Power gum loops

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Power gum loops
    Posted: 30 Nov 2008 at 8:01pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ok well you have heard me go on about power-gum loops over the last few months and why i have gone away from rubber bands, taking the guys out yesterday made me realise that not everyone knows what it is or how it works.
So here are a few pics of how I like to set my power gum loops up, now I use the stuff because it works and if one of the best skippers and lure makers around suggested I try it I had to give it ago. now to be fair my first try was a complete stuff up and ended in tears but the man himself said to persevere and try again, following his advise I have not looked back.

Using power gum means all your lures leader lengths need to be the same or pretty close to it.Wink It self explanatory if they are not the lures are all over the show and not on the face of the wave.

What I have done here is use a piece of 200lb leader as its easy to see, all my gear is 37.

ok you need to set the gear and get the lures running right, set the first one up using a rubber band, this gives you the starting point for your power gum.

now cut a piece of power gum to the size you want this is about 7 inches.

make a loop like so, it is the same as you would do for a uni knot.

then run up a few turns I only use 6

snug it up like so.

trim up the excess

now make a loop, this will be the size you want to have.

tie another uni and trim it up.

ok so this is what your left with, yip its a loop.

now wet the line and slide the two together like so, arh now it looks like a loop.

now test it out, you can see by my finger colour how much pressure i am putting on it.
notice the stretch compared to a rubber band is bugger all.

that is the final product and you can see the waste, its bugger all and can go in the bin.

now i use the loops on every release clip i have which is three of them, pegs, roller trollers and clips, now you cannot use the power gum on a tag line without a release or it will end in disaster.
you really only have to set up the loop once in a season, it stays on your line and is so easy to set its not funny, you just need to mark you rods for long and shorts etc.

Hope this helps a few of you if you wish to use it get hold of Dave [Obald]
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote phantomdeviant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2008 at 8:36pm
phantomdeviant View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yet another great tutorial Steve. Have to say have used this when out with Steve and it makes setting the gear SO easy and fast. Same goes if a lure gets knocked out. That reminds me I need some
Skirt Pulla
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bill Collector 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2008 at 8:39pm
Bill Collector 1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

yep nicely explainedThumbs%20Upwhat  are the pro's and con's in youre opinion compared to the dacron loop system?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2008 at 8:45pm
Titanium
Titanium

dunno mate, i did use the Dacron loops and liked them but i had a couple slide etc, totally my fault so just went away from it, Captain Roddy gave away some power gum and that's all she wrote, have not looked back, II did find that if I wanted to change a Dacron sleeve i would need to cut the line at the double to get it off, this P/G you can cut it and simply redo another.

as I say I used to use rubber bands but found if they did not break free when On a fish they caught up in the top guide on my standard rods, be ok now as I use all big foots....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2008 at 9:29pm
Titanium
Titanium

forgot to mention, you can do more than one loop per line to allow for different conditions etc
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2008 at 9:33pm
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Steve, I had a play with my setup on the water today and I noticed that the powergum loops were letting nylon slide through, in other words if a I had slack line (drop back) from roller troller to rod tip that this would eventually become tight.
I think the issue I had was I hadnt slid the two uni knots togther, will try this next time out
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2008 at 10:35pm
Titanium
Titanium

either that mate or the uni knots are not tight enough, i.e not enough winds on the knot.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote obald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2008 at 7:31am
obald View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

If I may be so bold to add a few little details to Steve's words and clear pictures (and thanks for wearing such a good T shirt for the photo shoot). Details only but as we all know catching one of these large fish is a result of getting hundreds of details just right.

Illustrated is 22lb PG. It is also available in 10lb which is probably adequate for the lures we use in NZ waters. Power gum loop strength should obviously be dependent on lure size as opposed to mainline strength. The 10lb is clear and not the sexy red colour - a small point but it is useful when playing a fish as you can see the red loop when it is getting near the boat.

I would suggest using a nine turn Uni knot as opposed to a six and then snug it up as tight as you can. If you want to change position of the loop during the day just gob on the knot and then move each side of the double knot at a time - sort of crabbing the whole up or down the mainline. If you've made it properly you'll never move it as one entity. The line slipping through Uni knot is a very bad thing indeed. I've lost a fish due to this as the line heated up with obvious consequences.

The second Uni knot should really be a mirror image of the first and not the same way round as illustrated. This means the two ends of the loop come from the middle of the double uni knot and not one end coming from the outside. This ensures the line runs straight through the knot.

AS mentioned the PG loop can easily be wound through guides (very much unlike #32s) but ensure the loop is only big enough for the clip you are using otherwise it can get caught around the rod tip (not jammed in the roller). This is also a very bad thing.

It should be emphasised that you can have a succession of loops on your line for different lures, boatspeeds, sea states etc.

They work very well with tag lines as long as you use a release clip on the tag line. I have found Blacks are the best for this but you must cut that stupid wire bar two ring attachy thingy off the clip and crimp the tag line direct to the clip to stop it tangling. If I remember I'll post a pic of how to do this tonight; there is a little trick to it.

PowerGum makes the best sun glasses safety strap bar none. 22 lb is mandatory for this as the red looks way cooler than the clear.

Random musings on all sorts of things http://obaldnz.blogspot.com/

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2008 at 8:33am
Titanium
Titanium

cheers for all that Dave, yes I agree the two unis should be a mirror image my bad, will do another pic and replace it. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2008 at 9:03am
Titanium
Titanium

Ok here it the back to back uni.....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2008 at 3:54pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yet annother great Thread from BA and thanks for the extra pointers Obald.
Got some red stuff off BA at he end of last season. Looks like I best get some 5kg as well. Who's got some (I'm in Whangarei).?
Haven't had the opportunity to use it yet I run off the rod tips and only got some to change towing angles, downriggers, dropback etc. Rubber bands are prone to random breaking. I read somewhere (might have even been on this site) that some are using it with a single uni and a loop in the gum. Anybody else heard this?
Would this work?
Would it create too much strain on one point of the mainline?
Why would they do it this way?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2008 at 6:42pm
Titanium
Titanium

have done it mate but had trouble as the knot for the loop slipped, would be ok with pegs I recon.
Obald has it mate PM him.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote billpears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2008 at 7:06am
billpears View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Next trick BA, how about one on how to plait for us bumble fingered plicks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2008 at 7:10am
Titanium
Titanium

will do mate give me a day or two....