Out With The over 12's & Under 20's

Page  <1 34567 117>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JayDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2011 at 8:08am
JayDog View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi all. Not sure if this is the right place to go about with an intro, apologies in advance if it is the wrong place. I figured as I have just purchased my first boat, (a 14 ft Ramco with a 25hp) I had better go to the place where all that are in the know meet. Am on the shore and keen to meet up with others with similar boats. Thanks for an awesome site, had already learnt bucket loads of dos and don'ts.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GingaMatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2011 at 11:11am
GingaMatt View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have a 4.2m Centre console Mac, The only water thats seen latly is the rain!! LOL
CATCH US ON FACEBOOK - SHIMANO FISHING NZ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2011 at 11:25am
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by GingaMatt GingaMatt wrote:

I have a 4.2m Centre console Mac, The only water thats seen latly is the rain!! LOL

I got no boat!
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GingaMatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2011 at 3:31pm
GingaMatt View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by JK JK wrote:

Originally posted by GingaMatt GingaMatt wrote:

I got no boat!
Did you check out those Frewza's? - Boat, outboard and trailer $15k. Cheap mate..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2011 at 4:05pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice avatar there dudeLOL The old days when we got out...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snapazapa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 5:31pm
snapazapa View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sunday 31/07...5am ...12.30pm
Left HMB and headed for the Noises/Maria area,seas calm, good forecast,life was goodTongue,it had been a couple of weeks since last out and i had a new solas prop to try out,noticed straight away i got up on the plane with a couple of revs less,once out of the river i gunned it up to 4800 and wow!,it sounded so smooth,way less vibrations,top speed had not changed but my cruising speed rpm was defiantly Dawn 200 odd revs,ClapThumbs Up,why didn't i get one of these a long time ago.
Once out to my chosen spot i cast out a catch bleeding pilly but no takers,sun had not quite got up and it was chilly to say the least,decided to head out to a bump i had found last summer a few ks north of the noises,dropping the piily again i hooked up straight away on a nice fish which i kept,(smallest kept for the day),Iwas using the 703 CTS rod (dads rod) but decided to put a new type of gulp s/b which Tony (yeehaa) had given me to try out...
Called Squid Vicious ,I thought the dangley bits would be hammered by the small fish and i wasn't wrong.
Decided to move out to the deep water (45m) and try my luck,was a good call as the fish were waiting,finding another quite sharp bump i marked it and headed back to drift over it,thats when squid v came into its own,no sooner i got it to the bottom and BAM,no biting just inhaling of the bait,for the next 2/4 hours i got some great hits on it ,hooking up instantly with fish really testing the certate,biggest was 58cm,but most were 45 to 55cm,had to bring them up slowly so as to let the smaller ones go.
Tony had also given me a spool of Nanofil,a new Berkley product,to try out ,so had it spooled on the FDstella and have to say i quite liked it,very sensitive,thin as,as it was only 10lb i was soft on it at first but after a while i started to crank up the drag,casts superbly,supposed to be able to handle more rubbing on rocks etc,but today it was a straight out bottom fish,reckon it would be good for wash fishing as the casting ability of it was very good,no need to get so close to the rocks,lots of dolphins around ,not really traveling but i think they may have just been feeding lightly around there because they did come back on several occasions.
After a massive drift i headed back to port,didn't realize how far i had drifted,took me 1/2 hour at planing speed just to get back to the noises,but no worries ,had plenty of fuel and time,great day,sunny weather,all goodThumbs Up
Kill shot (one less which i gave away)

The squid Vs i think would be awesome on a workup,I used some mustard jig heads on them,also used catch jig heads as well (they were just a tiny bit long,but the hook was in the place where you would want it).
Live life to the fullest...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 10:23am
The cook View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

After a stunning hour of fishing out of Whangaroa on Saturday what else do ya do but go for another fish on Sunday.

Met a mate from work at mid day at headed to Te Ngare, on the water by 1pm & headed out to the Cavali’s via a couple of pins out in the middle the usually hold Terakihi.

Nothing but little snaps, with the tide not running the right way until around 3.30pm & the sea dead flat we did a bit of exploring North of the Cavs  in 70-80m. Lots of sign but nothing on the jig, mate got 1 nice snap of about 3.5kg.

Moved in to our normal spot & fish on the bite instantly, steady stream of fish in the 1-2kg range that then slowed right down. Realised that we needed more weight when a gannet dived on my bait, current was cranking with the largish tides.

Upped the weights to an oz & fish biting straight away, kept 8 as my mate is skint & keen as for plenty of fish. Big boys never turned up & once the sun set the sharks made a nuisance of themselves.

Stunning afternoon/evening on the water, back on the trailer by 7pm just as it started to get proper cold.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alanimal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 11:14am
alanimal View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Sat 5:30am to Midday. Left Gulf harbour - new ramp with pontoons is brilliant!! Headed out the back of Tiri and drifted till the sun came up. Latched onto one decent sized red to have it bust off my SB, bit of yelling and abusing the nearest seagul but that happens! Next fish was a snap about 4 inches long. I think this little one managed to scare all the other fish away as no other bites happened - so we moved into the Tiri channel to find birds working all over the show. Dropped the lines a few times to only land one horse KY, wind came up so decided to call it a day.Confused
Was great to get out, in hindsight I wish I went out Sunday as the weather was so awesome - but unfortunately I had to put the inorganics out!!!!
Till next time!
By and large the reporting is factual, but in a few instances I have claimed the right of readjusting the facts to which every angler is entitled.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alanimal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 11:21am
alanimal View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by The cook The cook wrote:

Hey Cook, great minds think alike - is that a Mark5x next to the HDS5M?
I have the same setup. One thing I did was get the Lowrance EP-60R Fuel flow sensor unit so I can watch my fuel usage - fantasitc units eh!!!.            

By and large the reporting is factual, but in a few instances I have claimed the right of readjusting the facts to which every angler is entitled.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 8:04am
The cook View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hard case, yep exactly the same setups. Only had the HDS5m for 3months & loving it.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GingaMatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2011 at 8:55am
GingaMatt View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Nice avatar there dudeLOL The old days when we got out...
That was a very good morning mate, your right in saying 'when we got out' work to much these days.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Buzz. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2011 at 3:01pm
Buzz. View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Shot out his morning from Taka in the thundercat for a bit of a softbait. The conditions were as they had been predicted - absolutely perfect with no wind. Was on the water by 6.30 and slowly crawled over to rangi. I decided to try some spots that id got from leathal's fishing spot CD. After a few drifts i was getting onto some good little fish.

I ended up only drifting one spot and managed to get my limit with all the fish between 34 and 37 cm. And i was home by 10 cleaning the boat down.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Buzz. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2011 at 3:02pm
Buzz. View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

oh, all caught on a single Z-man Paddle tail which will still be sweet to fight another day!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hogdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2011 at 3:15pm
hogdog View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice! I was supposed to hit the water first thing but the wife got a callout to a birth at 1am and wasnt back in time, will have to try in the morning

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PanicRoom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2011 at 7:05pm
PanicRoom View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

hey guys,Big smile me and the boys are looking at doing a trip out to HEN AND CHICKS in September, have any of you fished out there before or seen any rite ups on it? any info would be awesome!! just want to get a idea of what we are up against!!!

THANKS HEAPS!! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JayDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2011 at 8:06am
JayDog View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Got out the other morning and took 6 snapper on good ol' pillies, kept one of 29cm who had swallowed the hook deep and one of 42cm, all less than 500m off the shore. Roll on summer. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alanimal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2011 at 9:45am
alanimal View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice catch Buzz and Jay Dog! I was going to pop out for a while this morning but wussed out because of the wind warnings. Panic Room, I am keen to hear about your mission, I havent been to the H&C's for ages - but it is a great place.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 8:07am
The cook View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Got out for a fish from Whangaroa on Saturday morning.
Took a while to find the livies, but ended up with a good tank full including some horse blue macs.

1st spot just outside the entrance was slow, got a couple of sniffs on the livies but nothing hooked up. 1x40cm keeper amongst a hoard off little ones.

Moved across to the arrows in a spot that has been producing well lately. Started very slow but slowly improved, despite the fact we had no burley. For about 1hr just before the change of tide they bit steadily. Funny thing is they would only take pilchards or blue macs, the jack macs were completly untouched.

Ended up with 6 fish mostly around the 55cm mark. Pulled the hooks on a few good ones, typical winter soft bite making hooking them that much harder.

Livies unmolested apart frm a wee rat Kingfish. came in around 2pm when it absolutely p#ssed down
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alanimal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 8:34am
alanimal View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice one Cook.

We went out Sat morning at 0632, used the ramp setup at Gulf Harbour. I think its mint.

Was foggy as - visibility down to 10 meters as we headed out into the gulf. Then it cleared as I headed out further and we met up with some swimming sausages that took the opportunity to have a play with the boat.

Then we popped out to the back of Tiri and had a few softbait drifts around shearers rock, not even a nibble!!!

Saw some boats sitting off the horizon so decided to head out. got about halfway between tiri and corro and dropped the lines - the wind picked up so we ended up drifting super quick. decided to pop back to Tiri again.

On the second drift over the rocks my bro caught this rather tasty specimen on a Gulp Lizard.

So, 1 fish. Normally we fill the bin but the last 3-4 trips there has been zero or 1 fish to take back. Either its bad luck or we just arent in the right spots!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skidder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 11:08am
skidder View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Looks like we may need to deploy burley and smelly baits Alanimal.....SB's just not quite doing the bizz lately.
Page  <1 34567 117>