Forum Name: Fisheries Management
Forum Description: Anything to do with fisheries management here please
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=115537
Printed Date: 17 Apr 2024 at 2:06am

Topic: Sounders?
Posted By: Cpt.Pugwash
Subject: Sounders?
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 10:56am
Is NOW the time to consider slowing down the technological slaughtering/entrapment of fish at BOTH commercial and recreational levels?
In other words give the schools of fish a better chance!  

Replies:
Posted By: MacSkipper
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 11:00am
Cpt Pugwash you can fish old school but I am more than happy with my Garmin Fish Finder!

I think the moderators might have a go at you on this one?

-------------
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.

Posted By: pjc
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 11:05am
Puggy whats next ban hooks??

-------------
Sex at 58.Lucky I live at 56

Posted By: Coochdog
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 11:08am
Banning Pugwit hopefully..

Posted By: robbosaur
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 11:14am
The Black Pig sets sail yet again in search of prey ...

Posted By: mint1
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 11:21am
Pugwit. PUG OFF.

Posted By: cirrus
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 11:25am
Dont think they should be banned,its personal choice. They have a purpose for certain types of fishing.

For me i DO NOT use a fishfinder ,chart plotter or any similar device. I also never use burley.

This is my choice. On past boats have had fishfinders. Found they did the finding for me and I began to lose my instincts on finding fish. Somehow lost that sharpness that being on the water provided.

So now choose not to use one. I like to fish by observation,keeping notes ,certain places fish well at certain times of year, fish that feed on certain foods at others. Also aware that certain tide heights will produce when others wont.etc etc. Birds are also my fish finder. I get to know areas ,depth contours without one. Figure that if i cant catch fish by using my senses then i dont deserve to catch them. Like wise i never use burley anymore,and have found very little difference in catch rates. Go to a area where there is natural food and fish are feeding and you will catch them without burley.

But got to say i do get some strange comments and looks for not having a finder.Smile

Posted By: Capt Asparagus
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 12:10pm
It s not the fishfinder that kills the fish, it is the fisherman using it. The better answer would be to ban motors in boats, commercial and recreational, to emphasis a more purist approach to the fishing experience.
By reducing the range of the boats fishermen use, the further reefs, outer islands etc would quickly regenerate and act as natural fish resources to feed in to the inner, reachable, waters, basically making the whole country more than a mile or two from port a huge marine reserve.
This ban would also mean an end to trawling and seining by the commercial fleet as they would no longer have the horsepower to haul nets etc, nor the speed to chase down school fish such as tunas etc.
I mean, you can make a case for banning ANYTHING, hell, that is the base state for your greenies, but realistically....yeah, nah.
Tell you what though, you try it first, see how that works for you.

-------------
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.

Posted By: smelli
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by Cpt.Pugwash Cpt.Pugwash wrote:

Is NOW the time to consider slowing down the technological slaughtering/entrapment of fish at BOTH commercial and recreational levels?
In other words give the schools of fish a better chance!  

-------------
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=717361

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 12:24pm
My question is simply a "dialogue" one.......Golfers have a number of  build restrictions, Yacht federations.......etc....
The current topic is about restricting fishing zones, methods,changing of nets, chronological changes, so it seems to me that electronical fishing equipment could be considered?   

Posted By: Muppet
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 12:33pm
Puggy your a twat. Are you really a fisherman or a greenie just trying it on? 100% twat though   

Posted By: kitno
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 12:35pm
I'm with cirrus on this one. Don't have one, don't need one. I use instinct.

Posted By: bop strayliner
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 12:51pm
I think his profile picture says it all! 🙊

-------------
Just one more cast!!!

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 1:06pm
Problem is, instinct isn't going to find you a pin in 120m of water ten km from the nearest land. A sounder/GPS will.
However, no motor, and you would not need the sounder as you'd never get that far out anyhow......
Seriously? (And that ain't easy given the absurdity of this thread), if you eliminate a sounder, then next there will be those who will have sinkers (lead, bad stuff!) banned, then ban nylons/fluorocarbon/braids as these are serious marine pollutants, so we would need to go back to ecologically sound linen lines.
And I tell ya, none of that is gonna happen either.
So no, there is no possible point or need to ban marine electronics. Controls on the harvesting of our fishes is far more simply and easily done by the bag limit laws.
Eliminating sounders or gps's would in fact be removing a crucially important safety and navigation tool from boat...from a boat safety viewpoint you may be better off suggesting that sounders and GPS devices be made mandatory on any and all boats.

-------------

Posted By: Snappa Geoff
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 1:13pm
Love  e'm or hate him no matter wot Puggy posts he gets replies and lots of e'm. Look at his own version of Whitianga's fishing report 13,800 hits and still going. Surely must be a recordLOL Puggy on your latest topic, have never owned or used fishfinders or electronics, dont need them.With Snapper my fishing methods i wait till fish come to you. Can't see how they have an advantage, disadvantage if you ask me. Lots i know drive all over the show looking for fish moving when no bites, and end of the day little to show for it.

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 1:50pm
I have often pinpointed one fish on my fishfinder and caught it. More often a school and literally watch the fish eat the bait live on the screen, you will be shocked how fast a snapper covers 10m to intercept a falling bait. Its better than any sport on TV in fact its better than anything on TV. LOL

Puggy loves a wind up for sure it is the only bite he gets though. BUT it is kind of ruining the forum someone said it before all the good guys have gone mainly down to fact we get idiots like him. There is having a different opinion but there is no need to be a wind up just about every day on here and provide zero input. 

Posted By: Lethal
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 2:03pm
thinking back to when we never had all the above gadjets,
we caught way more fish then than now, we had no limit on any fish at all,
then the the Labour Government "David Lang" did the dirty on us and GAVE the fish "Long story short" to the fishing companies,

when the first sounders come out, it was after World War 2,
My Uncle owned the Florence Kennedy the sounder was a round ring which bleeped every time it found fish, 
charter those days would be with 20 to 30 fishermen all with handlines and a woven sack to keep your fish in, no plastic bags back then.

within a few year the fish were being screwed by Fishing companies demanding more fish from their boats,

now it was getting serous, less fish, we copped it fair between the eyes within a span of about 20 years we had a reduction in snapper from no  restrictions to 60 to 30 to 20 to 15 to 10/9 to now 7 
all because the Fishing companies could not catch the allocation they had been given fast enough,

my Grandfather was a excellent fisherman, we had a clinker built boat with a Seagull on the back, we went no further out than Browns Bay reef, we lined up everything via land marks then dropped the anchour.

i continually fished like this till i was 40 years old infact my land marks were so accurate i never need any gadgets until i started working for fishing tackle company now i had to venture further away from AK hence the reason i first started using them and i believe this is were they come into there own...

if you need any proof of my above story say so i will put up photos so you can see for your self.       

-------------
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing

Posted By: Olfart
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 2:05pm
I think a far off village beneath a high mountain is calling for it's idiot to be returned....

-------------
Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 2:09pm
Had a finder once.would show fish but caught none.no fish on screen and catch fish.it was a hunninbird 1993 model.still got some where.no days use depth finder to locate pins and paper chart to see what sort of bottom we are on

-------------

Posted By: REIVER
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 2:23pm
What about this Pugsy? Best piece of technology I have invested in.

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 2:29pm
Lol, probably the best of the lot..... 😊

-------------

Posted By: mike_e
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 3:09pm
Not much I can say to the original poster except "ba ha ha ha ha ha ha ha , good one noddy"

-------------
If you can go home and pull a $100 bill out , and flush it down the toilet, and if that doesn't bother you, then go ahead and buy a boat

Posted By: salty69
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 3:35pm
I find the GPS more useful than the sounder. Ive bern fishing from Tairua long enough to know when to go where and, what to do when we get there and it seems to get me by.

Capt A hit the nail on the head, a little thing called Safety.

Posted By: Snappa Geoff
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by Lethal Lethal wrote:

we caught way more fish then than now, we had no limit on any fish at all,
then the the Labour Government "David Lang" did the dirty on us and GAVE the fish "Long story short" to the fishing companies,

when the first sounders come out, it was after World War 2,
My Uncle owned the Florence Kennedy the sounder was a round ring which bleeped every time it found fish, 
charter those days would be with 20 to 30 fishermen all with handlines and a woven sack to keep your fish in, no plastic bags back then.

within a few year the fish were being screwed by Fishing companies demanding more fish from their boats,

now it was getting serous, less fish, we copped it fair between the eyes within a span of about 20 years we had a reduction in snapper from no  restrictions to 60 to 30 to 20 to 15 to 10/9 to now 7 
all because the Fishing companies could not catch the allocation they had been given fast enough,

my Grandfather was a excellent fisherman, we had a clinker built boat with a Seagull on the back, we went no further out than Browns Bay reef, we lined up everything via land marks then dropped the anchour.

i continually fished like this till i was 40 years old infact my land marks were so accurate i never need any gadgets until i started working for fishing tackle company now i had to venture further away from AK hence the reason i first started using them and i believe this is were they come into there own...

if you need any proof of my above story say so i will put up photos so you can see for your self.       

Excellent Lethal, I'm definately out of your Grandfathers mould, i putt out in me little boat, couple of bucks of gas. Sometimes less than a K out, never more than three, use my same landmarks everytime and look at the results i get! Cheers.

Posted By: letsgetem
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 3:40pm
Nothing Capt Pugwash said actually seems silly. For example, there are other restrictions in force - eg number of hooks, length of fish, number of fish. So I cant see why some have reacted personally.
Fair enough question. But, I think the use of electronics to help catch fish, has become so entrenched, that any move to ban it would be extremely difficult to achieve. Although , perhaps it would achieve a waking up of the great apathetic majority. 

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 3:51pm
Imagine ----if the Ocean going Tuna fleets had no technology. How many more Marlin & Tuna would you be landing this season.

Of if Ernest Hemmingway had fishfinders in his day would he have ever been able to write" The old man of the sea "in such detail from experience .

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 3:54pm
depth charges still allowed Wacko

-------------

Posted By: Olfart
It was a stupid question and I reacted accordingly because fish finders (sounders) do more than just find fish.  For me, it is a question of being safe on the water and I like to be able to see at a glance how much water I have under my boat at any given time. 
Also, it is useful to know whether the water depth is going shallower or deeper and if I am getting close to a pin or not.  And then of course there is bottom composition....
So sorry, Cpt Pugwash, you lost me at the first hurdle...

-------------
Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Posted By: Steps
Should fish finders be banned?

Hell yeah !!!
 but dont ban sounders...right?
My sounder gets used for finding the bottom, type of bottom, foul... and when in the shallow reefs, and close i8n on  cliff walls I NEED to see what is underneath at high tides, so when go in at low KNOW what is there..
Its about safety.
And just cause rec fisherman can see the bloody fish, doesnt mean they can be caught or hungry.

'Cheezzzz wayne'

CA sums this one up real well

Lol, probably the best of the lot.....

Or talk bout opening one mouth to change feet....

Posted By: KikBac
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 7:35pm
Pug - if you really want to make some new friends, go to Bingo!

-------------
Beer: the most important meal of the day.

Posted By: Men In Black
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 7:56pm
From this guy a question like that doesn't surprise me in the least .......oh and you really should of Googled the meaning of your handle name in the urban dictionary prior to calling yourself.... " Pugwash" It's not just a kids 1960's TV show.....

-------------
www.synit.co.nz

Posted By: v8-coupe
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by cirrus cirrus wrote:

Imagine ----if the Ocean going Tuna fleets had no technology. How many more Marlin & Tuna would you be landing this season.

Of if Ernest Hemmingway had fishfinders in his day would he have ever been able to write" The old man of the sea "in such detail from experience .
Just banning the use of helicopters/planes would give the fish a fighting chance.

-------------
Legasea Legend Member

Posted By: Fishing Addiction
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 8:06pm
Based on your reports. I think you need ALL the help you can get

Posted By: hookerpuka
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 8:11pm
Oh lawdy! 
 I use electronics to a massive advantage as a lot do... but that said I can still catch fish with out em especially those big inshore snapper. not rocket science. 

We should ban Lure fishing as well, cause they have helped many people catch fish they wouldn't normally.
 Perhaps braid as well because now we can be actively catching fish for longer because the gears so much lighter
 Best get rid of the Four strokes too. Quieter and more efficient giving better stealth and more range. 
 And by god certainly Jig's because there lethal on the king fish and definitely Synit rods. 

Problem is I like bling so by the time I take all this off half the fun is kind of gone as well :P... 

That's one of your not so thought out questions Pugsy. 

Posted By: v8-coupe
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 8:24pm
Just my two cents worth. The original question was, "should fish finders be banned?'. No mention of sounders as some on here have prattled on about, and become unnecessarily personal about in my opinion.
I understood the question and in some respects I am in agreement. If the trawlers had only sounders/bird finding radar et al they would have to use experience/records to find the schools. A relatively small advantage to the fish I agree. As per my last post, the banning of helicopters/planes for spotting schools of fish would give the fish a fighting chance. The same for rec fishers. No fish finders or planes :-). As a couple have already said. They go on experience, records and skill.
The other side of the coin of course is commercially caught fish would/could become more expensive. Probably too expensive and there is also the chance of greater juvenile mortality.
Personally, I thought the question was thought provoking and worthwhile of a productive discussion. Not the venom that some have chosen to spew forth.
Cheers.

-------------
Legasea Legend Member

Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 8:27pm
Hey guys take it easy on poor old Pugwash. I'm sure he has taken all the electronics off his little boat. I use my FF to find fish but more often to see where I'm going. I reckon the sooner we go back to paper charts and sextants the better!

I think this is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to fisheries management, the sooner we ban rods and reels the better. I think we should all be using cat gut handlines that were popular when I was a kid. My sister is a hardcore cat lover, any ideas on how I can break the bad news to her?

Why not even ban boats? I'm all for it, my boat costs me a fortune. You ask the big questions Pugwash and there is going to be some soul searching going on in the forums tonight.

Hey, I got a better idea! Let's ban all forms of fishing. And hunting! Wouldn't the world be better off if we were all vegans?

I'm in! I'm on the journey to a better future, who is joining me?

-------------
Best gurnard fisherman in my street

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 8:28pm
Radar detectors in cars are illegal so why not consider banning recreational and commercial usage of fishfinding electronics and aviation?

Could possibly  change the whole zoning and rights question.

Leave snapper1 as is and ban electronics ( fishfinding) on boats.

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 8:30pm
Absolutely! Man this is an enlightening thread. Tomorrow I'm throwing out my radar detector! I've never even had a speeding ticket in my boat.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 8:32pm
OK, who is in favour of a fish fiinder ban? Lets have a poll.
#1 means yes you have a fish finder #2 means you agree with Pugwash.

I Will start the ball rolling.

#1 Yes

#2 No

-------------

Posted By: Men In Black
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 8:46pm
I think you better think of the electronic firms that help sponsor this site before you go opening that can of worms smudge....

-------------
www.synit.co.nz

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 8:52pm
aww c'mon Smudge what about #3
what a waste of time - never going to happen.
#3 Kill this thread

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 9:11pm
@robbosaur - you're a putain.

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 9:16pm

Radar detectors in cars are illegal so why not consider banning recreational and commercial usage of fishfinding electronics and aviation?

Could possibly  change the whole zoning and rights question.

Leave snapper1 as is and ban electronics ( fishfinding) on boats.
radar detectors illegal in nz since when??they are in aussie,wish you would get your facts right pugwash.
http://www.radardirect.co.nz/FAQ/faq.html

Through the years we have received thousands of questions about radar and laser technology that law enforcement use...

We have selected the most commonly asked questions in an attempt to give you a better understanding of the subject

Q Are radar detectors legal?
They are legal to use in New Zealand have been for over 40 years. Many Police involved in traffic work believe that radar & laser detectors slow drivers down.

Q Are radar / laser jammers legal?
A Here in NZ it is an offence under the Land Transport Act Revisions of 2011 to Jam speed measuring equipment.

#1 yes
#2 no

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by Men In Black Men In Black wrote:

I think you better think of the electronic firms that help sponsor this site before you go opening that can of worms smudge....

Yup.

Just give the idiot a red card. Its not a thought provoking post at all just stirring the pot as usual.

Might be time to leave this site and go elsewhere for the real fisherman to talk about how to catch fish not this stupid BS!   

Posted By: MayorOf1hunga
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 9:20pm
i worked as a dog groomer  , once i gave this old Pugg a blue rinse , really suited him .

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 9:24pm
Muppet, I agree ] but please don't leave the site because of one person. Here's #3 on this poll.

#3 do you think Captain Pugwash is a worthy contributor?

#4 Would you like to see hte end of him?

My opinion..

#3 No
#4 yes. Why would you want the likes of Pugwash here at the risk of a perfectly good contributor like Muppet?

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 9:34pm
#3 no
#4 yes,as he thinks he right but when a member tries to correct him.he either argues the point or changes subject,cannot have a real debate

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 9:39pm
This is getting very silly. Must be the hot weather. Cold beer time.

Topic had potential for interesting debate. But too hot for that. Too hot to go fishing.

We all know that fish finders will never be banned. Never.

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 9:40pm
I am all for a good debate smudge but I am here mainly to listen and learn on how to catch fish. We all know the state of the fishery etc we don't need our noses rubbed in it 24/7 from Pug. I want to know how you guys are getting on with your varying methods.

If i were to listen to Pug who knows F All about fishing by sounds I wouldn't bother with the Whitianga area but I know better through other guys on here.

Why let the one rotten egg stink a place out?  

Posted By: Don18025
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 9:44pm
Pugsy, it will never happen. 
I am a diver and would fight like hell to retain use of my fish finder/depth sounder. Have used one for nearly 40 years of many different types.
Sure do make diving safe in that we can park the boat to ensure a safe dive.
No way would I give it up. So mine will be on the boat after the dive when we go fishing.
I am also certain a lot of Yachties will not give up their electronic depth sounder as it is an essential aid to navigation. I navigated a yacht in heavy fog from Cape Reinga to Cavalli Islands, without a GPS and the most important device used was the depth sounder (and the engine).
There are only two instruments that tell you the exact distance from something.
A depth sounder gives you the depth under the boat and radar the distance to an object, boat or shoreline. 
Pugsy what you forget is that a lot of folk use their fish finder for other purposes than fishing. So forget this stupid idea as it will not happen.Thumbs Down

Posted By: Potty
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 9:49pm

ConfusedI'm confused that this idiot is still allowed to post, JSF was slashed and in my opinion he was much better value than Puggy.

-------------
Love fishing, love my job. It's a bloody shame that they clash. http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Titahi
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 9:57pm

I have struggled to see why Capt Pugwit has been tolerated for as long as he has, or even engaged with by so many?
 The mere fact that the mod team have had to make his posts "pending approval"  after so many warnings suggests that he is stupid, with poor social skills and an inability to think.  I'm more and more convinved its actually Moggy, (same modus operandi)  who is so embarrassed by his pathetic fish fight debacle he has chosen a new handle.......

Im not even going to dignify the question with a response, its that moronic.

But smudge I vote

-------------
"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 9:57pm
@muppet - my question about fishfinders is a genuine one however it does have a more profound interrogation than just a literal one.
What I am asking is - can the use of electronics in fishfinding  be managed or limited at commercial and recreational levels?

@muppet - I hope you remain on this site. If my threads irritate you then I recommend that you DO NOT READ THEM.Your problem is solved.

Posted By: Bigfishbob
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 10:06pm
Only the fish finders that make fsh super hungry should be banned, those ones are just not sporting at all, poor fish just can't help themselves.

-------------
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 10:10pm
no reply pugwash regarding radar detectors??lost the debate so you go quiet?

-------------

Posted By: Lethal
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 10:15pm
Pugy start another thread like lets take cellphones off kids?

-------------
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by Potty Potty wrote:

ConfusedI'm confused that this idiot is still allowed to post, JSF was slashed and in my opinion he was much better value than Puggy.

JSF took things more personally than Pugster. He was good for a laugh though

"oh har har har reiver, pity you assumed i went out on the ski you stupid boy... i have never ever said i did, so you are the ass that assumed it.. _|_ 
and i do have pic's just not showing any of you ****ers cause you give me ****, you get nothing so stick that up ya hairy back side and spin on it for all i care...Censored"

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 10:22pm
Pugwash, do you not see that people do indeed think that you are  a problem on here?

The question has been raised many times 'why do the moderators tolerate him?'

My answer?

We're damned if we do and damned if we don't. We want people to understand why we have standards on this site. So many people complain about how we don't let people do whatever they like. My comments to them would be 'check out Capt Pugwash's posts to see how disruptive one individual can be'.

Personally I would like to suspend him indefinitely but so many people like taking the piss out of him that they ask him to be left alone. Again, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

After all our mantra is 'Fishing knowledge online'. not 'Fishing idiocy online'.

I detest the man but I'm sure he shares the same thoughts about me. Who do you trust? Me and the rest of the mod team (everyone I have met has been a great asset to this place, but maybe I have it all wrong)

If you want him gone let me know. Likewise if you think I'm out of line let me know. I will make your wishes come true in 24 hours.

Let's see your votes. him or me.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 10:28pm

Pugy start another thread like lets take cellphones off kids?

Yepp, a great topic for facebook LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 10:30pm
Well sumdge in the early days you gave me a couple of warnings,soon took your advice and no I have not been banned.Just need to know when to quit!

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 10:33pm
Yes indeed Paul and we have no issues at all now I'm sure. Crikey, sometimes we have even had a beer together. Just doing a job the best I can and i know you understand and appreciate that.

-------------

Posted By: bazza
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 10:33pm
I'm getting a bit big for my stocks now smudge, so if you could arrange a new set then
Pugwash could have my old set !

-------------
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 10:34pm
Gottasay that Pugwashes threads generate a lot of laughs,humor and some good debate. And lots of views ,which i am sure those that advertize on here must be happy with.
And now Bigfish bob has said there are fishfinders that make fish hungary. That sounds good.Smile

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by bazza bazza wrote:

I'm getting a bit big for my stocks now smudge, so if you could arrange a new set then
Pugwash could have my old set !

Still growing at your age Bazza.?LOL

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 10:39pm
I know Cirrus and that is the problem. We enjoy laughing at him but because I have my own moral standards I think it is cruel to string him along. In my opinion it would be kinder to get rid of him rather than just have him as the butt of our jokes.

Having said that, I'm sorry Bazza but you wear those stocks so well. Big smile

-------------

Posted By: kitno
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 11:08pm
Pug does raise some interesting questions at times but all too often it turns into a slander match causing the original question to get lost. I do wonder if he has a list of future threads and waits for the last one to die off before posting the next. Annoying he may be, but he has a place here. I vote for him to stay.

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 11:29pm
Wanna read something shocking? Despite having my finger on a trigger TOO MANY TIMES with Pugwash, ..... I don't think he should get the chop just yet.
This thread asked a stupid question, but they are posts initiated by someone with absolutely no idea of how thoroughly the subjects he has raises have been thrashed out before, so I can cut him a little slack for raising the whole Who Stole All The Snapper issue (version 9537) but other threads like his selling whole fish thread or this one on banning sounders, could be quite interesting if only he had the capacity to make points or stimulate discussions in a non acrimonious way.
I am hoping against hope that he pulls his head in a little and LEARNS how to live amicably on this site. Give it another week or two....if he does, fine, if not....then let's unleash Smudge at him then!

Oh, voting..... Of course no one could ever ban fishfinders, that is absurd. If you have a system of fish bag limits, then if fishfinders actually work, then you could say you catch your limit faster, saving fuel, reducing carbon footprints, all that good stuff lol.

-------------

Posted By: laidbackdood
Date Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 4:13am

Thumbs Up..i always enjoy reading your posts eric........stu"s as well (his dry sense of humour always comes through.)

Date Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 6:51am
You critic's better put your glasses on and read my first post AGAIN.
My post was a QUESTION that is open to debate so to refresh your memory it sort of goes like this - could electronics (fishfinders) be controlled in a way that assists with the reduction in catches in area's where there is a SERIOUS problem with over-fishing.
To me this is a legitimate topic and in NO way slags off anyone or any fishing philosophy.
The thing that concerns me is the voracious and abusive response by ( reputable members) asking for my banning, the leader amongst them being smudge....
@smudge - my posts since our - clarification - have been in accordance with your outline, non abusive, no confrontational. I'll remind you that we had an agreement and so far its YOU who's broken the goodwill. Threatening with - Pugwash or me - is a VERY LOW play smudge.

PS. Go across to - The REAL Whitianga Fishing - thread and show me where my ill intent is in my last report?....go on have a look....its alternative but has some facts if you are clever enough to interpret it.

Posted By: rockz
Date Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 7:07am
whats the title of the post again?

maybe you could rename the other post to the real whitianga weather report?

Posted By: Grunta
Date Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 7:08am
You just can't help yourself can you Pugster.......  continually laying the burley trail on here and winding up the place. 

The question you've posed is one of the more ridiculous ones I've seen on here and believe me I've seen a few beauties over 15 years. 

How about some interesting info from your area about what's going on rather than this convoluted bollocks you're posting. I've have a few marks for you to try and am waiting until I see something sensible coming from your keyboard before I PM them through ......

x100 votes for Smudge too.

Posted By: MacSkipper
Date Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 7:14am
Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Let's see your votes. him or me.
Smudge keep him, I actually enjoy the banter (have really enjoyed the real Whitianga fishing report) and some points raised are interesting.  But, some fishos here are obviously offended.  As you say damned if you do damned if you don't.  Probably you need a different section for his posts - fishing humour perhaps?  I don't think these posts should be in the briny bar section though, most are fishery conspiracy theories I think? 

-------------
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.

Date Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 7:34am

@robbosaur - you're a putain.

Good thing I have the hide of a rhinoceros fish <bounce>
-:)

Date Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 7:43am
It's all been said. Let's move on.

Posted By: worksux
Date Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 8:21am
Ban him, He annoys the crap out of me because of his alternative, The real Whitianga report. His post offer nothing but weather reports and the sad little man talking to people at the wharf about their day fishing, and he thinks that's a report.

He has hijacked a perfectly good Whitianga thread. The guys who post on it offered advice, where the fish are biting, baits used, what depth, time of day etc, 
I'm annoyed enough that just maybe I will pm the Whiti guys with my fishing reports.

Should f/finders be banned, hell yes, and while we are at lets ban all modern technology.

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: the angler
Date Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 8:39am
Hehhe good to have a chuckle with the morning coffee , it's a bit like fishing really the bait gets put on the hook and thrown out and then some sucker comes along and takes a bite .

The mention of j s f made me laugh too I still think his last post ever was possibly the best I have ever seen and I'm sure even the intended recipient had to be impressed at the lengths he went too to make it.

To be brutally honest Capt. Pug washes posts are probably more entertaining than most and don't get personally vindictive or threatening like a certain coloured vegetable that used to pm all sorts of crazy stuff.

Date Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 9:00am
Tru dat Angler.
I didn't notice there was a Smudge him or me,sorry...., like grunta, x100 for smudge naturally.
The answer Pugsy to your serious question is , .... NO. Definitely not. Fishfinders should NOT be banned in any circumstances, as they form far too valuable a service in boat safety, are the only way to efficiently fish for many species, and, like guns, in themselves do nothing to actually catch fish. As in, Guns don't kill people, people kill people.
As I have pointed out several times now, where there is a system in place to limit catch rates there is no point in banning electronics.
So no, the answer is unequivocally NO.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 9:04am
Originally posted by worksux worksux wrote:

Ban him, He annoys the crap out of me because of his alternative, The real Whitianga report....
Quickly relax Dave,
The real Whitianga fishing report is http://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/whitianga_topic106404.html" rel="nofollow - here and that other thread has been appropriately renamed. All is well in the world and it's a lovely day.....

Date Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 9:25am
Aahhh ha hahaaaar! Lol, love it.
Weren't me Pugsy. I never dun nuffin! Lol
Fully approve however.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 10:06am
Originally posted by Grunta Grunta wrote:

Originally posted by worksux worksux wrote:

Ban him, He annoys the crap out of me because of his alternative, The real Whitianga report....
Quickly relax Dave,
The real Whitianga fishing report is http://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/whitianga_topic106404.html" rel="nofollow - here and that other thread has been appropriately renamed. All is well in the world and it's a lovely day.....

Jesus Grunta you're lazy....if you look at the two threads - The Real Whitianga Fishing report and Pukefisher's you'll DISCOVER THAT MINE WAS POSTED FIRST on the - 30th of December and the other Whitianga report was posted on 2nd January........how does it go again - December, January, February etc 

Posted By: bazza
Date Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 10:12am
Whoo .. hoo .. hoo !!!!!

Using profane expletives whilst calling the boss lazy ... dicing with death imo & will be interesting to see where it goes from here.

-------------
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: the angler
Date Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 10:28am
I take it all back.
ban him.

Date Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 10:34am
Capt P. Everyone loves a sideshow- and that is about all you have created both with this and the Whiti thread. I bet you're sitting back having a good old laugh at the fuss you have generated.

For me the fun is over. Pull your head in.

Date Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 10:49am
Originally posted by the angler the angler wrote:

I take it all back.
ban him.

Ban WHO angler the guy that changed the name of the THREAD I STARTED ( to Pugwash is an eejit) and is clearly ratified by Grunta .........
Oh and to be 100% clear Grunta is NOT my BOSS, bazza.

Date Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 11:22am

.........Jesus Grunta you're lazy....
Not so lazy that I didn't take the time to put you On Probation Pugster. 

What that means is that any posts you make will need to be approved by moderator before they are publicly viewable. 

You've had plenty of opportunity to be sociable and it's rather unfortunate that you have chosen not to be. This site enjoys characters, debate, interesting ideas, conjecture and so on. When many are saying enough's enough then you really didn't take heed of the conversation we had a few weeks ago and the many comments on here. 

As I said a while back - it was totally up to you.

Posted By: Tzer
Date Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 11:29am
While a lot of what Pugwash posts can be entertaining at times and we're all taking the piss out of him,  for me he is more than starting to become a bore and perhaps it is time for him to go. I frequent this site to gain a little bit of extra knowledge, intel on whats happening around the areas, friendly banter is good also but Pugsy contributions go beyond that. Pugwash before you tell me if I don't like your post then don't read them well you know that's not going to happen as I want to read what the normal people on here have to continually say about moi.

edited: Does anyone personally know Mr Pugwash that can vouch for him or are they keeping quiet for fear of being tar with the same brush LOL

Posted By: Contract
Date Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 3:37pm
I hate the word "BAN" and it will never be said that I am a "conformist" with a lot of the "puritanical ideas" being promoted in some of these forums.
I have had my fair share of "discussions" with the mods and I have chosen just to "walk away". If you truly disagree with someone's attitude, it is far better just to physically punch them in the nose ~ rather than a slagging war on social media. There are no winners in that situation.
 Words seem to urinate people off more than a good clock on the proboscis.
Why not let Pug post only in his latest thread. No others. No new subjects, no new threads. That way ~ (1) his admirers can join him and (2) his beraters know what to expect if they dare open the thread. (4) The moderators will soon get a handle of the numbers actually reading his drivel ~ to see if he is indeed attracting viewers for their advertisers (5) nobody is being "nanny state" banned

Just saying .......

If I had to vote ~ I would have my thumbs down ~ but then again ~ I would prefer looking at see through bikinis, rather than debating the merits of banning fish finders
Evil Smile

Posted By: letsgetem
Date Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 3:38pm
I vote for banning all those who are abusing Pugwash. After all, they don't have to read his posts if they are offended.

Posted By: Godders
Date Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by Contract Contract wrote:

I hate the word "BAN" and it will never be said that I am a "conformist" with a lot of the "puritanical ideas" being promoted in some of these forums.
I have had my fair share of "discussions" with the mods and I have chosen just to "walk away". If you truly disagree with someone's attitude, it is far better just to physically punch them in the nose ~ rather than a slagging war on social media. There are no winners in that situation.
 Words seem to urinate people off more than a good clock on the proboscis.
Why not let Pug post only in his latest thread. No others. No new subjects, no new threads. That way ~ (1) his admirers can join him and (2) his beraters know what to expect if they dare open the thread. (4) The moderators will soon get a handle of the numbers actually reading his drivel ~ to see if he is indeed attracting viewers for their advertisers (5) nobody is being "nanny state" banned

Just saying .......

If I had to vote ~ I would have my thumbs down ~ but then again ~ I would prefer looking at see through bikinis, rather than debating the merits of banning fish finders
Evil Smile

Thumbs down in gladiator times meant live .

Date Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 3:57pm
LOL

I may start some threads like.

SHOULD BERLEY BE BANNED
SPEARO'S SHOULD GET SHOT
LIVEBAITING IS CRUEL 

I could do heaps more.

Point being any idiot can can put up rubbish like that on this site. No one should be offended because they don't have to read them do they?

But it takes work and dedication to post anything worthy of a real fishing report or knowledge to help others. Which I always thought was the point of this site. 

Posted By: Godders
Date Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by letsgetem letsgetem wrote:

I vote for banning all those who are abusing Pugwash. After all, they don't have to read his posts if they are offended.

Yes if you ignore someone they will go away.I think any post is better than no posts,freedom of speach.Freedom and peace to all.

Posted By: Martini Max
Date Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 8:41pm
No, don't ban him, fun... although I agree with Smudge about standards; but  I must say that in one of his posts when he said something like "Je suis pugwash"... Bad taste for those who lost their lives in that attack. If that is meant to be a satirical post, then that demonstrates what a tosser he is.
Your fish and bottle is easily seen as "post production" .
 You asked that I should apologize for what I have posted.. there is a very,very, very hot place that sometime may freeze over. Why don't you go there and update us as to the temperature ?

-------------

"I do nothing..I do it well.. I then move on to doing more of nothing"

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 8:10am
Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

.....But it takes work and dedication to post anything worthy of a real fishing report or knowledge to help others. Which I always thought was the point of this site. 
Spot on Muppet. There will always be some discussion on what, or to what extent a topic is worthy however fishing reports are relatively easy to work out.  Some great reports in the Workup forum atm.  Thumbs Up

Posted By: funandfunction
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 5:29pm
Please excuse my ignorance..... but wots an eejit????
( I've obviously led a very sheltered life!!)

-------------
There are two types of people in the world: those that divide people into two types and those that don't.

Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by funandfunction funandfunction wrote:

A polite way of saying idiotLOL

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 6:02pm

It's Irish for idiot

Posted By: funandfunction
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 6:10pm
Ok thank you Catchelot and Reiver.
I was mistakenly coming up with all sorts of explanations that were somewhat less flattering!

I must admit though, it does seem a tad abusive  for some posts that seemed totally harmless  even if a bit annoying to some.

I vote for keeping Pugwash!!! If George W. could become president of the US , it shows how far a villiage idiot can go.

-------------
There are two types of people in the world: those that divide people into two types and those that don't.

Posted By: Tzer
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 7:17pm

Ok thank you Catchelot and Reiver.

I vote for keeping Pugwash!!! If George W. could become president of the US , it shows how far a villiage idiot can go.

And it looks like their about to elect another even bigger idiot in Trump

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 7:26pm
Let's just clarify something here. Captain Pugwash is free to post whatever he likes but because he doesn't respect the forum rules his posts need to be approved. We will approve them, even the controversial ones, as long as it fits within the rules. The moderator team doesn't have to agree with his views and I will willingly approve anything that complies.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 8:25pm
.....but thusly fairly, he seems to have gotten the pip, as no more posts from him have arisen to be approved or otherwise.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window