Forum Name: Rod Building
Forum Description: Rod building chat here
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=124603
Printed Date: 13 Dec 2019 at 7:16am

Topic: Another rod question!
Posted By: BlindFishingNZ
Subject: Another rod question!
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 7:46pm
Another rod question...I've acquired a fairly old Kilwell septre game rod that seems in reasonable condition, however, the bindings on the guides are flaking.

Is it worth getting them rebound, replacing all of them completely, or just getting a new rod?

If rebinding/replacing is a good option, is there a good local TGA man for the job?

Thanks all for the help!

Replies:
Posted By: muchalls
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 9:46pm
If the rod blank and reel seat are ok, I would get new guides. Sorry but no idea who might do this for you locally.

My first rod build was an old Ryobi 2 piece fly rod I bought from BA, the reel seat was loose, guides were corroded a bit.
So, I stripped it back to the blank, made some jigs and rebuilt it as a SWF rod.
It has even caught some Kahawai! Picture at Ninepin, BOI.

Posted By: Polar_Kiwis
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 10:31pm
I just bought this book. Will have a go at building a rod soon. This book was a pretty good price shipped straight to my home:
https://www.bookdepository.com/Advanced-Custom-Rod-Building-Dale-P-Clemens/9781620877937

-------------
Here fishy, fishy fishy.... Nom, nom, nom

Posted By: BlindFishingNZ
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 9:07am
Thanks guys, further to this, what would be the best way of removing the resin from the bindings without wrecking the bindings?

I've had someone have a look, his advice was hang it on the wall as an old classic, but it would still be nice to tidy it up!

Thanks,

Posted By: GSPOT
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 8:22am
You could pick as much of the loose stuff off with a dentists pick then put an other coat over the top.  Could work depending on how discolored the original Epoxy is. 

Posted By: gtrbaby
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 2:12pm
I'd redo it for you if you can get it to me in Hamilton .

Print Page | Close Window