Forum Name: Yak Yak Yak
Forum Description: The forum for Kayak enthusiasts
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=128649
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 2:03am

Topic: Lessons
Posted By: Big Kev
Subject: Lessons
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2018 at 5:34pm
I'm a complete Kayak novice, where can I go for basic lessons and safety information, location Ruakaka

-------------
"The worst day fishing is better than the best day working"

Replies:
Posted By: Steps
Date Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 8:11am
Not a kayaker,but the 1st place of call for anything fishing, would be the local fishing gear/bait shop.
Chances are one of the staff will be right into your side of the sport, and if not they will be able to piont you in the right direction.

Posted By: Big Manly Yaka
Date Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 9:09am
Hey Big Kev, not sure of your experience but the Coastguard Day skipper course is a good start for the basics of safety and on water knowledge  - boats or kayaks. - and it can be done online if you can't get down to the classes.
Then maybe try to find a club to join, as steps said the local tackle shop might be able to help on that?
Have you got a kayak already?

Date Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 12:49pm
I've done day skippers & boatmaster courses & had boats for years, never even been in a Kayak but recently retired & just thought it would be a great way to get out fishing  as the boat was too hard on my own

-------------

Posted By: MB
Date Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 3:41pm
Rob Fort in Coromandel, or Tim Taylor in Tauranga come to mind. I can't think of anyone up here. Maybe, a non-fishing orientated kayaking outfit, there are a few around. Most people just get on with it, but I would imagine that all kayak fishos have found themselves close to trouble, or actually in trouble at times, so a course isn't a terrible idea. Otherwise, going out with an experienced kayaker can speed up the learning process significantly. 

Posted By: The Tamure Kid
Date Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 7:58pm
Great thinking, Big Kev. I imagine a lot can go wrong in a kayak, especially when rods, fish, sea anchors etc come into play.

Mike Burgin, the manager of Top Catch Whangarei is a prominent kayak fisho on some of the forums.Maybe give him a bell. I'd bet there's a club up that way, too.

Posted By: BananaBoat
Date Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 8:04pm
http://www.canoeandkayak.co.nz" rel="nofollow - www.canoeandkayak.co.nz
got into kayak fishing last year, did a paddle course from above link
I was completely green, didnt know anything, so the course provided me the basics, learned heaps too, especially getting back into a yak after getting tipped out is a must learn

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 3:02pm
Their courses look like just what I am looking for, cheers

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 3:02pm
Cheers mate I'll give him a call

-------------

Print Page | Close Window