FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Out With The over 12's & Under 20's

Page  <1 107108109
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 6:02pm
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

Very interesting report, thanks for posting. I can imagine those conditions today. When you're in those kinds of hot, listless seas, it just doesn't feel very promising once the sun is up.

Ocean Angler has posted a few times recently about great fishing in that same area, but I note they went out off Whangaparaoa yesterday for a softbaiting challenge, not Rangi. Probably tells a story!

Though they did poorly off the tip of the peninsula anyway, particularly given they are top anglers - only a couple of fish over 35cm in several hours. Seems pretty slow out there.

Yes, saw that too. Does that make me as good as them - or them as bad as me :)
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 8:42pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I think you're good enough and experienced enough that if the fish are there, you'll get them.
Maybe the Rangi area switches on when the anchovy work ups are happening on the top, and when they aren't, it's harder?

I saw someone on here comment a while ago that the season seemed about 6 weeks late, so maybe that trend has carried on and some of the normally good autumn feeding areas are fairly slow still. More like late Jan fishing than mid March?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 5:58am
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I was out Wednesday morning, first for some time, trying with SPs in close to Rangi where I often do well.  Zilch.  Went round Motutapu in the wash and had 3 in a metre or two of water.  Token attempt in the Rangi channel on the way back to work.  Slow. More tide, less sun might help, but maybe they have moved.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote fishizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 1:59pm
fishizzle View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Out at sunrise from narrowneck this morning. Beautiful weather, very busy boat ramp, Adrenalin was high as it was only my fourth day out this year. Boat freshly serviced.

Stopped at my usual just before the rangi lighthouse and water was alive. Two drops, new bright orange/sparkly zman. Two fish 37cm. Fish finder was loaded but no bigger fish so moved out past lighthouse. Dead there. Back again to first spot but longer drift. 5 more biggest going 56cm. Happy to be back on the water.

Fished 7-9am, got a real good one on bait too just to keep it interesting. 7 fish between two anglers. Think overcast sky helped today.

Happy, grateful, thanks tangaroa.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mad Spearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 4:26pm
Mad Spearo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Maybe it has finally started. Anyone else caught anything in Rangi yet?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lowbox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 4:31pm
Lowbox View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

yup we were out on Sunday and picked up 10 on the NE of the lighthouse. Softbaits working - slow but steady.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 4:33pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Interestingly, the Ocean Angler boys went live on Facebook yesterday out there -  for nearly an hour. They got one fish on camera, from recollection. Pretty rough, too. Much worse than the forecast (sounds familiar!).

There were quite a few birds working anchovies and few bust ups.

Apparently they got some nice fish before and after the live feed, but when Mark Kitteridge gets one fish on softbaits in an hour, it's pretty tough...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hammerhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 7:00pm
Hammerhead View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Definitely tough today, late start didn’t help but found fish around the park point area, kept 3. Nice to see a 12 ft something leap clear out of the water. As soon as sun came out bites went dead
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 10:47am
Clifftastic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice to hear they are around Park Point Hammerhead, as launching Kennedy Point Satdee..!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Ecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 10:28am
Ecko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Launched okahu yesterday evening and sprinted out to Rakino. A brewing storm over waiheke pushed us back around the northern side of Rangitoto and around by the Rangi lighthouse.
Drifting in close flicking softies to the shallows produced the goods.

A very light bite but once hooked proved decent inner gulf snapper.

Took 11 up to 50cm between 2 of us.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 2:51pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

well done mate pulled 6 nice ones off army bay saturday
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 12:36pm
Clifftastic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well Hammerhead's intel was right on the money. Short motor to about 200m off Park Point. Slow drifts of about 500m before resetting. 11 in the bin and home before 10am. Too easy.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote onanotherjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 9:15pm
onanotherjob View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Was out today from 1pm targeting kings goal was to get one or two in for marsik bros smoking .
Had a terrible time filling the live bait tank . Tried my go to spot for live bait plagues of baby snapper mid water . Got worse when kawahi started smashing the sabikis .
Moved around found some bait and had a rubbish afternoon catching giant kawahi lots of false excitement .
Had a strayline with kawahi bait got a few ok snaps was generally hard work . Daylight savings takes away the fun boat still to clean in the morning .Got caught out by how early it gets dark .
Will have to start not going to work on fishing days rather than half days .
Page  <1 107108109