Print Page | Close Window

Land based for kids around Christchurch?

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Destinations
Forum Name: Canterbury
Forum Description: Advice and info for fishing the Canterbury region
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=115641
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 12:02am

Topic: Land based for kids around Christchurch?
Posted By: MiletNZ
Subject: Land based for kids around Christchurch?
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 9:09pm
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend some spots to take my wee ones fishing for Mullet or similar species, in Canterbury? 

So far the only good spot we have is Stewarts Gully but I would like to venture somewhere else for a try.

When we were kids we had so many spots to choose from, some of our favourites once a week were; Sumner yacht club - which seems like its a no fish zone now? and the one across the bay is now just a bunch of rotten piles, Brighton pier - which is lined with crab pots and never much room on the good days, Lytleton harbour - can't fish there anymore, Black Rock - I don't think I'd trust my 5 year old walking there the path is eroding away, Birdlings Flat - The kids won't enjoy surfcasting and will just spend there time throwing stones at me haha. Heaps more when we were younger but now which ones are worth a go?

Anyone had much luck at Akaroa, Wainui or Diamond Harbour jetties?

Any help will be much appreciated!! 

Replies:
Posted By: ChrisBenitez
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 8:28pm
Have you tried in Okains Bay? If you take a look on google maps you can see the mouth of that river,  right on that corner I caught plenty of mullet and is a good place for kids. I leave you the coordinates below.
Good luck.

-43.690810, 173.059409

Posted By: OneWayTraffic
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 7:18pm
What about the river mouths for kahawai or sea trout?

Posted By: LBGer
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 10:40am
Pick the right day for leather jackets at Boulder bay, collect mussels at low tide....or buy from the supermarket...

-------------
A king on the bricks is worth 5 in a boat.

Print Page | Close Window