Forum Name: Heavy Metal - Jig fishing
Forum Description: Anything related to jig fishing here
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=130166
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 9:14am

Topic: Micro jigging questions
Posted By: Dach39
Subject: Micro jigging questions
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 9:20pm
I have started playing around with micro jigs in Wellington harbour recently from a kayak. I haven't had much luck yet but I have been enjoying it. I have been wondering about a few things and hopefully, someone with more experience can help out.

Is there any advantage to using smaller jigs? I have a  few 14g jigs but I seem to have trouble staying in touch with anything more less than a 30g jig. I was thinking of trying with an old baitcaster combo I have to see if that would make it any easier.

does anyone have much experience with sinking braid? I find that often I end up with my line floating at the surface for a couple of seconds which is probably why I have such a hard time staying in touch with the jigs?

And finally, has anyone actually had much luck with micro jigs around Wellington compared with bait fishing? all of the success stories I can find seem to be much further north. 

Replies:
Posted By: kaveman
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 9:46pm
What combo are you using for micro jigs? try using light braid( say 10lb and 20lb max leader) if you use lighter gear you will find that the jigs do get down ok compared to using 15-20lb braid.
Spin reels are best for micro jigs too as they dont give much resistance on the drop)
Use microjigs that will reach the bottom easily to begin with(you can go lighter once you have the hang of it)
What depth you fishing? that often determines the weight you need to use and current can play an important part too
Hope this helps
Kevin

-------------
www.kavemantackle.co.nz

Posted By: OuttaHere
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 10:14pm
If it's any help, I've been fishing 14g microjigs in the harbour recently too, no issues getting down (there's virtually no current in most of the harbour) in 20m+, am fishing  15lb braid on a spin setup though.

EDIT: Luck wise, caught heaps of Kahawai but that's nothing to sing and dance about. Caught a couple of Gurnard at anchor too :)

Posted By: Garry 23041
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 7:29am
I have been off stink bait for at least 15 years at this time. Started with plastics and the last few years I have pretty much ditched plastics for micros.
To be honest I can't be arsed using any lighter than 30grm but in part that is because I use 12lb braid and a heavy 30lb fluro leader onto a jiffy clip.
That way when the fishing is hot and heavy and the fish aren't to big I can just lift them in with my hand and throw them back or in the bin without fooling around with a net...Also the heavy trace is more likely to resist light nicking etc from teeth and such.

Micros cast great don't they! The sink rate is excellent and hook up rate is also.
On the downside you will be attacked by the 2 small hooks often, they just love fingers.
I took a really nice snap out of 50m yesterday morning using a 60grm kaveman on my way out for a kingi jig.
I can fish them deep much easier than with plastics for sure..
Plastics have more surface area and flotation and are more vulnerable to currents than micros.

Posted By: Dach39
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 2:32pm
I have been using a Penn battle II with 20lb braid on a Backbone elite microjig rod. It sounds like the braid might be the issue.

I might give up on the light jigs until I am a but more experienced.

Thanks for the responses.

Posted By: Marknado4000
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 2:37pm
Stick with it, as a general rule, id use twice the depth in meters in grams, so 10-15m water id be going 30gram. 15-25m = 40g. anything deeper id move to slow pitch. I only use 20g or less when its under 10m.

Posted By: Muppet
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 8:28pm
You can fish very light jigs like my favourite 14gram Little jacks in up to 20m easy just depends on tidal currents and target species. 

You can also get small tungsten jigs that weigh a lot for the size if you want to get a true micro jig sized lure down in more current. 

Posted By: Motorhead
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 1:02pm
How far away from the boat do you cast in general? With micro jigs having such a small profile you can cast them great distances compared with soft bait.

Posted By: MB
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 1:31pm
Cast as far as possible, unless you know the fish are under the boat.

Posted By: Motorhead
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by MightyBoosh MightyBoosh wrote:

Cast as far as possible, unless you know the fish are under the boat.

Makes sense. Thanks for the reply.

Print Page | Close Window