Forum Name: Fishing Reports
Forum Description: Share information about your latest fishing trip
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12283
Printed Date: 18 Aug 2019 at 8:51am

Topic: Kina, fulltank...fish view
Posted By: Espresso
Subject: Kina, fulltank...fish view
Date Posted: 06 Jan 2006 at 7:25am

It looks like the devious planning over the last week or so is paying off. I now have a big burley stash including fresh (frozen now) Kina, ditched the responsibilities, got a ton of everything....I'll even get livies if possible....planning to leave Tauranga today, back to Whangaparaoa, so an early morning start for a fish hunt is on the cards. 10 - 20 knots SW in a 20ft tinny.

The rest of the coffee's drank today will be done staring at the charts and sorting out the frontal assault. Could be a lot of coffee! Any opinions?

Replies:
Date Posted: 06 Jan 2006 at 7:27am
<SCRIPT language=javascript> Opinions on where to go, not the coffee - I have Illy Espresso, naturally.

Posted By: snap
Date Posted: 06 Jan 2006 at 10:36am

Fished in 18mtrs straight out from Home Bay yeaterday in my 4.6mtr tinny and it wasn't too rough. The trip from Mission bay to the spot was easy the trip home a bit slower (and bumpier). Got 15 snaps (all around 40cm) between 6.30 and 7.30pm. Nothing big but still a feed!

Happy hunting!

Posted By: Bullet22
Date Posted: 06 Jan 2006 at 1:33pm

Looks like the weather is going to be 5 knots, variable and sea breezes so I qam sure this is going to open up your chances - follow a few work ups perhaps??

Good luck!!

Posted By: KeenAs
Date Posted: 06 Jan 2006 at 1:43pm

hows the fishin been b22?

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2006 at 1:53pm
espresso . ..  when ya lookin at headin out, would that be tomorrow morning?

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2006 at 2:47pm
Keenas - only got out last wednesday - primo weather and stinking hot.  Started near Tiri and got into a few and then head in behind for a swim and so lunch - then hit a workup and kicked arse!!  pulling in fish on ledger rigs two at a time.  Great day on the water.  Wind has been S**thouse lately so a few bits and pieces around the place.  Will be hitting it early tomorrow to see what the day will bring - might try and chase a few sneaky kings!!

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2006 at 2:56pm
Good work mate. had a good morning last thursday two notible fish of 13 & 17lbs! and took great pleasure in giving them a kiss and putting them back to fight another day. took home 4 between 3-6 lbs. friday morn was a bit slow and had a couple of good tussles with hammers. Sat morn had bait &berley in the water @ 5.15am, had 5 fish in the bin @ 5.45am. Am going out early in the morn and will more than likely do an evening mission tomorrow night. Good luck with the kings!!!

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2006 at 3:13pm

You are a freak!  my PB is 12lb snap and a 30lb King...

Not getting out as much as you at the moment but enjoying it when I do!  Still fishing the same spot I take it?

Good luck tomorrow...  Not sure where I will have a crack for the kings - need to get a live bait tank set up at some stage...

Wicked

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2006 at 3:19pm
same spot.i spose it could be said that i get rewarded for my efforts. livie tank ..  a 20 ltr paint bucket with a $20 air thingy like in fish bowls. or same sort of bucket full of holes and hung over the side . . .  hear from ya monday mate.

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2006 at 3:38pm

Cool - back in jafa-land safe. Kind of incredible with the crazies on the road!! Let me get out on the boat...

So yeah keenas, tomorrow (Sat) morning I just gotta go - leaving from Weiti river, Whangaparaoa, and latest report does reckon it'll 5 kts variable!!!! Ooooh maybe Anchorite somewhere???  Tempting to blow a stack of cash and go to Jimmies for the first time/??? 

Posted By: JK
Date Posted: 06 Jan 2006 at 3:42pm
Could be a good day for it espresso. Hopefully she holds right thru the weekend so I can get out sunday morning

-------------
LedgeNZ LBG

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2006 at 3:51pm

Jimmies . ..  i can only dream of getting there . ..  not quite the destination for a 3.8 m tinnie! i expect a report on Monday!

JK  where you lookin at gettin a line wet?

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2006 at 4:24pm

Keenas - it'll be smooth-as tomorrow a.m. early through to about 10am. Then a bit o' wind to ripple it up! Sunday will be smooth in am too but will have a few sea breezes by lunchtime.

Nice pics Snap...hopefully I can post some on Monday??

JK - Sunday am it'll be good, that big 'H' should be right over the gulf!

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2006 at 8:46pm

Look forward to seeing the results Espresso. There are big Kingi's around that's for sure!

What fantastic weather you have to look forward to!

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2006 at 10:15am

Hey Roath

I'm thinking along the same lines (get on the water about 3pm-4pm and fish the change of light). They seem to be pretty consistent at biting around 6.30pm onwards.

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2006 at 8:39pm

<SCRIPT language=javascript> Hey guys let me know what happened - you are probabaly out there as I type! A stunning looking evening it is!!

Went out nice and early, got to Channel Island around change of light this morning (5.30am), not much happening apart from about 5 other boats turning up at various times. So off to Anchorite....no snapper but lots of Kingies racing around, mainly rats, but a ton of fun. Biggest I landed was a 15lber which will be just beautiful smoked. I only had two livies and they got hammered within a couple of minutes of being in the water, one bust off and the other a nice 14lber. Boat arrived an anchored up got a 12lb snapper, but that was it. Oh yeah apart from a shark cruising through and a large pod of Dolphins on the way back in. Looked like a lot of people enjoying it out there, not many catching during the day that I saw?!

I'll be out there tomorrow - I'll sleep when I'm dead.

Gotta try and get some more livies from the jetty - they weren't keen on their duty this morning.

How'd ya'll do??? What?  What?

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2006 at 11:06am

Roath - Nice boat! Sorry I missed your post other wise we may have crossed paths. How'd ya go? I went to Matiatia hole at 5.30pm and first fish was an 8lber (see below). Then got a few others around 40cm before moving to other spots.

Here's my boat for future reference.

Espresso - Sounds like you had a good day out wide (kings and snaps). Thanks for the report.

Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2006 at 11:28am
That's a nice fish Snap. How did you get on Roath.

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2006 at 7:47am

we headed up around saddle and motuora and lots of small stuff. Few pannies but yeah bugger all really.

Bugger all kingi action too.

-------------
LedgeNZ LBG

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2006 at 11:35am

Hey snap - I love that spot where you're anchored - look up the cliff/bush and my place is right there! Nice boat! I saw you out. Next time I'll give ya a yell.

Well after getting a small taste of action on Saturday morning (above) - even though the eyeballs were hanging out from total lack of sleep...I got up at 2am Sunday and got sorted (no @#$livies biting though) however I had bought a few piper and off to Anchorite I set. Burleyed for 2+  #%$%   hours, one little snapper! Then the kingies came in, the birds took to the bait fish I had burleyed up and it was all on! I had up to 30 kingies chasing a retrieved bait - I actually out-reeled the rats to keep them off my line - I was watching them and gauging size to 'choose' which one took the bait. Unbelievable really. The polaroids were out of this world - watching packs of big kingfish all around the boat, smashing the baits right on the surface. Another boat arrived as I had one on.....once they managed to stop drifting right through my burley trail within a few metres of my boat, they anchored up because they were " sick of watching me catch fish". They were great people, a man and wife with livies on board - but the Kingies weren't that interested, the only thing that was really working was fast retrieves on the surface. They hooked into a good one which the lady brought in, great to see and we were all hooting and holloring! Really, really great fun.  A few boats turned up around 11ish  and were trying to hook a few - I left because I was releasing 30lber's and ran out of piper, oh yeah and I was absolutely knackered! My old Shimano Baitrunner 6500 and fibreglass rod was doing the business. 10kg line was all. But a massive grin from ear to ear and some excellent kingfish steaks in the fridge now ! Oh and on other boat got a snapper of about 12lbs - his personal best - great to see too.

This has been a long time in the waiting, a trip like this. I probably hooked and released etc a total of around a dozen 20 to 30 lb Kingfish. And yes I am going to sod-off from work sometime this week and try again!

Cheers all you guys - you've helped a massive amount, there is no way this  would have happened without the information shared here. Now that I am a complete and total expert on Kingfising (ha ha ha ha ...) anything I can help with, let me know. Probably what not to do!! heh

Must sleep..... 

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2006 at 3:06pm

Roath - cheers for the report mate! Yes it was tricky fishing. I thought it might get better on dark and then the phosphorous came out . Still lovely day out with 8 snaps for our effort. Spoke to others at the boat ramp and it ends up we did quite well (some had none).

Quote: Originally posted by Espresso on 09 January 2006

Hey snap - I love that spot where you're anchored - look up the cliff/bush and my place is right there! Nice boat! I saw you out. Next time I'll give ya a yell.

Espresso - do you mean the Wade river (1st pic) or Matiatia hole (2nd pic)?

There was a work up of kahawai at the entrance to the Wade that day (30.12.05) and we drifted quietly through a couple of times, aided by the wind and scored a big sea kahawai each time on floating squid (you probably saw me cleaning them when I anchored). A couple of boats saw us and put out spinners and drove back and forwards through the school so this put a stop to our drifting (alll they managed to do was scare the fish to the bottom and did not seem to be succesful). The family loved the spot and we will be back (give us a holler if you see us)!

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2006 at 3:13pm

Nice work chaps!!!! i lived in Stillwater for 12 years and its fair to say alot of my fishing experiences took place out from there. 15lb snapper whilst tied to the Port hand marker . . .  30lb kings off the reef at the mouth of the Okura. Espresso . .  it sound like me old haunt is now youy front door step ,. . .champion! Will yaz be out fishing this weekend?

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2006 at 6:19pm

Quote: Originally posted by keenason 09 January 2006- "Will yaz be out fishing this weekend?"

Does a fish piss in the Sea?

Either I'll take my boat to work and leave about 3pm, or do a dawn or dusk on the weekend. I believe a place in closer fires this time off the year (Jan can produce consistent 2-3kg fish with bigger ones thrown in). Always good for a look on the way out (sometimes I don't leave).

Mid afternoon Jan 02/04. The kids caught this and a few more. Last year was good too!

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2006 at 8:13am

yeah i know mate . . . dumb question! Im doin the usual 4am launch at Hatfields on staurday and will more than likely do the same on sunday, head to Brazier and see if i cant have a bit of fun with a kingi or two.

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2006 at 8:27am

Sounds good Keenas.

Was gonna do the same but me mate with the boat has something on so may give it a miss this weekend

Hows the forecast looking?

-------------
LedgeNZ LBG

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2006 at 8:47am
weathers not looking to bad at this stage. I'm taking a mate out with me saturday. JK would you be keen to join me on sunday . . . . based on weather etc

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2006 at 9:19am
Keenas - where is Brazier? How far from Hatfields? If its not too far I might tow the boat up and buddy with you (only 4.6mtrs with 50hp - but very reliable).

Posted By: Fish Dish
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2006 at 9:44am

Hi Snap, Braziers is out from Wenderholm. Not that far from Hatfields. Have never launched at Wenderholm as I dont know how much water there is when the tide is out. Does anyone know if you can get in and out of the Wenderholm ramp at low tide.

Would be okay in the evening at the moment as high tide is in the evening but you know what its like when you are fishing, if its good you want to stay and if its bad you stay because it may get to be good.

-------------
One more Kingie

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2006 at 9:45am
Snap . . .  Brazier rock is about a ten minute steam form Hatfields, in a good sea state, Its at the mouth of the puhoi river (Wenderholm regional park). It would be easier to luanch at wenderholm but the gate isnt open till 7am or sometime around then  . . . .  far to late . . . the day is half over by then.

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2006 at 9:47am

Fish Dish . . .  depends on how big your boat is. My brother n law has a haines V198 and can only go 3 hrs either side of the tide. The ramp is of a shallow angle and then it drops into the channel from memory. Dead low tide i think there is only a metre or so of water through the mouth and can be unpleasent on th ebbing

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2006 at 10:13am

keenas - yeah I could be keenas for that, weather permitting ofcourse.

4am launch you say? and backs about when?

-------------
LedgeNZ LBG

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2006 at 10:24am
I'm normally home by 9-9.30am. Where you comin from mate ? And sorry its a 4.45am launch! i get up at 4 . . .

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2006 at 11:05am
Im in glenfield mate so just up the road. That time suits me fine. Keep an eye on the weather and in touch. I'll supply bait - let us know what we need

-------------
LedgeNZ LBG

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2006 at 11:11am

Sweet mate. bag o pillies and a berley bomb.

Snap . ..  whats your plan of attack? gonna buddy up ?

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2006 at 11:21am

Done. Just a 1kg pilly bag?

Can always catch liveys / bait fish anyway eh

One thing i've realised is that we use a ****load less bait and berley out in the boat compared to off the bricks.

-------------
LedgeNZ LBG

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2006 at 11:30am

Keenas - I'm keenas. Sunday looks like an incoming tide and westerly. Lets catch up on Fri/Sat by private messanger or my cell is 021 414 880. What is the best way to fish here for kings (livies, rapala, poppers, Zest). Are there snaps around Brazier?

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2006 at 11:31am
Sorry image didn't work - try this http://www.swellmap.com/showgraph.php?id=487">http://www.swellmap.com/showgraph.php?id=487

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2006 at 12:36pm

Snap . . .  all those methods could get something to hit, kings can be fickle pr#$ks at the best of times. Snapper, may have to go a bit deeper for them . . . to be honest i've not targeted snapper there.

JK . . . I'll grab some salted bonito for catching livies etc. I may even collect a few on saturday morning so all we have to do on sunday morn is get some livies.

lets keep an eye on the weather and think many positive thoughts of hungry kings!!!!!!

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2006 at 12:45pm
Brazier holds snapper but usually a lil further back  off the reef as can be quiet shallow and was pretty clear up there last sunday morning

-------------
LedgeNZ LBG

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2006 at 1:52pm
JK . .  you ok in a 3.6m tinnie?

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2006 at 3:30pm
Yeah bud sweet as

-------------
LedgeNZ LBG

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2006 at 3:19pm

Hey hey hey!!!!

Just to perk things up for ya'll to get out there this weekend - I couln't help myslef this morning, my neighbour and I decided to make a morning fish out wide - landed a couple of nice snapper (7lb) and this 30lb kingie who took got hooked with my brand new big zest jig. Fantastic. Bite time was very short, 1/2 an hour maybe, but good for me!

Can hardly wait to get out again.

Cheers

Espresso.

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2006 at 3:22pm

Great stuff Espresso!!

Ya really know how to make my afternoon at work dontcha!!

Between your report and Steves (BA)'s txts saying hes towing lures around out on the 300m mark I've lost my inspiration for work.....

-------------
LedgeNZ LBG

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2006 at 3:23pm
How far outwide did ya go?

-------------
LedgeNZ LBG

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2006 at 3:41pm
Anchorite :)

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2006 at 4:06pm
Where is anchorite?  How far out from what island??

Posted By: Peter da Squid
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2006 at 4:26pm
bullet, if you drew a line from flatrock(Kawau) to channel island its pretty much a lonely ol'submerged rock in the middle.

Snap- Nice pic of fishing inside Stanley pt. We've had some blinders infront of bayswater in the past with forum chaps Lala, Tobes & Kezz. 12kg kingfish and snaps to nearly 10lb in there 7-8m amongst the moorings. Now and next month is magic.

-------------
Good for Nuthin

Posted By: pleasedelete
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2006 at 4:46pm

Esspresso

Thats a Mighty fine fish mate. They pull like Buggery on those Jig hey....

Well done. I'll Bite my tongue so long behind my desk......They are just getting  fatter and bigger ......Roll on Feb for me........

-------------
Nature Has a way of Ironing the Cowboys out..!!

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2006 at 4:48pm
Sure is Peter, should be on the move heading in there now.

-------------
LedgeNZ LBG

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2006 at 4:59pm

Peter da Squid - I've been fishing there for about 15 years and can guarantee a feed between Jan and March. The spot I was at with the family is the 21 mtr hole. I fished this hole on the Furuno comp 2 years ago (March)and we got our limit between 6-7am in the morn (all fish between 2-4KG). We then went to Kauwau and the fishing was poor compared to this (apart from the morning after the comp when we cleaned up just around the corner from Bon Accord), and got lots of good fish including an 18lber.

The shallows by the harbour bridge (opposite to where the toll gates used to be) also fires at this time of year (got a 15lber there one year whilst watching peek hour traffic going over the bridge in the morning). If you go to about 3-4mtrs in the moorings at bayswater on the low tide and fish the next 2hrs with a strayline and no weight you can catch some good snaps. I believe the fish sit in the hole then come out over the shallows looking for shellfish (thats what they are full of when gutted). Also big kingis there but as I always fish 6kg targetting snapper they soon waste me in the shallows.

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2006 at 5:02pm
BTW Espresso - great fishing (haven't tried my Zest yet - though they look effective).

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2006 at 5:06pm

Actually while heading home over the bridge yesterday I noted a fair few boats anchored up and lines out on both sides on the bridge and also close to where you're talking about snap.

In fact just looked out my office window and theres a few out there now as well.

-------------
LedgeNZ LBG

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2006 at 5:08pm
Yeah mate thats the way! we usually fish at the other end of the day there and same thing watching the cars, buses firetrucks and all drive past. We had a saying when we fished there- " expect the unexpected"

Good onyou mate, you have a huge head start on us

-------------
Good for Nuthin

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2006 at 5:55pm

Yeehaa - did it ever pull like a teenager! I was using piper on retrieve just like the other day but they were pretty cagey and not biting - a few hurls of the zest and wham, I'm on. But just the once. First time success with th=e zest - the splashing and flashing fluffed the big Kings up right through the rats 'get outta my way' kinda thing. This one took off and gave me a great battle - currently chilling in my fridge.

Managed to get into the office for the afternoon and justify my existence. A bit of a clean up tonight while sampling some extra cold suds.....oh what a day. I feel like the proverbial pig.

Now all I need to do is get onto the snapper, which have eluded me most of the time along with those %$%#  bait fish!

That's fishing I guess.

Time for a brew or two.  Ciao

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2006 at 9:52am

Met and had a quick chat with a friendly commercial fisho just out from Tiri on my way back yesterday. Interesting to watch. He also gave a GPS for a 'spot' - which I will try asap of course. I didn't realise a massive drag net could operate so close to where my pathetic little hook and line tries to catch a snapper.

And what stunning start to the day - should be on the water eh?!

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2006 at 9:54am
Hey espresso, we u casting and retreiving the zest jig or doing  st8 up and down drops?

-------------
LedgeNZ LBG

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2006 at 12:22pm
Cast and retrieve along the surface, deep didn't even get a look at.

Posted By: Bounty Hunter
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2006 at 12:38pm
Quote: Originally posted by snap on 11 January 2006

The shallows by the harbour bridge (opposite to where the toll gates used to be) also fires at this time of year (got a 15lber there one year whilst watching peek hour traffic going over the bridge in the morning). If you go to about 3-4mtrs in the moorings at bayswater on the low tide and fish the next 2hrs with a strayline and no weight you can catch some good snaps. I believe the fish sit in the hole then come out over the shallows looking for shellfish (thats what they are full of when gutted). Also big kingis there but as I always fish 6kg targetting snapper they soon waste me in the shallows.

classy stuff Snap - i like it!

-------------
Death - Our community's #1 killer

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2006 at 3:39pm
Theres alot to be said for fishing ya feet first. Hey snap are ya still looking at budying up on sunday? if so . . any chance of bring those snapper tracking skills????

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2006 at 10:20am

I hope to make it Keenas. I have a sick child at the moment and need to see how he goes in the next few days. I'll know by Saturday late afternoon and can post you a [personal message].

Did Bayswater yesterday afternoon (putting my money where my mouth is). I got 6 good snaps (over 35cm) and had fun with juvinille kingis on 6kg (lots of throw backs though). Nothing big and not as good as last year this time - but still a feed.

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2006 at 10:24am
Nice work there snap!! as for sunday send me a text or give us a call, will pm you with me number. Family first mate! Hope your young one gets well!

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2006 at 12:58pm

AWESOME snap! Jealousy plus here.

Right - sounds like the gauntlet has been thrown down for fishing the feet first. I reckon Sat night at Arkles Bay cliffs might be alright for a (fish) fight?! Incoming, out of any westerly, literally at my feet, a few cold ones......yep sounds great to me, and if I catch a snapper or two.....! Hoowee!

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2006 at 1:09pm
Nice one Snap!
good luck with the inner fishing fellas, its amazing at the action you can have in and around the bottom of town.

-------------
Good for Nuthin

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2006 at 2:15pm

Thanks fellow fishing finatics!

You go for it Espresso. Tight lines. The Kingis seem to be in close too. I got my P.B on New Years day 06 in 10mtrs of water about 30 mtrs from the rocks (58LB)...so if you get a livie could be an idea to put it down on a JD rig. We were getting JD's and  kingis doing this off taka cliffs in early December 05.

To see Kingi http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=5&TopicID=12255&PagePosition=2">http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=5&TopicID=12255&PagePosition=2

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2006 at 2:11pm

Went out with keenas and JK this morning. Thanks for the invite keenas had a great time.

We caught livies and chased the kingis. We fished Braziers (caught small kings and a decent snapper on livies). Then moved to the 20 meter mark - and the water was blue and 22.C (only small snaps and big slimies).

Keenas and JK got on to the boil ups at spot X (I'll leave it up to keenas to elaborate).

Hey keenas fished a little reef 300 metres from here and used the slimy macs. Got 3 good fish to finish (bloody good those slimies).

Again thanks for putting me on to the fish Keenas!

Once your kid arrives - Lets go west for snaps trevs carrots and kingis etc.

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2006 at 3:26pm
Yep good fun had by all.

4.45am launch and well worth it. Arrived at brazier in the dark and had heaps of yellowtail, kahawai and a small king in the berley by light. Picked up a small one there on a livey and then decided to go for a snapper fish.

However ran into a small workup and a good school of kings on the way and it was action on double hookups for the next hour or so on poppers and even pillies. Had around 20 of them straight under the boat and many more within casting distance. Landed about 8 kings all up with only 2 of them over legal size. Kept one for dinner tonight mmm. Good fun tho especially the one caught on 6kg!

Cheers for the dawny mission lads and must do it all again!

-------------
LedgeNZ LBG

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2006 at 3:37pm
laying in to one of the kings on the baitcaster

keenas - cheers again mate and PM me your email and can send through some others

-------------
LedgeNZ LBG

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2006 at 8:31am

Gentlemen . .   it was a pleasure.!!!!!!!!!!! JK has summed it up fairly nicely!!!!  Snap, i will take you up on the offer of the west mission.

Could be more missions of the same nature i think. JK your welcome and anytime! Snap . ..  nice work mate, bloody good effort to travel as far as you did. Stoked you got a few

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2006 at 9:14am

Thanks keenas, looking forward to doin it all again sometime.

Good to meet ya also snap!

-------------
LedgeNZ LBG

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2006 at 8:11am

I just can't stand it anymore!!

Been on land, looking at the sea - and now the big 'H' arrives for the weekend   Sounds like an early morning trip out to somewhere, and chase the birds could be the ticket?

Right, get sorted at the orifice/office this morning and the play sodoffski for the arvo - hey maybe and evening 'practice fish'....

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2006 at 8:21am

Right on Espresso

Looking to do a dawny tomorow, launch by 5am. Suppose to be a NE swell up to 1m rolling down the coast tho...

-------------
LedgeNZ LBG

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2006 at 9:34am
Hey Espresso great minds think alike. I have the boat at work today and will be leaving about 3pm. Probably going to leave from Westhaven and go out to Matiatia first then in close off Waiheke for a dark fish in the shallows. I'll PM you my mobile if you want to catch up at some stage.

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2006 at 11:26am

I'll race ya out there Snap 

Sitting at the computer, checked all the weather, I'm outta here asap!

Thought I'd better load a pic of my boat......I don't have a decent one, guess that could be something to do this weekend. This is the only shot I got - so if you see me 'gis a yell! Call sign Espresso if anyone on the VHF, although most of the time I switch the thing off - there's only so many Trip Reports you can listen to. Channel 62 has a bit more real life chatter?

Tiri, LBarrier, a huge mission to G Barrier, Anchorite, the 'worm beds'.....looks like a bit more office planning time. I wish Google Earth had the sea bed as well as land, it's freaky, I can see my boat parked beside my house on it!! Scary detail.

Tight lines...

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2006 at 11:35am
Hey Espresso

Nice looking boat. What colour (Dark Green, Black)? Make? Any markings?

Whilst the plan is Matiatia first I could end up anywhere on a day like today. I may even give Stanley point a try first on the way out (2pm should be good there - 2hrs after high was consistent last year at this time).

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2006 at 12:09pm
Those barcrushers are Sweeet!

-------------
Good for Nuthin

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2006 at 10:02pm

<SCRIPT language=javascript> Yeah baby! She's a 6.1m Surtee's Barcrusher with a 150 Yamaha strapped on the back - she gives me a woody. Black with Gold 'Surtee's' on the side (haven't put her name on yet, shortly), only goes 5kts and 30  

So anyway, I went out this arvo' - on the water around 2pm, took a sodoff pill at work and it worked! Stunning sunshine as I launch, bristling with antici....................................................................pation.

Nice and smooth through to Tiri, thought of new one of for Tui adverts soon after.......

Slight sea

Yeah Right.

So in my ignorance I set off for Anchorite, Piper, beer, lures, squidgies, ice....all sorted

The last 15 minutes were rough, the sea lept up and bit back. No worries, nearly there, it's gonna calm down giving me a nice few hours building up to official bite time, niiiiiiiiiicce.

Rockin' and Rollin' a bit as I get a bit-o-bait organised, biff a Piper out on the Baitrunner and proceed to throw the big Zest around (Shimano TN30, 24kg braid, 80lb mono trace, silstar graphite) . I'm on! Awesome. Felt an odd nudge or two on the way down, then on the fast retrieve, wham, no muckin' about.

Felt that feeling of a hook pulling, fish acting a bit like a big Snapper, with a touch of Kingi? Not only did the line go slack, but the braid snapped at the swivel............I had not changed the knot and it had previously had a wrestle with that beauty of a 30lb Kingi

Some fish has a very flash looking lip-ring. I was soon to find out, probably, what type of fishes were in residence. I hurridly put on a jig I had and it was getting annnoyed by something about 40ft off the bottom. I checked the sounder and there were a ton of bait fish.....ooooohooh this is gonna be a goodie. Cranked the handle and smack, on came a fish, a good fighter that took a fair bit of line. A big Trev (appx 5lb). Fantastic - on ice ready for fresh smoked, maybe Sashimi?

And that was about it. A small snapper, a couple of cod..oh yeah and the wind was now 30kts! With waves breaking, I figure I'm outta here, this is getting ridiculous.

It was a big sea coming home, but with the swell, tide and wind all in unison it was quite an enjoyable trip really.

Were you mad enough to go out Snap?

Posted By: tobez
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2006 at 6:25am
hey espresso, nice rig, you should post a picciee under blokes and thier boats thread then we can recognise ya out there...

-------------
Waikato North Harbourmaster...Got a Nav Safety question for the Waikato region?...call me 021705642 or download the app Marine Mate!

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2006 at 11:59am
Yep I was mad enough Espresso.

Only got 8 snaps and hard work with the bloody wind in the Motohuie channel (big swells). So much for the met service forecast (5 knts variable)!

Also got a hammerhead off taka later in the night.

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2006 at 1:03pm

<SCRIPT language=javascript> 8 snapper - great!  Yeah it was hard work out there. Waking to the Pohutukawa's doing the twist didn't inspire much this morning (Sat.).

Thanks Roath -  I spent  a few years with a 12.5 ft Fyran with 15hp on the back. A really good fishing outfit and I tried a 5.5m Marco one year. Then a mate let me use his 7.5m Lazercraft for the best part of a year! After having that there was no hope for me, it was true lust   Having the luxury of a nice boat and a year to sort out exactly what I wanted was very cool. I spent a heap of time with my head in magazines and gawking at the boat shows. Made a wish list and set myself a budget of $45k.

Tui

Well I blew that budget by nearly an extra 20k! But she's my fishing machine and does exactly what I want her for. Fast fish hunts both for me and my 7yr old (he's hooked for life too now, continuining my Dad's (LBG) favour to me).

To me the Surtee's Barcrusher was the ultimate fish hunting machine for the money, including being nice eye candy (to me). She is hardcore enough, really smooth with several hundred kg of ballast on demand, and it's obviously been designed by real fishermen, the hand holds, the see through bait tank, pull out sun/rain shade - the entire setup is highly efficient and clutter free. With everything folding away it has a massive fishing area to walk around in with no chance of tripping over 'stuff', just heaps of clever stuff you'd expect to see on some fanatic's boat who owns an aluminium engineering business.

I got the SS because now I 'needed' the V8! I mostly enjoy fishing by myself so single handed launch & retrieve was a must as well. All good I reckon.

Waiting for the wind to drop...

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2006 at 5:41pm

I started with a 12.5 ft Fyran with 9.9hp on the back and fished out of this for 10 years. I now have the Marco 4.6 with a 50hp. I almost purchased an older 5.5 but then the 4.6 came along and I decided it would do the job until I could afford a 6-7mtr HT boat.

Guess what I have been looking at getting this year (Surtees 6.1, Marco 6.1 HT, McLay 6.1 HT). Seems like great minds do think alike. All I need now is for a mate to lend me his boat for half a year till I get mine (then it would be spooky).

My budget is about 40K so it looks like a secondhand boat. I already have a good towing wagon (Musso with 3.2ltr mercedes motor @ 225hp), purchased for the purpose of towing a bigger boat (hardly notice I'm towing the 4.6).

Oh well I better get the BBQ going and throw some snaps on (looks like fish for dinner again).

Here is the Hammerhead from last night.

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2006 at 9:57pm

Looks like the hammerhead got hammered snap.

-------------
One more Kingie

Date Posted: 23 Jan 2006 at 9:08am

Lucky to get that flasher rig back and it's not twisted beyond repair either!

Sunday came - no fishing relief so I decided to check out Omaha ramp etc. What a great day, went to Takatu point - I can see why you rock hoppers go there, what an awesome spot. Had a swim, boogie board, icecream - you know all the good stuff of summer.

The ramp slope is very gradual - the back of the car is definitely going to get a dunking, but it IS close to LB, GB and the Mokes. So apart from trying to to become a statistic among the car-morons on the way home, all thoughts were to the next off shore expedition. I reckon it has to be the Needles or Mokes...oh yeah once the wind warnings have ceased!

Anyone get out on Sat or Sun?

Date Posted: 23 Jan 2006 at 10:46am

yeah we got on on sat morning espresso and got into a few pannies up to 47cm just off baywater and up at kauri pt.

Theres a post on it re inner harbour 21 Jan

-------------
LedgeNZ LBG

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2006 at 9:11am

Good stuff JK!

What does everyone do with Mao mao? It never ceases to amaze me just how many there are out there. Trying to get my bait through them or trying to get Mack's is difficult with so many Mao mao! Don't big fish eat them? No-one seems to use them as livies, are they good for anything?

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2006 at 9:34am
Espresso - I used to live on Great Barrier 20 years ago (where I got addicted to fishing - if we didn't catch fish we didn't eat). Caught many 20lb + fish on handlines off the rocks with a 10/0 hook and whole crab for bait (we never took bait or berley as it was all around us on the rocks....but that's another story)

The blue Mao Mao is one of the finest fish I have ever had smoked (apart from the Porae). You need small hooks to catch them tho and they get quite big over there.

Another great eating fish is the Leather Jacket. Easy to cook and eat, with their leathery skin (no preparation necessary just pop them in the fire and when ready peel back the skin which acts like tin foil only better).

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2006 at 10:06am
Re the maomao just butterfly them and get em out in they burley trail. ahve picked up some great snappes on this bait b4

-------------
LedgeNZ LBG

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2006 at 12:38pm

Good news that JK...I've been wondering if they're any good for bait or whether they're just a pain in the burley trail.

I just checked out the latest isobars and weather report - looks like the storm out there today will blow over and tomorrow evening (could be a Tui coming up) the sea is predicted to be smooth!!!

Well I'm keen! So everything will be rigged up and ready to go for a Wed. evening fish. Now I'll assume that in close around Whangaparaoa will be crap due to the sand and dirty water everywhere - so I'll go out a bit further if possible. Oooh I'm imagining it's going to go flat oily smooth by midday with a calm night after - I'd be heading to Omaha for a thrash out to the Mokes!

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2006 at 12:57pm
lucky bugger!

-------------
LedgeNZ LBG

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2006 at 1:32pm

bit of envy going on here Espresso . . . must be nice to get out when ya want to. i guess it gives me a bit of a goal.

The good ol' Mokes aye . . so when are JK and i joing you for a mission out there? what ya reckon JK?

Date Posted: 25 Jan 2006 at 10:10am
Big high comming on Thursday Espresso. Looks like your dream will come true - but on Thursday!!!

Date Posted: 25 Jan 2006 at 10:23am

Yeehaaaa!

Just looked at Metservice again - that H is getting closer alright! I have all  day Sat and Sun booked up with non-fishing, so it's either before (yay) or after on Monday - all depends on that wind I guess.

Bought myself a throw net for bait fish. So far, it works - if smacking the bait on the head with a big lump of net and lead weights is the aim.....need more practice to make it fan-out somehow?

Espresso

Date Posted: 25 Jan 2006 at 11:15am
Espresso - I have one too. You need to practice on a field. These are great in shallow water as they fan out and the weights hit the bottom then envelope the fish. Not very good out the back of the boat in deeper water tho (all the fish swim down and out before you get it to the boat).

Posted By: Mr Bean
Date Posted: 25 Jan 2006 at 2:51pm
Hey expresso.......don't be afraid of the dirty water after a storm......in fact go find, it all that dirty water is full of stuff the snaps are feeding on!! Snaps are scavangers and I have had some of my best fishing in dirt water after a storm....they also seem to be pretty carefree probably due to them feeling safe due to the lo visability and you can have some success even in the middle of the day in shallows where normally you would have to fish in lo light conditions.

Date Posted: 25 Jan 2006 at 10:36pm

Have to agree with you Mr Bean, when the bottom has been stirred up the 'snappers' will be in snapper heaven, pigging out on all the stuff that has been turned up.

They will also, as you say, be less frightened as they think they are hidden in the clouded water.

-------------
One more Kingie

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2006 at 10:01am
Amen to that lads...some of the best fishing I have had in close off taka is after the storm when the water is cloudy and the horse mussel shells are washed up along the coast!!!

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2006 at 12:30pm

You guys are pushing me over the edge!!!!!!

15kt SE - in other words - crap conditions on the water.

However I think a quick trip home to look at the water - if she's good lookin' I feel a sudden need for mental health, i.e. fishing.....

I'm off to 'ave a look!

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2006 at 1:04pm

Nothing compared to what you went out wide in last Friday...

and ya don't have to go far...

also there must be somewhere in close where you can get out of the wind and throw a big bloody bait for that big moocher...

go on do it...

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2006 at 3:12pm

Well I went and had a look, listened to NOW-casting....

Channel Island Peak 30kts, average 25

Tiri Peak 25kts, average 17

All from E/SE.

YUK. So unhooked and skulked back to work. I guess I'm saving myself!?

Posted By: Mr Bean
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2006 at 4:23pm
South easterlies.......better to save your brownies.....though after this big blow could still be worth a looksie

Print Page | Close Window