Forum Name: The Work-Up
Forum Description: Game fishing related topics here
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=129276
Printed Date: 27 Jun 2019 at 2:12pm

Topic: Gamefishing Updates - Whangaroa - 18/19
Posted By: Sezza
Subject: Gamefishing Updates - Whangaroa - 18/19
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 12:55pm
Game-fishing reports, updates, and pics here. Good luck for the  season.

Replies:
Posted By: drpc
Date Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 11:17am
Ohh this Nor easter has to be bringing something good with it

-------------
Please support Leagasea
http://www.legasea.co.nz/

Posted By: Jayr
Date Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 12:18pm
Patience grasshopper. :) sharpen ya hooks.

Posted By: Hodder
Date Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 1:19pm
Hooooold Hooooooold!

Posted By: swordfishsteve
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 8:28am
Hey guys, any of you roosters going out for a look this weekend? I will be out off Doubtless BAY working 500m to 1000m weather permitting, just testing new sounder etc, will let you know what I see, 
good luck to everyone this season, cheers swordfishsteveWink

-------------
REEL REPAIR GUY - Swordfishsteve, That Is Who I Am and That is What I Do : See More At :www.reelrepairguy.co.nz

Posted By: MATTOO
Date Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 7:34pm
And your results Steve.
What craft did you get out on.

-------------
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!

Posted By: shaneg
Date Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 8:05pm
What a guy Steve is, didn't know or click why his car looked so packed on Friday morning with rods and reels and bedding. Didn't realise was probably about to try to head off.
He fixed a problem on my tiagra handle while we talked about stuff. Incredible service ... hope didn't hold him up from going up north.
All the best, hope you did well.

Posted By: wopass
Date Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 10:09pm
is anyone else itching to hear from Steve about his adventure??...

C'mon mate.... we are all waiting...

Tongue

Date Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 6:54am
Ok just getting sorted, so I spent the day out wide on Saturday, working 500m to 1000m line just east of the 505 Garden Patch, lovely blueish water, caught 2 skippies and nothing else , except sunburn. Best temp was 19deg, Not much life in the way of birds, a few dolphins etc, not much shallow bait sign, which is what I really like to see, so all in all, just a very pleasant day out on the ocean, testing a few new hook rigs and set ups , love my new Garmin 7410 , that thing is amazing.
Did hear on VHF on Friday a comm boat hooked 3 Yellowfin , landed one out wide east of North Cape, well that where he said he was??
cheers swordfishsteve

-------------
REEL REPAIR GUY - Swordfishsteve, That Is Who I Am and That is What I Do : See More At :www.reelrepairguy.co.nz

Posted By: BlackBill
Date Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 7:35am
Cool, good intel cheers Steve.

-------------
http://www.blackbillsportfishing.co.nz/" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: jakepitsville
Date Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 10:25am
Cheers Steve, hopefully some fish turn up soon!

Posted By: Wind Up
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 8:30am
Was out at the Wekarua drop offs on Saturday. Bluish water of 17.8 degrees. Couple of big skippies going out but quiet on the pelagic front generally though bottom fishing ok.

Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 2:17pm
Stripey coming in to weigh about 5pm, vessel is, Kuri IIClap

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 7:38pm
Ann Candy has weighed in a striped marlin of 99kg from Kuri II. She has won the DTF Lures Marlin Jackpot. She used a Ghost lure at the Garden Patch and the fish struck three times before it stuck! Brian and Ann report 22 degrees water out there, but no skippies, but they did see a huge manta ray. There will be a presentation for them at the clubrooms at 7pm on Friday evening

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Date Posted: 20 Dec 2018 at 11:48am
Thats a nice start hey Al

Date Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 5:11pm
Any qualified info good or bad from this area.
I'm spending a few days solo here and would appreciate some insights.
Pm will be fine.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 9:05am

I am going out wide tomorow from Doubtless Bay , anyone else ?? planning on heading to same area where Kuri 11 got their stripey, however my target is solo Blue Dog or better still Yellowfin for the BBQ
SST looks good out side, Viking are you out tomorrow?
good luck fellas SwordfishsteveSmile

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 5:12pm
Half a day.
Not much seen, not much heard.
Lovely sea if boating is your pleasure.
Sea temps in 20s .
Not much to report.

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 7:12am
Kotare Report
Ok I had a cracker day , hooked and played a nice stripey for half an hour then pulled the hook 50m from boat = Bugga . Area was 360m off Knuckle Point, water there was 19.5 deg, ran over bait school as I was plating fish, then trolled out to 800m off the 505, then into 500m line south off Bergans, water was best there 21.8 deg blue, but no life in it, coming into Bergans late arvo come across lots of scattered bait and gannets in 120m so that area looked good , worth a look I think.
Very nice and calm all day, there was a 108kg stripey weighed at Mill Bay yesterday, so certainly a few fish around however scattered across very large areas, good luck to all and Happy New Year!
cheers swordfishsteve
FYI My marlin was on BM super stripey 3 Super Lumo lure.
Smile

-------------

Posted By: yknot
Date Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 6:16pm
Thanks for update steve

-------------
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 6:28pm
Big day Steve good effort!Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 6:44pm
From Whangaroa Game Club;

Seven stripies this weekend, but mostly on the small size, ranging in the 60s, 70s and 80s kilo range, with 3 stripies caught by Wharangi, 2 fish at 101.8kg and a T&R. All caught on lures, and at: Sea Mount, Berghan's, Doubtless Bay, west of Cavallis, and one in the Bay of Islands. Also had a good albacore of 9.08kg for Stephen Burgess on The Pearl from Big Fish, at the Garden Patch, and a yellowfin of 53.2kg at the 505 for Richard Hart on JD.

-------------

Posted By: Tagit
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 6:46pm
Scary to see those small Stripies turning up more often. Not usually a good sign for the fishery.

Posted By: hogdog
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 5:32pm
Got my first solo on Thursday 200m east of cavs

Posted By: Elcondor
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 6:04pm
Legend! Thats a good effort! Was it on spin gear?

Posted By: hogdog
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 9:56pm
Got it on an old triton with a snapper gaff and some dirty old leather gloves 😀

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 11:11am
Congrats Glen well doneClapClap

And here is Jakepitsville first of the season.

Well done JakeClapClap

-------------

Posted By: Fishb8
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 12:14pm
Well done Jake👍

-------------
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 5:23pm
We'll done even hog dog.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 9:55am
few fish around. wish this big swell and strong forcast easerlies would go away

Posted By: Polar_Kiwis
Date Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 2:41pm
How’s forecast and swell next few days?

-------------
Here fishy, fishy fishy.... Nom, nom, nom

Posted By: White snake
Date Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 4:23pm
Very keen to hear.heading up friday

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 10:53pm
saw some good numbers of stripies today, couldnt buy a bite as they were honed in on small meatballs. very exciting to see marlin swim under boat and free jumpers, manta rays dolphins etc.  few boat livebaiting 120

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 12:08am
Hi Jake.we managed to tag a stripy today off berghans.smashed short corner behind the dredge.what area were you fishing

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 6:30am
we launched out of mangonui and fished bergans to stevies.  found fish just couldnt get them to bite.

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 7:46am
Did you try a livie?
I'll be up in Whangaroa at the beginning of march for 8 days

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 8:24am
Hey guys , was a good bite yesterday off Cone rock in 95mtrs, I tagged one around 110kg, number 18 solo for me, on live skippy, was lots other caught same area,  excuse poor picture quality as it was pissing down at time & a bit sloppy , anyway you get the picture. Also plenty of hungry sharks there too. cheers swordfishsteve

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 10:05am
Brilliant Steve.
I heard life up there had been building well.
18 eh.
You could do it with your eyes closed now.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 1:00pm
Mattoo , you would think so but I still had a classic Fkup , feeding out second livebait, went straight under boat and tangled around prop on outboard which stalled with leader jammed around prop hub, nek minute long livey gets eaten , marlin jumping around and I have to reach out and cut off leader jammed around prop, pissing with rain, sloppy as, you get the picture!
Anyway got my **** together, sorted out mess and was able to fight and release marlin , sweat as job done, then went home.

Looking forward to #19

cheers swordfishsteveSmile

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 4:51pm
Crikey Steve,
That was doing it the hard way, pesky untrained livebaits huh.
Some fish need to pay more attention at school.

Even better result then.

Any yft or Mahi around.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 6:42pm
Mattoo,

As an ocean sst user can you see why the marlin have stacked up of cone rock from the data you have?

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 6:53pm
Yes I can see with my own eyes  and experience from many previous years in same area, look for the signs, feel the ocean, birds have way better vision than my old eyes, smell the Marlin, all lead to same result. Too many retards don't know how to read the signs, rely on Facebook or messenger or keyboard warriors  which is way off track, ask any of my clients & friends what is going on by fisherman who actually catch fish, not just write about it.
Rant over, good luck to all, cheers swordfishsteveSmile

-------------

Posted By: terrafish
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 7:27pm
Oh My God. Those are the most eloquently spoken words I have heard for a long time! GO 19 20 21 22 23...……….

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 7:34pm
Yeah not really what I was Asking Steve that’s ok though.....
My question is ... is he finding it a valuable tool....?
Those fish have been off cone for a while in various numbers.
I imangine quite a few boats out there.....

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 8:50pm
Hodder,

I have no real time experience and as Steve points out being there is more info.

But as you asked.
I will have a look.
But my opinion or view on what I see maybe as valuable as thin air.

So where is cone rock.....

-------------

Posted By: krow
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 9:17pm
I don't know either but Cone Island is Northern end of Stevies so assume that is also called cone rock by the locals. 

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 9:24pm
Thanks Krow,
Also cone rocks off whangaruru if memory serves me.

However As Steve likes to hunt that northern area ill look at that zone.

More than likely though there was a party held by the locals and open to all visitors.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 11:56pm
Just got back from whangaroa.Been up there since Saturday. Had a great time.tagged a stripy and weighed my first yellow fin.also dropped a horse of a fish after 1.5 hours.All set for a day off newplymouth tomorrow.

Posted By: the demon
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 6:16am
Cone rock about 3 nauticalmiles up the coast from Taupo Bay and about 1 nauatical up from that is Wekarua Island . Well done steve , looks like some fin about to .

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 11:54am
Did a day live baiting the other day. Loads of boats and quite sloppy. While some launches did well all we.managed was a mako.

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 11:56am
Originally posted by White snake White snake wrote:

Just got back from whangaroa.Been up there since Saturday. Had a great time.tagged a stripy and weighed my first yellow fin.also dropped a horse of a fish after 1.5 hours.All set for a day off newplymouth tomorrow.

Congrats. Were you on lures? We did a couple of days now for no bites just seeing others. How deep were your bites

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 3:02pm
Hi Jake.Both marlin were hooked off berghans in 127m and the yellow fin in 90m north end of stevie's.All on lures.seems alot of guys live baiting up there though.something I've yet to try

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2019 at 5:54pm
We gave the live bait ago. No luck for us

Posted By: sarahmaree
Date Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 9:26pm
Hey guys hows the fishing been going over the weekend? Looking at heading up for the week from the waikato

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 7:09am
There have been fish around. Others have done well. Read above posts.

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 12:16pm
Green gold Merlin strikes again. 130kg est in 130m off Karikari. Pretty quiet overall though. Even had to do some Snapper fishing

Posted By: reel crayze
Date Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 3:29pm
6am tomorrow morning and 22 hours of towing plus a stop and ferry ride should see me at Whangaroa.

Hopes, better weather than last year.

Ambition, catch one solo.

Wish me luck please fellas.

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 3:37pm
Based on what we saw the past few days I would stay in the 90m - 130m depths from Stevies through to Karikari as a starting point. Seem to be plenty of skippies around once you find the right depths. Not a lot of bait around though so if you find good bait it is worth working around it for a while.apparently there were marlin rounding up bait in 90m on the North Ground yesterday morning.

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 4:40pm
Best of luck reel crayze.

Big drive, bigger mission.

-------------

Posted By: Espresso
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 8:19pm
Weather looks pretty good for it up there too, best of luck to ya'll.

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 8:33pm
We had 5 days of zilch.Lots of skippies so live baited as well as trolled.
Late morning we has our first strike on our Marlinstar Tomahawk - the same lure that's had all the action for last 3 years.
Unfortunately, after 35 minutes and 30 metres from boat, the hook pulled.
When we checked the lure/hook, I saw the point was slightly bent over so it wasn't a deeply penetrated hook-up...bugga

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 8:43pm
Unlucky Roy but fishing has been hard for most. 

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 1:38pm
Not much to report after a "flying" trip to Whangaroa.

I left home 6am sunday and arrive in Whangaroa 6pm monday totally knackered. Had the tuesday on shore trying to recover thinking i am getting to old for this Embarrassed

Had a couple of days on the water fishing Stevies to Taheke area for zip. Day 3 i see a boat gridding an area and thought i might hang on the outside of them, then there is a couple of gannets diving near them.. next minute they are hooked up and had a successful catch and tag release. i continue working the area, they leave and i see a couple of gannets a km away, so i head over there and see a marlin working a very fast moving bait ball. Its the first time i have ever seen this and the excitement level is up near the clouds.  I work the area pulling alongside the bait one time hoping the bait will come under my boat but it doesnt. I get no bites and either the bait ball gets eaten or it goes elsewhere ... i dont know. I do however have you guys yelling at me "dont leave fish to find fish" so i keep working the area for quite a while for no result. 
Couple of days trolling wider and further south and still nothing to show for it.
It is monday and the weather has started to blow a bit . I boat pass the boat ramp and the ramp carpark is very vacant. I head out on the leeward side of Stevies and think it maybe a tad rough out there and it is. However i get to the 88m mark and i see a free jumper a 100 metres away. I again work the area and a couple of times see the marlin swimming near the boat.. i am trying very hard just trying to will the fish to bite my lures but ****ting myself if it does bite the lure how do i get on then ? In a big boat it would of been rough in a 6m boat it is very rough !!! All the while i have Peter Pakulas "hook it and then worry about it" banging away in my head ! I dont have to worry about trying to land it as it doesnt bite my lures.
The forecast i have been given is for more rough weather all the way to friday, i have to leave sunday. I pull the boat out monday evening. I start the long trek home 7am tues morning to avoid the Auckland traffic which i do, phew, arriving home noon wed. The first thing i did when i got home was check swellmap.. it was a 1 or 2, i think for once i may of got it right !

It was always going to be a short trip but once again i was beaten by the weather and once again i got zipped. 

So my solo marlin ambition has yet to be achieved, full credit to those guys that achieve that. I find it going out day after day esp in rough weather getting bashed around mentally and physically taxing. Maybe it is the age thing again LOL . Northland I will be back.

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 8:30pm
Bloody nice write-up. Sad you didn't get one but console yourself with this fact. you saw more action than most have lately. That sort of commitment you deserve one and when it comes it will be all the more sweater. 

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 8:26am
We fished that area for a week, 2 weeks ago and saw bugga all but did have a marlin on for 30 minutes off Cavallis

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 9:33am
We did a few days in that area also and saw only 2 fish. One got bill wrapped and jumped off. Other was a nice 130kgish fish we released. Hardest fishing I can remember.

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 6:31pm
Ok heads up guys got my #19 solo marlin today. Just happened to be nice Blue Marlin est 200kg tagged & released   in 180m off wekarau. Yeah boy Cheers Swordfish steve

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 7:30pm
Niccccccccce Steve. Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 7:34pm
I heard our Jakespitsville was hooked up and fighting also!

-------------

Posted By: Legacy
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by swordfishsteve swordfishsteve wrote:

Ok heads up guys got my #19 solo marlin today. Just happened to be nice Blue Marlin est 200kg tagged & released   in 180m off wekarau. Yeah boy Cheers Swordfish steve

Good size fish especially solo! Awesome

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 9:29pm
👍Nice one swordfishsteve👍

-------------

Posted By: shaneg
Date Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 2:10pm
Well done that is a lot of fish solo, especially with some big fish like 200 kg blue, awesome!

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 5:06pm
That's another level.well done steve👍

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 5:40pm
Congratulations Steve, 19 solo is a great effort.

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 7:21am
That will of been a great fish to deal with Steve.
Very satisfying I'm sure.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 4:32pm
Heads up guys, just returned from 6 days to 3 Kings from Whangaroa, had 11 strikes, hooked 8 fish, boated or tagged 7. Including 4 striped marlin tagged, 1 Blue Marlin Tagged, 1 Broadbill Boated 238 kg, 1 Big Mako released, all on lures. Best area was yesterday in 1000m east side of the 505 then south to 500m off Wekarua, we tagged 2 from 4 strikes. Beaut 21.2 Blue water there, lots of life, very fishy area. Swordfight was something very special for angler, 3.5 hrs on 25kg of drag in chair, 12.45am to 4.15am , awesome fish, very happy angler. Blue Marlin was in 145m off Surville Cliffs, 2 more striped Marlin tagged right on top of Magnet King Bank. So fantastic trip for me a skipper, made my season memorable to say the least, go get them boys! Good luck over Easter cheers swordfishsteve

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 5:16pm
Sounds like good fun
Got my very first stripy on a lumo sprocket at Compass Rose

-------------

Print Page | Close Window