Forum Name: Rod Building
Forum Description: Rod building chat here
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=116822
Printed Date: 30 Mar 2024 at 4:19am

Topic: Help applying epoxy to guides
Posted By: muchalls
Subject: Help applying epoxy to guides
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 10:08am
I'm about to finish a 12wt rod (half completed many moons ago)
My first rod and a few guides I'd glued last time I worked on it went a bit barrel shaped- Thi ends and bulging in the middle.
What's the best way to avoid this?
Is it from too much glue or should I wait for it to firm up slightly?

Replies:
Posted By: MarkE
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 10:39am
Too much epoxy most likely. Best to apply 3-4 thin coats brushing lengthwise. Also make sure the blank is dead level and the rotating speed is not to fast or to slow...

-------------
Sea Strike 18' Centre Console - Under Construction.... http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/sea-strike-18-build-thread_topic87723_page1.html" rel="nofollow - Build Thread here

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 11:04am
Thanks.
I use a BBQ rotisserie motor to turn the rod

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 11:06am
I will need to check the level though as one section is the grip and probably sitsat an angle

Posted By: Xtoad
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 1:28pm
Too much epoxy combined with too fast rotation pronounces that effect. Your rotisserie way well be too slow though. As above light, multiple coats. The first coat leaves ridges around the thread when I apply it lightly. After application I let it rest without rotating for a minute or two, remove any saggy, drippy bits at the bottom then do what mark says and do lengthwise brushing to even out. In effect you are trying to remove as much of it as you can, it will retain what it needs.
What epoxy are you using?

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 10:15pm
Pro Kote.
More sparse application seems to have helped. Looking at my first rod it was definitely too much epoxy, causing a big teardrop mid wrap.
Thanks for the advice

Print Page | Close Window