Forum Name: The Work-Up
Forum Description: Game fishing related topics here
URL: http://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=129277
Printed Date: 20 Feb 2019 at 8:24pm

Topic: Gamefishing Updates - Coromandel to BOP - 18/19
Posted By: Sezza
Subject: Gamefishing Updates - Coromandel to BOP - 18/19
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 1:08pm
Game-fishing reports, updates, and pics here. Good luck for the  season.

Replies:
Posted By: coolsilver
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 2:10pm
Anyone seen or heard of any Tuna out behind Audies or Mayor

Posted By: Grumpy smurf
Date Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 10:30pm
I have the first week off in feb, heading to whangamata really hoping to get into chasing the albies Big smile 
will keep a eye on this thread for updates

Posted By: Mako Mike
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2018 at 8:54am
Stripey caught behind Mayor this week apparently. Haven't been able to find any real confirmation yet tho...

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2018 at 5:25pm
Went out Thursday. Only found 1 alby north of mayor water was 19 and pretty nice colour

Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 3:20pm
Mercury Bay area Stripey being weighed at 5pm I believe. Kilvay.Clap

Edit: 350m Middle Ground, possibly still playing...

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 5:07pm
101.69KG ClapClap

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 6:33pm
Lots of skippies around 50m today water a bit green. Heading wide tomorrow bit of action out there

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 3:48pm
No skippies to be found today. Went out to 500m nice water but empty. Sounds like a few been seen free jumping behind auldies and tailing behind mayor. No confirmed reports

Posted By: Grunta
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 4:44pm
Mercury Bay Update:  Stripey tagged today @ 140m in (middle ground I think) and a decent tuna caught by a boat at 850m off the Footprint - called for a YFT. Same boat also hooked and lost a stripey on way back in.

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 10:04pm
Big Eye

Posted By: Marligator
Date Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 11:40pm

Forecast for Saturday was looking good, so hatched a plan to head out to the outer Mayor Knolls for a bluenose fish Saturday morning for a few hours and then troll our way back in. Got out to the chosen Knoll by about 8:30 after stopping near the Penguins for a troll to pick up a skippy for fresh bluenose bait (you can't go past fresh bait for bluenose - infinitely better than any frozen bait) this took about 20 minutes. 

First drop I got a bluenose about 6 kg and karin hooked one as well but her line got bitten off about 50m off the bottom, after re-rigging her line we did another drop she hooked up and I had a few bites and then my line went slack and I had been cut off, loosing about 50m of braid. 

Karin got another bluenose about 6kg. I re-rigged again and we had another drop and we both got bitten off on the drop about 300m down. No idea what it was that was biting the main line but whatever it was had very sharp teeth as the ends of the braid were cleanly cut, with no fraying.

We decided this was a bad idea and called it quits on the bluenose and set the lures at 10:40am and started trolling back towards Mayor. Had a knock down about 20 minutes later, nothing popped up after about 15 seconds so put the lure back in the rigger and started turning back around to go over the spot again and a little dorsal fin about 6 inches high popped up behind the lure which I called initially as a spearfish, until the bill appeared and more dorsal, it was a little stripey which then nailed the lure (good old faithful Hooker Ghost). 

Fish jumped all over the place and it took Karin about 40 minutes to get to the boat, it came in backwards but was still alive but very tired, took about 10 minutes towing it before it revived sufficiently to be released estimated at 80 kg and was Karin's first tagged marlin so she was wrapped with that.

Posted By: Fishb8
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 8:03am
Excellent report and catch - well done!
Always puzzles me that braid will get bitten off a long way from the hook.
Snapper fishing out of Kawhia, recently on the Dove, I lost my double-hook ledger rig and sinker on the drop. About 30 minutes later another anger snagged my lost rig with 30 M of braid, off the bottom - go figure??

-------------
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 11:08am
Thanks Roy, with respect to the braid being chopped, we were not the only ones who have had that problem in the last couple of weeks, my mate lost several rigs last weekend out on the Mayor Knolls and my brother had the same thing happen up on the Garden Patch a couple of weeks ago. Also another mate who does a hell of a lot of bluenose fishing says they have it happen regularly and have no idea what is doing it.

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Tagit
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 11:13am
That's how Makos floss their teeth after eating your BluenoseCry

-------------
www.dreamboats.com        Bareboat Charters - Fishing Charters - Corporate and Party Cruises

Posted By: anarchy
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 12:10pm
nice work Vance , 
we have had that before when the frost school up out deep
had a problem with them a few years back at one knoll out there every drop would get cut off, managed to foul hook a couple and they were frosties 

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 1:26pm
Thanks Mike you could be onto it. I have often seen groups of little frostfish way out deep dead on the surface, mostly only about 2 feet long, often would see 10 or so scattered over an acre or so.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 7:19pm
Great update - thanks Vance and top work to bag one. 

Posted By: jakepitsville
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 7:31pm
Easy guys. If your using coloured braid especially the yellow gets hit by gem fish.

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 11:51pm
Jake I used yellow braid for years and never got cut off like this. However you are correct as the braid used in the weekend is Daiwa Saltiga braid which has 6 different colours Red, Blue Green Yellow, Orange and Purple (not in that order) but also has 1m markers as well of various colours including yellow. I just checked both reels which had the braid cut on Saturday and the cut on both of them was 1 m up from the blue/purple colour change and the 1m marker where the braid was cut was yellow and only half of the marker is left.

-------------

Posted By: MATTOO
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 6:42am
Ok,
Pricked my interest here.
What is the reasoning behind gem fish hitting yellow or coloured braid?
Does clear mono remain untouched!

-------------
Just cruising in a pimped old Surtees! Or my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!

Date Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 6:57am
I presume yellow shows up more at this depth (300m is approx. depth we were being cut off at, actual depth fishing was about 360-380m) and the little 1m yellow markers (about 100mm long) would appear as little skinny baitfish.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 7:22am
Our cut-offs were in 55 metres over sand with a few sharks and coutas??

-------------

Posted By: kaveman
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 7:30am
Lots of frostfish here in Whangamata over the last month Vance, we caught 3 in a row at 50m just before Xmas

-------------
www.kavemantackle.co.nz

Posted By: jakepitsville
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 8:51am
We postulated it was the yellow but maybe just the colour change but definitely something about it.
Some friends and I moved away from colored braid to moss green and have found very few of the mysterious cut off happening. In fact non that I can recall.

We have had troubles before with couta hitting spider Hitch knots while jigging. Those toothy guys bite at anything.

Posted By: KikBac
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 2:35pm
Just got spooled by very nice stripy 400m wide of Mayor. Put on nice aerial display

Posted By: Tagit
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 4:37pm
Not many Stripies will spool you unless you are on light line so must have been a real goody. Sure it wasn't a Blue? Always exciting to get those super wild fish. Go get another one!

-------------
www.dreamboats.com        Bareboat Charters - Fishing Charters - Corporate and Party Cruises

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 5:00pm
Yeah Dave I have my suspicions it may have been a blue. It got very aerial and put on a display which I'm not sure blues do. Saying that we have never had a blue on the boat before. Partly my fault as reel was 50W spooled with 80lb dacron. Knives and gunfights

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 6:48pm
Bad Luck Kikbac, when it was jumping was it pushing a hell of a lot of water i.e was there a hell of a lot of whitewater. A blue the same size as a stripey will always make a lot more white water than the stripey. Also a 50W spooled with 80 lb mono or dacron is a recipe for disaster for blues and even big stripeys as you can only get about 550m of 80lb on the reel and if you run a windon then your capacity decreases even further.

-------------

Posted By: mangre 2
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 10:57pm
Know of a boat that almost got spooled on 60kg yesterday, lost the fish  BLUE

-------------
Beautiful is better than ugly, Explicit is better than implicit, Simple is better than complex, Complex is better than complicated.      http://oceanmobilemap.blogspot.co.nz/

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 6:51am
I heard on the radio yesterday that a boat got a Stripey outside the Penguins, didn't hear what depth though.

-------------

Posted By: salty69
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 8:55pm
Spent a day out of Whangamata today. Lures in the water at 100m. Towed from inside Mayor to the Aldies and back.
Saw a free jumper in 129 just south of Aldies and another fish thrashing about on the surface.
Most of the action was in 200m north of Mayor. Heaps of bait, skippies, albert's and ran over a Marlin feeding on the surface.
Sounder showed water temp ranging from 23.4 near the Aldies to 24.6 on the 200m line just north of Mayor- not sure I've seen it that warm previously.

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 7:12pm
Eventful day for us. Hooked a stripy in 155m behind the Aldies. Gave a couple of leaps, peeled 300m and fell off. We came back over the same area and immediately hooked a sizeable mako, estimated 100kg. Had it to the boat in 20 min, tagged it and in the process of releasing it broke the leader and took my Bonze Argonaut with it. Worked the same area and promptly hooked another stripy. This one straightened the hook (Pakula dojo fine gauge) as soon as the drag was dialed up. That's fishing I guess

Posted By: MATTOO
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 7:29pm
Wow,
What an eventful day.
You must be pleased raising that many fish.

Sad about the lure though, rough tax format.

Much else going on in that area.

-------------
Just cruising in a pimped old Surtees! Or my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 7:49am
I bent A Dojo Light Gauge tracing a Very Big Mako but the amount of drag (my pulling power) was well in excess of the 37 kg line on a reel's drag. I'm surprised it bent during a fight.
I still like those hooks.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window