Print Page | Close Window

Drift speed

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: Soft Bait Fishing
Forum Description: Anything to do with this latest and greatest way of catching our favourite species
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=127841
Printed Date: 18 Apr 2024 at 8:41pm

Topic: Drift speed
Posted By: Kandrew
Subject: Drift speed
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 10:04pm
I would be interested to see what is the ideal drift speed people like when softbaiting. For me it’s the slower the better, not stopped but around .5 km. Then I can use lighter jig heads and have more time in the strike zone. Heavier jig heads just hit the bottom to quick instead of letting the bait drift down.

I’ve had many good sessions wrecked by the wind. I fish from a 6mtr tinny and have used some big funnel type sea anchors up to 2.0 mtr diameter but I find the funnel ones are pretty everage, so I Just brought a 7 foot ocean angler handbrake so I see how that gos. Is anyone using one of these and how are guys finding them. Cheers

Replies:
Posted By: viscount
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 10:59pm
I fish from a 6.2m center console and i like around the .4-.6 range so you can cover the ground and use 1/2oz heads and lighter, i use the OA handbrake and it made a huge difference to the drift, i hang it off the stern corners once i get the drift right as i have a casting platform up front. I didn't put on the retrieval line the first time which was a mistake. I gave away my two drouges which i thought were good for soft baiting.

-------------
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Schullery

Posted By: MB
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 11:27pm
I think most people find that they need at least one size up from recommended. True for everything from kayaks to big trailer boats.

Posted By: Muppet
Date Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 7:08am
Not a concern for me on the kayak. It really depends on the spot and how you are fishing it.

Date Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 8:29am
Originally posted by viscount viscount wrote:

I fish from a 6.2m center console and i like around the .4-.6 range so you can cover the ground and use 1/2oz heads and lighter, i use the OA handbrake and it made a huge difference to the drift, i hang it off the stern corners once i get the drift right as i have a casting platform up front. I didn't put on the retrieval line the first time which was a mistake. I gave away my two drouges which i thought were good for soft baiting.

Thanks mate, what size handbrake do you use?

Posted By: Espresso
Date Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 11:04am
I use two big Tagit drogues off the stern, if too windy for those or otherwise - I use the engine idle in reverse to hold position. Or use metal jigs instead of lightweight jigheads.

Date Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by Espresso Espresso wrote:

I use two big Tagit drogues off the stern, if too windy for those or otherwise - I use the engine idle in reverse to hold position. Or use metal jigs instead of lightweight jigheads.

Yep good idea about using the motor and I did try 2 drogues, took up a bit of room out the back of the boat. Hopefully the OA handbrake will be better. 7 foot / 2.1 mtr in diameter, my last funnel type was 1.8 and wasn’t quite there. Thinking the parachute type might have a bit more stopping power. Their next size is 12 foot / 3.6 metres. Now that’s getting big.

Posted By: Uncle
Date Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 1:13pm
The OA I got was great from the start but adding a bungee to it made the performance even better.
Stops the handbrake collapsing.Big smile  

Date Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by Uncle Uncle wrote:

The OA I got was great from the start but adding a bungee to it made the performance even better.
Stops the handbrake collapsing.Big smile  

Thanks for that I’ll rig one up.

Date Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 5:23pm
I got the biggest one they make.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 5:25pm
I got the same as you 7ft, I will do what uncle said and put in a bungy cord to take the surge out

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by viscount viscount wrote:

I got the same as you 7ft, I will do what uncle said and put in a bungy cord to take the surge out

What size boat mate

Posted By: muchalls
Date Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 9:09pm
Yup, as everyone says, a length of thick bungee to act as a damper is well,worth it.

I miss my old Stabi 1750.......

Date Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by muchalls muchalls wrote:

Yup, as everyone says, a length of thick bungee to act as a damper is well,worth it.

I miss my old Stabi 1750.......

Yep on the list

Posted By: Ecko
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 9:04am
Hi guys - how do you add the bungy do your drogues?

Posted By: Polar_Kiwis
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 1:23pm
Don't like stationary.  .5-1.5 is good. And being able to get line to bottom. Which usually means wind with tide. Anything more than 15kts is not that ideal for my boat. Drifts too much. Sea anchor helps. 

-------------
Here fishy, fishy fishy.... Nom, nom, nom

Posted By: Joker
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by Ecko Ecko wrote:

Tie 2 knots in the mainline just short of the maximum stretch of the bungy and insert the hooks into the knots so just before the bungy breaks the line comes tight. 

Posted By: waynorth
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by Joker Joker wrote:

Originally posted by Ecko Ecko wrote:

Tie 2 knots in the mainline just short of the maximum stretch of the bungy and insert the hooks into the knots so just before the bungy breaks the line comes tight. 

Or if the drogue is rigged with cheap polyethylene rope replace it with some 8mm nylon - stronger, sinks, more stretch.

-------------
treat fish like fish

Print Page | Close Window