Print Page | Close Window

Lunker City Slug-Go

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: Soft Bait Fishing
Forum Description: Anything to do with this latest and greatest way of catching our favourite species
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=121487
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 11:46am

Topic: Lunker City Slug-Go
Posted By: Ahi_Slayer
Subject: Lunker City Slug-Go
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 11:38am
Hey guys, 

Anyone ever used Slug-Go baits before?

I have had so much luck with them in Aussie on Kingfish... Would imagine they would work on everything out there
Curious as my mate back home is sending me a bunch 6" 9" 10" and 12" some rigged and some unrigged. 

Replies:
Posted By: Uncle
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 11:44am
Yes, have caught plenty of harbour kings on the Slug-Go, especially the 7" SS in Alewife.
One of the best piper imitations out there. 

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 11:49am
Nice!

Yeah swim just like a piper. 

How do you rig them? Work hook style? or jig head?

I found the rigged setups are pretty mean.

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 11:59am
I found that jigheads worked just fine Big smile

Posted By: The Tamure Kid
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 2:17pm
Uncle, did you ever have a crack with the Bozos 'Kingie Kruncher' which looks like a replica of the Slug-Go?

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 3:15pm
No, never tried them Lester.

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 3:31pm
Thanks Uncle. 

I'm compiling an arsenal to try for harbour kingies off the shore and near estuaries in Auckland this summer, and that includes a few big soft baits. So far I've got some Storm paddle tails which LBGers use with success for kingies in Australia. 

At the recent boat show, kayak expert Stephen Tapp did a talk and showed a rig he's using for kingies from the yak (given it's very hard to stick bait at water level).  He's flicking big Z Man paddle tail softies - I think they were brought in, in limited numbers by Mahiman but they are readily available from the US. Mag Swimz. There's a nice piper colour.

Smoky Shad

Posted By: Downtown
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 3:51pm
Zmans in opening night are a very good piper impersonator i've only seen them in 4" paddlerz here but got some 5" paddlerz and some of the big boy 8" shads sent in. Haven't given the 8" ones a good shot yet but the 5" paddlerz go pretty good hardest part is catching the buggers on softy gears with a foul bottom.

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 4:10pm
haha, yes. Hooking them is one thing, landing another.
Last summer I hooked a reasonable one which zoomed out from a under marker buoy and nailed my integrated weight Storm Wild Eye shad softbait paddle tail in baitfish colours which I'd let sink down on the other side of the buoy, then did a fast retrieve with a few pauses. Amazing action underwater.
Anyway, the fish zoomed around the chain/rope and after a bit of rubbing I got my soft bait back with a very bent hook.

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 4:47pm
I've got excess Slug-Gos if you are interested...

9" albino 9" rigged and 12" if you are keen, let me know in PM

Posted By: Espresso
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 7:26pm
I like the look of them, and have thrown a few around - would really like to be drifting past a headl;and out Barrier and cast them around for a swim, their action is very good to my eyes in the water for kingi's
I have thought about rigging them differently for worm eating snapper just out over the general gulf paddocks...strayline kinda so the sluggo acts like a worm out of the mud...could be good!

Posted By: Barbary B
Date Posted: 07 Oct 2016 at 1:50pm
Try these for Kings in the harbour

-------------
"Look ahead, look astern, look to weather, look to lea
Look down along the coast of High Barbary..."

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by Ahi_Slayer Ahi_Slayer wrote:

I've got excess Slug-Gos if you are interested...

9" albino 9" rigged and 12" if you are keen, let me know in PM

Thanks Ahi. I should be okay, I picked up some 9" Slug-gos in 'Alewife' after reading one of Uncle's earlier postings re them for kingies a while back. Unfortunately I missed the memo about the 7" ones being the best size! Will have to search online for anyone stocking that size in the US.
While searching through my box of big soft baits marked 'Kingies' (optmistically), I also found a packet of 7" Tsunamis which are similar to the 6" Storm shads. Integrated weight, but with a stronger hook.

THose Savage Gear lures look amazing in the water. The mullet colour in the US looks the go for some of the east coast harbours where kingies hunt grey mullet in the summer. Slow trolling the channels could be interesting.

Posted By: laidbackdood
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 9:32am
They do weighted jig heads for them.......the 9 inch alewife with either a 9/0 or 10/0 weighted hook........think they are half ounce and three quarter ounce.......solid hook.......a little hard to rig but worth it.

-------------
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.

Posted By: Kezza
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 11:58am
Here is a pix from June 2006:

9", 6", 5" and 3"….Those Lunker City baits are awesome!

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 12:23pm
Good one Kezza, thanks for sharing that. Was that monster worm hook in the 9" supplied with the lures?

Did you add a ball sinker right up to the hook, or fish Carolina with a short trace?

Funny - if you search Slug-go on the site, back in those days they consistently featured, if not dominated the list of favourite 'go to' soft baits for those who must have been among the first adopters of soft bait in NZ. 

But Slug-gos obviously got swamped by the Pure Fishing juggernaut and probably other vagaries of the market.
Still pretty popular in the US, it seems. For stripers and bass.

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by Barbary B Barbary B wrote:

Try these for Kings in the harbour

I see Top Catch has these for $50 this week as a 'best deal'. Can be bought for half that online from the US (Tackle Direct and others). A good option for people with a YouShop account, which is very economic shipping from North America.

Posted By: Espresso
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 1:48pm
Rigging them Whacky style i.e. just once through crossway in the centre I have seen used...for such fish as snapper. Could be a good trick on when the snapper have their heads down after worms.
Kingis streamlined for sure, worm hook with ball sinker or a jighead, spin rod cast and hold on tight.

Posted By: Kezza
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

Good one Kezza, thanks for sharing that. Was that monster worm hook in the 9" supplied with the lures?

Did you add a ball sinker right up to the hook, or fish Carolina with a short trace?

Funny - if you search Slug-go on the site, back in those days they consistently featured, if not dominated the list of favourite 'go to' soft baits for those who must have been among the first adopters of soft bait in NZ. 

But Slug-gos obviously got swamped by the Pure Fishing juggernaut and probably other vagaries of the market.
Still pretty popular in the US, it seems. For stripers and bass.

All good - yeah the worm hook was supplied…think there were several in each pack of 3 9" baits.

Yeah just added appropriate egg sinkers to cast or get to the required depth vs drift…pretty much equivalent to what is being marketed as "sliders" now I guess.

And you are right - Slug-Gos where all the rage there for awhile….an aussie mate of mine introduced me to them during one of the first episodes of The ITM Fishing Show…..then sent me a bunch of sizes and colours across the ditch….from there the rest is history.

There wasn't really a distribution network for retailers here in NZ, so was an easy one for Gulp.

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 24 Oct 2016 at 4:16am
Originally posted by Kezza Kezza wrote:

Yes ....the worm hook supplied with the 9 inch ones but personally ...i didnt trust that hook for what i was targeting....big snapper and kings........you are better off with the lunker weighted hook.....size 9/0 for the 9 inch ones.......a little hard to thread through and they must be rigged straight but a solid hook for big fish........i got mine from tackle direct in the states i think...strong asWink

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Oct 2016 at 10:12am
Originally posted by laidbackdood laidbackdood wrote:

Originally posted by Kezza Kezza wrote:

Yes ....the worm hook supplied with the 9 inch ones but personally ...i didnt trust that hook for what i was targeting....big snapper and kings........you are better off with the lunker weighted hook.....size 9/0 for the 9 inch ones.......a little hard to thread through and they must be rigged straight but a solid hook for big fish........i got mine from tackle direct in the states i think...strong asWink

good info LBD.

And for weighting a running ball sinker, or fixed with a rubber band/tied in a Lefty's Loop?

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 5:36am
I never used any weight..........i think these are 9/16 of an ounce or something silly like that...I can check if someone wants me too........i just uni knot ...there is an eye at the end that the photo doesnt show....if you wind fast you can skitter it across the surface but it has no problem sinking........short stabs and long pauses are the way to go....equally effective on big snaps and kings.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 3:58pm
Good to know, thanks for the response.

I think I may have mentioned higher up that kayak expert Stephen Tapp is using the 8" Z Man paddle tails unweighted as a kingie surface skitter lure in close to the wash, so it sounds like he's doing a similar technique to you.
Horses for courses, as they say.

Posted By: NICKed
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 11:07pm
There's a couple of 12" on trademe

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 8:23am
Hey Guys, 

If you are keen I have some Slug-gos for sale

6inch
9inch
12inch 

Also have some rigged 12 inch in Angry Squid. Rigged work so good, can be slow trolled, casted, whatever you want to do really. 

PM if you are interested

Posted By: SparseGreyHackle
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2023 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by Ahi_Slayer Ahi_Slayer wrote:

Hey Guys, 

If you are keen I have some Slug-gos for sale

6inch
9inch
12inch 

I am interested if you still have any.  I am the ChCh area right now.

Posted By: Bertiesdad
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2023 at 9:11am
The for sale post is more than six years old….just saying

Posted By: SparseGreyHackle
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2023 at 10:52am
Yup, six years old...but can you hear the desperation in my voice? 

Posted By: MB
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2023 at 11:30am
There's some good alternatives available now, Zman HeroZ and Catch 10" Livies. 

Posted By: Kandrew
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2023 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by MB MB wrote:

Hi MB what rod have you been running these on, I’m thinking of casting them on my stickbait rod for kings.

Posted By: MB
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2023 at 3:35pm
Yes, PE 4-5 rod for me. Don't underestimate the weight of the soft plastic itself and match the total weight of the softie plus jig head to the rod. Found that out the hard way!

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 10:33am
Originally posted by SparseGreyHackle SparseGreyHackle wrote:

Yup, six years old...but can you hear the desperation in my voice? 

There are several NZ outlets selling them online in various sizes including the pre-rigged 12" - e.g Yeehaa. Pricey, but available. Any reason you're not grabbing some from them if you're at desperation stage?

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 10:36am
Originally posted by MB MB wrote:

Yes, Andre Kassal who is linked with Ocean Angler has caught quite a few Auckland harbour channel marker kingies on the Heroz, and the YouTuber 'Moocher Hunter' (Tony) has got some from the shore. I have tried a few times rigged on 1oz jigheads on PE4, but no luck so far.

Print Page | Close Window