Print Page | Close Window

Sea anchor from the ski

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: JetSki (PWC) fishing
Forum Description: Doing it on a ski....
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=128447
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 8:00am

Topic: Sea anchor from the ski
Posted By: MB
Subject: Sea anchor from the ski
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 7:34am
I change my mind on running a sea anchor from the ski. Started out with the Tagit jet ski version running off one of the stern eyes. Gave up because it isn't big enough and buggering about with ropes and clips at that end of the ski is a pain in the arse.

Thinking about going for a bigger sea anchor and attaching it to the bow eye via a longish rope and quick release clip. Retrieval would be done by driving forward and collecting the sea anchor from alongside the ski. My main concern with running it from up front is that if I had to move quickly (i.e. being run down by a blind boatie), I couldn't.

Any thoughts?

Replies:
Posted By: Otto
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 11:49am
As far as getting run down by some plonker attaching it to the bow would possible be the safest.
Worst case would be one coming bow to bow (you'd have to move sooner) but otherwise your facing the direction to motor immediately so would have double your warp straight ahead and a bit less either side.
Worst case would be cutting the warp once under load and alongside you in an emergency.

????

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 5:39pm
Thanks for the reply Otto. On the safety front, maybe I should have been more clear. With the sea anchor coming off the stern, I can reach the line with my gaff without moving the ski. With the sea anchor clipped off up front, there would be no chance of doing the same.

Posted By: coxie
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 6:56pm
I don't run one often on my ski but when I have used it, attaching to the front was the best way, keeps the bow pointing into the wind and chop which aids in slowing drift speed. Have heard of a few people getting the rope wrapped around the pump though haha so maybe have something to prevent this. 

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 7:17pm
Cheers Coxie, yeah, rope being sucked in to the intake/impeller is another worry. I've been coping by upping jig size (inchiku-size stuff) and there is the argument that if you need a sea anchor to slow the drift on the ski, it's probably better to be at home anyway :)

Posted By: Slyde
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 4:05pm
The easiest way to run it off the bow is to first set up a leader line about 1.5m long. Attach one end to the bow with a loop. The other end has a cylinder float and ends in a  caribeener type clip. When you put your drogue in the water run the line through the caribeener clip and then make a large loop knot in the line so it wont slide past the knot. Make sure you have about 2.5 m of extra line beyond that point so that the leader and drogue deploys off the bow but you still have the bitter end of the drogue line with you back where you sit on the ski. . When its time to go just pull it in, the leader with the float and caribeener will come alongside you and then you just pull it all in and unclip it from the leader. If you drop the leader in the water it has a float so you wont lose it where you cant get to it.
I do the same thing when anchoring. Works a treat. In fact the leader stays attached pretty much all the time and serves for my launching line, my anchor, and a drogue.
I just use a yak drogue and to be honest very rarely need it as I dont usually go out if its windy enough to need a drogue. The Ski is for fair weather fishing IMHO.

Print Page | Close Window