Forum Name: Fishing Reports
Forum Description: Share information about your latest fishing trip
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=127886
Printed Date: 30 Mar 2024 at 2:34am

Topic: Aaron Takes 1st! Mokau
Posted By: Snappa Geoff
Subject: Aaron Takes 1st! Mokau
Date Posted: 06 May 2018 at 9:17am
Hi all, like alot on here iv'e been having trouble posting photo's, but have found if you post pic before any writing has been working for me. Had around a month of rough westcoast sea and weather without any fish'n but entered the Waikato big four Comp hoping to be able to fish off Mokau without travelling. Worked out a treat with two fishable days here of the four. Aaron also entered along with good mate Mark from Hamilton. 1st day Mark hooked a big Snap just under 10 kg's! so decided to bail from Mokau and head to target Kingi's  Kahawai and Trev's  off Whangamata Aaron and i had a couple round 7 kg  from day one. Day two long slow morning with no decent Snaps, but the afternoon hotted up and we hit into themBig smile My best for weigh in was just shy of 9 kg's, but Aaron topped that easily with a beaut conditioned Snap going nearly 10.5 kgs. We also hooked some good Kahawai to enter for that section but no kings or Trev's for us. On to weigh in and Prizes! The Snap section was a clean sweep for Mokau with Aaron !st Mark 2nd and myself 3rd. Amazing prizes with Aaron winning a Saltiga Combo, as were Saltiga's for Heaviest Kingi and same for Womens. My best Kahawai hung on for 1st but the main event was who had the heaviest combined four fish weight for overall honours. Mark managed a 7 odd kg Kingi and a small Trev. But big 20 kg plus Kings coming from White island along with 4-5kg Trevs set the Standard. With the winners total weight going over 30 kg's! Like to Thank Waikato Sport Fishing Cub and Sponsors for another fantastic Comp. Pic- Aaron's heaviest Snap along with a mate we took out fom Taupo and caught his best ever  Snap. Cheers....

Replies:
Posted By: jackel
Date Posted: 06 May 2018 at 9:25am
Nice result Geoff, sound like a fun comp and good prizes.

Posted By: smelli
Date Posted: 06 May 2018 at 9:49am
Awesome and well done again Geoff. You and Aaron are becoming a bit of a gun for winning comps Wink

-------------
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=717361

Posted By: Potty
Date Posted: 06 May 2018 at 11:36am
👍top stuff geoff.

-------------
Love fishing, love my job. It's a bloody shame that they clash. http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: kitno
Date Posted: 06 May 2018 at 11:55am
Nice work Geoff and Aaron, Mokau producing the goods again.

-------------
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.

Posted By: skunk
Date Posted: 06 May 2018 at 2:18pm
Wicked result Geoff..
It's a great challenge, the big four.
Sounds like some guys doing a lot of miles these days.
Was lucky enough to win it a few years back with a big four from the firth of thames. !

-------------
"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"

Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 06 May 2018 at 4:06pm
Impressive as always Geoff. ClapClap

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Date Posted: 06 May 2018 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by skunk skunk wrote:

Wicked result Geoff..
It's a great challenge, the big four.
Sounds like some guys doing a lot of miles these days.
Was lucky enough to win it a few years back with a big four from the firth of thames. !
Hi Skunk, great win a few years ago! Yep to win the Big Four these days alot of boat towing involved.Beer

Posted By: krow
Date Posted: 06 May 2018 at 9:51pm
Thumbs Up Top stuff again. Not too bad for only fishing 1/2 the days. Nice pic and read.

Posted By: feeder
Date Posted: 07 May 2018 at 5:52pm
Perfect results, well done team Mokau.

Cheers

-------------
The only bar to frequent is the Kawhia Bar

Posted By: Muzzfishing
Date Posted: 07 May 2018 at 6:31pm
Well done Geoff and team, heard your team cleaned up the Snapper prizes again.
I couldnt fish the comp this time work got in the way.

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">     A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.

Posted By: paihia panther
Date Posted: 07 May 2018 at 8:19pm
send a few of those big snapper up kariotahi way geoff beach fishing crap at moment

Date Posted: 07 May 2018 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by paihia panther paihia panther wrote:

send a few of those big snapper up kariotahi way geoff beach fishing crap at moment
Hi Panther, The Kontiki guys here having a bit of a lean patch as well, hope it improves for ya soonWink

Date Posted: 07 May 2018 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by Muzzfishing Muzzfishing wrote:

Well done Geoff and team, heard your team cleaned up the Snapper prizes again.
I couldnt fish the comp this time work got in the way.

Cheers Muzz, wondered were you were! caught up with a few other Forum Members....

Posted By: Clifftastic
Date Posted: 08 May 2018 at 8:01am
Mokau firming itself nicely into NZ fishing folklore... 

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: CrayZfish
Date Posted: 08 May 2018 at 10:18am
Well Done Geoff and Aaron, i've been wondering how the Mokau fishing's been going, and figured the weather has been putting a damper on things.

Was down in Manawatu on the weekend, sounds like Wangavegas is pumping, big snaps soming in down there which was good to see.

Need to get the boat wet, now opening weekend is over.

-------------
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!

Posted By: FizFisho
Date Posted: 08 May 2018 at 1:48pm
Nice one Geoff, who needs money for gear when you can let your fishing do the work :-).

Whats the best individual prize/competition you can enter annually for your snapper from Mokau?

Date Posted: 08 May 2018 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by FizFisho FizFisho wrote:

Nice one Geoff, who needs money for gear when you can let your fishing do the work :-).

Whats the best individual prize/competition you can enter annually for your snapper from Mokau?
Hi F.F. The Best that I know of is the Waikato Sportfishing Club Comps, based from Hamilton but your allowed to fish anywhere. Same with Kawhia Snapa Casha, another fish anywhere comp. Plus our local Comps. Probably a few more but haven't discovered them yet. Also The national Measure Comp i enter. Cheers...

Posted By: FizFisho
Date Posted: 22 May 2018 at 8:26am
Well either way I reckon you are set for tackle for life. Its a shame the prizes arent like the boatshow with a new $80k boat, but Im sure you are not complaining either :-)

Good snaps.!

Posted By: paihia panther
Date Posted: 22 May 2018 at 4:04pm
hi geoff i dont no if you remember david billings used to kite fish alot with you im fishing alot with him now we will have to pop in for a chat some time

Print Page | Close Window