Print Page | Close Window

The Sustainable Fisherman...

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: The Briny Bar
Forum Description: The place for general chat on saltwater fishing!
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=129103
Printed Date: 30 Mar 2024 at 4:27am

Topic: The Sustainable Fisherman...
Posted By: RiceOwl
Subject: The Sustainable Fisherman...
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 9:22pm
Hi All,

Ive been thinking about posting this for awhile as it is something that bothers me nearly every time I enjoy a days fishing. The question is - How can I enjoy my favorite past time without negatively impacting the environment around me?

This is a tough one for me, as in my heart and in my daily life I do all that I can to lessen the impact on our environment. I try to sustainably commute, I recycle all that I can, we choose environmentally products etc. etc. BUT when I go fishing I can't help but think of the negative impact I have on my environment just to enjoy the opportunity. I burn copious amounts of gas, utilize a ton of non-environmentally friendly products, use plastic bags when cleaning fish frames, snip hundreds of metres of mono and braid, lose gear on the bottom, buy a mountain of bait and burley etc.

The conversation I want to start is how can we enjoy our favourite past time while lessening the environmental impact? What do you do? Any tips we can share with each other? Does this bother you?

Replies:
Posted By: Snappa Geoff
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 5:42am
Hi Riceowl, i would say 99% of us fisho's would bring home rubbish from a day out- bait bags, tangled line, food wrap, bottles etc. Where i live in Mokau there is a big council rubbish bin at the boat ramp that gets well used. first thing we do is unload our rubbish once boat is out of water. Do the City ramps in Auck etc have bins? They are a good idea as you don't have to cart your stinky rubbish home, encouraging you to gather it all up on boat while fishing. Burning heaps of gas is part of fishing, you either do or you don't go at all. But there is Kayak Fishing! Did see an article not so long ago on an NZ design electric outboard. Maybe as technology improves they might be on market one day....

Posted By: MacSkipper
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 7:10am
Get a smaller boat uses less fuel, or take a few bods out if in a bigger boat or go on charters and sell boat or get a kayak if it concerns you or fish from wharf or beach? 
If rubbish gets dropped in water or flies out of boat I turn around and pick it up - I would hope others do the same.

Everything has a price - but being careful with rubbish and common sense is the least you can do and to put in perspective I fly once or twice a month with work - that creates a lot more greenhouse gas!

-------------
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.

Posted By: Steps
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 7:49am
BUT when I go fishing I can't help but think of the negative impact I have on my environment just to enjoy the opportunity.
 I burn copious amounts of gas,
Have a well powered boat propped well to limit fuel and oil consumption

utilize a ton of non-environmentally friendly products, use plastic bags
Use freezer packs rather than packed ice, cut your own bait burley (recycle bait fish (mullet/ trev heads frames) and pack into recyclable plastic milk containers.

when cleaning fish frames,
Gut at sea.. frames heads go to local neighbourhood families.. skins compostable
 snip hundreds of metres of mono and braid, lose gear on the bottom,
Improve your fishing skills.. dramatically.. on ave we may loose 1 or 2 m of trace fluro on a bad day.. hooks rust away..
 As to loosing mainline.. happens but 99% of the time that can be recovered.
 buy a mountain of bait and burley etc.
Problem here? you can catch your own, or buy.. at the end of the day the same amount comes out of the sea and is returned.

All rubbish is taken home..be it fishing , picnic camping whatever..

Does this bother you?
 Well now you actually mention it.. but looking at our practices,  from well powered well propped, to cut baits burly etc.. its not because of any greenie thing.. its just commonsense economically and convenient to do so.
 Just as composting at home , for the veggie garden is... and copposing our own trees to recycle for heating... and this in the middle of the city.

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 8:19am
Thanks Steps, they were great points and that was what I am trying to get to here. What are the small things we can all do to have the least impact on our environment. They are all great tips and for some just common sense, but wanted to begin the conversation as food for thought for others.

I get that burning gas is just part and parcel of it (esp when game fishing) but was food for thoughts.

Absolutely all rubbish is taken home, just wondering if there ways to lessen what goes to landfill, and your points above about improving skillset are good points that maybe many havent considered.

Sharing of fish heads and frames is a great way to have less go to waste and also connect with the community. I also saw on tv OBC had a partnership with Papatuanuku marae where they were sharing fish frames and heads which were well utilized, and was just a great example of how we can work together to lessen our footprint and impact.

All good tips team! Keep em coming.

Surely it can only be a matter of time before electric outboards too! Might be hard to have floating charge points though :)

Posted By: Reel Deal
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 8:26am
Great to confirm there are inlightened people out there that also think about what damage we do.- think being the key word here.

The lads that commented are all bang on - I smiled reading the compost for gardening and harvest back yard trees for wood burner in the suburbs. I do the same ! And I thought I was a freak haha.

Good advice and yes we untimatly do damage so the goal is to lesson it as stated in this thread. Cleaner motors etc etc note there are solar powered launches on the market now so interesting where that all goes.

I do the same as mentioned on thread but try and do a bit extra to counter balance in my mind, like always stopping the boat to pick up rubbish if I see it. My crew have a landing net on standby. Landing on hard to get at beaches bays etc with a bag and spend 15mins picking up rubbish. Good for scouting guts and cray spots too. Targeting pest fish. Fresh water cat fish carp koi etc sea Kina in bad locations. When at the ramp when walking to or from trailer do a wide berth and pick up any non natural items and bin them.

I never buy commercial caught sea food unless no other option at a restaurant.

All of the above my dad and grandfather etc would have never entered their mind - Good on ya RiceOwl your thinking is progressive.

-------------
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 9:06am
Fish frames/ heads.. there is an app.. great idea but my experiance was bad.. data bases why out of date etc.
In this moderen urban world, ppl dont know their neighbours, often would not even recognize them at the local supermarket...
Simply pack them up into a bag, then go door knocking.. grab their cell number. When close to finish filleting  txt them.
 9 times out of 10, you end up with the occasional bottle wine on the door step... Find Asians are far more likely to do this.

That is just about making good use of the resource... others here put into trenches in the veggie garden, then turn them into veggies..also which the excess often gets shared around the neighbourhood

None of this stuff is modern .. we give it a modern twist..
 Hell "burn bash bury" "take home rubbish" any ex scout, boys brigade, guide from the last  100 od yrs will be very familiar with that....as with frames... And compositing, coppicing trees goes back 1000s of yrs

That we now have to market the concepts, recycle etc is a simple reflection on a modern BS society and the parents who never passed these 1000 yr old concepts on.. If they where passed on we would not need to market the concepts. And spend the millions on better education , hospital services , would not have a housing or traffic problem emerge.

This simple question/ thread goes far further than just taking rubbish home..

Posted By: MB
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 9:34am
A good thread.

Plastic waste - that's easy I suppose, take it home and dispose of it properly. Where it ends up is another matter.

Bait/burley - don't bother! Not required for the upper north island at least. Apart from the cost, I'd rather those pilchards were left in the ocean to make our snapper fat.

Fuel - difficult for a boatie. A kayak is an option if you want to be really green.

Fish - don't take more than you need. I know it's nice to feed the whole neighbourhood, but I'd rather leave some in the ocean for the next day. Heads/frames to a good home.

Lost tackle - an inevitability at some point. If you get snagged, pull for a break rather than cutting the line. I've seen quite a few people do the latter. Why? You lose more line and leave it in the ocean. If you pull for a break, the line generally breaks at the terminal tackle or leader. Protect reel and rod from excessive pressure. 

Posted By: Coutta
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 10:19am
I agree with what this thread is trying to achieve but most of it is already done by responsible anglers using simple old fashioned common sense.There are some who do and will continue to abuse what we have but unfortunately idiots can't be educated.  My only concern here is that our Minister of Conservation might see this as a mandate to ban internal combustion engines, mono lines, lead sinkers, cruel fishhooks and anything else she may think of.
Having said that, well done RiceOwl.  A reminder every so often to look after what we have can only be good.

Posted By: Muppet
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 10:33am
Simple solution really to lessen your environmental impact. That is don’t have kids.

Posted By: Clifftastic
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 10:35am
Humans are genetically set-up to be complete a-holes. For every plastic bottle you recycle, 2,000 are being dumped either in a landfill or tossed onto the side of the road. 
I've spent a lot of my life travelling around the world and had my above statement reaffirmed in every country i've visited. My advice is to relax, fish, be happy, do what you want to keep yourself happy whilst trying not to be a complete a-hole. People are different, try not to be too harsh a judge of others actions.

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 10:50am
My advice is to relax, fish, be happy, do what you want to keep yourself happy whilst trying not to be a complete a-hole. People are different, try not to be too harsh a judge of others actions.

Yep go out and do your think with a commonsense clear conscience.. as to others.. But DO judge them as self centered self absorbing idiots.. their action DO define who they are, and they should be judged on their actions.
 Without rules regulations, and common sense , not judging ends up in free for all anachey
 But dont  EVER let these idiots spoil your day...

There is a comment above about taking what need.. not feed the whole local community...
 Thats important.. 
Have caught limit many a time  but only once come home with a limit in the bin...Less than 1/2 limit  for 3 ppl with good sized pannies will feed all 3 families for several nights plus a few fillets to give way ..each.

Posted By: SaltyC
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 11:58am
Agree with Muppet!

Breeding has a larger environmental impact than any of the rest of this stuff.

Posted By: Snappa Geoff
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by Clifftastic Clifftastic wrote:

Humans are genetically set-up to be complete a-holes. For every plastic bottle you recycle, 2,000 are being dumped either in a landfill or tossed onto the side of the road. 
I've spent a lot of my life travelling around the world and had my above statement reaffirmed in every country i've visited. My advice is to relax, fish, be happy, do what you want to keep yourself happy whilst trying not to be a complete a-hole. People are different, try not to be too harsh a judge of others actions.
Totally agree Cliff! Year ago visited Fiji for Stepson's wedding. Booked a fishing trip-Cheaper than most advertised. We took a half deserted road through mangroves to a small bay where we boarded boat from beachLOL The mangroves were a metre thick of floating rubbish and plastic on top of water. Thousands of plastic items. Filthiest mess iv'e ever seen! Was like it for about a Kilometre. The locals seem to use these out of way mangroves as there DumpThumbs Down

Posted By: Tagit
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 1:23pm
Use compostable plastics and plant some trees. We have over 200 planted now and depending on whose calculations you use that offsets around 6000l of fuel use per year. 

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 3:49pm
Thing about recycling is at the moment we are stuck with tons of plastic China does not want anymore. So all you are doing is adding to a plastic mountain. 

Don't they just burn it in Singapore? 

Apparently trees only absorb 25 litres of C02 a year. But obviously a billion helps LOL

I know a lot of people who harp on about climate change etc. And they are some of the biggest C02 producing travelers too, funny they don't tend to see the irony.

Posted By: pjc
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 4:12pm
Makes me wonder those who litter the sea,are they the same ones who toss the kfc maccas etc out the car window??

-------------
Sex at 58.Lucky I live at 56

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 4:52pm
I recon you are onto it there also PJ.

A lack of respect for the environment, others goes further than just a car or boat..
 litter on the street, if not picked up at by those employed by our rates and taxes, gets washes out to sea also.
 Areas that should be council/ government  revenue gathering  'user pays'
 you litter , you get fined.. those fines go to paying to clean up their mess..
 You run a red light, that pays for more red lights...more revenue.. and when ppl stop, we let the red light cameras become obsolete.
 User bloody pays.. stop penalising the honest ppl

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 5:59pm
Been thinking about what SaltyC and Muppet said about breeding.  They make a good point but I got quite depressed when it struck me how flash a boat I could have had if I hadn't spent the money on bloody kids.I just hope they pick me a good Rest Home.

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 6:19pm
LOL Life would be a whole lot easier Coutta.

It is a fact that though, of all the damage we do its continuing it that is worse by reproducing more than ever. Big carbon footprints included flying which really is our problem down here. 

The cattle emissions thing I don't really care about either, way I see it if humans were not about there would probably be the same if not more herbivores wandering the planet producing the same amount of gases. Was there not 10-20 million Bison in North America just over a century ago, imagine the gases! 

But back to the OP I got a bit off track, yes I do worry about plastic entering the natural systems. Its never happened before so we don't know how it is going to affect things in the future just yet.  

Posted By: fish-feeder
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 6:20pm
Sheet,I think I'd rather have kids that a boat,but I guess that's just me.

-------------
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.

Posted By: Structfab
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 8:11pm
If the answer to saving the planet is to not have kids......then who are you saving it for?

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 8:26pm
Ah, at the end of the day Fish Feeder, I'd also prefer my kids to my boat (just)  I think an old fashioned sense of humour needs to be recognised on this site occasionally.

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 8:30pm
Thanks for all the input team. There have been some real gems in there.

All I was trying to get to were wondering what small things we could do to have lessen our impact or offset the impact we have.

To contribute to the convo myself, I try many of the things that have been mentioned already - utilizing all the fish that I catch, using systemic containers when filleting rather than single use plastics, buy good quality gear, I prefer to fish on the drift and not anchor, and also prefer using lures.

What I was getting to with the bait and berley comment was there must be a pretty massive footprint buy the purse seiners, so one thing I am wanting to get into to is catching my own bait, whether that is squid off some of the wharves nearby or with a throw net etc.

Some great tips that I will take on board - Really like the idea of getting to know your neighbours by dropping off fish heads and frames. Also a good point about snags and not just cutting off a massive lot of mono.

One thing I am noticing becoming more common is the use of circle hooks to have less gut hooked fish. Only a small thing but definitely all helps.

Posted By: Tagit
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 8:36pm
Yes on the circle hooks as well. All our hire gear (and my own) are equipped with circle hooks, and gut hooked fish are very rare.

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by Structfab Structfab wrote:

If the answer to saving the planet is to not have kids......then who are you saving it for?

Life, but not as we know it Jim LOL

Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 9:50pm
IMO the best thing to help the planet out when it comes to fishing is don't use bait. While i love bait fishing as much as I love lure fishing, it just doesn't make sense to turn 10 pillies into one snapper.

-------------
Best gurnard fisherman in my street

Posted By: OuttaHere
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

it just doesn't make sense to turn 10 pillies into one snapper.

Especially when you can turn half a bullet tuna into 20 Gurnard Approve

Posted By: kitno
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 11:04pm
Good thread RiceOwl.
I'm not too concerned about my impact on the environment via fishing. The planet and the entire solar system is doomed no matter what we do. The sun will eventually implode on itself and suck us in to it aswell as our closest known Galaxy will collide with us at a frightening speed.
Tree hugging, croc wearing hippies can't save us from what's inevitable. We are a grain of sand in a very large desert and can not control our destiny as a planet.
Not saying we shouldn't try, just saying...

-------------
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 7:51am
Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

IMO the best thing to help the planet out when it comes to fishing is don't use bait. While i love bait fishing as much as I love lure fishing, it just doesn't make sense to turn 10 pillies into one snapper.
totally...and also with lure fishing, I find catching juvenile fish is almost totally eliminated,  and the fish that are caught don't take the hook down into their gills, as are 99% of the time lip hooked.
There's so much wrong with bait and burley IMO. How many burley bags are lost in a weekend to Bronzies I wonder......and what becomes of them.....scary thought
Just about every landbased spot in the country has some doosh bags pillie or squid plastic bag jammed into a crack somewhere....or just left to go where ever

Posted By: Clifftastic
Date Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 8:16am
I think it was the great Bob Marley's uncle who famously said - 

"You can fool some fishies sometime, but you can't fool all the fishies all 'a da time..."

Bait has it's place in the order of things. But I do agree, nothing makes the blood rise faster than seeing a discarded bait/burley bag.

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: SaltyC
Date Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 9:07am
Originally posted by Structfab Structfab wrote:

Everything else? 

You can't rail against the destruction of the planet and then create more of the virus that is destroying it!

Oh, hang on, Jacinda just did that at the UN!

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 9:19am

I like that...

I gave up on pillies yrs ago.. they cost too much, partly because they are 1 shot and gone baits.. Pick up a mullet and a Trev at the fish shop.. scale/ fillet, cut long baits...about pille size...freeze in small bags.. about a 1 1/2 fillet  each bag mix trev and mullet in each bag.. means fresh bait on the board all the time

Heads /frames go thru the garden mulcher.. 2L milk bottle... burley...
3 guys on a busy day will go thru about 3 to 6 bags..
 and1 to 3 burlys
Just buy in enough fish for next trip..day or so before hand.
 Burley make up 2 time a tr if out 20/ 30 times a yr.
Thats a full and bit more 50Lfish bin.. around 40/45 bottles.
 2 1/2 hrs from set up mulcher to get out of the shower and cuppa coffee.

Something so many miss.. well powered and well propped.
Our boat was min powered.. ok enough to be economical..and had been professionally propped by previous owner (receipts)
Change of prop (1@ $50/ 1 @ $120) meant a slightly faster cruise and 45% reduction in fuel and oil..
Change of motor to well/ little over powered another prop ($75) gave a further 10 to 15% on the previous change/ motor... and smoother, quieter faster cruise and chop speeds.
 Change of prop on sons boat ($75) 25/30% reduction in fuel and oil.

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 9:37am
Originally posted by SaltyC SaltyC wrote:

Everything else? 

You can't rail against the destruction of the planet and then create more of the virus that is destroying it!

Oh, hang on, Jacinda just did that at the UN!
LOL

honestly, I think it would have to be a mass suicide of all of us for it to work. With out the innocence of children existing on the planet, I believe the remaining adult population would accelerate the destruction to oblivion 

Print Page | Close Window