Forum Name: Buy Sell Trade or Exchange
Forum Description: Anything used that you want to buy or sell
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=108767
Printed Date: 07 Dec 2022 at 10:32am

Topic: BEWARE OF SCAMMERS
Posted By: smudge
Subject: BEWARE OF SCAMMERS
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 11:33pm
We've recently had a couple of new members advertise gear for sale and at least two forum members have paid for goods they never received. Those scammers appear to be the same guy so their accounts have been disabled and I understand the police are involved.

Beware of new members, especially if there are no pics or any deal that doesn't involve cash on pick up.

The scammers appeared very genuine  so please be careful!

[Edit Grunta: Be wary of buying stuff from first time posters or posters that are not regular members of this site. Scammers we know about are:
Kiwisteve & kiwisteve1211 - e: [email protected]
Sharkthrasher - e: [email protected]

By the looks of the e-mail address it's the same individual. The bank's fraud squad are after this guy and we look forward to the word that he's been nailed for fraud. If your seller doesn't deliver the goods get in touch with your bank immediately as they can track back from a bank account. Better still have someone pick up the goods on your behalf if it's not local and hand over the cash at the time. Importantly, as Smudge said, be careful.]

Replies:
Posted By: MacSkipper
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 7:08am
Crikey Smudge you got to be careful these days - there are some real scum around. I guess that the down side of this site being popular.

-------------
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.

Posted By: BigMike
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 11:00am
If anyone wants an item viewed in Auckland I am happy to go and look at it for you and make sure it exists/look the dude in the eye/remind them I now know where they live.

Posted By: Davefish
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 11:08am
that's a generous offer, good onya.Clap

Posted By: Seasider
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 11:14am
Originally posted by BigMike BigMike wrote:

If anyone wants an item viewed in Auckland I am happy to go and look at it for you and make sure it exists/look the dude in the eye/remind them I now know where they live.
Same goes for Whangarei guys 
Happy for Marine North to be drop off point as well.

Posted By: smelli
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 12:52pm
Ditto if you looking at anything in hawkes bay too

-------------
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=717361

Posted By: Big Manly Yaka
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 1:50pm
what was the gear Smudge? wasn't any of the gear pinched from Marine Deals ?

Posted By: Gowest
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 2:22pm
Good to see guys looking out for each other. Would it help to maybe make pics compulsory??? Just a thought

Posted By: Kevin.S
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 2:30pm
Did these scams involve NZ bank transfers?  I've always been wary of either offshore accounts or paypal type transfers but thought an NZ bank transfer was relatively safe (or at least traceable by the Police).

Posted By: catch1t
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 2:45pm
there is a way of making it harder for them, to advertise in our buy,sell,exchange they must have a minimum number of posts,, a few forums do this and I'm pretty sure its available to most systems like this.. 

Posted By: MarkE
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by Kevin.S Kevin.S wrote:

Did these scams involve NZ bank transfers?  I've always been wary of either offshore accounts or paypal type transfers but thought an NZ bank transfer was relatively safe (or at least traceable by the Police).

Paypal is actually very good - if you dont receive the goods your'e refunded.

-------------
Sea Strike 18' Centre Console - Under Construction.... http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/sea-strike-18-build-thread_topic87723_page1.html" rel="nofollow - Build Thread here

Posted By: pjc
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 3:45pm
Maybe time has come to put full information on profile.fail to comply cannot use buy sell?still the old story buyer beware .

-------------
Sex at 58.Lucky I live at 56

Posted By: DenimViper
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 3:48pm
Getting scammed really bites. Happened to me on ebay buying a watch, thankfully they have good buyers protection insurance. Just annoying to go through procedures to resolve. Hopefully these scum get caught

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 4:46pm
I don't want to say too much about what happened but the gear was unlikely to be stolen, in my opinion it didn't even exist. The sad thing is the 'seller' knew what he was 'selling' so was a fisherman. A fisherman it seems based in Oz. Yes I'm sure controls can be put in place and once Grunta is back in the hot seat I'm sure he will install a few controls.

BigMike, I like your style!

-------------
Best gurnard fisherman in my street

Posted By: Moocha
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 4:47pm
Did you get stung for those two used Goats as well Smudge... geeze you live and learn huh Wink

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by Moocha Moocha wrote:

Did you get stung for those two used Goats as well Smudge... geeze you live and learn huh Wink
Yes I did! Your ad didn't say they had been usedBig smile

-------------

Posted By: Grunta
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 5:09pm
Just added a bit to your post at the beginning Smudge. There's very little we can do in the way of specific controls but your bank's fraud squad will do their best track down anyone who is scamming like this. Best option is to collect the goods and hand over the cash at the same time or get someone to do it on your behalf if it's not a local seller. 

Posted By: kaimaikid
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 5:37pm
I can offer to check goods for folk wanting stuff from Tauranga and hold them if needed

Maybe make a list of guys who can do this so hopefully we can cover the whole country

Posted By: tas-tackle
Date Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 3:59pm
I'm happy to do so along the Northern east coast  mangonui, taipa and kaitaia..
Boat are my specialty but all fishing gear.. also .
I have always thought there was honour and trust among fishnet fishos  ..
There will always be those that are too lazy to earn their own monies and find it easier to scam those who work hard for their bucks..  I spose its best beware of those with few postings and who have recently joined the site..  if it seems too good to be true it normally is... use your noggin and as mentioned, goods for cash is best served with those folk.. unless a regular on fishnet..

-------------
http://postimage.org/" rel="nofollow">
http://www.tas-tackle.co.nz

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by tas-tackle tas-tackle wrote:

I have always thought there was honour and trust among fishnet fishos  ..
There will always be those that are too lazy to earn their own monies and find it easier to scam those who work hard for their bucks..  I spose its best beware of those with few postings and who have recently joined the site..  if it seems too good to be true it normally is... use your noggin and as mentioned, goods for cash is best served with those folk.. unless a regular on fishnet..
Anyone can join after all, this guy did so simply to steal some money. The regulars aren't a problem.

-------------

Posted By: CJB10
Date Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 7:20pm
same goes for kapiti coast lads. 

Posted By: Kabinda
Date Posted: 20 May 2015 at 8:25pm
Happy to have gear dropped off or sent to our shop in Tauranga or just sight it if its local for you so you know its genuine and its condition etc, can even freight it on to you if needed (obviously you will need to cover the freight cost...)

Hell I'll even test the gear out for you, (boats included, lol)

Cheers
Brendon

Posted By: orange ruffie
Date Posted: 22 May 2015 at 9:54am
I have a bridge for sale if anyone is interested it's located between herne bay and north shore payment to my samalian bank preferred

Posted By: xtreamz
Date Posted: 29 May 2015 at 1:49pm
Looking at all these people offering to look at items in different areas, would it be worth having a pinned topic with the names/locations collaborated together listed nicely so users can easily find it/know who to contact for their area?

Posted By: Kabinda
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2015 at 4:02pm
x2, good idea xtreamz

Posted By: marlinmarty
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 6:59am
I think it is time real names and locations were required on profiles
Personally I reckon it makes everyone just a little more cautious about being a dick online

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Otto
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 7:41am
Originally posted by marlinmarty marlinmarty wrote:

I think it is time real names and locations were required on profiles
Personally I reckon it makes everyone just a little more cautious about being a dick online

Thumbs Up 

Posted By: Gowest
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 8:32am
That would just open up a can worms.

Posted By: Grasshoppa
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 9:16am
Locations should be a no brainer, if for nothing but potential buyers knowing whether they can pickup or will have to pay freight which in most instances can be the difference with buying or not

Posted By: muchalls
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 7:31pm
Anonymity is always an issue on fora. I am a member of a medical website forum, it allows anonymous profiles (due to several cases of comments made in a restricted forum not available to the public being made public- example below)
However in theory to be a member their requires proof of identity as a doctor. It is not a publicly accessible forum. "What's said in the doctors mess, stays in the doctors mess"?type of thing, we need a safe place to ask clinical questions and have a whinge about work in privacy.

I would support basics ie real name and location on profiles. After all, isn't this meant to be a useful informative place to share knowledge, ask dumb questions, criticise, whilst recognising there may be comebacks if you act like a dick?
Feel free to ask dumb questions- I have, as a newcomer. But gratuitous abuse shouldn't be tolerated, just ridiculed. Friendly banter between the true enlightened fisher folk (aka string pullers) and the bottom dwelling breath holders (spearo's) is fine, just read twice before posting potentially offensive comments.

The case in question was a junior doc. who referred to one of those behind the restructuring (total balls up mess) of medical training as a "f$$cking ****" in this private doctors only forum.
http://www.ganfyd.org/index.php?title=Scot_Junior
Anyhoo, just my long winded view of things, for the record my name and location are real, so piss easy to find out who I am!

Posted By: AndrewLBG
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 8:16pm
Hi I would be more than happy to help anyone with gear bought out of Gisborne. Maybe those managing the site can create a network around the country of people who can be a point of contact in each city etc. Then there can be some accountability for those selling gear etc

Posted By: Billfish2
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2015 at 3:46pm
Hi All

Has anyone bought glasses through Smartbuyglasses?

I am looking at buying a pair of Sunnies, from this web site.

But the prices seem too good to be true.

Had a look online scamadvisor, it comes up they are 100% trusted.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Posted By: makka
Date Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 1:22pm
Edited

Posted By: Titahi
Date Posted: 04 Jun 2017 at 11:46am
Does anyone know if Kiwi steve the scammer ever recieved the attention he deserved? As in matramonial duties with his cell mate?

-------------
"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"

Posted By: Coutta
Date Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 5:30pm
I've said it before guys, "nothing good ever comes out of Australia."

Posted By: Mejiro
Date Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 11:41am
I'm available in Doubtless Bay if needed to check or pick up anything 

Posted By: claw
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 8:03am
Anybody know of this so called company?

"Outboardprice.com"

Looks well set up.

BUT! "Be Aware" It smells fishy.

From what I can find out it is a scam.
Waiting for reply from them.
And have contacted Embassy here to have them checked.
I know the phone number listed belongs to someone who knows nothing about this company.

Posted By: ifpx181
Date Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 11:30am
Any news on this company from the Embassy?

Thanks!

Posted By: ramzan
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 4:47am
Very Nice Info ..
I don't want to say too much about what happened but the gear was unlikely to be stolen, in my opinion it didn't even exist. The sad thing is the 'seller' knew what he was 'selling' so was a fisherman http://https://www.mazuzee.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=2474" rel="nofollow -   http://https://www.mazuzee.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=2474" rel="nofollow - boat storage abudhabi . A fisherman it seems based in Oz. Yes I'm sure controls can be put in place and once Grunta is back in the hot seat I'm sure he will install a few controls.

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 6:17am
That's an old post Ramzan Ermm

-------------

Posted By: bazza
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 9:14am
Re stolen goods :-

As an aside to this thread may be worth keeping in mind the law as I understand it to be re stolen goods :-

Stolen goods belong to & must be returned to the previously legal owner regardless of how far down the chain.

The buyer even if legitimate is usually the party who misses out regardless of being unaware the goods had been stolen.

If this is the situation ( maybe any legal beagles here could advise ) then simply paying for the goods on payment does not necessarily offer protection unless the buyer can extract payment from the seller
but have to ask yourself what are the chances of that happening  ?

An aquaintance was once paid a considerable amount of cash the day after there was a robbery close to where the the buyer lived. He had no proof the payment was from the proceeds of the robbery but was advised that if it could be related then it legally would have to return the payment received to the bank.

Consequently they spent a considerable amount of time depositing staggered amounts into as many accounts as possible.

-------------
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2022 at 9:08pm
Latest scammer...

-------------
Sea Strike 18' Centre Console - Under Construction.... http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/sea-strike-18-build-thread_topic87723_page1.html" rel="nofollow - Build Thread here

Posted By: Uncle
Date Posted: 19 Mar 2022 at 9:19pm
Yes, agreed MarkE
I'll terminate his membership.

Posted By: Coutta
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 10:45am
MarkE. You beat me to it with that prick. I put out a post looking for a Terez rod and he replied with all sorts of quotes and promises. He was persistent when I told him no. He gave an address in the states.

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 9:58am
colinbo... spammer.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window