Forum Name: The Work-Up
Forum Description: Game fishing related topics here
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=129650
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 12:42am

Topic: Trolling with braid
Posted By: :Hunter:
Subject: Trolling with braid
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 9:38am
Thinking of going braid straight to windon, no topshots this year. Not worried about IGFA.

Anyone got pros/cons?

Figured it works pretty well on our kingi outfits, braid may help set the hook better with no stretch, only use heavy gauge hooks.

Replies:
Posted By: terrafish
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 10:42am
Wear on the rod guides and tip from rubbing constantly in the same place if the line has any pressure on it when trolling would be my biggest worry. The topshot also acts like a shock absorber helping keep the pain off you and onto the fish. Monos cheap so why take the risk.

Posted By: MATTOO
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 11:00am
Braid formats like you want are all good.

If you have concern with braid through your tip ( which you don't need to) use a rod with at least a roller tip.

Best connection through to your mono is a hollowcore.

-------------
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!

Posted By: Tagit
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 11:11am
What are the perceived advantages of going all braid?I always think that the stretch in the topshot or just plain mono works in your favour as it will provide a lot more 'spring' distance than a rod tip when the fish starts jumping. Plus the 'spring' is effectively closer to the fish rather than at a rod tip trying to pull through a lot of line that is being slowed down by water pressure..

Posted By: ET487
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 1:29pm
Agree with Mattoo. We being trolling for years now with our spin jigging and popping rods. Braid to 2-5 meters of 130lb nylon and never had a problem. Got a few marlins on that setups too. Not fishing comps.

Posted By: Xtoad
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 3:16pm
I’ve been using braid to a short shock leader for several seasons now.
After thirty something fish I haven’t had any of the perceived disadvantages make themselves apparent.
I know that most are myths and suspect the rest are as well. Maybe I’ll have to get to a hundred fish to disprove them all.
There are three issues I have had. Once I had a tip wrap and couldn’t undo it before the line broke - I didn’t have a glove on and wasn’t keen to grab the line.
Second is I lost a fish once when a frayed line broke - it frayed because it was piled up in a mound and peeled off sideways across itself when the fish ran. Line broke an hour later after fish was technically caught.
The other is that when you get line twist it is very obvious in the braid. I suspect this is a benefit. It tells me my swivels aren’t working or that my rigging is a bit off.
The big one people always mention is the stretch in mono. If it’s my friend then it can’t be a very good one because I certainly haven’t missed it since it’s been gone.
Couple of provisos - I actively keep a belly in my line when I am following fish and I tend to use light drags and light hooks.
I’ve winched them up dead from the bottom and gone to sunset on fish in close just for giggles and have never lost a crew member overboard or heard them complain about head shaking.
Your overall system has a lot to do with success, hooks that penetrate, drags that work, rods made for the job and a crew that knows what they are doing.

Posted By: Sambosi
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 6:24pm
What setups you using Stu?

Posted By: Xtoad
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 8:26am
Custom rods on Xantu and CTS blanks. Size 20 reels (and 1 size 10).
Winthrop rollers on a couple but make them with all sic guides and top now for braid.
PR to leader on most

Posted By: OuttaHere
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 11:25am
Originally posted by Tagit Tagit wrote:

What are the perceived advantages of going all braid?

Capacity really... means you can go fish for Stripeys with something like a Talica 25, or just about any fish in the sea with a Talica 50, weighing a solid kilogram less than their respective "goldy" equivalents. In terms of small-boat stand-up ergonomics this is a considerable advantage.

Posted By: Bigfishbob
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 9:58pm
It's fine and there's nothing non-IGFA about using straight Braid. The only issue is getting braid to consistently test below the line class designation.

WRT Using Straight braid. The lack of stretch MAY result in lost fish due to pulled hooks or broken lines with a fish that head shakes alot, or if you are straight up and down on it in a heaving sea. Any other conditions Lack of stretch in braid can't hurt you or the fish, possibly sudden changes in direction but with a belly in the line, the water provides a level of shock absorption. If you have issues then just go to a softer rod. Doesn't mean go a line class down in rods, it just means get a softer more parabolic version of your line class 15, 24 37kg or whatever line class you are using.

When talking to people who have caught a lot of marlin on light gauge hooks they'll say that LG are more susceptible to breakage on shock loads like heavy strike drags. Once the fish is hooked you can pull as hard as you like. Same applies to using braid because the shock is exacerbated using braid. back off on strike and you're all good.

-------------
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz

Posted By: Fishb8
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 11:08pm
Nearly 20 years ago was out hunting albies using light line and Daiwa VIP rods - identical rods, lures but one rod had skinny braid and the other had mono.
The catch rate was over 10:1 to the braid. There had to be a reason and even after swapping - the same catch rate.
I figured that the difference was the action on the lure caused by the boat movement made the lure more attractive to the albies.
I read a report of someone fishing in Tonga and they trolled 4 rods, one of which was braid - report writer said just his luck, the marlin took the braid outfit's lure.  Not a suprise to me!

We started running 2 straight braid outfits for marlin trolling. Now not every marlin has checked out all the 5 lures but we have had more than half our marlin (well over 30) on the braid.
Light drag and Pakula Dojo hooks. The hook up rate for the braid has been very high - well into the 90%.
Few issues during the fight. Always back of drag during tagging.
Once as a test to see what would happen, after first run, went to low gear (wind backwards on Duel reel) and just wound it in - no pumping, just winding.

-------------
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken

Print Page | Close Window