Print Page | Close Window

ID please

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: General Forums
Forum Name: The Fish Tank
Forum Description: Discuss fish species here - ecology, ichthyology, biology, habitats etc
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=123407
Printed Date: 30 Mar 2024 at 4:54am

Topic: ID please
Posted By: BFIST
Subject: ID please
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 8:59am
We got this in 500m from the Waikawa Trench.

Replies:
Posted By: FishMan
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 1:14pm
Looks like a Ribaldo (Mora moro) a deepsea cod. This specimen looks a bit paler than the ribaldo I have seen so there maybe another species closely related to the ribaldo that I don't know about, but I'm guessing it's just a standard ribaldo.

They are a commercial species generally caught at 300 metres and deeper.

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 9:06am
Cheers, we should have eaten it then.

We were a bit scared as the only other thing we got was an oil fish and we weren't going anywhere near that.

Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 26 May 2018 at 7:27pm
Caught in the Kaipara Harbour, possibly a true Rock Cod... any ideas, thoughts chaps?

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Date Posted: 26 May 2018 at 7:32pm
Some say Red Cod, some say ******* Cod, or B'stard red cod...

I'm not convinced...Geek

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Posted By: Tzer
Date Posted: 26 May 2018 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Some say Red Cod, some say ******* Cod, or B'stard red cod...

I'm not convinced...Geek

Saw this on FB earlier and replied thinking that this is what it is
http://www.fishguide.co.nz/fishguide/saltwater/saltwater_webpage/untitled/Chigodara_ka/Northern*******Cod.htm

then someone posted back with this
http://fishesofaustralia.net.au/Home/species/2852

I wonder if they are the same fish. Tried posting up proper link but for some reason the hyper link isn't working

Posted By: cirrus
Date Posted: 26 May 2018 at 9:26pm
First thought Northern Ba-stard red cod.

But dont recall while fringe on fins on that species.

Think your posting is correct Tzer. Lotela rhacina.

I personally would freeze the fish and get it off to Te Papa for positive id. If not send a photo.
If it is L rhacina then it could be a significant find in N.Z.

Date Posted: 27 May 2018 at 5:52am
Yup, Lotella rhacina. Beardie rock cod. Quite common in the north. It's smaller than the ba stard cod and you often see it in shallow caves while the ba stard cod is 20 metres plus. The white lines on the fins of the beardie are quite distinctive when you see it in a cave.

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 2:05pm
Anyone know what this is? from 320m

Someone suggested Southern Boarfish - Pentaceros Richardsoni

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 2:29pm
Yep. 

http://www.seafo.org/Science/Species-Summary/Southern-Boarfish%20" rel="nofollow - http://www.seafo.org/Science/Species-Summary/Southern-Boarfish

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 4:02pm
It almost looks like a short squat Hapuku/NZ Groper.

Appears to be thrashed commercially elsewhere in the world, I wonder what they taste like.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentaceros_richardsoni" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentaceros_richardsoni

-------------

Posted By: Tagit
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 4:27pm
I wonder if there is a table fish anywhere in the world where the encyclopedia description doesn't say that it has been commercially over exploited? I'll catch them all then retire with the money I 'earned'. Who cares about the next guy. He can go and find another species to exploit. I don't think there any new species left to find now. Damage has been totally done. Now we are just fighting about the scraps that are left.

Posted By: OuttaHere
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 5:00pm

It almost looks like a short squat Hapuku/NZ Groper.

Agreed, looks like a Puka and a Tarakihi got a bit amorous at some stage....

Posted By: snapperdave
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 6:53pm
Can anyone identify this fugly beast? caught in 400M just out from White island at the weekend cheers Dave

Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 7:35pm
No idea! Maybe a ghost shark? Come in Fishman! Reverse google says a tiger shark, I've not seen either but it clearly isn't a tiger 

-------------
Best gurnard fisherman in my street

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by snapperdave snapperdave wrote:

Can anyone identify this fugly beast? caught in 400M just out from White island at the weekend cheers Dave

Chimaera - aka Ghost Shark

-------------

Posted By: Tzer
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 9:46pm

Originally posted by snapperdave snapperdave wrote:

Chimaera - aka Ghost Shark

Its not a Chimaera Al, its actually a Rat tail. Sorry cant get links to work, so cut and paste.

http://www.fishguide.co.nz/fishguide/saltwater/saltwater_picture/Bonyfishes/sokodara_ka_macrouridae/CommonRattail_OomeGinSokodara/18Nov2008AKFM(FromLing)/23cm_body.jpg

http://www.fishguide.co.nz/fishguide/saltwater/saltwater_picture/Bonyfishes/sokodara_ka_macrouridae/CommonRattail_OomeGinSokodara/18Nov2008AKFM(FromLing)/23cm_body.jpg

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 5:39am
Yep, Tzer's on to it. Chimaerids and Grenadiers both live at the same depths and can both have 'rat tails' so they are often confused. The Grenadiers like this one are true bony fish of the cod family while the Chimaerids are closer to sharks and have a skeleton made of cartilage. Only the Grenadiers can have scales.

400 meters is getting deep Confused Thanks for posting Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 5:47pm
Thanks guys - that fish ID website is a good resource...  I can confirm rat tail filletmakes good blue nose bait Big smile
400M is getting a bit deep - thank Neptune for electric reels!!

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 3:07pm
OK - so here's another mystery fish, caught 5 years ago by a mate way up in the upper reaches of Rangaunu harbour on a soft bait. I told him I thought it might be a spotted grouper, a protected species - so it went back unharmed. 

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 7:02pm
Yep, sure is - well done on the release Thumbs Up 

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by FishMan FishMan wrote:

Yep, sure is - well done on the release Thumbs Up 

I was gonna say the same, we have found babies under stones within rockpools at low tide at Urqhuarts Bays, Whangarei Harbour, plus I have seen a few diving in 6m at Bland Bay, some caught off the rocks towards Taupiri... that one looked a biggy!ClapCool

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 4:13am
Yes, I've heard of several large individuals caught right up in the mangroves in some harbours in high summer. No doubt they're in there loving that warmer water.

Posted By: Uffy
Date Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 9:50am
Have caught a few in the near vicinity of Rangaunu but always close in on the open coast. Never caught one in that or any other harbour but good to see them proliferating. Also well done on the release.

Date Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 5:29pm
Not the best photo but can anyone ID this from FB;

Got a new fish for you all today, Michael sent through this small shark (90cm) he caught in 170m off the West coast of Northland.

-------------

Posted By: [email protected]
Date Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 7:35pm
Have been getting a few of these lately out from toots, between 2-300mtrs

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2018 at 7:46am
From FB, Gut content of fish give an insight to what they are feeding on. these were from a kingfish caught in the outer gulf. can anyone guess what they are?....

Red Bandfish perhaps?

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 8:41am
This juvenile fish was photographed by @seacologynz last month associated with a raft of bull kelp off the Tutukaka Coast. There were more than one of these in the raft and they were all about 30mm long...

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 11:04am
This juvenile fish was so speedy Crispin from  https://www.facebook.com/seacology.co.nz/?fref=mentions" rel="nofollow - seacologynz.com  only got one snap of it before it buzzed off. It was found associated with a giant salp or pyrosome at the Poor Knights Islands. Do you know what it is???

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 6:21pm
Can anyone ID this, caught in deepwater off the east coast?

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 7:00pm
Come in Fishman

-------------

Posted By: Reel Deal
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 11:41pm
Catchalot did that shark with human looking eyes have a spike in front of its dorsel fin?

-------------
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 5:32am
The fish in the photo is a beardfish (Polymixia species). The long chin barbels on it can't be seen in the picture. This kept us guessing at 'What's That Fish' because the barbels were invisible. But it is a very rare capture anyway and hard enough to ID even when you can see them. 

There are a surprising number of different other deepwater / midwater species with the same general body shape and fin arrangement. Always hard to ID a species exactly with only a pic to look at.

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 8:45am
There are a few others above that pic FishMan, any ideas on those?

The one that looks like a spiny dog fish with blue eyes looks interesting...

-------------

Posted By: [email protected]
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 9:04am
Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

Catchalot did that shark with human looking eyes have a spike in front of its dorsel fin?

Hi, the ones we have been getting havnt had a spike

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 1:47pm
Yeah, the silver juvenile was a baby ray's bream... a very cool find. The mottled yellowish one is a juvenile ocean blue-eye - a more northern version of a blue nose that gets caught from time to time at places like the Garden Patch and has even been seen as an adult in diving depths at the Kermadecs. The digested long ones are red bandfish... quite a common find in the guts of snapper and kings over 50m+ mud bottoms. And the blue-eyed dogfish I have no idea about. I've got a big book of sharks of Australia here but deep living spiny dogs of various types fail to hold my interest Smile

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 1:57pm
Does nobody love spiny dogs? Poor things Big smile

-------------

Posted By: JMac83
Date Posted: 29 Sep 2018 at 12:08pm
Can anyone help with ID please? Slender Tuna? Can they be eaten?

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2018 at 12:52pm
Yes, a slender tuna. Apparently they are quite edible, but I don't know of anyone that has eaten one.

Posted By: repoman32
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 8:48pm

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 8:49pm
mate caught this up in the coromandel today, anyone know what it is

Posted By: cirrus
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 8:56pm
Looks very much like a pilot fish

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 9:48pm
Yeah looks like a pilot fish alright. I caught one once, it was following around a shark that was checking the boat out.

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 4:59pm
thanks guys

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 8:34pm
Was the Pilot Fish eaten?

Yes, have caught a small Slender Tuna in Fiordland.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window