Print Page | Close Window

LOWRANCE HDS FREE UPGRADE

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: The Briny Bar
Forum Description: The place for general chat on saltwater fishing!
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=129930
Printed Date: 17 Apr 2024 at 5:41am

Topic: LOWRANCE HDS FREE UPGRADE
Posted By: Mr Moritz
Subject: LOWRANCE HDS FREE UPGRADE
Date Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 3:37pm
Anyone tried out the new "Fish Reveal" upgrade available for some Lowrance HDS fish finders? 

Replies:
Posted By: Polar_Kiwis
Date Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 8:00pm
Does it also work on Simrad?

-------------
Here fishy, fishy fishy.... Nom, nom, nom

Date Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 8:34pm
Yes I think Simrad have an upgrade for fish reveal too.

Posted By: Ecko
Date Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 8:42pm
No but I'd be interested to hear more

Posted By: Steps
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 7:58am
That is the fish and or depth size depth option?
If so yes...only a cursory look as still getting used to the new HD ti .. the numbers are pretty small thu.

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 4:20pm
Bit about it here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PclBAaKU154&t=477s" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PclBAaKU154&t=477s

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 5:07pm
Thats cool thanks..

Posted By: Alan L
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 5:34pm
I have a Gen 3. So after the posting, did a bit of googling - had not heard of it. makes me very nervous. But the issues seem to apply more to the Gen 3?
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 7:27pm
Yeah. I'm generally too busy fishing, attempting to or catchingfish to bother with fish finder. We usually go to our spots and if one is not firing try another. But I have installed it, might try it out one day... 

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 7:38pm
No issues since installing?
What model are you running?
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 7:55pm
HDS gen 3. Downloaded fish reveal via wifi. Easy as..

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 8:47pm
Hmmm. Maybe for you. You have Wifi. I don't even have a cell phone. Friends give me their smart phones to look at their pics/vids etc. Within a minute I have to give it back and they spend the next 5 mins working out why the screen has gone blank.
Have you tried it since the install? The internet is full of gloom stories after install - blank screens, super slow scroll etc.
Regards
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 8:42am
I treat it as just a normal update. Worst thing you could do would be to turn off sounder while it was updating. But there are plenty of instructions. Probably more difficult if you are not used to computers though. Maybe talk to you Lowrance agent and he should be able to update it for you.

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 11:35am
What difference do you find? Worth it.
I can prob get enough help here if I get stuck. I have done updates before. But there are a number of people that seem to have had issues after downloading. At that point I would be up a creek without a paddle.
Thanks
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 6:17pm
Well I gave it my best shot. Using 2 computers, finally got the update on to a micro SD card. Got that to load and reboot in the HDS unit. Says it is in the files. But the unit is no different - there is no Fish Reveal option.
Back to square one.
Regards
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 6:44pm
Your fishfinder should be off when you load card. Then when you switch it on it should find the update and start loading it and it will then ask you if it can switch off again. Did you get that far?

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 6:55pm
If that went OK you need to bring up your down scan page. You should be able to see MENU option touch that. You should then be able to see ADVANCED touch that. You should then be able to see FISH REVEAL option touch that and it should switch it on.

Clap 

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 6:55pm
Yes, inserted card while off. Switched on - said was loading upgrade. Said complete and started itself again. That was it, basically.
Have emailed Lowrance. If I take the card out there is no upgrade file in Files. Given you did it via wiFi I am guessing I should not have to leave the card in. But I have zero if I remove it, but in actual fact, still zero if I leave it in.
not surprised. This is 99% normal for me attempting anything like this.
Regards
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 4:45pm
Mine has loaded and appears to be work OK

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 5:06pm
Not sure about the Down scan page - I see people refer to that. Are we taking about your normal dual scan transducer?
I have a Sonar menu. Been into that. No Fish Reveal.
If I take the SD card out, there is no update in the files. It only exists in the card. Altho the unit said it was updating and installing. Bar graph along bottom of screen etc.
Still waiting on Lowrance.
Regards
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 5:51pm
Perhaps you don't have downscan on. Click your PAGE button at top, then touch STRUCTURE SCAN. This opens menu options.You should have LEFT/RIGHT option about halfway down the menu. Touch this and more options are shown. The one you want is the last DOWN. Touch this and your structure scan converts to down scan. You can then touch this and you should see a FISH REVEAL option. Touch this and you are in fish reveal in down scan. Fish reveal only works in down scan. To turn it of touch fish reveal again and it will turn off.
Wish you luck...

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 6:17pm
Right - found it - thanks.
So it only works for the 455-800 transducer option?
I only have a 50/200 transducer. I can't find it in that option - but if I do as you say, I can find it and turn it on. The only prob is I don't have that transducer.
I am presuming you have a side scan transducer?
I'm guessing it is not going to help me find fish at 350m. Oh well, filled in a day.
Thanks for the help.
Regards
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 6:49pm
Not a problem. At least you know a little more about your fish finder Smile

Yeah have skimmer HDI XDCR 50/200 &455/800KHZ

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 7:07pm
The Lowrance website doesn't seem very helpful in that regard. Searched all around it.  Could not find any general info on the upgrade, nor on u tube or other fishing forums.
Got more useful info from yourself.
thanks
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 7:50pm
Yeah I found their manual left out a lot of info you really need.

Glad I could help a little

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 7:56pm

I sorted ended up getting lost.. several resets caused screwed up 
I brought mine about 6 mths ago.. upgrade from a eile 5
installed, booted up, set basic parameters less than 300 Ft ..etc
Set to the normal scan and down scan..no map and have a look
Things where quite a bit more clear.. and the down scan was surprisingly clear.Wink
So then turned on  the side scan...
 This thread come up and after the video decided to check mine...no fish revel options..
Yet there is a addendum  paper in the box that talks about it.
cant find the setting.. re set ..still no update  reset all the stuff.. wireless  etc..
Nope not there..but my option to drop down scan into a new option window was not there....hmmm
Go thru every setting  and eventually find where you choose the downscan option...turned it on .. and presto there is fish revel..and its turned on by default..
But down scan must be chosen
And that is why I was rather impressed with the change between the elite 5 and the ti 7.

And a couple of the posts above lead me in the right direction..Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 8:17pm
Good one. Smile

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 8:32am
Good one. Smile

Hmmm ????
good out come all of the above was over 3 or 4 days, bit here bit there, very frustrating from my own messing around.
But found a few other interesting bits in pieces 

Critical thing.. make sure  it is set to down scan.. not side scan (if have it) If it ias not then the revel will not show up...
As per  post further back...

Posted By: 700 LTR
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 12:21pm
I hooked my elite 9 Ti up to the wifi at home, downloaded the latest update reset the unit and its working fine, took all of about 10mins. 

Posted By: FarmerBrowne
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 12:54pm
have upgraded my software a few months back and use downscan with fish reveal quite a bit.

I took some piccys whilst on the lake this week to detail the difference

left screen is standard sonar 83 khz with structure scan on the right side.

You will note the greater structure detail of the rock out crops on structure scan which show up as mounds on the standard sonar screen.

The fish are essentially the same pictures from the sonar overlaid on the structure scan.  You also end up with the lake surface as interpreted by the sonar overlaid on the structure scan picture.

In the top piccy you can see the smelt layer on sonar but this does not show up so well on structure scan.

One trout at the bottom of the smelt layer does show on the structure scan.

Overall I am impressed with this detail of both structure and having the fish revealed well on structure scan.

I should have had downscan on two seperate screens and seen what sort of difference there is between having fish reveal on versus standard downscan.  I will try that next time I get out.

Print Page | Close Window