FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Out with the "Twelves"

Page  <1 365366367
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 12:35pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What a stunning fish. Obviously a great day out.

Is it just me that is getting the impression there are more fish holding in close this winter, compared to other winters.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 3:12pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

its a goody in close mate
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 10:31am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fantastic fishing Geoff - much kudos to you Geoff as you regularly catch bloody good fish in the busiest most fished places in Auckland. Hat off to you mate. New spot called Geoffs Foul?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 6:20pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Tess is an excellent photographer and gave her hubby a tip about presenting his fishWink

Saturday 13/7/19 7:15 to 9:45am
Launched Takapuna and back to the foul near yellow buoy off the Takapuna cliffs.  Put down some berley and the NW wind drove the boat off the berley trail, so not ideal.  Should have got there earlier before the breeze came up.  Used squid and mullet baits and the size of the snapper gradually increased. By 8:30 had kept a 36 and 38cm snapper, and released 31, 32 and 33cm models.  Also used some big KY and whole jack mack baits hoping to lure a biggun, but nothing doing.  Smaller fish decimated the larger baits.
Shags were a nuisance.  AngryForgot to take my AR15. Evil Smile They attacked jack macks as I reefed them into the boat.  One of them ended up stuck on my Uncle's jack mack flasher rig.  Took about 5 minutes to wear it down, then used a towel to grab it by the beak, and removed the hook from its mouth with pliers.  As it made its escape it got its leg caught on another hook, so spent another 5 minutes trying to tame it until the hook broke off.  That rig took a hell of a thrashing and held up well.

The tidal flow died about 8:30 and so did the bite.  Put out a live bait but the shags dragged it up from 9m deep.

Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote foulplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 8:46pm
foulplay View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

School holidays. Nipped out with my eldest son for a quick fish in the Firth shallows. Very slow. Picked up couple of gurnards and 1 snap which went 7kg on the local gas station scales. Fed the old lady. So happy days.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 12:10am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Nice fish, and cool photo, well done.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 8:42am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hey Geoff those shags were impossible when I last went out inclose to Rangi - bloody things. They were taking my baits ! not liveys but actual baits.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rumblefish1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 10:15am
Rumblefish1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Was on kaipara on Saturday in me fc430 got snapper from 45 cm up to 60 cm and nuc gurnard
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 3:33pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great report from last week, Geoff. Stunning conditions, lovely fish. And great that you shared your expertise with two friends who really appreciated the kai moana.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakedunc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 7:46pm
jakedunc View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Was out behind Rangitoto this morning for 4 hours. Still so many baby snaps around it's crazy! Been a warm winter I guess? Got a couple of 40-50cm snaps and a few pannies which feels pretty good for winter fishing... but seemed to go right off the chew after high tide.

Page  <1 365366367