Print Page | Close Window

THIS is the fisheries management forum!

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: General Forums
Forum Name: Fisheries Management
Forum Description: Anything to do with fisheries management here please
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=104150
Printed Date: 23 Feb 2024 at 10:39pm

Topic: THIS is the fisheries management forum!
Posted By: Capt Asparagus
Subject: THIS is the fisheries management forum!
Date Posted: 29 Sep 2014 at 8:42am
Ta-raaaaaaaa! Here it is, the place for all threads relating to fisheries management and politics. Feel free to vent your spleen....within moderation rules of course, about anything to do with our fishery, the govt, MPI, you know, all that good stuff.
Enjoy!

-------------
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.

Replies:
Posted By: Fishabunga
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2014 at 9:58am
well done moderators and admin and it is good that it is still part of the briny bar.

-------------
FISH FIGHT AOTEAROA THE PEOPLES PROTEST

Posted By: Godders
Date Posted: 05 Nov 2014 at 5:36pm
Ive had a few people tell me the 7 snapper limit only apllies to boats and not contikis or off the rocks.maybe this needs to be clarified to the masses.

Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 05 Nov 2014 at 5:54pm
The 30cm minimum size 7 snapper limit applies to all forms of recreational fishing in Snapper Area 1 (SNA1) which covers the north island's east coast from East Northland down to the Bay of Plenty.

I get asked this question by so many fishermen it's crazy, especially those fishing the west coast asking if the limit there has changed. It shows how much some people care about it.

-------------
Best gurnard fisherman in my street

Posted By: Fishabunga
Date Posted: 05 Nov 2014 at 6:00pm
there are certainly a few fisho's out there who either don't give a toss or they are morons .

-------------
FISH FIGHT AOTEAROA THE PEOPLES PROTEST

Posted By: Lethal
Date Posted: 05 Nov 2014 at 7:03pm
they are morons for sure, its them that have no idea about what is happening to our fish stocks or even care about it, long as they can catch a feed they don't give a toss, same dicks that drown can not launch a boat or carry any safety gear or even know any of the rules for on water boating.

-------------
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing

Posted By: Shua
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 9:28am
Hi guys!
We are trying to create more of a movement in Wellington! We are in the process of recruiting volunteers, sponsors and legends. We want to show that LegaSea is a nationwide project trying to conserve fish so we can all continue to go out after work/weekends/"sick" days and get ourselves a few nice fish. It is a kiwi institution to be able to do so, and we want to make sure that this can happen for many years to come! We are going to be organising more events around the region and would love for all of you to show your love and dedication to fishing and come get involved. There are many different levels of involvement, something fit for everyone. If anyone is interested and wishes to discuss further how you can do your part, feel free to private message me, or email me at [email protected], and we can find the best way for you guys to help out. We have some exciting projects coming up, and are also super keen to hear what you guys have to say about what needs to be done in the region, we are all about fish for the people, what better way of doing that than finding out what the people want!! Cheers for your time, and I look forward to hearing from you
http://mmsfc.co.nz/wp/tournaments/frontend/membership/wp-/uploads/2013/08/Legasea.jpg

Posted By: bazza
Date Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 2:43pm

http://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/world/%e2%80%98sea-slaves%e2%80%99-forced-labor-for-cheap-fish/ar-AAdynEU" rel="nofollow - http://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/world/%e2%80%98sea-slaves%e2%80%99-forced-labor-for-cheap-fish/ar-AAdynEU

-------------
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 4:42pm
bloody shocking bazza, hope that film “ghost ships” will make people sit up and see/understand what is happening else where and decide on a way to combat the problem...

-------------
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing

Posted By: pjc
Date Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 6:18pm
who watched maori tv last night on pacific crossing?they stopped at some island where hundreds of shark fins drying and the water nearby floating shark carcesses,should of been on main stream tv,shocking

-------------
Sex at 58.Lucky I live at 56

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 5:10pm
shark fins start at 15mins or watch the whole show which is very informant for sure,
thanks pjc,

http://www.maoritelevision.com/tv/shows/te-mana-o-te-moana-pacific-voyagers/S01E002/te-mana-o-te-moana-pacific-voyagers-series-1" rel="nofollow - http://www.maoritelevision.com/tv/shows/te-mana-o-te-moana-pacific-voyagers/S01E002/te-mana-o-te-moana-pacific-voyagers-series-1

-------------

Posted By: pjc
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 5:54pm
Between shark finning or orca/dolphin killing in the farore island not sure which is more shocking

-------------
Sex at 58.Lucky I live at 56

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 7:10pm
the way we are treating this planet and its animals we don't have more than 60-75 year left anyway,
and just going by the attitude of people towards their environment it sure as hell is heading that way rather faster than we all realize, 
just read a scary environmental impact by a women scientist were she is so concerned for our planet she broke into tears while addressing others on the subject,
if we knew that 60plus years from now the oceans could be poisons to everything that lives in it "dead sea" and the currents stop flowing which in turn will change the weather to heaven knows what, storms and smell of a rotting ocean will be what might be left, the warning signs are already there on a gigantic scale,
but the wannabes that keep raping and pillaging our oceans are not stopped just because they can will not go away till its not worth it,

so which country will step up to the plate first and try to address the problem?        

-------------

Posted By: Olfart
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 5:01pm
Good to see some prompt action being taken:  5 Commercial boats could be under investigation after "snapper slick" sighted and reported off the Hen and Chicks...
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11491282" rel="nofollow - http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11491282

-------------
Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Date Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 10:55pm
great to see people still keeping an eye out and doing the right thing,
also great to see MPI right onto it..
would love to see the footage and roughly how many fish....
cheers Olfart..

-------------

Posted By: cirrus
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 11:39am
So the death machines are sweeping the waters around the chicks again. Following the shrinking Bio mass round and round with the seasons.
MPI rush to the scene. Excuses coming out already.
All superficial.
Real and pressing issue is. Why in this so called enlightened day and age is destructive trawling allowed in the nursery and spawning grounds of our major commercial and recreational species-snapper. Why does this this stoneage practice still exist when better & higher value methods of catching  snapper can be used,with much less destruction of seabed and small fish & much less "Accidental" spillage

Posted By: Rusky
Date Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 1:06pm
MPI should be red faced over this blunder. They (MPI Auckland) knew about an accidental spillage yet failed to inform Wellington MPI of the incident and launched a full scale investigation and wasted tax payers money on hiring a plane and launching boats when all they had to do is look at tracking systems they have in place with seine/trawlers and go through a process of elimination.

If this is how MPI react to such incidents then how are we to manage our fisheries in a sustainable way?

Posted By: Smithy7
Date Posted: 11 Dec 2015 at 11:22am
What is peoples opinion on here about mataitai reserves. Local tribe is trying to establish one around a very popular fishing area of Whakatane and also along the coast. Seems to me that they will have control of that area and be able to exclude people from the areas, but still be able to issue permits for tribe members to carrying on fishing. Though we had a system for protecting the fishery or managing it for everyone not just one group. What's your thoughts?

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2015 at 5:14pm
welcome aboard Smithy7, Smile

they will look after it better than anyone else can,

Seems to me that they will have control of that area and be able to exclude people from the areas,

they can and will, in most cases exclude commercial fishing from the area and also lower limits for everyone till a restock has been completed,

dont worry Smithy7 its for the better.

we have one in the Bay of Islands, still not the best fishing but no Comm fishing of any type is allowed including Crays.

-------------

Posted By: Marligator
Date Posted: 11 Dec 2015 at 5:35pm
Smithy when a Mataitai is established for an area all commercial are automatically excluded. However the legislation does allow the Mataitai trustees to allow certain types of commercial fishing back in, but it has to be okayed by the Minister of Conservation and  Minister of Fisheries and as far as I am aware no commercials have been allowed back into a Mataitai to date even though requests have been made.

They are potentially very good for fisheries management but there is no statutory right for non maori to be appointed to the board of trustees, however if non-maori work closely with maori on this and everybody has the same common goals then you may be able to talk them into having non-maori on the board of trustees, maybe not with voting rights but more as a advisory role, which is the case with the Mt Maunganui Mataitai.

The by far better option is the Taupuri Reserve which has a board made up of community members both maori and non-maori. However these are extremely difficult to get through all the hoops and MPI are quite opposed to them and push for Mataitai instead and maori prefer Mataitai as they have control.

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2015 at 6:10pm
Ok, so in the fine print in your local mataitai reserves does it contain the same " we can exclude everyone, but then allow tribe members to fish with a permit the same as now". Seems to me they are just wanting to exclude everyone but the tribes members. For them to close an area, what are they basing it on. There is no stock assessment done on this area now. Surely it would have to be done on a scientific survey not just a "I think the stock is low. Close the area.
Guess I'm very suspicious as I don't like the way it is all going especially when they want control of all the fresh water sources as well

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2015 at 9:34pm
i can see your concern Smithy7 but considering that has not been implimented in any other mataitai reserves i beleive you might just be over reacting a little,
sure they do have the right to close an area down totally but its not in their interest to do so, 
unless of coarse a particulate species is totally under threat of being wiped out,
you do realize you can get a permit to cover a funeral or birthday for yourself just like they do,

-------------

Posted By: Marligator
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 6:54am
Another thing to remember is that they may wish to do these things but all conditions of the Mataitai have to be signed off by the Ministers in charge of Fisheries and I think Conservation. From what I can gather if it is not in the general public interest they will not sign off on it.
This Mataitai application for the Whakatane area has been going on for several years now. I have had updates about its progress through being a delegate for the NZSFC. From what I can gather the proposed area covered by the Mataitai is much smaller than the original proposal as there are some small commercial operators (cray fisherman and/or long liners) who operate out of the Thorton River mouth who would have been put out of business and they have a history of fishing these waters going way back (Note these are small sustainable fishing operations not mass fish removal operations) and it was thought that there was no way the Minister would have approved this.

Also they can't just have a blanket ban on the taking of fish/shellfish etc they have to stipulate what species are in trouble and have some evidence to back this up.

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 6:52pm
Yeah Thanks for that Lethal and Marligator. As I said I'm alittle suspicious. We have lost a lot of hunting areas when they have said nothing will change with them managing it, and now only certain people can hunt behind Kawerau. Now another tribe is looking at banning  people from hunting in the ureweras You should be able to see my concern when areas are taken out of crown control, for the benefit of everyone and given to one group to control. I believe the locals at Matata are also looking at a Mataitai off there.

Posted By: Glaucus
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 2:36pm
I'd just like to add that Mataitai are not predominantly designed to be a stock replenishing tool.

It is a result of honouring/ acknowledging (choose which you prefer) the Treaty of Waitangi and is carried out by different legislation (including Fisheries Act). Matatai is an area of water; rohe moana, that is of special importance (in the way of customary fishing) to iwi/hapu and allows the iwi to manage that area.

The iwi has to have their rohe moana gazetted, this can be difficult to do, particularly where a lot of iwi/ hapu have overlapping areas of significance (particularly east cape) and cannot come to an agreement about their boundaries.

Marligator is right, comms are nearly always automatically excluded from fishing in a mataitai but the iwi can create by-laws to allow certain methods back in. These by-laws can also be created around recreational catch. They can't however choose that only Maori can fish there but no one else, but yes would be able to make it customary authorisation only. 

I'm not too sure if any mataitai has actually managed to put in place their own recreational by-laws though... Would be interesting to know.

Posted By: sposman
Date Posted: 21 Jun 2016 at 8:04pm
Yeah look up Sealord deal in govt website , gives full description to DOC. Interesting that Moari under the Sealords deal in 1992 got 10 percent of quota bought back and given to them,plus half shares in Sealord which have 23% of quota. And also 20% of all new species. Given that Sealords and Sanfords are overfishing, dumping and bringing in foreign crews leaves big questions regarding traditional sustainable fishing

Print Page | Close Window