Forum Name: Rod Building
Forum Description: Rod building chat here
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=104940
Printed Date: 03 Jul 2020 at 9:26am

Topic: Bamboo blank - guides etc?
Posted By: muchalls
Subject: Bamboo blank - guides etc?
Date Posted: 31 Oct 2014 at 9:40pm
Aside from some complete rods, I have 5 lengths of bamboo blank. I have spliced 2 together and reckon it would make a nice 7'6" 5 wt rod. However, I am unsure of how to finish it. Aside from the ferrules, would snake guides be ok or too 'modern'?
Also, reel seat? All advice appreciated, it should make a nice trout rod, but it would be nice to finish it in an. Appropriate style, not too modern,

Replies:
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 10:13pm
And....where can I get ferrules in NZ? Or do I just order from mudhole?

Posted By: Xtoad
Date Posted: 07 Nov 2014 at 1:45pm
Snake guides would be perfect, you can get 'older" looking ones.
REC make fantastic products including ferrules.
Try the following forum for ideas, its the best for fly rod building.
www.rodbuildingforum.com/index.php?s=7b313879f21d691ea66dcf23d3881cf5&showforum=2

Posted By: Barra10
Date Posted: 07 Nov 2014 at 2:57pm
There is a post further down the rod building section regarding the Aus agent for Alps components. They have a heap of product and some nice looking ferrules (not too modern looking), do different coloured snake guides too so may find one that suits.

Good guys to deal with and well priced.

Not sure what fly seats they do, for a rod like that I'd maybe look to purchase the two separate ends of the reel seat and turn/get someone to turn up some nice native wood for a spacer.

Date Posted: 09 Nov 2014 at 8:17pm
Thanks guys, will look at these once I get my broadband back! Moved house last week, no phone, boxes everywhere but.........I have a study and a garage :)
Once we ditch some of the garage stuff it's workbench time and rod wrapping.

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2014 at 11:40pm
Parts sourced, just waiting for decent ferrules

Looks,like,my dad used D thread and varnish, I intend to use A silk.

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 10:33pm
Right, time moves on, sourced a red Agate stripping guide from Mudhole, is it ok to use this with snake guides or should I get double foot ring guides for authenticity/age? I aim to have a modernish update so it has a half wells grip, alloy reel seat with wood insert. The Agate guide is small, should I just go full modern with larger ring stripping guides?
And I have some lovely ferrules- will it be ok using A thread? Got some nice red silk in A. My Dads rods had D on the guides and ferrules. Chunky!
The more I progress, the more I aim to fish this rod.

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 8:15pm
Bumpity. Single small agate stripping guide and snakes for the rest?

A thread to bind the ferrules?

Print Page | Close Window