Print Page | Close Window

How to rig live piper for kingfish

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: Hints,Tips and How To's
Forum Description: Rigs, tackle, baits, angling techniques, tips and hints & your DIY projects here
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=130070
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 11:37am

Topic: How to rig live piper for kingfish
Posted By: LBGer
Subject: How to rig live piper for kingfish
Date Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 7:34pm
Here's a how to on rigging live piper for kingfish - works off the rocks and the boat.

-------------
A king on the bricks is worth 5 in a boat.

Replies:
Posted By: laidbackdood
Date Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 10:01pm
Interesting with the poly balls.......I always used one of the plastic ball floats red/white with a hook.......a put that about a metre up past the swivel(on the mainline)......you wouldnt need the poly balls then.........when you wind in or play a king in.....the red/white ball hits the tip of your rod and slides along the line (pressed against the rod tip) whenever you wind........you then create approx a 2- 3 mtre trace and weight taken off piper..float size can be matched to size of piper..cheap floats is still being sold........Great vids scotty.

-------------
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 6:48am
Hmmm I have found it depends how much line you have out, if you have less than 20M, the float is enough to keep the line from sinking but a longer drift (on 24kg mono) means you need more flotation to stop the line from sinking in the middle section as piper get to a point where they can't pull the weight of the line off the bottom. 

-------------

Posted By: laidbackdood
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 9:54pm
Fair enough scott....i never put a live piper out on 24kg mind......just around the 15 to 2o kg mark and thin stuff too....sufix synergy.....i also didnt send out that far either.....in close around the berley...........I had more trouble catching the bloody things than deploying them !LOL

-------------
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 7:09am
The sufix stuff is really good.... I have cried a few times when I finally caught one after a couple of hours only to find it had swallowed the hook....

-------------

Print Page | Close Window