Outriggers this time

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Outriggers this time
    Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 3:26pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes/no for a newbie on a 5.6m trailer boat. More expense/hassle, but some have the opinion that they are absolutely essential. I'll be running four rods. Thoughts?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sambosi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 3:57pm
Sambosi View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Not essential but I don't know if I could live with myself if I did not have them.  They make it easier to ensure you have lures in clear water outside the wash.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 4:19pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not essential, but give you more options. I have them for my 5.3m tinnie.
Don't use them all the time. But useful to have.
When I run 3 rods, usually don't bother. However I have recently found a new use for them - greenstick with baits. Deadly.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 5:06pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Catch up with a lure maker, and talk with them. Get a matched set of lures from them, they will be able to steer you in direction of lures that need height, or can be run straight off rod tip.
Riggers look pretty, and yes do get lures into clean water, howeve not essential.
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 5:34pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I have seen and caught (very few) (well ok one) without them. They put your lures into clean clear water, I think it helps if fish can see those lures from as far away as possible.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 7:18pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

I have seen and caught (very few) (well ok one) without them. They put your lures into clean clear water, I think it helps if fish can see those lures from as far away as possible.
It is a bit more than that. If that was the case you could always run them further back without riggers.
The height is the point - gives the lures more action.
BUT plenty of fish caught without them.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 8:36pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This is what I have read recently and playing on my mind! In my case of running four rods, do you think all rods should be hooked up to an outrigger (i.e. 2 rods per outrigger)?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 8:40pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Kilwell stiffy telescopic are about as user friendly as you will get for a small boat. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 9:00pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

This may be of interest if you haven't already read it.

Given your intention to run 4 outfits I would have 2 in the outriggers.  Short corner a long corner run from the rod holders and short rigger and long rigger run from the outriggers.

Stiff outriggers will give you a crisper release than soft outriggers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 10:08pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for the replies. The Pakula article is great Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 10:23pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by MB MB wrote:

... The Pakula article is great Thumbs Up

There are a number of articles available on the internet written by PP.  As a newbie this one's also worth a read.

Once you've digested that click the 'Menu' tab (upper right) and then click on 'Between the Lines'.  PP marketed a Between the Lines CD around 2004 as I recall, it's very informative.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2022 at 4:38am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

This is what I have read recently and playing on my mind! In my case of running four rods, do you think all rods should be hooked up to an outrigger (i.e. 2 rods per outrigger)?

Everyone on this thread will know more than I about gamefishing Big smile & Peter Pakula does have a very in depth website.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2022 at 9:04am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

One good reason to fit riggers is to hear them go off.............bang.
Then the reel screams.
Nothing like the sound of the rigger popping.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2022 at 11:07am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If part of it is about keeping the lures out the turbulent white water, would it not make sense to have the two corners further back and the two lures on outriggers closer to the boat? All the advice seems to be the other way around.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote waynorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2022 at 12:00pm
waynorth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If part of it is about keeping the lures out the turbulent white water, would it not make sense to have the two corners further back and the two lures on outriggers closer to the boat? All the advice seems to be the other way around.

Because its only part of it MB. The flat lines run in the clear window between the prop wash and the hull wakes. The main purpose of the riggers is to elevate the tow point, allowing lures to be towed further back but still at an angle that maximises lure action. Reversing that would defeat the purpose of the elevated tow point, and result in tangles each time you turned. 
treat fish like fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2022 at 1:59pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

OK, thanks. A lot to learn.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2022 at 9:35pm
Platinum
Platinum

And the more you read and research the more you will realise that not everyone shares the same views.  Others do it differently as evidenced by this clip by Matt Watson.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2022 at 10:06pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

And the more you read and research the more you will realise that not everyone shares the same views.  Others do it differently as evidenced by this clip by Matt Watson.

Cheers. Guess it's like every other type of fishing, confusing for a beginner! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2022 at 10:41am
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We run outriggers from a little 5m boat which are pretty soft 14 ft kilwell drop ins. Fit into forward gunnel 45 degree rod holders and we bungee cord down to tension the rigger cord. As they are lighter (less stiff) are really only good for smaller to medium lures. But we also have a much stiffer heavier straight killwell centre pole as a centre rigger that drops into the centre of our rocket launcher. This allows us to run even a big lure with elevation out the back in shot gun position if we wish to, although usually we put a smaller bullet lure there.
Occasionally I get asked to fish on other boats that don’t have game poles… or even own game rods…like my brother and sister laws 6.5 extreme. Last year with them (their first time gamefishing) we just took the centre rigger from my boat on their boat and a few rods,
and ran the centre rigger as a single rigger on starboard side from a gunnel forward rod holder facing 30 degrees outward they normally strayline from. While shorter than my 14 ft riggers it worked really well as an outrigger. Not your classic spread but allowed one lure elevated and wide of the wash, as well as a starboard short corner and a long long corner on port side opposite to rigger lure, and another shotgun centre lure out back off one of bait board rod holders. Spread was good enough for a triple hook up of nice Mahis. Above is a pic of the centre rigger on my boat… we don’t catch many in driveway but good place to refine your set up. Just gotta watch the powerlines.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2022 at 3:20pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If you want a cheap option for the shotgun/center pole, I use the bottom half of a 2 piece surfcasting rod - in the rocket launcher. Works well.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Page  12>