim tabs you can adjust or compensate in a second. No stopping to move stuff, no asking people to move, just a small movement of the pinky finger. I believe anyone that thinks trim tabs are not top of the priority list have probably never had them before.

The dual batteries are another no brainer. Yes you can easily get away without them but who wants to find out?You will always be mindful about leaving stuff on and compensating your comfort to be careful. Life’s far to short and boating should be relaxing as possible. Two batteries and you can do what you want. Anchor up, use all the electronics you want, blast the stereo, plug all the phone chargers in, leave Chanel 16 on and not wonder if two batteries are needed or not. If you blitz the battery power, you know you can still start the engine.

I would do without rods and lures before trim tabs and dual batteries. Make life easy!!!

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 10:37pm
Does anyone have the fold down roof? Does it rattle around when underway?

Posted By: Schampy
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 6:33pm
Clank there are thousands of boats over there over 5m without trimtabs. My 575 is one of them. And yes I have had them on previous boats. Sure they are nice. But they dont come free with the hull... try about $1500 fitted, They add complexity.... something else to break or fail. They are dam dangerous in surf conditions when people are holding the boat at the stern. Also fantastic at cutting through your line when trying to retrieve a big kingy that wants a last second fight for life (they dont just pop up and lay along side the hull waiting to be gaffed) And tabs are very easy to snap off when pushing a boat off its trailer in shallow water if they are not retracted fully up.... unless you opt for auto retract which is another expense. 

Posted By: JustAnotherSpearo
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by MightyBoosh MightyBoosh wrote:

Does anyone have the fold down roof? Does it rattle around when underway?

Have you thought about a sea trial with marine north mighty? could answer all your questions and some LOL

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 8:25pm
Will do closer to the time.

Posted By: Steps
Date Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 10:05am
Tend to go along with Scampys thoughts on tabs
Had them on my 1st 17 ft, which was rather under powered. Yep worked well in strong cross winds but certainly hurt economy real bad..
With a well powered.. Or slightly over powered (weight on water to hp at prop with 15 to 20% reserve @ cruise) speeds) a little more skill than thinking direct route home in chop and cross winds being the fastest and most comfortable alternative...
Trim tabs on boats this size is more of a hassle than a requirement.
A playing hull around 1200kg total gross weight on the water well powered is astound 130/140 hp
Or in most cases these days the max manufactures recommendation.

Posted By: Muzzfishing
Date Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 10:13pm
Yeah I have the fold down roof, my boat has the old style roof supports and can vibrate at idle occasionally. Under way not a problem. Great when it rains or bad chop as you can pull it down for good protection from wind and sea. You can also get side curtains for the folding roof gives more protection I only use when its raining. The folding roof can be lowered right down so it sits inside the boat to fit in low garages. The windscreen then becomes the highest part of the boat. And will fit in most garages.

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">     A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.

Date Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 10:27pm
cheers Thumbs Up

Print Page | Close Window