Out with the "Twelves"

Page  <12345 393>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2008 at 10:10pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

To me membership of the twelve footers is a state of mind.  Are there any rules?  I'm not a rules person.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tennut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2008 at 8:28am
tennut View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

thanks Far Quirk and betterthanwork    ,new to this forom stuff, couldnt remember which page this weather stuff was on.Sorted now.Will check out those sites asap ,as have found the phone metservice abit out a few times..I still tend to trust the  looking out the window      trick ,, it feels like the next few days should be okay.Thanks for help.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tinny fulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2008 at 11:41pm
tinny fulla View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'm about 4.2 as well, i wouldn't go out in anything the 12's wouldn't so this forum is useful and handy for my tinny.
Only 2 things smell like fish and one of them is fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JasonEdward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2008 at 10:25am
JasonEdward View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I'm thinking of a mainly social cruise trip in the 12 after up to River head on Sat or Monday. High tide suits and it would be blasphemy not to tow a couple of ky lures and throw some baits into the deep holes along the way.

If anyones interested let's team up. Seems to me a meeting at the Riverhead for a beer would be a nice day. And for the non-fishers in the family, take them for a harbour cruise (sheltered water and only if weather is tops so can load up the boat with people in life jackets of course...) and a slow comfortable cruise up with snacks and bevies - it's a really nice sight-seeing trip up there...

NB I have a hand-held that they tell me is water-proof for 10 minutes in 1 m of water and it has a new type of long lasting battery so I think it's ideal for tinnies.
Slightly more pricey than others and should be very safe to use in the dinghies. (unlike cell phones which I drown on a regular basis).

Cheers all and thanks - this is a top thread - goes very well with the harbour fishing threads.

HMM NEW IDEA I'm really keen to fish and learn how to fish the Inner Waitemata. What if we went out as a group (like they are in Motuhe area)  on a suitable pm or am, planned the likely spots, spread out and targeted the spots, then keep in touch (phones or VHF) to find the fish and with any luck cooperatively increase all of our success rates. Just a thought while I procrastinate and avoid work.
'Tis better to have hooked and lost, than never to have hooked at all
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote POWERSPELL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2008 at 2:25am
POWERSPELL View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

go the motuhi good fishing there at the moWink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2008 at 11:34am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Fri 25 1 08 6:15 to 9pm

Betterthanwork invited me out & I accepted like a shot.  We left Okahu Bay and ploughed thru a washing machine until we got closer to Motuihe channel and the sea flattened out.  Arrived at the top of the yellow buoys in around 5 knots from the north and had good bites for me and a hookup for BTW on the first drop. Yeehaa!  While he was playing the first fish captain BTW had to take evasive action to avoid crashing into a Luddite (medieval bait fisherman).  Alan kept catching & I kept trying hard and we drifted down on top of a new 12 footer I haven't met before.  They were hooking up as well, and maybe they were mates with Ajay, because he turned up and was also into them. 

BTW was catching nice fish over 40cms and at the end of the first drift the score was something like 4 or 5 to Alan and 1 to me.  Decided to ditch the 60lb trace I had on and tied directly from braid to a "captain's rig" I showed the 12 footers at Keith's.  Put on Keith's red 3" squidgy that he kindly donated (not oursies) and immediately caught a keeper, but after that the bite slowed down and I had better luck with 4" & 5" lime tigers.  About half way thru the second drift, the boat limit moved up to 40 cms and we put back heaps in the 35 to 39cm range - magic fishing, but not a lot of bigger ones.  We still picked up the odd 40+ and were having a ball.

Meanwhile Ajay & mate were whooping and yeehaa'ing and looked like they were hitting the odd biggy.  It was a party out thereThumbs%20Up

I changed to a blue jighead and 5" sapphire shines and immediately got good hits with the odd hookup missed, but no worries, we had plenty of fish. My biggest fish came on the last drift when we sneaked a cheeky drift about 50m inside the ferry lane.  Ended up with 14 fish and the score was something like 9-5 to BTW but I grabbed an oursie and here they are (35 to 50cms):

The view from my place in Glendowie across Tamaki Estuary to Aquacat's place in Bucklands Beach.  Where were you Aquacat?  All done by 6 pm?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote POWERSPELL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2008 at 12:56pm
Silver
Silver

nice one far qurik yip that was my brother out there and a another mate of mine on the green 12ft savage boat that he just brought got rid of his kayak very happy with catck as well got a few biggys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jake76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2008 at 12:58pm
Jake76 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

NICE Thumbs%20Up

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote POWERSPELL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2008 at 1:16pm
Silver
Silver

Tongue
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote POWERSPELL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2008 at 1:38pm
Silver
Silver

Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote POWERSPELL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2008 at 1:39pm
Silver
Silver

Thumbs%20Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2008 at 1:59pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good report fq - well done. Good to see BTW catchin some fish  for a change.
FQ - 60LB trace? wtf? What were you thinking.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2008 at 2:55pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Redfinger

I left my trace spool at homeUnhappy, broke off, so decided to use some 60lb stuff that happened to be in the boat.  It still catches fish, but ssssssssslllllllllllooooooooowwwwwwllllllllllyyyyyy.  That was a couple of fishing trips ago & I've been in such a hurry to go fishing, or get fishing when I get to the spot, that I left it on. Dumb I know.Embarrassed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote POWERSPELL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2008 at 4:43pm
Silver
Silver

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote POWERSPELL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2008 at 4:52pm
Silver
Silver

hi again finally able to post pics up here are some good one we got last night 8lbers at 8.45pm change of light on sp Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2008 at 5:15pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Well done Fryan.  What baits caught the bigger ones?  I changed to 5" glow squid about that time because it is supposed to get the bigguns going, but apart from a 40cm snap, it didn't work.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote aquacat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2008 at 5:48pm
aquacat View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Good going FQ. I was in the channel as well and saw you guys, but then lost sight of you guys after our first drift. Was not in my usual 12footer. Sunday morning I might sneek in a quickie.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote johnny_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2008 at 6:25pm
johnny_A View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Great work!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote POWERSPELL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2008 at 10:00pm
Silver
Silver

HI GEOFF WE WERE USING 5"NICK CHICKEN AND THE NEW BLACK AND YELLOW GULPS 5"IN THE RED BLACK PACKET GUY AT BURNSCO TOLD ME THEY WERE GOOD ON THE CHANGE OF LIGHTLOL I THOUGHT YEAH AND GOT THEM TO TRY AND BANG BANG BANGWink
JIGGING MASTER THE ONLY ROD
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote THEFISHOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2008 at 11:23pm
THEFISHOE View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

nice one fat boy LOL
Page  <12345 393>