Out With The over 12's & Under 20's

Page  <1 23456 117>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ponty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 10:24pm
ponty View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Whats this modifying? i will look at it on the weekend my blender didn't really work sounds like you doing alot better.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jimm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 3:21pm
Jimm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

mates is it just me or the metservice has a rougher forecast for auckland than what is on swellmap and windguru Confused

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alanimal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 3:23pm
alanimal View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I never did trust any weatherman
By and large the reporting is factual, but in a few instances I have claimed the right of readjusting the facts to which every angler is entitled.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BeachedAsBro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 3:38pm
BeachedAsBro View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mate, metservice ALWAYS has a far rougher forecast than any other site
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish caught will we realise we can't eat money.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Darwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 5:20pm
Darwin View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Great to see a forum for my boat size. Stuck between work and bad weather lately, so with the days closing in early, I spent a bit of time on the drawing board. 
We spend quite a few weekends away on our little tinnie and there have been quite a few changes made to the stock boat to make it a bit more comfortable for the Admiral. I have remained staunch throughout though that I am not making any mods that compromise the fishability. There is a fairly long list of things that have been "tweaked" on Darwin: Clears and a backdrop to fully enclose the hard top when required, an extension for the sleeping platform that folds out and clips in to make 2.05m bed base, hot and cold running water with a califont, shower and sink and a 75l fresh water tank underfloor (I know, I know), 3 piece table/bed infill which fits either in the cabin or in the cockpit, but one thing that has been a bug bear for us on the little Surtees has been the cooking facilities. 
I have come up with the following, and with a "small" investment and the expert welding skills of Nigel at Everyman, we're sorted. Baitboard/cooker! Perfect! drops in for weekend missions, holds all the cooking gear in a locker underneath, has gas plumbed in up the stem, no need to f**% around with portable BBQs any more.
I love fools' experiments. I am always making them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Darwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 5:28pm
Darwin View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I love fools' experiments. I am always making them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jimm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2011 at 5:23pm
Jimm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

launched out of kawakawa bay on sunday around 1pm.  weather conditions pretty calm  whole lot of thick thick fog on the water which brought visibility right down to less than 500m.  we headed out to skullys reef and into the ruthe passage and looked for sign of which there was none so we moved further into the pakatoa island foul and after seeing a huge column of fish in 16m of water we stopped and put the anchor/berley down, fished for a bit but got nothing but goldfish.

moved on again out to kauri point in 35m and did the same with the same results..... we was using softbaits, strayline and ledgers with mullet/squid/pillies but not much joy.  it was already 3pm the fog was still thick as but we felt we needed to moe so we headed back down to shag rock on the eastern side and anchored up in 12m just outside of the where the current was flowing.  constant stream of goldfish coming on board and did get a few keepers on the strayline both squid and pillies whole.  came back down to skullys again at sundown around 4:45pm and got a few more and by this time the fog had cleared.  fish went off the bite around 5:15 so we headed home, ended up with 8 keepers to 35cm between 3 of us so pretty slow day overall but happy we brought home a feed. 

oh we did catch this really pretty fish off kauri point...... bright bright pink with a black spot in the middle did get a photo on my phone will try to upload it later, any ideas on what it was?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2011 at 8:31pm
tones View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Mint day out weather wise today. Fished outside of Kawau straylining for 4 snaps around 40cm and 5 med kahawai.

As the tide dropped started to pick up those nasty little rock cod.

Gave up on that spot and headed in towards Challenger reef on the bottom end of Kawau. Pulled up close to our limit with more round 40 to 50 cm nout really big and very soft on the bite all in all a good feed or two!

Back just in time to make it a wet job getting the boat back in and not very bloody warm either!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snellie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2011 at 9:43pm
snellie View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Well done tones out there today and good fish you got.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2011 at 6:44am
MJ View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sunday we managed 5 snap and a decent kahawai from 12 to 3pm between Rakino and Noises. My mate fished the same area an hour later and cleaned up with 16 snaps. Apparently the bite came on strongly around 4pm. Anyone else experience that?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jimm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2011 at 4:53pm
Jimm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

yup they were biting from around 4pm and then stopped around 5pm on sunday
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote simsim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2011 at 6:28pm
simsim View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

MJ. We got a couple of snapper and a KY around 11am on Sunday at Woody Bay then went quiet. Had to come in at 2pm so missed the later bite. Were you and your mate using SB or smellies?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 10:36am
Fletch View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep gotta agree the metservice definatley plays a little harder than swell map.....After having a week off work to spend with my kids, and having a shocker of a cold, spotted a good gap for Kawhia Sat arvo, myself, the good lady and a workmate (oh and the Ramco 18 footer...) headed out. Got to the ramp, two others out and started to doubt myself. Maybe 10 knots of wind in the harbour. Committed anyways, and with the boat finally back on the water after too long off it headed out to the bar. Flattest ive ever seen it, maybe 1/4 meter swell, still 10 knots....all good. I couldnt believe only two trailers in the carpark.....

15 - 20 mins later we get to Aotea 35m mark, baits down BOOM! What followed was 2 hours of non stop fishing. Getting a nice line off snaps, plenty of gurnard, ample kahawai and a few pesky sharks and cuda. A great day out had by all and a real good feed for all. Smoker got a thrashing....pity its no Bradley eh Unhappy but biiiigBig smile for us all. Kids, us and all the family and neighbours fed.....thats what its aboutWink I love winter fishing, and better still when you get smiles like this, shes happy, Im happyWink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 1:04pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Originally posted by Jimm Jimm wrote:

launched out of kawakawa bay on sunday around 1pm.  weather conditions pretty calm  whole lot of thick thick fog on the water which brought visibility right down to less than 500m.  we headed out to skullys reef and into the ruthe passage and looked for sign of which there was none so we moved further into the pakatoa island foul and after seeing a huge column of fish in 16m of water we stopped and put the anchor/berley down, fished for a bit but got nothing but goldfish.

moved on again out to kauri point in 35m and did the same with the same results..... we was using softbaits, strayline and ledgers with mullet/squid/pillies but not much joy.  it was already 3pm the fog was still thick as but we felt we needed to moe so we headed back down to shag rock on the eastern side and anchored up in 12m just outside of the where the current was flowing.  constant stream of goldfish coming on board and did get a few keepers on the strayline both squid and pillies whole.  came back down to skullys again at sundown around 4:45pm and got a few more and by this time the fog had cleared.  fish went off the bite around 5:15 so we headed home, ended up with 8 keepers to 35cm between 3 of us so pretty slow day overall but happy we brought home a feed. 

oh we did catch this really pretty fish off kauri point...... bright bright pink with a black spot in the middle did get a photo on my phone will try to upload it later, any ideas on what it was?

check this post out  Jimm.

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Seamower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 1:09pm
Seamower View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Sweeeeeet!
Any of you fish with plactics on the west coast and if so, any suggestions? Me & my buddy got schooled on Saturday, 5 hours & not ONE bite at all Cry but yeah some others who knew what they were doing cleaned up Clap (they were fishing cut bait & heavy sinkers)...
JetSkiFisho & all round dumbass
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 1:17pm
Fletch View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have never given plastics or softbaits a decent go really, something about smelly bait that keeps me going backConfused. Im sure I will, but yeah cut baits all the way for me...ive only been fishing for a year and a half so im sure Ill get round to it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote The cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 1:42pm
The cook View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice work, talk about a mint looking day.

Sunday out of Whangaroa was not so nice. Harbour was a thick brown & bait fish very elusive, particularly anoying as the old man had rigged some flash as bridle rigs for Kingis we didn't get to use.
Once outside there was a solid metre & a half of swell, comfortable enough as it was quite long.

Fishing was slow, fish were there but really soft on the bite, ended up with 4 in the bin, best about 50cm. Southerly picked up & showers started around 11am

In by 2pm, freezing or a##es off.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alanimal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 9:10pm
alanimal View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Going to test out the new ramp at gulf harbor, may try tiri. Been a long couple of weeks of watching the boat sit their in the driveway, so time to get the beast out again! 0530 start - what better way to start the sat morn???

Anyone else poppin out?
By and large the reporting is factual, but in a few instances I have claimed the right of readjusting the facts to which every angler is entitled.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2011 at 4:50am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yep, but closer in, around Rangi
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alanimal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2011 at 5:04am
alanimal View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Let us know how you go  - we are softbaiting it this time.
Page  <1 23456 117>