Forum Name: Freshwater Fishing reports
Forum Description: Post your report here
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=114806
Printed Date: 30 Mar 2024 at 1:42am

Topic: Tongariro Delta lake Taupo
Posted By: MacSkipper
Subject: Tongariro Delta lake Taupo
Date Posted: 11 Dec 2015 at 2:41pm
Redfinger was down my way and stayed overnight at our Taumarunui house and on Wed 9th we went over to Taupo and out in my boat - he kindly setup a rig for me and we "flyfished" at delta at mouth of Tongariro river - tried harling Stump Bay first and a few nudges and a small rainbow.  At Delta 1 keeper rainbow and several bites - still a bit early in season? Locals saw us anchored there and 2 boats came alongside and started fishing. 
Stunning day and scenery, great to catch up and meet Redfinger - capital bloke and super keen fly fisher who is happy to share his knowledge Thumbs Up!

-------------
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.

Replies:
Posted By: Redfinger
Date Posted: 11 Dec 2015 at 3:45pm
And fair to say I failed miserably compared  to recent visits but still a great time.
I tried harling with my borrowed sage rod and shooting head - must have had 6-7 str
ikes but they were mostly smaller fish.
Delta was slow but a firm favourite place of mine  - always love to fish there. As lake level drops and current strengthens it will get better and better. 
Tried and unsuccessfully fished a new technique in the Tongi. The sunken dry fly - no matter what I did the dry fly was set on returning to nymph stage by diving for the bottom after a few seconds. Muppet drag most likely on the leader.

Posted By: Metal Float
Date Posted: 11 Dec 2015 at 4:14pm
Were you there Wed morning?  I think I saw you harling stump bay and then anchoring in the rip. I got a couple harling for the meat safe but took awhile to work-out where the fish were and what to use. The cabin boat was doing very well harling - hooking up every few minutes.

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2015 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by Metal Float Metal Float wrote:

Were you there Wed morning?  I think I saw you harling stump bay and then anchoring in the rip. I got a couple harling for the meat safe but took awhile to work-out where the fish were and what to use. The cabin boat was doing very well harling - hooking up every few minutes.
Yes in Mac 360 grey with red trim and black motor. 
Do you know what lures cabin boat was using?   What did you find best for harling? - I was using different coloured tillins cobra lures and 2, then 3 colours but only one bite - Russell was having more luck with flies.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2015 at 4:52pm
Yes that was us - i had a ginger mick quite small.
Those guys were in the white boat eh?
 They launched next to us at Kuratau John

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 1:13am
"What did you find best for harling? - I was using different coloured tillins cobra lures and 2, then 3 colours but only one bite - Russell was having more luck with flies."

I couldn't really tell what the white cabin boat was using but maybe 10-20m of lead line, run very short so they could do tight turns and work a very specific location.  They worked their way out into mid-water as the fishn' slowed but didn't seem to do as well.  

I've done well in that area before harling woolly buggers but not on Wed.  Fishn' picked up for me once I switched to a brown cobra with small black stripes on one side and with a red stripe. I put a couple of 40cm fish back and kept a couple at 45cm over the last hr.  I must remember to charge by sounder battery next time as this may help!

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 5:37am
Originally posted by Metal Float Metal Float wrote:

"What did you find best for harling? - I was using different coloured tillins cobra lures and 2, then 3 colours but only one bite - Russell was having more luck with flies."

I couldn't really tell what the white cabin boat was using but maybe 10-20m of lead line, run very short so they could do tight turns and work a very specific location.  They worked their way out into mid-water as the fishn' slowed but didn't seem to do as well.  

I've done well in that area before harling woolly buggers but not on Wed.  Fishn' picked up for me once I switched to a brown cobra with small black stripes on one side and with a red stripe. I put a couple of 40cm fish back and kept a couple at 45cm over the last hr.  I must remember to charge by sounder battery next time as this may help!
Thanks - I tried white/black and yellow/black, That's one thing that interests me about fresh water fishing - seems to be a constantly moving target!  Redfinger felt using a weighted fly line at this time of year may work better for harling while fish are shallow, I was using 2 then 3 colours of lead line.  I guess over the years and talking to others you get smart about it...that's why it is called fishing. 

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 8:44am
"Redfinger felt using a weighted fly line at this time of year may work better for harling while fish are shallow, I was using 2 then 3 colours of lead line.  I guess over the years and talking to others you get smart about it...that's why it is called fishing"

Yep - all good fun and I don't get enough time to harling to work out when where and how.  When they're surface feeding I use a floating flyline with a weighted tippet to get it just below the surface.  This is my favorite form of harling as I like playing fish this way. On Wed I was actually just using my spinning set with light braid and the cobra was dropping the lurer maybe 4-5ft down (I think).  When harling is hard or there's annoying amounts of weed I use a line with 1.5 colours.  If these techniques don't work, I spend more time on Ota flyfishing and spinning as; if I'm to fish Taupo, I only want to harl. Always fun trying new things!

Posted By: Barra10
Date Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 9:34am
We did well jigging off the Delta last weekend at mid morning. From what I heard at the ramp the harling/trolling was a little hit and miss

Hardly ever harl any more but used to use a blue depth charger Paravane with a release clip running 2-3m down, spin gear and a black toby was all we ever needed

Date Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 5:23pm
Thanks for the comment - it seems 10 different people have 10 different ways Confused but hey that's why it is called fishing!

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 9:23am
John, I think there are many ways to skin a cat as it were.
We should have spent more time jigging I suppose - that is the go to method during the day and probably early morning.
Harling will be good early morning for quite a while , Delta generally good for a fish or two and can get very good at any  time (always worth a go in my opinion)
We havent even mentioned  deep trolling, downrigging etc yet!
So much fun to be had in that lake.

Posted By: LBGer
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 9:44am
Down here with family heading to Lake Ohakuri to try some fishing today but mostly to try and find the hot water stream and go for a dip. will be trying the delta later in the week and probably the Tongariro, such an awesome river to fish. Haven't been in the Taupo area since the 06 season...  will be making a video if we get enough action....

-------------
A king on the bricks is worth 5 in a boat.

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 10:13am
I'm looking forward to the reports.  I also had a quick fish at the tailrace and it seemed to be fishn' better than I've experience for a while.  Helped by not much surface weed. I've done very well there before harling large wooly buggers.

Date Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 7:27am
Originally posted by Redfinger Redfinger wrote:

John, I think there are many ways to skin a cat as it were.
We should have spent more time jigging I suppose - that is the go to method during the day and probably early morning.
Harling will be good early morning for quite a while , Delta generally good for a fish or two and can get very good at any  time (always worth a go in my opinion)
We havent even mentioned  deep trolling, downrigging etc yet!
So much fun to be had in that lake.
Yes interesting lake and fishing.  Appreciate willingness of fisho's to post here and share info - is a bit confusing at first but always a learning curve with any new area or type of fishing Thumbs Up.

-------------

Posted By: squidynz
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2015 at 3:19pm
Hi

Looking for some advice.  heading to Turangi for xmas.  I have a 10ft dinghy with sounder, 7.5hp motor.  What is my best fishing technique for this area and at this time of the year.

An advice considered good advice.
Cheers
Brendan

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2015 at 3:34pm
Plenty of preferences expressed on this thread squidynz.  Depends on what gear you have and what you enjoy doing?  Trout go deeper into the thermocline as the water warms so jigging and leadline trawling become more common - not my thing so hopefully others will offer advice.  I still think you can do well in Jan harling near oxygen weed with a wooly buggers but you have to be early. If there's not too much weed off the tail-race it is worth taking a harl down past the wharf sticking to 10-13m - one or two runs will tell you if it's worthwhile.   Otherwise the weedbed 1/3-1/2 of the way down stump bay from the Delta is worthwhile (look for the boats and read above).  Good luck!

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2015 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by squidynz squidynz wrote:

Hi

Looking for some advice.  heading to Turangi for xmas.  I have a 10ft dinghy with sounder, 7.5hp motor.  What is my best fishing technique for this area and at this time of the year.

An advice considered good advice.
Cheers
Brendan
There are 2 fishing shops in Turangi - if you pop in and ask which lures to buy they can tell you what locals are doing and recommend some.  Also if you can afford it go out on local charter when you first arrive and see what they do and where - I went out with Michael Roundtree for 4 hrs $320 was able to use my rods he even rigged end tackle on one and gave me a fly.  Took 6 fish home, great bloke who was happy to share ideas Thumbs Up!

-------------

Posted By: squidynz
Date Posted: 23 Dec 2015 at 7:51am
Cheers Chaps

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 8:01am
Forecast looks promising to get out delta/stump bay Tuesday morning - any suggestions as what best to try?  I harled last time in December (don't have a trolling setup), thinking jigging might be the go now?  Any suggestions as to what lure to use?
Any ideas appreciated,  Redfinger? Cheers

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 11:12am
Yes jigging would be the go to now , for sure.
Stay 300m out from the markers at the river mouths and just check your sounder.
Be prepared to raise your flies to the level where the trout are showing.
Try The tokaanu hole - starts 30metres past channel markers at tailrace.
THe drop offs around the delta and Stump bay - look from 25, down to 50m or 60m plus.
Oreti time share resort just south of Pukawa bay (next to kuratau)- again the drop offs.
Look for where other boats are jigging.
Flies - grey ghost, jack spratt, ginger mick preferably in uv.

Of course the delta flyfishing can turn up fish anytime of the day, arguably best early, remember your stern anchor to lay your boat straight.  Booby and glo bug combos normally work there.

Harling at first light will still work too - I would use similar smelt flies to jigging.

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 12:26pm

Yes jigging would be the go to now , for sure.
Stay 300m out from the markers at the river mouths and just check your sounder.
Be prepared to raise your flies to the level where the trout are showing.
Try The tokaanu hole - starts 30metres past channel markers at tailrace.
THe drop offs around the delta and Stump bay - look from 25, down to 50m or 60m plus.
Oreti time share resort just south of Pukawa bay (next to kuratau)- again the drop offs.
Look for where other boats are jigging.
Flies - grey ghost, jack spratt, ginger mick preferably in uv.

Of course the delta flyfishing can turn up fish anytime of the day, arguably best early, remember your stern anchor to lay your boat straight.  Booby and glo bug combos normally work there.

Harling at first light will still work too - I would use similar smelt flies to jigging.
Thanks Russell - will give it a go and post how I got on.  Cheers

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 10:31am
Well checked forecast and not as good as it was but thought it would be ok Mon morning - arrived at Kuratau at dawn - windy and choppy!  Went round to Tokaanu ok there but getting choppy at delta and into Stump bay - tried harling was difficult as a bit windy/choppy, tried cobras and fly no bites.  Looked at jigging a lot of drift due to wind/chop - saw fish on new fish finder at 5-10m down in stump bay, but did not even try with sea anchor - 3 boats jigging out from delta went past nothing on my fish finder and no action that I could see, one boat anchored at delta mouth.
Forecast good for next Sunday so will try again hopefully.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 12:10pm
That North east wind no good up that end of the Lake - suppose you could try down Kinloch end if it keeps up all week. Bit of a hike but my buddy , Barry catches lots jigging there - deep 50-60m plus.

Posted By: Cheeko
Date Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 12:37pm
I fly fished the Delta just over a week ago. Wading with a mate and just casting smelts on intermediates or sink tips. We got about 45 in 3 hours but most were slabs, kept a few ok fish and a couple nice chunky fullas. TONNEs of slabs around at the moment after last years big runs. I emailed a chap whom works at Doc and asked if they are considering raising the limit to reduce the numbers. He said they are working on a process where by anglers can submit on issues more readily which can then form part of the fishery - or something along those lines Smile

The fish we did keep had smelt in them so hopefully there will be some nice fish come through in winter again!

Good luck!

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 12:44pm
Hi Cheeko - yes you are onto it regarding the need to increase numbers limit. Too many fish and possibly not enough food?

Posted By: Cheeko
Date Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 5:00pm
I agree Redfinger

Last year was brilliant as there was good numbers of smelt and less fish following a relatively quiet 2014 run - the outcome lots of good conditioned fish and in some cases some real big browns and the odd bo in 2015. This year following the massive runs of last year too many mouths and not enough food. I actually knocked about half a dozen shocking slabs on the head throughout the course of the week that would have no chance of recovering. I fished the river quite a bit during the week and their was fry everywhere and even the browns  I caught in the river were long and thin. This years 6lbrs were last years  8+ type of thing. Will no doubt still be some good fish come through but I think a limit of 5-6 wouldn't hurt.  Angler numbers are less nowadays than in the hey day when the limit was reduced from 8 and most visiting anglers practice c n r so I don't think there would be a problem with over harvesting! Smile

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 9:47pm
Redfinger came down today Monday 10am and we went over to Lake Taupo - jigged at Motuoapa Bay in the afternoon must have hooked 15 fish but only 3 keepers - fairly small average weight - I had 3 fish on 3 hooks on one cast, thought it was a good one but all 3 under size.  Was a bit windy at one point but died down, Then we went over to Tokaanu and fished Tongariro Delta late afternoon for a few hrs  - saw fish jumping 20-40M away quite a few times but no bites - really flattened off beautiful calm conditions and stunning scenery.  Tried jigging a few spots on way back to Tokaanu but very quiet.  Coming back Tues morning for another session before Russell heads back to Akld - more to come!  Cheers

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 4:17pm
This morning were out early fly fishing at Delta - manged two on a bug and booby but again fish were not great size or condition. We jigged over near Pukawa and managed another 3 but all on the  small side. Had to be on the way home at 10am so just a short trip.
Pleased I managed to Blood my new Composite developments xls 8 weight 

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 6:16pm

This morning were out early fly fishing at Delta - manged two on a bug and booby but again fish were not great size or condition. We jigged over near Pukawa and managed another 3 but all on the  small side. Had to be on the way home at 10am so just a short trip.
Pleased I managed to Blood my new Composite developments xls 8 weight 
Enjoyed getting out and being shown the ropes Russell.  As always Taupo was beautiful and weather was kind, good to get out with you - that delta is amazing with fish jumping around boat.
Re leak at transom bolts all 6 bolts were loose - I had some paint work repaired in Nov and I think painter left them loose - good spotting - thought it was vibrating more than it used to!

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 7:27pm
No worries John - sure was a lot of fish moving around the Delta.
Easy fix re the leak - well done and thanks again for your hospitality.
Might give the fish a few months to feed up there and regain some condition and size!

Posted By: rambo122
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 8:04pm
hey guys, just foind this thread. I fish alot over summer jigging in the oreti timeshares. Ive been there in a yellow kayak but this year i purchased a 13ft marksply boat.  I now have just bought a 16.5 cabin boat.
Any way over the week in late jane i landed over 50 trout all jigging, most were rleased properly and we also ate alot.
i went over to stump bay and kuratua cliffs catching fish everywhere, was almost to easy. 
went up the last two weekends and jigged and not a single fish in all mh little hot spots. have they moved elsewhere?
also trolled and caught one small one.
also is the delta just to the right as u come out of the tokkannu poles
cheers

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 8:34pm
Hi rambo
My last trip to Taupo was a couple of months ago- jigging was successful but the fish were not great in size or condition. Out of nearly 20 fish only a couple were any good.

What were size and condition of your fish this season? 
As lake cools the Thermocline (layer of warm/cold water mix) weakens and dissapears  -From about now the fish tend to move a litte shallower , a good proportion will gather near stream/river mouths feeding up before spawning runs.
I would think you would still catch trout now jigging but maybe look for drop offs, smelt schools a little shallower than summer. A good fish finder is a must of course,

We are getting some real good conditioned fish from the rotorua lakes now.

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 8:39pm
Hi red finger.
My best was 65cm and fst, but i released it for some reason as it was the biggest trout i had caught. id say 10 were real good nick then the rest around the 42cm and not that fat and also a fair number of undersized ones.  
Funny thing is i was cstching heaps in 20m of water in the summer.
I will head up again in the next couple of weeks, and see how i go.
i jigged last weekend 20-65m and noting at all . Good fun tho.

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 8:47pm

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 8:48pm
woops couldnt delete the snapper ones lol

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 9:01pm
Haha - what part of the lake were the snapper caught?

Remember a year or two ago some really good fish caught jigging in the Tokaanu hole right into  June/July at least. My buddy got a brown 3.5kg there at that time.

If you can get a fly rod sorted with super fast sinking line the Tongariro delta is very good - my favourite location in the whole lake. The current mouth is around towards stump bay flowing towards Taupo. Glo bugs , boobies or smelt flies will catch fish here.

How often you get fishing at Taupo?

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 9:08pm
is the tokaanu hole as u leave the tokkanu ramp poles?
i went over there in the weekend, i went to the waihi water fall then acroos the lake where there was a stream , two boat jigging to the right of it, close to tokaanu.
Me and a fly rod dont work together lol tried it last year.
I go up a bit over summer, but will look at atleast 1 a month id say. never found any freshwater forums that fish where i do until now. 
new fish finder is next to buy.

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 9:17pm
Yes the drop off to the hole is just past the last marker - good flyfishing spot too.
Harling is trolling targeting fish  in 2-5m of water - better now when water is cooler early and late in day. Stump bay awesome for this.
While you are using your new sounder looking for fish to jig on you could troll 6 - 10 colours of lead line - working the 10-16m depth range depending on boat speed. Quite productive in winter.

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 9:34pm
to me harling is with the normal lead line 2-3 colours out with trace with a cobra tied on and fishing the bays at around 30-60 m deep, we have never done any good at it lol .
so do that but find shallow water?  is it around 5-10 in stump bay

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 9:36pm
father inlaw caught this in sept last year trolling with 10ish colours out in the delta/stumpbay
was over 10 pound

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 9:42pm
At stump bay early and late in day there are shallow weed beds extending quite some distance from shore- It is less than 10m deep for a long way - has always been a good shallow trolling/harling spot. I have done better with a smelt fly rather than a cobra or toby but they will all work. Make sure hook is really sharp though or you will miss strikes.

More and more Browns are being caught by trolling, harling and jigging than ever before for some reason- used to be very rare but not in the last couple of years for some reason. They are all good fish too but that photo of yours is an absolute beaut. Best way to catch one would be to slow troll the shallower weedbeds like stump bay.

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 9:46pm
yea i need to get an aux motor , my outboard is a too big for the slow idel.
Ill post more reports here from now on,

Posted By: Hsvl
Date Posted: 01 May 2016 at 9:35am
I was down at kuratau last week for a few days. The fishing was fairly hard with lots of undersized fish but we did manage to get a few nice legal rainbows.

We didn't have any strikes harling or trolling, all fish were caught jigging in the 25-35m depth range on drop offs around the river mouths.

-------------
It hit like a freight train, line peeling and drag screaming the rod now doubled with a tell tail nodding and Salt thickening within the veins.

Date Posted: 01 May 2016 at 10:07am
Im sure you all know but just in case some watchers are not aware - no jigging,trolling or harling  within 300m of any rivermouth. That is on your license.
In some rivermouths you can anchor and flyfish eg Tongariro and Tauranga taupo, but not all so again check license.

Posted By: Hsvl
Date Posted: 01 May 2016 at 6:00pm
Yes good point redfinger, I have noticed in the last year an increase of anglers fishing within 300m of river mouths and in particular within 300m of the kuratau spit. It seems to me that it has increased since paper licences have been stopped.

-------------
It hit like a freight train, line peeling and drag screaming the rod now doubled with a tell tail nodding and Salt thickening within the veins.

Posted By: o Neill
Date Posted: 01 May 2016 at 6:33pm
Not only in the Taupo fishery. Do they actually know the rules?

Date Posted: 01 May 2016 at 7:05pm
Yes i am aware of the 300m ruling. I had a jig for 5minits out from the omori stream. But the wind was up and was hard to keep the line straight so pack it in

Date Posted: 01 May 2016 at 7:34pm
i note at Lake Rotoiti it is 200m so you really have to be aware of exactly where you are, what stream you are near etc.
for jigging- target structure, drop offs and obviously bait sign- hence why you need a good fishfinder preferably with gps that can tell you reasonably accurately how far you are from stream mouths. A range finder would be best and that is what the regulatory authorities use if checking your position.

Date Posted: 01 May 2016 at 7:41pm
Im looking at fishfinde?rs to buy, looking at a lowrance elite5 with chart plotter? Anyone reccomend any others

Date Posted: 01 May 2016 at 8:14pm
Lowrance elite 5 just about obselete now but quite ok. The newer Lowrance TI touch is good as utilizes some of the gen 2 screens and technology. The Lowrance Hook 5inch is much the same as the elite 5.
I find the Raymarine Dragonfly pro fine for my little boat - sonar is very good and great value for money.
For under 1k you would get gps version for Dragonfly and maybe hook.
Under $500 fishfinder only options as per above

Posted By: Micsam
Date Posted: 01 May 2016 at 9:41pm
Skinny hungry looking rainbows there!

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 9:38pm
Will be heading up to kuratau in a few weeks , This time of year is jigging worth a shot or a early morning harling session?

Posted By: Rainbow
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 10:33pm
I use a Lowrance  Elite 5 at Rotoiti and could see everything that mattered.    It also has a chart plotter but I never used it.    Probably of some use if you want to mark spots of interest.    SInce I was drift fishing from a kayak I worked with the wind and not along a marked track.    The one problem I had with the Elite was that the 9ah battery would not fully recharge overnight and drained mid afternoon the next day.    I now have two batteries with one on the charger while the other one is fishing.    YOu need a FF when jigging to see what is under your boat and what depth the fish are holding .
Pictures:    Thermocline at 15m   Fish at 20-25m and smelt below  at 30-35m    Also jigging pattern probably the sinker. 
Rainbow

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 11:58am
Can I have gps coords for 3rd picture down please. SmileLots of fish there!
Unusual to have fish above the smelt in the other photo?

Posted By: Espresso
Date Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 12:50pm
Great sounder shots, thanks.

Posted By: Rainbow
Date Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 2:42pm
Redfinger    Haupiru Bay but 3 weeks later they were gone.   

Second photo is the only one showing smelt the rest shows thermocline.     Quite often see non feeding fish above smelt.     They are most probably suspended in their preferred temperature band.    

Rainbow      

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 3:00pm
For me , the fish were consistently holding 20-25m and usually just under the smelt and or thermocline.

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2016 at 3:58pm
Has been hard fishing. But havnt been out early morning or evening yet. Caught 2 jigging and one trolling about 10 colours out.

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 10:41am
Was out Tongariro Delta Thur pm and Fri am.
A bit slow for us sorry to say - always a great place to fish and I really enjoy any time there.
The few fish caught were in reasonable condition and size when compared to the river fish.

A couple of the boys were trolling over Omori way and did really well.

Date Posted: 23 Jan 2017 at 3:33pm
Had a couple of times fishing over xmas and managed to get out say morning. Always caught enough for a feed.
We caught 8 on sat morning keeping four.
Jigging on the morning around 25m.

Date Posted: 23 Jan 2017 at 8:53pm
Nice - good colour in those fish. My old mate Barry has been getting a few Kinloch area down to 60m jigging

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 12:24pm
Was up in kuratau over easter. Lake was calm most of the time. Found the fishing tough. Fished pukawa bay, stump bay, kuratau cliffs, omori stream over the times. Most luck off the omori stream.
Trout taking smelt flies and were very fussy. I was fishing without a leader and had lots of strikes without hookups. Wonder if this was why?

The best of what we got

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 1:30pm
Looks an ok fish to me mate - mostly jigging or a bit of everything?
Did you try at Delta?

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 3:47pm
Only jigging.
Where is the delta?? is that the area as you come out of tokkanu, into the tokkanu hole, where all the swans etc are?

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 4:00pm
The delta is where the tongariro river enters Lake Taupo - about 5 minutes from the end marker Tokaanu heading around to right will get you to main mouth. Sometimes there is a smaller flow into the lake much closer to Tokaanu - look out for yellow black markers - stay 300m away from them if trolling/jigging - check regulations.. 
The Tokaanu hole is a good jigging spot  - only  approx 100m from last Tokaanu marker - you will see drop off on sounder. Alot of fish caught there mostly jigging but also flyfishing and trolling.

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 4:09pm
yup i fished 300m off the tongariro, around 40m, nothing, i never have anyluck around that area tho. Any tips for there
?

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 4:33pm
Caught more jigging back Tokaanu hole area - sometimes find fish in the sounder half way round but not often. Off Omori, Pukawa and the timeshare in the bush near the cliffs is better but must admit to not knowing that area well.

Posted By: BFIST
Date Posted: 30 May 2021 at 2:33pm
Old thread here I'm raking up.

I'm heading to a bach in Motuoapa in a few weeks. Is it worth dragging the boat down to have a go at jigging in mid June?

I've never fished Lake Taupo before.

Date Posted: 31 May 2021 at 10:31am
Wouldnt hurt - should be concentrations fish to jig on outside the 200m limit of river mouths - trolling is always consistent that time of year 6 colours lead line.  

Print Page | Close Window