Out With The over 12's & Under 20's

Page  <1 111112113
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hook-it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 4:23pm
Hook-it View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Great pic of family. Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Hopkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2021 at 4:00pm
Hopkins View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Made a casual plan with mate to do the full lap around Waiheke launching from HMB. With no expectations and bellys full of bacon and eggs we made it to the boat ramp at 9am as the real fishermen were coming in.

The plan was to softbait the shallows along the north side of Waiheke then around to Man o War for late afternoon pizza. We only got through the Motuihe channel when we spotted a few turns diving so had a look. My mate worked the slider while I cast a stickbait, managed two snaps for the bin on the slider no takers on the top water set.

The predicted northerly had picked up by this stage and trying to softbait the shallows around the northern side would have been hopeless so turned and went through Sergeant channel, cruising the South end of Waiheke in glassy conditions on our way to Waiheke Channel.

Got right up in the shallows 2-3 m and started softbaiting. Had made a plan the night before to softbait with my boys kidstix as mate doesn't have a sofbait rod and I don't have a second. Casting it was a nightmare but got a good 10m on third attempt, it sunk to the bottom and what ya know, snapper on.

This continued for about three hours with us both netting some nice pannies in the shallows and releasing many more. With a full bag of fish within site of Man o War we decided to head home as by this stage there was about 100 boats anchored up all heading for shore on their tenders and we didn't fancy waiting 2hrs for a pizza.

Great day on the water 55 mile round trip, go the the kidstix!

Photos: kidstix doing the damage
             : mate with fish of the day, 50cm
             : full bag.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 1:28am
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Got a 12 pounder 68cm snapper this arvo,  straight after pulling hooks a 30lb plus king at the boat. King took a piper sight fished at back of boat was a massive scrap on spin reel with heavy braid in 10m of water. Wife was second or two too late with gaff boat side when fish somehow managed throw hook. We were debating her gaffing abilities when my straylined half a maumau took off on other rod. Nice surprise another decent big snapper. 
Wife did catch an excellent eagle ray as well, which we released. She reckons if hadn’t got it up I would blamed her for losing a decent snap or king, which to be honest I may well have done.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 8:20am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Are you sure the slow gaffing wasn't a bit of delayed payback for your kayak tutorial outings with the neighbour? LOL
Anyway, another great trip for you Shane. Been waiting for your report of a big king in the shallows - so close...they love those piper.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 8:51pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You may be right TTK.
Had another nice day out there today 4 good snapper, wife caught 2 and I caught 2, nothing huge just nice fat 40cm fish. Also released 2 kings. First on a stickbait, second one was on a live yellowtail. The second fish actually took bait while fisheries officers had pulled up alongside and were checking the contents of our chilly bin, which at that stage only had wife’s 2 fish in it. Was quite funny when livie  on other side of boat went off. They pushed off and watched us catch the kingi was around 75 cm and release it immediately. Few fish to go in smoker tomorrow morning, all prepared.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote KB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 11:09pm
KB View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Stopped At the Hen in Tuesday waiting for the tide to come in a bit at Mangawhai big surf rolling in at the bar.

Back from a day's Game Fishing out too 130 mtrs off Oceans.

Drifted fished down the southern side of the Hen only had 6 Pillies 
on board for bait, landed 3 fish, biggest 22lbs 10kg went 720mm good smoker.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kztrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2022 at 7:01am
Kztrev View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I was out last week out back of Rangi; Gardners Gap area. Was mid morning and slow to start. Did well on our last drift along the white cliff face drifting the 10-6 mtr contour line. Picked up about 7 snaps in an hour. We were getting double and triple hook ups. Nothing big, all between 33-38 cms. 5” Zman Smokey shad caught half. Rest on 80g Orange gold sliders. Good sess.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kztrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2022 at 1:05pm
Kztrev View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Out Thursday 31/03 in glamour conditions just after low tide around 13.00hrs. Boil ups and bird action in close N of Owhanake Bay Waiheke. Lots good size KY. Kept one and moved out NNW to 16m soundings on chart.
Caught limit if 7 nice snapper in 1.5hrs. Size a good spread ranged 48 - 33cms. Had FQ’s fish factory format in play. One slider & one coin drop reasonably vertical in rod holders. One heavier 3/4 jig head with Smokey shad dragged good distance out back and cast ahead with 3/8 jighead also smoker shad. Couple double hook ups caused bit of shambles at times. Dragged jighead was most consistent. The lighter jighead caught the largest once it had drifted well aft. This prompted the heavier jighead outback strategy. Only a few with sliders in rod holder   But every time I worked them hook ups straightaway. More hands on deck would have increased the catch no doubt. Time for a quick blast across to Woody Bay for swim and a beer then home.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 8:12pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Made the call despite the weather,yes  I was that person at the ramp who ran out of fuel,sort of.connect tank clip wrong way round,once going all fine.Went round to Byrants bay ,Ponui, 10m water for lots ofthrow backs and a resonble gurnard for the gulf,across to Scullys so bait drifted in too kelp but ore throw backs.Finally wind dropped and slight drizzle.Out to the mussel farm that no one wanted and 9 snapper quick conssion.Most in the 32/33 mark except wife 50cm. Gurnard full of roe

Found a couple of things wrong with boat ,turns hard left so will adjust trim thing on skeg.
3800rpm gave 25mph and wot 5500 35mph but started to miss,so will take to mechanic.

Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 8:10pm
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

just got in from a quick outing, left from kawakawa at dead low 3pm ( kind of on purpose as I can get in the water and avoid the ques of munters) headed out to shag Island and spied a work up towards coro so headed out to the 37m mark and sat in a spread out work up with dolphins working the area for a couple of hours, dropped 30gm kaveman jigs on them and caught alot of 30-33cm models caught a couple of good 40s just before sunset. it glassed off real noice on the way home
Page  <1 111112113