Print Page | Close Window

Wire up Electric Reel to House Battery ?

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: Hints,Tips and How To's
Forum Description: Rigs, tackle, baits, angling techniques, tips and hints & your DIY projects here
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=129133
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 10:59pm

Topic: Wire up Electric Reel to House Battery ?
Posted By: Nav
Subject: Wire up Electric Reel to House Battery ?
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 8:38am
Hi all, this is my first posting......hope someone can help...
Have just bought my wife a Diawa Tanacom 1000 as a very early Christmas present and want to wire it up to the House Battery.....can this be done and if so how do I do it ?
All your advice will be greatly appreciated

Replies:
Posted By: Tagit
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 10:26am
Buy the correct plug so you can plug in the reel power lead. Wire the plug via a fuse (size is probably in the owners manual I would guess) to the house battery distribution panel/buzz bar if there is one handy, or to the instrument side of the house battery switch if that is easier for cockpit access. You can either mount the plug into the side of the cockpit somewhere reasonably protected or have it on a longish cord so you can move around further.
The other option that may be easier is to buy a small ~20A/H battery and put it in a simple carry case. One battery will last for several days of normal use.

Posted By: waynorth
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 12:03pm
Most people recommend using a separate battery, to avoid issues with power fluctuations, and draining the house battery. That said, I always run mine straight off the house battery using the supplied alligator clips, without any issues. It does mean there is no fuse in the system however. They normally draw about 10A working but can draw up to 30A on stall, so any wiring/fuse/plug  needs to be able to handle such loads. 

The wires in the power cable where it enters the reel are prone to failure due to overbending so avoid stressing this area, and treat your wife to a spare cable. They aren't cheap ($100+) but nor is having to abandon a trip out wide.    

I've known a couple to fail due to water getting in to the motor, so protect the reel from spray when you are driving the boat, and be wary when washing it - a wipe down is probably better than a rinse with the hose.

If you are out wide looking for puka/bluenose during summer, you may well be in gamefishing country, so you should probably buy your wife a couple of game sets as well Wink  

-------------
treat fish like fish

Posted By: ameliaharry654
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 11:56pm
Buy correct plug, I think there is no issue with device except plug. 

Print Page | Close Window