Perch no longer a recognised IGFA species.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Perch no longer a recognised IGFA species.
    Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 7:57am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

CHANGES TO RECOGNIZED GAME FISH SPECIES

Eligible Game Fish Species
The IGFA maintains All-Tackle world records for thousands of different species, however only certain game fish species are eligible for the additional line class, tippet class (fly rod), and Junior Angler world record categories. In an effort to better recognize premier game fish species around the world that merit having line classes, the IGFA will no longer be accepting line class, tippet class (fly rod), and Junior Angler world records on the 45 species of freshwater and saltwater fish listed below: 

Freshwater: rock bass, shoal bass, white bass, yellow bass, bluegill, black bullhead, brown bullhead, yellow bullhead, burbot, white catfish, black crappie, white crappie, freshwater drum, Florida gar, shortnose gar, spotted gar, oscar, European perch, white perch, yellow perch, chain pickerel, red piranha, shorthead redhorse, silver redhorse, sauger, American shad, hickory shad, splake, green sunfish, redbreast sunfish, redear sunfish, tench, warmouth, lake whitefish, mountain whitefish, round whitefish
Hardly matters though.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote makka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 3:18pm
makka View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Not exactly, they are just no longer accepting line class records for perch, still accepting all tackle records
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 6:20am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Should have read it better, eh?Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 064pointbreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 7:11pm
064pointbreak View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I live near Lake Pupuke, which is currently a coarse fishery becuase there is less trout than other species of fish introduced there. 
There are perch everywhere; so I frequently catch the small ones, which are about 20cm, but if I catch the big ones, which are 30cm long, it might bring me joy because of their size.

Seems like i'm the only one who treats these fish like largemouth bass(not present in NZ)!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Wanda_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 7:17pm
Wanda_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I wish we had bass in NZ, both large and small mouth, Also be damn nice if those Northern pike that were released had survived. I put the lot above trout any day.

And if you ever get the chance to night dive Lake Pupuke you will be amazed at just how many perch there are. At night they just lie on the bottom right out in the open and its fun to play games with them. Swim up and touch their tails and they effectively do about 50cm diameter circle ending back where they started, must be a defense mechanism.  In a short half hour ight dive leaving from the pumphouse jetty and not going any deeper than about 15m we would commonly see around a thousand or so,average of 20cm. 

Almost Perch season for me,about to buy a half season licence and spend winter hauling perch out of the dozen or so lakes within 30 mins of Cambridge that hold them,and hitting the catfish once more. Good ole chicken livers are my fav bait for both.
If you think you are too small to make a difference,try sleeping with a mosquito in your tent.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 9:49am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I was out at Hamilton lake last week and was spinning for perch but only had one take during 2 hours. There seems way less than previous years.
The one that I dropped was fairly big.
Moved to Turtle lake at Ham Gardens and plenty of small perch. Also caught a Rudd or goldfish on a soft plastic the over-water walkway at the lilly pads..
Might try the chicken livers on /ham lake. 
What rig do you use?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 10:19am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Question for you guys. Are you bait fishing in non-designated coarse fisheries? If so, do you ever run in to problems with F&G?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 8:02am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MB MB wrote:

Question for you guys. Are you bait fishing in non-designated coarse fisheries? If so, do you ever run in to problems with F&G?
I've seen anglers using trout eggs in mesh bags for years on Waikato dam tailraces.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 064pointbreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2023 at 1:08pm
064pointbreak View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

To: Wanda_Ra
Smallmouth bass require colder water than Largemouth Bass. I wouldn't ask the government to add pike into the waters because they have sharp teeth, and anglers have to tie on wire traces to make sure the pike won't bite thru the line!
I'm looking forward to seeing bass in the Waikato region(Lake Karapiro), but I'm doing a bit of research since the water here is 12-13°C(53-55°F). which is too cold for the bass to reproduce once established, but I think they'll get used to the water temperature through generations. 
Bass Fishing In 40-50 Degree Water: Are Bass Easy To Catch?
The lower areas of the lake from the ski club down to the dam wall would be ideal bass territory, other than the upstream part of the lake where the trout are. And speaking of trout, they are there because they like cooler and faster water than bass.
And given the swarms of Rudd, koi and perch in the lake, the amount of prey items they naturally eat must surely be severely impacting the amount of food available for the trout to eat when they are young, so adding a predator to the lake would likely hugely improve the fishery, or at least the trout recruitment. I would imagine that the introduction of largemouth bass to the lake would basically lead to a nil all draw.
In fact, I suspect the bass may be even more fun to fish for than the trout, like fishing swimbaits along the hotspots, working topwater lures under trees to gain blowups so we have to get Marine Deals and other tackle stores in the Waikato Region to supply swimbaits, frogs, crankbaits, and all that from America, Australia and Japan.  Yes, bass will eat small trout, as well as the masses of Rudd, but the bass will move to the upper area of the lake due to a sudden drop in coarse fish numbers If the bass would've established themselves in the area, they'll control the amount of rudd and other coarse fish, keeping trout numbers in check, and decrease the size of rudd.
Since I live in North Shore and it's winter, the perch aren't active feeders, so I would like to have bass in Lake Pupuke to control coarse fish populations, making the lake free for the trout to swim in. But that too, will have disastrous effects
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2023 at 10:32am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I found that perch were easier to catch in May to July in Hamilton lake.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2023 at 6:29am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

With the cost of bait on a constant march upwards I’m thinking of targeting carp again. This time I might net them. Will have to check the rules around it first. 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 9:57am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Koi carp are officially noxious so no rules on catching, only that you must kill one if you catch it.
Go for it - I've jagged them with a weighted treble and cast into a school of them at Te Rapa dairy factory warm water outlet. There are koi and mullet there.