Print Page | Close Window

shimano reel + rod? tackle advice needed.

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: Hints,Tips and How To's
Forum Description: Rigs, tackle, baits, angling techniques, tips and hints & your DIY projects here
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11301
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 9:04pm

Topic: shimano reel + rod? tackle advice needed.
Posted By: golfpunk
Subject: shimano reel + rod? tackle advice needed.
Date Posted: 31 Oct 2005 at 5:19pm

Hey hope this is the right forum for this question.

I'm pretty keen on getting a quality rod and reel. and I'm looking at the shimano baitrunners at the moment.  What's  the differences between the 3500b, 4500b and 6500b?

Is it size and weight only, therefore rod size and line size also?

At the moment i'm looking for a rod & reel that will advance my fishing skills.  At the moment I am land based, mainly wharf and rock fishing, and probably a spot of boat every now and then.  I want something good for jigging, spinning, straylining. and line size prob in the sport range, say 6 - 10 kg. More or less i think maybe 8kg mono will suffice for the fish i'm after.  The max would at very best be legal kingies.:P  also rod, maybe round 7 foot, with good action?

Any suggestions?  about rods and reels that might suit me?

at the moment i can't get to a tackle store for prob another couple weeks. 

Budget wise probably looking around the $300 mark, but more shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Thanks

Alex

Replies:
Posted By: Roath
Date Posted: 31 Oct 2005 at 5:27pm

*pulls up a chair*

Yep, I'll love to see the answers to this as well

Posted By: Barrie
Date Posted: 31 Oct 2005 at 6:02pm
gesh mate
where do we all start
The Shimano baitrunners have a great reputation as dose the Penn 8500.
The 6500 should do almost all of what you want but you will need a couple of different types of rods.
You will need a rod for surfcasting, straylineing and a different one again for jigging depending on wheather your useing long jigs (Zests) or the more traditional shorter jigs
I just bough a Shimano backbone rod today for one type of fishing (Plastics) and am waiting to see what I need for the Zest jigs.
Good luck and may the bank manager always smile when you visit him

Posted By: LEVCAT
Date Posted: 31 Oct 2005 at 6:30pm
depends if you can cast an overhead or not, i prefer a baitrunner for fishing off the rocks. i've got a shimano 6500b with a spare spool filled up with 15kilo and 10 kilo.
the 6500b can fit about 350 metres of 10 kilo, and about 250 metres of 15kilo. you would probably want a 4500b which can fit about 350 metres of 8 kilo as your fishing is not extreme, how ever if you do want the option of using your reel for heaver jobs such as poppering for gt or kingfish with braid or livebaiting the best option will be the 6500b. if you can cast an overhead there are heaps of good reels around for that job, the best one i think for your budget if you want a good rod to go along with it would be the shimano speedmaster TSM4. it can fit heaps of 10, 8, and a good amount of 15 kilo line on it. the other option for an overhead would be a torium 16, a bit more expensive being $340 but it is worth it as it is a very robust reel and comes with a 10 year warrante.
in terms of rod any will be good, i bet you could get a decent combo of maby a backbone 8-10kilo rod. but i recommend getting one with a flexy tip.
either way it doesn't matter what combo that i mentioned y ou choose. because you will be able to land you anything that you encounter. ask matt watson he landed a marlin on a torium 30 spooled with 24kg braid, and i'm sure you would be able to do the same thing with a torium 16. go to a boat show or wait until the combos and discounts come on and you will be in buisness.

sweet as. LEVCAT OUT.

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2005 at 12:56am

Thanks LEVCAT and Barrie for ya advice. much appreciated!

for the time being  the sportier/ lighter side of things sounds more interesting, the 4500 sounds good out of the shimano range.

The 6500 seems a tad on the heavy side for what i want out of my gear at the moment.  So the diff really is only line capacity and weight of reel?

oh and casting overhead? yeah i'm getting the hang of that now.

hey does body size matter at all in relation to gear?  or is it just what ya prefer and what's comfortable.?

BARRIE: What sort of plastics are you using?

oh and when is the Boat Show on and where is it held?

and my last question (sorry for bugging ya all) is.....The flexi tip, is that just a general flexi tip or a specific patent feature? clear construction right?

Thanks heaps!

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2005 at 7:10am
Im useing (or going to) Berkley as the Video I have is one of theres and the advertiseing that is done on them sounds convinceing

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2005 at 3:05pm

I just got some berkley pillies.

they smell 'pungeantly chemical' haha.

i can imagine the fish will love it, they look great too.  is the vid just on plastics fishing?

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2005 at 5:29pm
yes
would you like to borrow it?
DVD not video
home 8183132

Posted By: cod
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2005 at 5:57pm
check out the berkley power bait range in plastics. work well. hey those gulp baits sure are smelly.but look like the real thing.

-------------
cod

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2005 at 6:06pm

Flexy tip: one with a bendy/flexible tip  but a strong butt section to stop the big fish from diving down into the reef.

Overheads: they are one of the best form of reel that you can use for your fishing.......IF YOU CAN CAST THEM............if you can't the baitrunner would be the next best option..... if you are unsure wether you can or cannot cast them then don't get one.

Boat show: ummmmmm, the one for auckland has just been and will come again next year but i'm sure you could find a summer special.

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2005 at 8:28pm
cod
In the DVD they say that the gulp baits can melt into a "glob". Untill I know what Im doing, I think I will give them a miss

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2005 at 11:24pm

thanks for the info guys.  I got the overhead thing completely wrong haha.

Barrie - Yeah i'd love to borrow.  I could courier it back to ya shortly after.

oh those 'pillies' i was tallking about are the 4inch pogys. 4 to a pack $10.

Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2005 at 11:50pm
Hey Punk, I'm going to ask you a question: Do you feel lucky?

Don't apologise for asking questions aye, we like to hear tham, and we all learn from the answers, all we want in exchange for sharing this info is that you continue to join in on the forum. My mate just bought a 6500 and rod , brand new for $300, I am so jealous if it wasnt for the fact that he has guns i would go round and steal it. Very nice gear. Get the 6500. Light gear landbased leads to heartbreak.

-------------
Best gurnard fisherman in my street

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2005 at 7:32am
also you have the choice to upgrade and put something heaver on if you want to

Posted By: CanadianJohn
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2005 at 11:11am
golfpunk, spinning reel is a better bet if you can only afford one set. you're able to buy extra spools for them to run different line weights.

-------------

Posted By: KingfishSi
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2005 at 11:19am
Golfpunk, I've got a Baitrunner 3500B and 6500B. Both exactly the same except for the size, line weight and capacity.

Have had the 6500B for a few years now and it's been knocked around on the rocks but works as good as new. Have 2 spools for it. One with 10kg and the other with 15kg mono. Am going to replace the 15kg with braid soon.

Bullet proof reels and excellent value for money.

-------------
Keep knockin', nobody's home.

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2005 at 2:32pm

i realise that having the smaller reel will probably lead to heartache when those snapps and kings break me off, but i'm also worried about holding the big reel up all day long waiting for the big ones, when i could be sporting the pannies around and get a good work out. haha

So as i see it at the moment, the advantage of having a bigger reel is that you'll get bigger guns from holding the thing up all day, and that it will hold more line therefore thicker line also.

How often or how important is it to have 250m + of line on the reel? is there a big difference in how much line ya have available to run out? what are your experiences. 

I think for now, getting something smaller more versatile might be a good idea, and if i start getting annoyed that i'm losing some good opportunites, it might be worth in investing in something bigger? or on the other hand, i could just go for the bigger reel to start off with. :P

Posted By: KingfishSi
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2005 at 2:45pm
I've used my 6500B heaps and heaps from the rocks. It hasn't given me bigger guns.

3500B = 561gms

4500B = 630gms

6500B = 870gms

So, they aren't the lightest reels about but don't exactly weigh a ton either.

You want to have your reel spooled up properly. The less line on the reel the more drag it creates. I think is how it goes like that... Would one of the pros please step up???

Also, try casting with a reel with a half empty spool!

-------------
Keep knockin', nobody's home.

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2005 at 4:04pm
agree with that Si.

punk, if you want to be sporty go with the 4500 and put 8kg on it. heaps of great snapper have been landed on 8 kg and if you're worried about lane capacity put some braid on and top shot it on with 200 metres of 8kg mono. that would be the way to go because you will have over 400 metres or over on your line if a snapper can pull that much i'll be dammed.........

that would be the way to go. except get it professionally spolled by w.s lauries or a tackel store of some kind.

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2005 at 5:35pm

thanks once again fellas.

i was just more concerned with the amount of probably uneccesary line there'd be on say a 6500b properly spooled with some 6-8kg mono.  I was thinking that the lighter lines aren't too ideally suited to that reel model. but would be good a good one for 15kilo spare spool.

KF si, i know what ya mean bout the proper spooling.  you lose so much distance casting if your reel isn't properly spooled or is missing a couple hundy metres out of it.

400m of line and big snap daddy screaming out to see on the end of it. now that be a site.

Ok i'm kinda slowly making up my mind and narrowing the decision down to a few prospects.  I went to the local boat and fish store here in Warkworth, and they have a couple 4500b + reel combos for $320 and one slightly more expensive with 6'6 and 7' rods, beastmaster and uglystick if i recall right.  I'd be keen to find the best deal around, so i'm gonna go check out Smartmarine when i ever get a chance to get down there.

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2005 at 6:21pm
sounds good go with the 4500b, and like i said if your worried about the line capacity put on some braid and then top shot it with about 200 metres of 8kg mono. good luck with the hunt will give you a call if i see any reasonable priced deals about.

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2005 at 6:43pm

what do ya think about the beastmaster rods? are they boat rods only? i can't find any descent info on the net about them.

Posted By: Blue Asparagus
Date Posted: 05 Nov 2005 at 7:21pm
they will do the same off the rocks as a boat but wont cast as far as a longer rod, but get one with say no more than 6 guides and make sure they are of the larger size i.e used for fixed spool reels not free spool now as for the reels my 6500 has caught everything from 20k kings to 20lb snaps and even nailed a makop of about 80kg while live baiting for kings at the back of Kawau. reading what others have said buy the bigger reel here and down size the line at least if you get hammered you can go to heavier line. also get 2 spools 1 for lighter line the other for heavier say 15kg. hope this helps but as for the rod mmmmm get a kilwell 10- 15 jelly tip these are an awesome rod and reel set up my J/T is a 15 to 24 and i fish 15 over it a great set up indeedy.

-------------
Ultimate GAME Fishing Adventures. Northland

Posted By: peejay
Date Posted: 05 Nov 2005 at 8:52pm

I am about to replace my old Baitrunner and am going for jellytip too. Just cant decide between jelly 6ft and BT4500 or jelly7ft and BT6500.

Either way they are a great combo, unbeatable for straylining.

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2005 at 9:00pm
Go 7 mate and 6500 like i said you can add lighter line and fish less drag but is hard to go the other way on a reel really suited to 8-10k

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2005 at 10:15pm

how much are those kilwell JT's?  any cheaper alternatives? or are these well worth it?

the 6500 just seems like a monster to me. and at the mo i don't see what the extra advantages are of it, apart from line capacity.  unless you think it's fine to be fishing 14 lb line on the 6500 and have an interchangeable 30 lb spool for kingie and heavy rock and foul fishing? 

but i was thinking that i could achieve the same if i get a 4500 and if i want some heavier line just go braid and top shot with some mono to achieve the capacity, thereby reducing overall bulk of reel?

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2005 at 10:32pm
see what your saying, but it comes down to the drag. Mate you decide, your the one fishing with it so go hard, if your looking for alternative rods etc it may pay to go to some shops and have a looksee and see what is around for the money, personally i know what i would be doing and when you loose that fish of a life time on the lighter stuff you will see where i am coming from. good luck.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2005 at 10:24am

........................... but when you do land that fish of a lifetime on lighter gear you will feel more self fufilled (spelling).

if you land a 30 pound snapper on 15kg, ok well that's really good.................... but if you land it on 8kg, well thats AMAZING.

dude just go with what you feel is right. i say go with the 4500 and if you do want to target bigger things save up and get the 6500 or TLD25 next year or something like that.

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2005 at 6:34pm

Yes!

thanks for all the info guys, at the mo i'm just looking on trade me for any hot deals, but i suspect i won't really buy anything until i have a good look at one of the more reputable fishing stores around auckland.  So that's gonna have to wait another couple of weeks.

and i do see what your saying bout bringing in that fish of a lifetime and ensuring the catch due to heavy gear, but it seems i'll probably have to learn the hard way lol.  I gotta work my way up the food chain first anyhows.

How important is the rod itself? i mean i know a crappy one will break on ya in the worst of times, but in terms of matching it up to your line strength? and style of fishing? how good are those shimano taipans? they're about the cheapest in the range arn't they? do u notice a huge difference when fishing under normal circumstances?

thanks again.!

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2005 at 9:04pm
go into a professional tackel store, i.e. w.s. lauries, and tell show them the reel that you want to get and what line to put on it and they will tell you the right rod to go along wiht it (well that's what they did to me). i say go for one with a flexy tip, 7-8ft long, and rated say 6-10kg or 8-10kg. there is a coulpe of rods in the backbone and taipan range that are 7ft long and are rated 6-10kg.

the world is your oyster, there are heaps of sweeeeeeeeet rods out there so just go with the one that you feel is right.

here are a couple of some rods that might be put into consideration; shimano backbone, beastmaster, spectrum, taipan; Kilwell livefiber and jelly tip rods; shakespear rods; penn power stick and penn powerstick pro series; daiwa V.I.P and others...................................................

just really depends on what your budget is............................ there is a rod for everything. and the options are endless...........

just go and see a GOOD tackel store and hey will put you in the right direction......

SWEET AS              LEVCAT

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2005 at 11:41pm

hey went down to westhaven had a looksie around after my final exam. and ended up buying a 3500b . 8kg mono, 7ft 6-10kg beastmaster combo for 250, which i thought was reasonable, so i got it!!

i kinda decided to go for the lighter side of things, and the options are there if i wanna step it up to another setup for bigger fish later.

with this one, i'll probably go some fireline on there at a later stage too, and get into some plastics maybe.

Posted By: Moocha
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2005 at 10:14am
Nice set up Golfpunk.  I like the look of the 3500b as well great price although I was looking at matching it to a 8ft 3-6kg backbone rob for soft plastics (with mandatory fireline )

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2005 at 12:43am

yeah i was thinking that earlier today, whether it may be abit heavy, but casting it in the garden felt nice.

the moimoe line 8kg i have on there at the mo i think is too thick for it. 
some 10-14lb fireline will be going on their soon enough!

how much is that backbone rod by itself.?

Posted By: Moocha
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2005 at 10:46am
Down this way about $140 but I am sure with the competition up there in Aucks you could probably get it quite a bit cheaper I am sure Cod or Strawberry can point you in the right direction. I will be getting one in the next few weeks should be a whole lot of fun.

Print Page | Close Window