Print Page | Close Window

What would trout fishing be without your own flies

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Freshwater Fishing
Forum Name: Fly Tying
Forum Description: Swap tips and techniques for Fresh and Saltwater fly patterns
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=127963
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 5:12am

Topic: What would trout fishing be without your own flies
Posted By: Rainbow
Subject: What would trout fishing be without your own flies
Date Posted: 13 May 2018 at 8:00pm
Gone off nymphing a bit and returned to wet lining nearly all of last winter.    Nothing beats a big hit on the swing.    Or ripping off a 100footer with a shooting head on a wide Tongariro pool.
Been tying nearly 100 of my go to flies for the coming winter
Rainbow

Replies:
Posted By: Legacy
Date Posted: 13 May 2018 at 8:34pm
Beautiful looking flies , generally like to fish with my own but do buy the odd Royal Wulf as an indicator . Time can be an issue .

Posted By: The Tamure Kid
Date Posted: 13 May 2018 at 10:17pm
Great looking boxes, Rainbow. I used to love that sense of anticipation of the weather turning, and pulling out the fly tying gear for the winter ahead.
I'm intrigued by the variegated ones - are they tied with variegated 'marabou', or are you layering different colours of feather?

I like the visual aspect of the nymphing indicator ripping under, and as you know from a couple of posts in the past, the fly tying aspect of imitating various larvae such as the net building caddis on the Tongariro.

But I have certainly seen a few times the effectiveness of swung Woolly Buggers etc in taking a better class of fish from some of the more famous bigger pools on the Big T when 'nymphers' have been thrashing the water without great results.

Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 12:11am
Hi TTK     I like simplicity to get the job done.    The variegated pattern is made with a brown permanent ink felt tip pen after the fly is tied.     Works OK and lasts as long as the fly.    One reason for tying so many is to feed the hungry snags.    On a bad day I have lost well over a dozen.    Problem is one has to get down to the fish and that is where the snags are.    Been fishing mainly with #12lbs leader, which saves some flies in a particular snag that has lots of nylon tangles.    Sometimes I can feel the nylon breaking as I heave on my line.     Trouble is the snag was dead centre in the best lie.
Yes looking forward to casting the long wand again now that I done with jigging for the year.   
Cheers
Herb  

Posted By: bryce_s
Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 3:48pm
Nice flies. Have you tried tying in a weed guard? http://intheriffle.com/fishing-videos/fly-tying-tips-tricks/double-weed-guard-video/" rel="nofollow - http://intheriffle.com/fishing-videos/fly-tying-tips-tricks/double-weed-guard-video/

Posted By: The Tamure Kid
Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 4:07pm
Very clever with the marker pen, Herb. I've seen that done on salt water flies for bonefish etc, but not in trout flies.

i hate those annoyingly positioned snags, but that's probably why the fish are there, sheltering in what they perceive to be a safe, low flow area.

In the old Plank Pool there was a willow half way up that created the perfect nymphing lie, but a cast that was too ambitious would hang up. It initially looked like a take from a 8lber - for about two seconds, then DAMMMMM.

Date Posted: 16 May 2018 at 4:09pm
Hi Bryce    I probably should but suspect that the weed guard isn't a stick guard or a rock guard.    A lot of times the fly simply gets jammed between boulders as it swings across.
Last year I used the snags to clean out a fly box loaded with flies I have never used or only used 20 years ago.    I did ok with some strange patterns but when I got onto the Red Setters I started to really catch fish.    Funny that as I have not used Red Setters for years and so have many of my friends.    This once famous fly has almost completely been forgotten.   In fact it was the go to fly for many and because it had an orange body there was a move to ban it because it was imitating roe.    So after I broke off all the old ones I set about tying 30 new ones.    To keep it simple I just palmer the hackle over the orange body.     I also tied some more rabbit streamers in my own way without ribbing.  

Cheers

Herb 

Posted By: SNOWKIWI
Date Posted: 16 May 2018 at 5:00pm
Very nice Rainbow, one of the first fly's that I tried to tie, that, the Hare & Copper, and the Ginger Mick, have accounted for many trout over my years fishing!

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow"> It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing, by people who can't fish.

Print Page | Close Window